Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:52 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:35 pm 
Featherweight

I GOT THE POINT

THE FILIPINO CROWD AT THE ARANETA ARE DECIPLINED AND APPRECIATIVE.

THE FOREIGN AUDIENCES IN SOME PARTS OF THE WORLD SURELY ARE FOCUSING THEIR SENSES ON THE FIGHTERS NOT ON THE CROWD AS ONE POSTER HERE STATED.

HOWEVER IF IT HAPPENED THAT THE CROWD HAD BEEN ROWDY AND UNCONTROLLABLE (JUST AS YOU EXPECT IN ANY TENSE COMPETITION ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD), THEN THIS WOULD BECOME A BAD LIGHT.

WELL, GREAT THINGS STARTS FROM SMALL THINGS..

IT'S A GOOD THING TO ACKNOWLEDGE THIS IMAGE BUILDING ON THE POSITIVE SIDE.

HOWEVER, IN MY OPINION, LET'S NOT FOCUS TOO MUCH ON GREAT EVENTS, FOR WE MAY FORGET OR WE MAY NEVER BE AWARE OF THE SMALLER THINGS THAT NEEDS FIXING UP.

MABUHAY TAYO ... IT'S BEEN TWO DAYS ALREADY SINCE PACQUIAO'S VICTORY, BUT I GUESS NOT TO LATE OR TOO LONG FOR CELEBRATION .... HE HE HE

EH EH EH EH EH :verymad: :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:56 pm 
Light Heavyweight

system_virus13 wrote:
NO--

here in italy no one knowz pacquiao except for the pinoys too..

:wink:

-----

Well, you should start being one of the emissaries of the Philippines there and introduced Manny Pacquiao in your locality. I think that's a brilliant idea worth doing... :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:40 pm 
Middleweight

Location: Chicago, IL; Iloilo City; Los Banos; Makati City; Mandaluyong City
Even before PacMan this was already the case....It is the Pinoys themselves who didn't take notice of their own country. This is because most of the Pinoys in the Philippines keep on looking outside and patronize everything that's non-Filipino while those Fil-Ams who already left the country has nothing good to say about their homeland as they are the first one to either criticize or ridicule everything that's Filipino.

The usual questions from foreigners that I often hear or read is that "Why aren't Filipinos aware that they are gifted, they have so much blessings and things to be proud of?"

This is the question that each of us Filipinos should answer and find it in our hearts to honestly reflect upon. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:55 am 
Featherweight

kaldes wrote:
boarleo5 wrote:
Ramrod25 wrote:
And one of the big reasons is Manny's exploits in the boxing arena. Because of Manny's success in this sweet science of boxing, the Philippines and its people are getting exposed to worldwide audience. And the Filipino did not pass this opportunity to show how good we Pinoys are......how educated.....humble and appreciative. Gone were the days where Filipinos were unfairly treated to the lowest level.....abused without let-up.....!!!! Today.....it's different....!!!! Thanks to Manny Pacquiao....!!!!:toast: :toast: :toast:

Brod Rod, I just want to post here an opinion of Greg Macabenta. Alhough, I had not met him in those years of being in the media, I found his article an interesting and refreshing to read. We are engrossed with Manny's success in the ring, but fans should not forget what our fellow Filipinos accomplished in any field of endeavors. Still Manny will remain as a modern hero in boxing and will still be more popular with this era of high tech publicity and media exposure.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

THE GLOBAL PINOY
By Greg B. Macabenta
Other Pinoy boxing greats

WITH all the excitement and pride over Manny Pacquiao’s triumph over Mexico’s Erik Morales, global Filipinos should feel equally proud of the fact that fellow Pinoys have been reaping victories in the ring in America, going back to the early 1900s.

Pancho Villa, Ceferino Garcia and Gabriel “Flash” Elorde have been enshrined in boxing international halls of fame for decades, with the first two winning world championships in those days when restaurants in California carried signs that read, “No dogs and Filipinos allowed.”

Elorde, while coming much later, was the first Filipino boxer to be elevated to the International Boxing Hall of Fame. This was in 1993. He was also the first Asian to be so honored. Years earlier, in 1974, he was named by the World Boxing Council “the greatest junior lightweight boxing champion in WBC history.”

But the romance of boxing somehow becomes sweeter when recalled against a background of racial discrimination and prejudice. In those years when Filipinos were often compared with monkeys, prize fighting offered them a way to assert their manhood and to command respect.

Several years ago, Corky Pasquil, a young Filipino American, produced a documentary that told the tale of Filipino boxers in America in those early years. The film won critical acclaim, along with the Best New Film Award in a Filipino American Video and Film Festival.

The documentary would have been consigned to the archives had the Pacquiao phenomenon not blasted into the scene. Pasquil has resurrected his masterpiece and is now selling copies online.

The Great Pinoy Boxing Era is a 32-minute video that generates genuine pride among Filipinos in America, especially those who remember the period during which the pugilistic triumphs were won.

In those days, walking the streets of California was hazardous to a Filipino’s health. He was likely to get mugged, not just by goons but by policemen because of the color of his skin. One can therefore imagine the thrill that the downtrodden Pinoy felt while watching a kababayan beating up a white man in the ring.

The promotional blurb of The Great Pinoy Boxing Era declares glowingly:

“You’ll be inspired by the courage and pride of these true Filipino heroes. Pancho Villa put the Philippines on the map as the first Pinoy to emerge as a world champion. His career took off in a flurry of events. After claiming championships of the Orient and Australia, he came to the US in May 1921. Villa quickly became a world-class contender and won the world flyweight championship in September 1923. Pancho Villa’s fame inspired future Pinoy boxers. He set the stage for the great Pinoy boxing era.

“Speedy Dado, the Pacific Coast bantamweight champion in 1932, was one of the most well paid Pinoy boxers of that time. He was so successful in attracting full-house crowds that he commanded 50 percent of the gate total every time he fought. Those gate totals were in the range of $7,000 to $10,000.

“Ceferino Garcia was the world middleweight champion in 1939-40. Although he was of large stature, he possessed the quickness and grace of a flyweight. He was known for his powerful ‘bolo punch’ with which he conquered many world class opponents.”

Other Filipino boxers who won world titles in those early years were Small Montana (real name, Benjamin Gan), who became world flyweight champion in 1935 and successfully defended it for two years, until 1937. From 1938 to 1940, Little Dado held the National Boxing Association flyweight crown.

In the 1932 Olympics in Los Angeles, Cely Villanueva of the Philippines won the bronze medal. In 1964 his son Anthony Villanueva did him one medal better by winning the Philippines’ first Olympic silver medal at the Tokyo Olympics.

While Elorde, Garcia and Villa have been immortalized in the boxing world, the Philippines has not been lacking in world champions. Manny Pacquiao follows in the footsteps of many Filipino world titleholders, namely:

• Salvador “Dado” Marino, world flyweight champion from 1950 to 1952.

• Roberto Cruz, WBC junior welterweight champion, 1964.

• Pedro Adigue Jr., WBC world junior welterweight champion, 1968.

• Rene Barrientos, WBC super featherweight title holder, 1969.

• Bernabe Villacampo, WBC flyweight champ, 1969 to 1970.

• Erbito Salavarria, WBC flyweight champ in 1970 and WBA flyweight titleholder in 1975.

• Ben Villaflor, world junior lightweight champ, 1972.

• Rolando Navarrete, WBC super featherweight title holder, 1981.

• Frank Cedeno, WBC world flyweight champ, 1983 to 1984.

• Dodi “Boy” Peñalosa, IBC world flyweight champion in 1987, despite being stricken with polio.

• Gerry Peñalosa, Dodi’s brother, WBC super flyweight champion, 1997.

• Luisito Espinosa held two different world titles, the WBC featherweight crown and the WBA bantamweight title.

In their own time, each one was a hero in the eyes of the Filipino nation. Today, most of them have been forgotten. But the bets are that Manny Pacquiao will be remembered for a long time to come.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mailto:gregmacabenta@hotmail.com

other champs:

Rolando Bohol - International Boxing Federation (IBF) flyweight champion - 1988

Tacy Macalos - International Boxing Federation (IBF) light flyweight - 1988

Eric Chavez - International Boxing Federation (IBF) mini flyweight champion of the world - 1989

Rolando Pascua - World Boxing Council (WBC) light flyweight - 1991

Manny Melchor - International Boxing Federation (IBF) straw weight championship - 1992

Eric Jamili - World Boxing Organization (WBO) straw weight - 1997

Melvin Magramo - World Boxing Organization (WBO) flyweight - 1988

Joma Gamboa - World Boxing Association (WBA) minimum weight - 1999

Malcolm Tuñacao - World Boxing Council (WBC) flyweight - 2000

THE LIST NOT YET COMPLETE ... I MISSED SOMEONE ... (CAN ANYBODY PITCH) .......

:arrow:

Morris East - WBA Super Lightweight Champion - 1992

AHHHHH ... that partially completes the list ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:41 pm 
Heavyweight

Ramrod25 wrote:
Tagay wrote:
deepsweech wrote:
rjay199 wrote:
i dunt agree with u bro phillipines is not just famous cuz of pacman is also because of us filipino in canada and usa filipino are not in lowest in the community we are one of the elite just to let u know

i agree with rj here. same goes here in singapore. in early 90s most of fils here are maids... now the garden city is flooded by filipino talents... IT, banking, medicine, arts & music etc etc... i dont fully believe on what boss ramrod said... manny alone didnt made it happen, we all did.

Same here bro. Here in the Dallas area, Pinoys, mostly health and medical workers, are respected and are socially recognized. They have better car and better houses than many americans. i think the thread starter ought to to do better with his homework.

Yes, I did.....that's why I said worldwide....and North America, where Dallas is, is just a small fraction of what I really meant when I said worldwide. Filipinos in other parts of the world are getting abused....even in some parts of Asia our Filipino women are raped, accused of something imaginary....and worst killed and thrown out of their apartment windows. And because they are Filipinos.....authorities in these nations usually close the cases as suicides.....!!!! Today, worldwide awareness of the Filipino is starting to grow. People in other nations are beginning to show respect to the dignity of the Filipino. The seed of this respect was planted at EDSA I......then it went on when the Filipino talent was showcased by Leah Salonga.....and now it reached its peak with the exploits of Manny Pacquiao in the boxing arena...!!!! A Filipino teacher from Iloilo was even honored by naming a small planet in our Solar System named after her....!!!! Many more talented Filipinos are just waiting in the wings.....!!!! I hope they will have their own chance to prove once more that the Filipino is a race to reckon with in the future....!!!!!
:peace: :peace: :peace:

I Agree with you sir Ramrod... :toast:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:36 pm 
Middleweight

rjay199 wrote:
i dunt agree with u bro phillipines is not just famous cuz of pacman is also because of us filipino in canada and usa filipino are not in lowest in the community we are one of the elite just to let u know

I agree with you, rjay....It may only be now that it seems Philippine is back on the world map again...but for all we know..there have been many Filipinos around the world carving a name for us though silently and patiently....in their respective fields.

It is just saddening, however, that the last people to know this are from my experience most Fil-ams in the US. I don't want to generalize though. I've met Fil-ams (some of them my relatives) in the US who to make themselves look good try to bad-mouthed the Philippines and their fellow Pinoys. They were always criticizing and disowning everything that is Filipino in them in the hope of pleasing other nationalities.

Let us all help in repairing this damage. But first let us start with ourselves. It is our own apparent disbelief in what the Filipino can do that brought us a lot of flak from some discriminating groups of people. In our own little (but decent) way let us not allow other races to trample upon our dignity. We don't do this by throwing garbage in reaction to racial slurs against us but in being respectable in our own respective fields of endeavour and life. There are no short cuts but as a people we can do it. :)

===========================
I thank God I was born a Filipino - Mistah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:38 pm 
Middleweight

Tagay wrote:
deepsweech wrote:
rjay199 wrote:

i agree with rj here. same goes here in singapore. in early 90s most of fils here are maids... now the garden city is flooded by filipino talents... IT, banking, medicine, arts & music etc etc... i dont fully believe on what boss ramrod said... manny alone didnt made it happen, we all did.

Same here bro. Here in the Dallas area, Pinoys, mostly health and medical workers, are respected and are socially recognized. They have better car and better houses than many americans. i think the thread starter ought to to do better with his homework.

Good to know, most of us here realize this. :toast:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:45 pm 
Middleweight

Not_wit_it wrote:
True that the filipino race is recognised, specially in certain professions. However, our economical and political situation will never improve. Call me a pessimist, but the talented filipinos that you guys are mentioning, most of them are abroad. With that in mind, who is really benefitting from their talents? Other countries of course. From an economical standpoint, why would countries need to have a skilled labour market, when they can just poach talent from the third world countries who have spent loads of money training and educating their people.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not sayin these people are wrong to leave their homeland. Life is too hard in the Philippines, therefore if an opportunity arises, people jump at it. People leave, along with their talents in order to gain a better standard of living. The economy will suffer because of it. As long as the economy doesn't improve, people will keep leavin. It's a vicious cycle that will continue to happen.
The hype surrounding Manny just serves as a distraction to make people think that the philippines is back on the map, when really, it keeps on shrinking and shrinking, eventually disappearing.

You are a pessimist alright. It's your problem, man that you think that way. I'm sorry but I hope you learn soon to see the bright side of things.

If you have time, try to read historical accounts that almost all countries in the world had undergone the stage we are in right now. The Philippines as a democratic country is still young. The only difference in our reaction to what is happening is that other countries united to make a difference and change their bad condition....while we keep on fighting each other, think negative about each other, criticize our own without doing anything to help alleviate the situation, and worst some even disown their being a Filipino.

Given our geographic condition, many scattered islands we need to double our effort to be united. The edge of other countries is that physically and logistically they didn't have to deal with scattered islands and thus whatever initiatives they have are less difficult to implement.

We need to work hard, be more patriotic, and help each other. Kaya natin to!