Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:57 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:43 pm 
Heavyweight

By Salven L. Lagumbay
PhilBoxing.com
07 Jul 2006

Mexican hero Oscar 'Chololo' Larios, who put up a gallant stand before losing on a unanimous decision to Manny Pacquiao last Sunday, yesterday told Box-latino that he is not retiring and will return to the gym after a few weeks of rest.

"I do not know yet, but one thing is sure, I will not return to fight as a superbantam... At the moment I am going to take three weeks off for vacation and later I will return to the gymnasium... I will fight in featherweight or super-featherweight, if a title fight is offered," Larios said when asked on his next move.

"I lost well, no regrets. The Filipino Manny Pacquiao is a great boxer and although I felt that I hurt it in third round, I could not follow through."

Upon his arrival in Mexico, the former WBC superbantam champion praised Pacquiao's performance, citing the southpaw's strength and impressive speed, something Larios could not match.

Larios also indicated that for this fight he made a very good preparation. "I thought that it I could get a good result, even by knockout, but it did not happen. Larios also emphasized that Pacquiao's height made him think that he can be manageable, but "I can testify that he is a machine, I felt it very hard, with great physical strength".

The Mexican also clarified that when he fell to the canvas, first inthe seventh, and second in twelfth round, "I was never badly shaken, I rose without any problem and I can say that I made a complete return, although many people thought that I could not finish the fight".

Larios earned a purse of $450,000 for facing Pacquiao, the biggest so far in his career, and saw his marketability take an all-time high, following his gallant stand against the fire-breathing Pacquiao.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Can MAB and EM testify that too? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:37 pm 
Heavyweight

Jess wrote:
By Salven L. Lagumbay
PhilBoxing.com
07 Jul 2006

Mexican hero Oscar 'Chololo' Larios, who put up a gallant stand before losing on a unanimous decision to Manny Pacquiao last Sunday, yesterday told Box-latino that he is not retiring and will return to the gym after a few weeks of rest.

"I do not know yet, but one thing is sure, I will not return to fight as a superbantam... At the moment I am going to take three weeks off for vacation and later I will return to the gymnasium... I will fight in featherweight or super-featherweight, if a title fight is offered," Larios said when asked on his next move.

"I lost well, no regrets. The Filipino Manny Pacquiao is a great boxer and although I felt that I hurt it in third round, I could not follow through."

Upon his arrival in Mexico, the former WBC superbantam champion praised Pacquiao's performance, citing the southpaw's strength and impressive speed, something Larios could not match.

Larios also indicated that for this fight he made a very good preparation. "I thought that it I could get a good result, even by knockout, but it did not happen. Larios also emphasized that Pacquiao's height made him think that he can be manageable, but "I can testify that he is a machine, I felt it very hard, with great physical strength".

The Mexican also clarified that when he fell to the canvas, first inthe seventh, and second in twelfth round, "I was never badly shaken, I rose without any problem and I can say that I made a complete return, although many people thought that I could not finish the fight".

Larios earned a purse of $450,000 for facing Pacquiao, the biggest so far in his career, and saw his marketability take an all-time high, following his gallant stand against the fire-breathing Pacquiao.

nope... they are afraid to admin. :banghead:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:45 pm 
Heavyweight

troubledmind wrote:
Jess wrote:
By Salven L. Lagumbay
PhilBoxing.com
07 Jul 2006

nope... they are afraid to admin. :banghead:

That's why Chololo said - before he left the ring: "Mabuhay Pilipinas. Mabuhay Pacquiao," to the applause of the crowd. He was indeed very pleased and elated. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:53 pm 
Cruiserweight

if i were larios, i wouldnt retire too..... his stock just went up..... a couple more fights and he'll be financially set for life..... hope he doesn't over do it tho, or he'll be doing the jiggy like ali because of boxing inflicted parkinsons disease....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:59 pm 
Middleweight

Larios also emphasized that Pacquiao's height made him think that he can be manageable, but "I can testify that he is a machine, I felt it very hard, with great physical strength".

This statement alone makes Larios a class act, far apart from Morales and Barrera. When he won, Morales, belittled Pacquiao's power. When he lost, he claimed improper training. He even had the gall to claim he was never hurt, just tired, or something to that effect. When Barrera lost, he and his handlers, blamed the forest fire in California, saying he was not himself, that night.. Filipinos know a hypocrite when they hear one. My personal admiration to Oscar Larios. He's a good man. Someday, he may yet find the big success that he has been searching for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:24 pm 
Heavyweight

It's not the end for larios. He can try the featherweigts if he wants to be a champ again. Not the superfeatherweights cuz it's filled up with lots promising fighters. Falling in line is one tough task as you will be battling this guys on your way to the top. Too bad Manny is at the top. :biglaugh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:15 pm 
Welterweight

I'D LIKE TO SEE LARIOS FIGHT SOME OF THE WELL KNOWN FEATHERWEIGHTS OUT THERE LIKE JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ..I THINK HE CAN SLUG IT OUT WITH THEM..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:04 pm 
Bantamweight

fistolero wrote:
Larios also emphasized that Pacquiao's height made him think that he can be manageable, but "I can testify that he is a machine, I felt it very hard, with great physical strength".

This statement alone makes Larios a class act, far apart from Morales and Barrera. When he won, Morales, belittled Pacquiao's power. When he lost, he claimed improper training. He even had the gall to claim he was never hurt, just tired, or something to that effect. When Barrera lost, he and his handlers, blamed the forest fire in California, saying he was not himself, that night.. Filipinos know a hypocrite when they hear one. My personal admiration to Oscar Larios. He's a good man. Someday, he may yet find the big success that he has been searching for.

Korekek bro. Larios.......................................................................................................Barrera, Morales. Ganyan sila kalayo kay chololo, bro. He's a great fighter. Maybe Morales and Barrera are famous but not as good as chololo when it comes to sportsmanship. He is real. True fighter. Can accept defeat. And hey dudes, he is so strong. I can bet with him if he fights either Barrera or Morales.

Hey you two Mexican greats (Morales and Barrera). Try to fight Chololo. Or you guys are just avoiding him. Well, I think so. MABUHAY....PEACE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:59 pm 
Light Heavyweight

To Oca Larios :toast:

To MAB and EM :gun2:

To JMM :crow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:06 pm 
Middleweight

IF HE IS NOT RETIRING, WHY NOT CHALLENGE MAB AND EM. I CAN SEE AN UPSET AGAINST MAB AND THEN, EM LATER. AND THEN, PACMAN-LARIOS II FOLLOWS. ISN'T THAT NICE??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:13 pm 
Middleweight

chain_knuckles wrote:
To Oca Larios :toast:

To MAB and EM :gun2:

To JMM :crow:

:D

can't wait to see him fighting again vs. Scott or Juan... Injin is a shot now, he's old I think. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:24 pm 
Welterweight

SPEAKING OF NEXT MATCH FOR LARIOS. I THINK VALERO is a good opponent with nice record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:47 pm 
Bantamweight

Why retire when win or loose you make money? Right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:38 am 
Cruiserweight

LitMakuh wrote:
It's not the end for larios. He can try the featherweigts if he wants to be a champ again. Not the superfeatherweights cuz it's filled up with lots promising fighters. Falling in line is one tough task as you will be battling this guys on your way to the top. Too bad Manny is at the top. :biglaugh:

If I were Oscar Larios I'd arrange a fight with Eric Aiken he's probably the least harmful in the featherweight division who holds a title. Fight the worst and then later on fight the better oppositions, so he'd know how well he'll perform in a new weight division. Aiken got his belt off of Valdemir Pereira by DQ. He's got 4 loses already in only 20 fights. I wanna see Chololo with a belt and become a 2 time world champ, cuz I think he can 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:38 am 
Welterweight

ironpinoy wrote:
Why retire when win or loose you make money? Right?

Exactly. And after fighting the #1 pound 4 pound best fighter in the world MP he should get more publicity now. I always considered Larios to be the better fighter compared to MAB & EM. He accepts defeat and knows how to handle it well. He doesnt' discredit his opponents. I guess it didn't occur to the other two that they were in the ring with the best fighter in the world!!