Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:22 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:02 pm 
Welterweight

I watched Manny's fight with Oscar Larios and will be watching again this night and it seems to my observation that Manny didn't utilize the ferocity of his uppercut during the said bout ..

Could it be that he is reserving it for the mega-buck duel with ERik Morales?

Manny is definitely molding his right hand, specifically the right hook. It has become a formidable part of his arsenal. This is evident in Round 6 of the Larios fight which is a bit similar with Round 6 of Pac-EM 2.

In Pacquiao's training videos, it is evident that one of his most devastating punches is the uppercut, yet the Pac has not used it even during his past bouts with Erik Morales. The most powerfut shots that he has inflicted are hooks and straights.

Could it be that Manny is having difficulty unleashing an uppercut against opponents taller than him?

He rocked Barerra with a left straight and sent him to the canvass while the uppercut was unleashed during the 3k battery fight wherein he also sent the Thai fighter into the canvass.

With the aforementioned developments..Which is much powerful and effective..Manny's left straight or uppercut?

I hope Manny will unleash that huge uppercut in the upcoming fight against Morales to once again test its mettle and impact.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:13 pm 
Middleweight

Battosai wrote:
I watched Manny's fight with Oscar Larios and will be watching again this night and it seems to my observation that Manny didn't utilize the ferocity of his uppercut during the said bout ..

Manny is definitely molding his right hand, specifically the right hook. It has become a formidable part of his arsenal. This is evident in Round 6 of the Larios fight which is a bit similar with Round 6 of Pac-EM 2.

In Pacquiao's training videos, it is evident that one of his most devastating punches is the uppercut, yet the Pac has not used it even during his past bouts with Erik Morales. The most powerfut shots that he has inflicted are hooks and straights.

Could it be that Manny is having difficulty unleashing an uppercut against opponents taller than him?

He rocked Barerra with a left straight and sent him to the canvass while the uppercut was unleashed during the 3k battery fight wherein he also sent the Thai fighter into the canvass.

With the aforementioned developments..Which is much powerful and effective..Manny's left straight or uppercut?

I hope Manny will unleash that huge uppercut in the upcoming fight against Morales to once again test its mettle and impact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:15 pm 
Lightweight

gud observation bro but what i belive is that manny was just taking his time with that bout with larios. he had difficulty, larios being a moving target. and i think he felt larios' power also that's why he's not comfortable throwing that uppercut that you're talking about. he's just carefull coz he's bout with morales is at stake. he might be hiding some of his moves as wat justin has said in an interview... they'll be bringing out new surprises for eric. i believe that manny's left straight is his bread and butter, combined with speed and also his right hook is a good addition to his arsenal setting up that poweful left of his.

we better ask eric afterwards which is powerfull i think.. hehehe... peace!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:21 pm 
Welterweight

I see.. uppercuts are especially tailored for opponents who keep moving forward..that is why it's difficult fighting Manny toe-to-toe..

Oscar had lateral movement and for that he didn't taste Manny's uppercut because it seems he is evading it..

Yet..I still wish Manny to add the uppercut to the "Manila Ice"..

One way to defeat Erik is for him to be unpredictable..

Last edited by Battosai on Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:27 pm 
Cruiserweight

Battosai wrote:

good observation but i think i saw mp throw an upper cut in the mp-ol bout...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:40 pm 
Heavyweight

Battosai wrote:

--------------------------------------

Manny Pacquiao used his powerful uppercut with Fashang 3-K battery.
It was devastating and awed boxing fans. The Fashang fight was a
tuneup for the Marquez rematch which fizzled out. He fought Morales
instead. After Fashang, he fought Morales, Velasquez, Morales again and
just recently Larios. Manny wasnt able to use his uppercut punch after
Fashang because his next opponents expected and prepared for it
already. Manny tried to use it against Larios.

But right after the Fashang fight, the known and well-studied powerful
uppercut punch of Pacquiao affected the way his next opponents fought
him. They saw the power and they avoided it from happening.

After the Fashang fight, Manny introduced more punching styles at new
angles, lateral movements, defensive skills, effective use of ring space,
counterattak combinations and confidence using the power in his right
hand.

Im sure Freddie Roach is preparing Manny with new skills and abilities in
his next fights. Manny is not reserving anything as you were trying to
point out but improving skills and tactics. According to Roach, Pacquiao
is not yet that complete a fighter. There are more to acquire and
improve.

Meaning Manny Pacquiao will be much much more powerful, skillful,
stronger and unbeatable. And that means greatness.

----------------------
Nice thread, amigo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:45 pm 
Heavyweight

An uppercut is effective only when the opponent is moving forward in a crouched position. That didn't happen during the Pac-EM 2 nor in the Pac_Larios fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:59 pm 
Welterweight

Yes, very well said from all of you..

Manny's uppercut has been his most potent weapon when he was still a so-called one-dimensional fighter..and this affected the way his opponents approach his style..

As earnestly said by most PACLANDERS " STYLES MAKES FIGHTS"..Since Manny's uppercut can inflict an enormous dose of damage, most of his opponents avoid moving forward against Manny.

Erik Morales occasionally used an uppercut against Manny because the latter was an aggressor, always moving forward and forcing his opponents to engage with him in a toe-to-toe action..

Still, I want manny to throw that uppercut against El-Terrible and see if Erik's chin can withstand it.

Do you agree if i say Manny is infallible in a toe-to-toe action?

Last edited by Battosai on Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:56 pm 
Lightweight

BCngDC wrote:
An uppercut is effective only when the opponent is moving forward in a crouched position. That didn't happen during the Pac-EM 2 nor in the Pac_Larios fight.

manny threw a right uppercut on em @ rd4 of their 2nd match.it landed clearly on em's face. a lump on the nose bridge of em noticed after that round. i don't know if that was the uppercut the thread starter mean. if that is then manny used that uppercut on em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:09 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Yes, Manny's uppercut has been one of his best weapon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:44 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Manny always forget how to use it. And when he uses it, it looks awkward. Most of them do not have power. I've seen that a lot of times except that shot on Fashang.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:55 pm 
Lightweight

Battosai wrote:
Yes, very well said from all of you..

Manny's uppercut has been his most potent weapon when he was still a so-called one-dimensional fighter..and this affected the way his opponents approach his style..

As earnestly said by most PACLANDERS " STYLES MAKES FIGHTS"..Since Manny's uppercut can inflict an enormous dose of damage, most of his opponents avoid moving forward against Manny.

Erik Morales occasionally uses an uppercut against Manny because the latter is an aggressor, always moving forward and forcing his opponents to engage in a toe-to-toe action..

Still, I want manny to throw that uppercut against El-Terrible and see if Erik's chin can withstand it.

Do you agree if i say Manny is infallible in a toe-to-toe action?

... hehehe... a boxer whose name is MANNY PACQUIAO is a machine!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:54 pm 
Featherweight

... hehehe... a boxer whose name is MANNY PACQUIAO is a machine!!!![/quote]

Dude, you're really in Mexico? If so, how're the hombres treating you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:51 am 
Welterweight

I agree..Manny oftentimes forget to use that uppercut..it seems he is comfortable with his hooks..HE IS SETTING ASIDE THE UPPERCUT FOR THE MORE SPEEDY AND ACCURATE HOOKS AND STRAIGHTS..

I saw Manny fire that uppercut during his rematch with EM...but I guess it missed..it was just unleashed to stop EM from punching..

I hope Manny can rejuvenate and develop the power of the uppercut..IT EVEN LIFTED FASHANG WHEN HE WAS HIT IN THE JAW..

THE HOOKS, THE STRAIGHTS, PLUS THE THE UPPERCUT..ONE THAT IS DERIVED FROM THE "MANILA ICE" IN TERMS OF 5 OR 6 PUNCH COMBINATIONS...CAN BE CALLED "[b]THE MANILA FLAME"..INFLICTING A 4TH DEGREE BURN IN THE OPPONENT'S CAREERS..[/b]

Last edited by Battosai on Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:00 am 
Welterweight

Battosai wrote:
THE HOOKS, THE STRAIGHTS, PLUS THE THE UPPERCUT..ONE THAT IS DERIVED FROM THE "MANILA ICE" IN TERMS OF 5 OR 6 PUCH COMBINATIONS...CALLED "THE MANILA FLAME"

huh, if manny unleashes these combinations, it would be suffocating for his opponent. i think it's better to call it "THE MANILA POLLUTION" :wink: