Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:57 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:07 pm 
Light Heavyweight

What u guys think?

What would've happened if Morales and Pacquiao fought at both their primes?

http://www.examiner.com/filipino-sports ... eir-primes

Erik 'El Terrible' Morales is definitely one of Mexico's true boxing legends. He, together with career arch-rival Marco Antonio Barrera, epitomized what it is to be a Mexican fighter. The fiery kid from Tijuana was never one to back out from a shootout and possessed a mean streak coupled by a killer instinct reserved only for the most elite gladiators in combat.

Boxing had always been embedded in Morales' DNA. His father trained boxers in their basement growing up, and his superb ring abilities spoke fluently about his advanced skills.

Morales, who is surprisingly only 33-years-old, is currently on the comeback route. Surprising because it seems as if he's been around forever and the fact that he's only 2 years older than Manny Pacquiao and the same age as Floyd Mayweather Jr., people were already calling him washed-up when he fought Pacquiao a third time in 2006.

Don't believe the hype. Morales did have a lot of mileage on him, but his lifestyle of enjoying a cerveza or two on the side plus that guy from the Philippines that throws 10-punch combinations from his back pocket were the main reasons he looked old. Heck, anybody who does 3 fights with Pacquiao will look old. Remember when Pacquiao first beat Barrera then Barrera went on to become the king at 130 and regain his spot as one of the P4P best?

Recently, Morales spoke to our prolific young buck from New York by way of Boston, Mike Marley, and made a comment that he would be far superior than Pacquiao during his prime.

Quotes from Marley's interview with Erik Morales:

“I would like to fight him again but I am not obsessed with him. I am working to get back to the top, back where I was before, to be top of the plateau. I have a six fight plan and this is my second one.

“I will say Manny is a great fighter but I look back and he would give me any weight allowance in our second and third bouts when they knew I couldn’t make 130 pounds. Pacquiao demanded weight penalties of $500,000 for each pound.

(For the record, Morales made 129 ½ pounds for his UD 12 over Pacman and then really strained to make 128 ½ for his TKO by 10 loss and 129 ½ when he got waxed in three rounds.)

"But, when I was right and when I was at proper weight in the first fight (he got stopped in 10 rounds and then in three in their second and third bouts) I showed who the better fighter was then.

“I was the superior fighter and I had the edge in speed and in skills and I beat him in every department.”

With all due respect to Morales, who I consider as my favorite Mexican boxer during his era, at both their primes, I believe Pacquiao would've destroyed him. Skills-wise, yes, I agree. Morales is definitely the superior of the two, and during his peak, there weren't a lot of guys who were better than 'El Terrible'. But the Pacquiao you have now isn't the same Pacquiao Morales beat, nor is it the same guy that made him clinch and kiss the canvas for the first time in his career and utterly destroyed him in three rounds. This version of Pacquiao would destroy that old Pacquiao. He has better footwork, timing, ring generalship and a knock out right hand on top of how he's built up his explosiveness and power through constant hard work and training.

Morales could've employed the same tactic he did the first time around, but Pacquiao will be able to maneuver around it now. Instead of the predictable one-two and headhunting, Pacquiao now mixes up feints and he can hook him with his right, cut him off and counter punch as well. And the thing is Morales' heart is too proud not to want to stand and bang. Had he fought Pacquiao earlier in his career, it would be like his wars with Barrera, except that he would take more damage which might've shortened his career or his ability to compete at the highest level more than his wars with Barrera did.

Only thing is, at what weight would these two men fight at in their primes? Morales was his best at feather and super feather, while Pacquiao reached his peak at around 140. Regardless though, Pacquiao would've been too strong, too explosive and too aggressive for Morales' good. It will definitely be a showdown and sure-fire instant classic, but in the end, Morales will be outgunned and devastated. He should be happy and satisfied with the fact that he can claim that he is the last person who ever beat Pacquiao. A fact that might actually go down in history for good with the rate Pacquiao is going.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:26 pm 
Welterweight

now morales thinking that pacman is on something

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:01 pm 
Heavyweight

at what weight class?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:04 pm 
Heavyweight

A prime Pacquiao is at 140-147......so Morales will get eaten alive....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:08 pm 
Light Heavyweight

panday wrote:
A prime Pacquiao is at 140-147......so Morales will get eaten alive....

in 140 where pacquiao is in his best weight, Morales won't last 2 rounds..ok..might not finish round 1 either..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:09 pm 
Heavyweight

Prime Morales @ Bantamweight vs. Prime Pacquiao @ Welterweight. I pick the latter. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:12 pm 
Heavyweight

dsource1981 wrote:
What u guys think?

Erik 'El Terrible' Morales is definitely one of Mexico's true boxing legends. He, together with career arch-rival Marco Antonio Barrera, epitomized what it is to be a Mexican fighter. The fiery kid from Tijuana was never one to back out from a shootout and possessed a mean streak coupled by a killer instinct reserved only for the most elite gladiators in combat.

Boxing had always been embedded in Morales' DNA. His father trained boxers in their basement growing up, and his superb ring abilities spoke fluently about his advanced skills.

Morales, who is surprisingly only 33-years-old, is currently on the comeback route. Surprising because it seems as if he's been around forever and the fact that he's only 2 years older than Manny Pacquiao and the same age as Floyd Mayweather Jr., people were already calling him washed-up when he fought Pacquiao a third time in 2006.

Don't believe the hype. Morales did have a lot of mileage on him, but his lifestyle of enjoying a cerveza or two on the side plus that guy from the Philippines that throws 10-punch combinations from his back pocket were the main reasons he looked old. Heck, anybody who does 3 fights with Pacquiao will look old. Remember when Pacquiao first beat Barrera then Barrera went on to become the king at 130 and regain his spot as one of the P4P best?

Recently, Morales spoke to our prolific young buck from New York by way of Boston, Mike Marley, and made a comment that he would be far superior than Pacquiao during his prime.

“I would like to fight him again but I am not obsessed with him. I am working to get back to the top, back where I was before, to be top of the plateau. I have a six fight plan and this is my second one.

“I will say Manny is a great fighter but I look back and he would give me any weight allowance in our second and third bouts when they knew I couldn’t make 130 pounds. Pacquiao demanded weight penalties of $500,000 for each pound.

(For the record, Morales made 129 ½ pounds for his UD 12 over Pacman and then really strained to make 128 ½ for his TKO by 10 loss and 129 ½ when he got waxed in three rounds.)

"But, when I was right and when I was at proper weight in the first fight (he got stopped in 10 rounds and then in three in their second and third bouts) I showed who the better fighter was then.

“I was the superior fighter and I had the edge in speed and in skills and I beat him in every department.”

With all due respect to Morales, who I consider as my favorite Mexican boxer during his era, at both their primes, I believe Pacquiao would've destroyed him. Skills-wise, yes, I agree. Morales is definitely the superior of the two, and during his peak, there weren't a lot of guys who were better than 'El Terrible'. But the Pacquiao you have now isn't the same Pacquiao Morales beat, nor is it the same guy that made him clinch and kiss the canvas for the first time in his career and utterly destroyed him in three rounds. This version of Pacquiao would destroy that old Pacquiao. He has better footwork, timing, ring generalship and a knock out right hand on top of how he's built up his explosiveness and power through constant hard work and training.

Morales could've employed the same tactic he did the first time around, but Pacquiao will be able to maneuver around it now. Instead of the predictable one-two and headhunting, Pacquiao now mixes up feints and he can hook him with his right, cut him off and counter punch as well. And the thing is Morales' heart is too proud not to want to stand and bang. Had he fought Pacquiao earlier in his career, it would be like his wars with Barrera, except that he would take more damage which might've shortened his career or his ability to compete at the highest level more than his wars with Barrera did.

Only thing is, at what weight would these two men fight at in their primes? Morales was his best at feather and super feather, while Pacquiao reached his peak at around 140. Regardless though, Pacquiao would've been too strong, too explosive and too aggressive for Morales' good. It will definitely be a showdown and sure-fire instant classic, but in the end, Morales will be outgunned and devastated. He should be happy and satisfied with the fact that he can claim that he is the last person who ever beat Pacquiao. A fact that might actually go down in history for good with the rate Pacquiao is going.

Morales not making 130 easily was his fault. Pacquiao has fought all the way up to 147 pounds but he never ballooned himself in between breaks. Like Marquez, Pac is a gym rat and plays other sports when not in the ring to keep in shape.
As Bernard Hopkins said, You don't get in shape, You gotta keep in shape.
Morales had a habit of blowing up in between fights and then cram losing it when a big fight comes up.

Why did he agreed to fight pac @130 anyway?

Erik tops my list as my all time favorite mexican fighter. He was never in a dull fight!
But this Sounds more like sourgraping to me. :?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:40 pm 
Heavyweight

its still manny pacquiao... currently manny is still in prime...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:42 pm 
Light Heavyweight

a prime morales cannot win 7 division titles. what's the point of comparing bro?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:23 pm 
Light Heavyweight

dsource1981 wrote:
What u guys think?

no offense bro i think your being too biased being a pacfan , the morales vs barrera fights took a lot out of them both and the were never the same after that , although is still believe that we dont need to take anything away from pacman considering that he was a relatively a greenhorn ofghting barrera, ledwaba and morales , but i must admit that morales and barrera were damaged goods conisdering what they did to each other in their previous fights. just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:25 pm 
Light Heavyweight

if pacman continues to fight on and start to lose aguements over a prime pacquaio vs whoever will arise . dont be shy admit it most people here are biased towards pacman symore this is pacland!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:30 pm 
Heavyweight

jogger wrote:
now morales thinking that pacman is on something

hes just jealous
those straight left must showing the effect now

Learning and progress comes from being open minded.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:36 pm 
Heavyweight

That's water under the bridge, so to speak. Panis na (spoiled). A prime Pacquiao lost to a prime Morales by UD but Pacquiao came back to beat a prime Morales by KO 2x. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:39 pm 
Light Heavyweight

The prime Pacquiao is at 140lbs.
The prime Morales is unfortunately in the 130lbs.
So it would be a mismatch...
Maybe they could meet at 135lbs, but Manny will still win via KO.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:39 pm 
Heavyweight

135-147 pacman
126-130 even, but i give pac the edge :p