Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:40 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

do u believe MAB & EM ? yes or no
Poll ended at Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:54 pm
yes? 56%  56%  [ 24 ]
no? 44%  44%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 43
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:09 am 
Cruiserweight

Location: I have my tickets for Heroes Del Silencio's one-night only concert in the USA!!
BCngDC wrote:
With the skill and power he possesses, Pacquiao was bound to be a boxing great. Too bad MAB and EM had to be in his way to have their glory days cut short. Had they beat Pacquiao, then they would have remained the stars. It's ludicrous to say that they lost to make Manny great. People who say this are just trying to salvage something out of MAB's and EM's losses. Sourgraping so to speak.

Pacquiao was bound to be a great fighter ever since he was a baby. However, you can gauge the level of fame Pacquiao acquired by fighting and defeating Barrera by analyzing Pacquiao's stature in the boxing world before and after the Barrera bout. Before he defeated Ledwaba, Pacquiao was an unknown fighter to most boxing fans. After he defeated Ledwaba in stunning fashion, he still remained unknown. It all remained that way until he defeated Barrera. Had Pacquiao defeated any other fighter, he would not have gained so much fame. Pacquiao became famous thanks to Barrera's stature in the boxing scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:17 am 
Strawweight

You may not agree with me. But I believe that his God-given talent made him famous. Therefore, only God made him famous. Not MAB, not EM nor me nor you.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:22 am 
Heavyweight

heroe_del_silencio wrote:
Pacquiao was bound to be a great fighter ever since he was a baby. However, you can gauge the level of fame Pacquiao acquired by fighting and defeating Barrera by analyzing Pacquiao's stature in the boxing world before and after the Barrera bout. Before he defeated Ledwaba, Pacquiao was an unknown fighter to most boxing fans. After he defeated Ledwaba in stunning fashion, he still remained unknown. It all remained that way until he defeated Barrera. Had Pacquiao defeated any other fighter, he would not have gained so much fame. Pacquiao became famous thanks to Barrera's stature in the boxing scene.

True, but had Barrera beaten him, then he would have remained unknown, it was his superior boxing skills that allowed him to knock both Barrera and Morales out that made him famous. Had he lost he remain unknown. But then if it makes you feel good to believe this then go ahead. Salvage some meaning from the two humbling defeats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:24 am 
Welterweight

yeheyyyy , it's now a draw! 13 YES = 13 NO

Thanks so much! BCngDC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:25 am 
Welterweight

sugarmaple2 wrote:
yeheyyyy , it's now a draw! 13 YES = 13 NO

Thanks so much! BCngDC.

or whoever voted last ! thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:26 am 
Cruiserweight

Location: I have my tickets for Heroes Del Silencio's one-night only concert in the USA!!
BCngDC wrote:

True, but had Barrera beaten him, then he would have remained unknown, it was his superior boxing skills that allowed him to knock both Barrera and Morales out that made him famous. Had he lost he remain unknown. But then if it makes you feel good to believe this then go ahead. Salvage some meaning from the two humbling defeats.

Thanks for proving my point, Sir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:29 am 
Heavyweight

Pac beating MAB and EM made him famous.
Fighters are only as famous as their conquests.
Look at Joe Calzaghe. Nobody has heard of him until he whacked Lacy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:31 am 
Cruiserweight

JoeyInCali wrote:

I totally agree, bro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:32 am 
Heavyweight

JoeyInCali wrote:

actually, most of us were aware of who he was, we just didnt give him his 'props' til after he put lacy on his resume

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:34 am 
Heavyweight

BCngDC wrote:

Thanks for proving my point, Sir.

yes, the part when you said Pacquiao skill's made him bound for greatness from the day of his birth. He was destined to beat anyone that crossed his path. Had Barrera or Morales not have been there, there would have been another, and Manny's skill would have allowed Manny to beat whoever he waould have been. Yes, Manny's superior boxing skill made him great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:50 am 
Welterweight

yes=13
NO= 16

WOW TALO NA SILA .... :beer:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:53 am 
Heavyweight

pound4pound1 wrote:
JoeyInCali wrote:

actually, most of us were aware of who he was, we just didnt give him his 'props' til after he put lacy on his resume

Yes, but boxers become famous when the common layman starts knowing them.
If only boxing fans know Pac, he won't be that famous.
Instead you have Hollywood people who recognize Pac b/c he put MAB, JMM and EM on their azzes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:00 am 
Heavyweight

JoeyInCali wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:
JoeyInCali wrote:

Instead you have Hollywood people who recognize Pac b/c he put MAB, JMM and EM on their azzes.

true true...the talent was there...the victories over the bigger names validated it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:03 am 
Welterweight

pound4pound1 wrote:
JoeyInCali wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:
JoeyInCali wrote:

true true...the talent was there...the victories over the bigger names validated it

don't forget to vote! :carnival:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:10 am 
Middleweight

JoeyInCali wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:
JoeyInCali wrote:

I agree. Ledwaba, (maybe even Sanchez) Barerra, Marquez, Morales, Larios all have added to the fame of Pac. He would still be considered a great fighter, but his fame, and his subsequent legendary status comes from the quality of the opponents that he has faced and beaten. Being a Pac fan should not cloud my judgment in everything pertaining to Pac. Gotta give people their due.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next