Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:23 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: No Mas - Part 2
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:57 pm 
Heavyweight

We saw another "No Mas" from a great fighter during a great fight. Will Erik's "No Mas" be treated the same as Duran's "No Mas"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:59 pm 
Heavyweight

Come on!
Duran quit w/out getting KD'd once.
EM quit after taking 70+ power shots.

Post subject: Re: No Mas - Part 2
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:00 pm 
Welterweight

Erap wrote:
We saw another "No Mas" from a great fighter during a great fight. Will Erik's "No Mas" be treated the same as Duran's "No Mas"?

NO. Duran is standing when he says "NO MAS" while eric is on the floor... :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:02 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Erap wrote:

Dude, what r u on? EM got clobbered and there was no reason to continue the fight. It's easy for you to say cuz u'r not in the ring getting beaten to a pulp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:04 pm 
Heavyweight

JoeyInCali wrote:
Come on!

I am not trying to disrespect Erik, but did you really expect that he would shake his head while being urged by his corner. I know that was the right move for Erik. Just wondering if we will see that image of Erik shaking his head 10 years from now. Or, will boxing history just let it go.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:05 pm 
Heavyweight

anignatoyn wrote:
Erap wrote:

Dude, what r u on? EM got clobbered and there was no reason to continue the fight. It's easy for you to say cuz u'r not in the ring getting beaten to a pulp.

It's not a question of what I am on. He did shake his corner off. A "no" answer is sufficient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:09 pm 
Heavyweight

Erap wrote:
JoeyInCali wrote:
Come on!

I am not trying to disrespect Erik, but did you really expect that he would shake his head while being urged by his corner. I know that was the right move for Erik. Just wondering if we will see that image of Erik shaking his head 10 years from now. Or, will boxing history just let it go.

People will forget it.
He was counted out on his seated.
Just like Arguello.
Just like Lupe Pintor against Gomez.
Did not take anything from their legacy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:13 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Erap wrote:
anignatoyn wrote:
Erap wrote:

It's not a question of what I am on. He did shake his corner off. A "no" answer is sufficient.

Dude, the circumstances of Erik's so called 'no mas' is way different from Duran's. Do you even know why Duran did that? He quit because he was annoyed that Leonard was not fighting him head on. He felt that he would quit then and there and just get ready for the next fight. He wasn't hurt at all. I urge you to look it up. That is way more humiliating and degrading than what Erik did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:14 pm 
Welterweight

Erik reminded me of Alexis Arguello in his second fight with Aaron Pryor.
Remember that Alexis just sat and waited for the referee to count him out.
Good thing boxing writers don't mention the incident when discussing about his greatness.

Erik, like Alexis, used his head in opting not to continue. He realized its futile anyway. If he still has it, he will gives his all.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:19 pm 
Heavyweight

anignatoyn wrote:
Erap wrote:
anignatoyn wrote:
Erap wrote:

Dude, the circumstances of Erik's so called 'no mas' is way different from Duran's. Do you even know why Duran did that? He quit because he was annoyed that Leonard was not fighting him head on. He felt that he would quit then and there and just get ready for the next fight. He wasn't hurt at all. I urge you to look it up. That is way more humiliating and degrading than what Erik did.

Yep, he ate that big steak before the fight and he claimed stomach cramps. Sound familiar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:20 pm 
Heavyweight

Im-Pac-To wrote:
Good thing boxing writers don't mention the incident when discussing about his greatness.

Erik, like Alexis, used his head in opting not to continue. He realized its futile anyway. If he still has it, he will gives his all.

This is a very intelligent response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:18 pm 
Welterweight

Manny had Eric in his range very early in the first round connecting with those crisp, clean power shots. Eric was visibly hurt every time Manny found his target,yet Eric never backed down... He's actually nailing Manny against the rope when he got caught by counter left hook. Still Eric Stood his ground. He had never yielded a single inch which gives Manny the opportunity to inflict more punishment. That's why after the second KD in the third round, I still had my respect for Eric intact. He knew he's got enough and quitting under that condition will not in any way diminish my respect for the Mexican warrior. It takes some courage for a person like him to say NO in a simple, plaind and straight manner. Unlike Barrera who used dirty tactics just to avoid more punishment he was recieving from the PACMAN. Sure he didn't say NO, but his eyes exposed it. I would rather prefer the person who have the courage to quit than the person who uses illegal tactics to be able to to halt a bout without appearing to quit. CONGRATULATIONS PACLANDERS. And for Eric, we look forward to seeing you winning again in the ring. Just don't cross PACMAN's way again... :biglaugh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:30 pm 
Heavyweight

Erap wrote:
Im-Pac-To wrote:

This is a very intelligent response.

Yes it is. And the other responses were? How about your thread? Not very intelligent now is it? Comparing EM's decision not to continue after gettting demolished including 3 knockdowns and fighting his best, with Duran's quitting when he was not even badly hurt at all.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:36 pm 
Heavyweight

Erap wrote:

its totally different bro... Duran's "No Mas" is just out of frustation....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:29 pm 
Lightweight

Erap,

Erik's not continuing with the fight shall not in anyway be taken against him. As you may have observed in his first knockdown, he immediately got up despite being hit by a solid left to the ear. And when the referee waged on him to come forward, he immediately stepped forward to express his commitment to fight on.

However, after taking so much punishment with all those PacMan's powerpunches landing, his body simply gave up. Hence, it is not a failure of the spirit but the body having reached it limits of punishment. And it is wise to stop at that point. As boxing fans, we do not want to see such a great champion who contributed to much glory in boxing to be reduced to a pulp and damaged permanently which will inevitably happen given the ferocity of PacMan's attack.

El Terrible's spirit is intact, his courage preserved, his legend assured. It is to our relief that he did not continue fighting. I do not want to see him like what happened to the great Ali himself.

It cannot in anyway be compared to Duran's "No Mas". The closest that you can compare it with is with the Tszyu-Hatton fight, though, it was the corner of Tszyu who decided for him. I know that Morales can fight to the death. But it is his death that I do not want to happen because I have so much admiration and respect for him.