Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:25 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:44 am 
Cruiserweight

To me that agreement was in place so Manny would be able to concentrate on the upcoming fight and not use it as an excuse if he lost.

While Arum is scum of the earth just like any other promoter, he did sign Manny to a 3 million dollar fight compared to his own guy Morales who received 2.75 million. For a promoter to do that who isn't even promoting the guy shows good faith to me.

I for one am an Arum guy because I think he knows how to promote a fight compared to DLH who just uses a bunch of mexican fighters to justify his own success for his ppv's. Do you think GBP can stage a fight in Asia without a non mexican fighter? HELL NO. Arum is already aligned with Wynn and a big megafight in Asia is looming with Valero and Pac.

Regardless if Manny won or lost part III (which in hindsight, Pac wasn't going to lose anyway), I think Manny is a hot fighter who GBP's stable needs Manny more to solidify their boxing credibility than Manny needing Golden Boy. Think about it for 1 second, if Manny is with Arum, who do you think is going to bend over and lose more money for a rematch because Manny is the hotter fighter...Barrera/ Marquez or Manny?

Manny is in the driver's seat with his fame and credibility at this point. With Arum calling the shots and his only prize possession in this division, Manny will be able to get MORE of that piece of pie and less money for GBP in Barrera/Marquez' pocket because they will be dealing with Top Rank.

Why split a purse 50/50 under GBP when you can get 70/30 with Top Rank for Pacquiao?

Being a stablemate of Barrera/Marquez is bad business for Pac because he's going to have to split more money with those non deserving clowns. GBP's loyalty is to their fighters so how each fighter gets more money than the other is impossible.

Arum is the shrewder guy. He can get bigger fights and MORE money for Pac by bypassing GBP's old fart fighters. There's other fish out there like Alex Arthur, Valero and Rocky Juarez who can command top dollar just as much as Barrera with the right kind of marketing.

When will you guys realize that Barrera/Marquez fight with Pac is more about lining their pockets compared to Manny's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:56 am 
Middleweight

DobyZhee wrote:
To me that agreement was in place so Manny would be able to concentrate on the upcoming fight and not use it as an excuse if he lost.

While Arum is scum of the earth just like any other promoter, he did sign Manny to a 3 million dollar fight compared to his own guy Morales who received 2.75 million. For a promoter to do that who isn't even promoting the guy shows good faith to me.

I for one am an Arum guy because I think he knows how to promote a fight compared to DLH who just uses a bunch of mexican fighters to justify his own success for his ppv's. Do you think GBP can stage a fight in Asia without a non mexican fighter? HELL NO. Arum is already aligned with Wynn and a big megafight in Asia is looming with Valero and Pac.

Regardless if Manny won or lost part III (which in hindsight, Pac wasn't going to lose anyway), I think Manny is a hot fighter who GBP's stable needs Manny more to solidify their boxing credibility than Manny needing Golden Boy. Think about it for 1 second, if Manny is with Arum, who do you think is going to bend over and lose more money for a rematch because Manny is the hotter fighter...Barrera/ Marquez or Manny?

Manny is in the driver's seat with his fame and credibility at this point. With Arum calling the shots and his only prize possession in this division, Manny will be able to get MORE of that piece of pie and less money for GBP in Barrera/Marquez' pocket because they will be dealing with Top Rank.

Why split a purse 50/50 under GBP when you can get 70/30 with Top Rank for Pacquiao?

Being a stablemate of Barrera/Marquez is bad business for Pac because he's going to have to split more money with those non deserving clowns. GBP's loyalty is to their fighters so how each fighter gets more money than the other is impossible.

Arum is the shrewder guy. He can get bigger fights and MORE money for Pac by bypassing GBP's old fart fighters. There's other fish out there like Alex Arthur, Valero and Rocky Juarez who can command top dollar just as much as Barrera with the right kind of marketing.

When will you guys realize that Barrera/Marquez fight with Pac is more about lining their pockets compared to Manny's?

if manny gets a minimum of 6 million in his fight with valero, i'm with you
all the way. i don't care how much valero gets. that's arum's problem. ;-)

sikudi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:01 am 
Cruiserweight

wadu wrote:
So why did Bob Arum put in the clause that Manny can't sign with another promoter until after the fight? I'll tell you why, because the scumbag did not want to put in any risk for the next contract. he wanted to make sure that manny would win first before he gives him a signing bonus. Arum was never confident that manny can dispatch Erik morales. Afterall, he is the one who funded Erik's Velocity training regimen. This is why I don't trust this guy man. All this lawsuit hoopla would not have happened if Manny lost to Erik. He would have given him straight to Oscar. Do you know why? because Manny would not be worth as much money as he is right now if he lost that fight. Oscar on the other hand was willing to make that gamble and was there to sign Manny before the fight took place. He knew that Manny would destroy Erik in that fashion. Did you see how easily Bob let Erik morales go after the fight. He didn't even encourage Erik to stay at the Post fight press confernce. If he truly cared about Eric, he would have had high praises for him in front of the media. But erik is just the past for Bob now. Not even a speech for the great Erik Morales that Bob arum knows by the way might have made his last post fight confernce in Las Vegas. No love shown at all. and right after the fight, after the destruction of Erik, Arum declares he is now promoting Manny for good. Makes me sick man. I swear, I believe that DelaHoya is the better move for Manny. I am really concerned about this move as this will dictate Manny's future fights. Oscar is young and rich. he does not need to suck on Manny. Oscar would know what is best for a fighter as he was a fighter himself. What can Bob do for Manny? all the best fights are in the Golden Boy stable now. After a valero fight, who will manny fight next? I hope I'm wrong as I can see Arum winning that lawsuit. If that clause is in the contract, then manny is bound by that and therefore cannot sign with another promoter, making the GBP contract invalid. I hope everything will turn out good for Manny.

Wrong on all counts, Think of Arum as Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars. Erik Morales was like Count Douku. He was old, he served his purpose. Enter Anakin Skywalker aka Manny Pacquiao. He's young, he's bad *** he's got tons of potential. He kills Count Douku, palpatine has a new replacement. That simple. It has nothing to do with Arum funding Erik's velocity training program and hoping that Manny will win. Arum was the happiest guy because he was able to promote the fight and get some cash in the process. And why would Arum give Manny straight to Oscar had Manny lost? Makes no sense. Arum would have no ace in the hole at that division. Oscar is young and rich..Bob is old and rich and they both want a piece of that Pacquiao pie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:02 am 
Cruiserweight

sikudi wrote:
DobyZhee wrote:

sikudi

6 million bucks in Macau money...that is CHUMP CHANGE for Wynn/Arum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:09 am 
Middleweight

DobyZhee wrote:
sikudi wrote:
DobyZhee wrote:

sikudi

then we're settled. :toast:

i don't think golden boy can match that. :D

sikudi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:29 am 
Cruiserweight

sikudi wrote:
DobyZhee wrote:

sikudi

I wonder though if the current volume of viewers can give the businessmen a fair share of income if Manny's purse could be that high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:35 am 
Cruiserweight

DobyZhee wrote:

Good point moneywise!

However, what the fans are clamoring have something to do with conscious/unconscious desire to finally put Manny in "good" hands and money is taken a bit of back seat. GBP has proven that with Barrera who was spared of a rematch to prolong his "career" at the expense of viewers agony.

In not too distant past, Pacquiao has been hounded with manager/promoter controversies. I for one is tired and sick of it. Perhaps, GBP could appease those scars deep inside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:14 am 
Middleweight

Iring-banbanon wrote:
sikudi wrote:
DobyZhee wrote:

sikudi

I wonder though if the current volume of viewers can give the businessmen a fair share of income if Manny's purse could be that high.

i think doby was trying to imply that macau is a haven for those with
thousands of millions to spend. whether the money is legit or not,
hmnn, who really cares. ;-)

kidding aside, maybe the organizers and sponsors are not thinking of ppv
money. wynn is a new hotel and they need the publicity. if they have to
spend on it anyway, why not get manny to do it for them?

a net profit would just be a bonus for wynn.

sikudi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:40 am 
Middleweight

let GBP promotes MP fights and you will get a lesser opponents and not so attractive in ppv. we already forgot what happen to the PPV of MAB. GBP paired him with opponent in lesser category and GBP could only afford to put it in TEXAS AMIGO. do you know why GBP cant put a good opponent against his fighter because his resources is limited.

BOB ARUM is the big kahuna in boxing promotion. period. bob arum is hte #1 pd for pd in boxing promotion...GBP is only maybe the 5th. i put this golden boy as equal as SHAW promotion.

if you want small venue , less exposure and in a samll town in texas fight then pick GBP as your promoter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:55 am 
Welterweight

Manny should stay with his current team... Finkel & Roach... the perhaps GBP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:22 am 
Heavyweight

i cant believe doby found a way to bring star wars into his analogy :biglaugh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:30 am 
Heavyweight

pound4pound1 wrote:

where, where? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:32 am 
Cruiserweight

PACFAN#1 wrote:
Mr Bob Arum has been in this bussiness for many many years and is a master in deception look on how he convince Erik not to retire so he can satisfy his greedy ways luckily Erik was smart enough not to try and get hurt while Mr Arum was laughing all the way to the bank. I think Bob is bluffing about the contract thats why he had a worried look on his face when GBP announce the signing of Pacman. As long as Pacman is the goose that lays the golden egg Mr Arum will take good care of him till the goose stops laying the eggs then its time to eat the goose. But a fighter needs a promoter with connections like Bob that can generate a lot of cash because of his connection with Steve Wynn , HBO , east and west coast boxing and the casino in Macao, In Vegas the gosip is that Arum can offer Pacman up to 8 million to fight in Macao. GBP is also banking on giving Pacman a big payday on the Pacman vs Barrera fight but I doubt if they will be able to match Top Rank. GBP has no connection with the casinos in Macao, China. either way Pacman with his popularity will start making mega money for all his fights starting 2007 and will be the wealtiest in sports not only in the Philippines but in all of asia but yes his going to have to got to bed with either Bob or Oscar. Freddie Roach has no contacts in making that kind of money. However Pacman should only sign contracts one year at a time all the income Pacman has earned right now are peanuts compared to what his income will be next year. Thats why you have Bob, Oscar , Finkle ,all the greedy lawyers and all the filipino team pacquaio looking up his *** because he is the goose that lays the golden eggs and I feel Pacman has not fully understand his situation and still just wants to make everybody happy which spells T R O U B L E !!!!!! he needs to fire everyone at Team Pacquaio except for Buboy, Freddie Roach & Wild Card GYM staff . and just have a hire a few people he can trust and work with either GBP or TOP Rank and retire with dignity.

If that's true then that's Mayweather money. If you think about it Manny fights exiting matches than PBF yet PBF gets almost 10 mil everytime fighting has been fighters. He's very close to unseating PBF in the pound 4 pound chart so I think that is reasonable money.

I think you're right, Manny will even become more popular in the US next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:33 am 
Heavyweight

Lakeshow9 wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:

where, where? lol

f'n doby man:

"Wrong on all counts, Think of Arum as Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars. Erik Morales was like Count Douku. He was old, he served his purpose. Enter Anakin Skywalker aka Manny Pacquiao. He's young, he's bad *** he's got tons of potential. He kills Count Douku, palpatine has a new replacement"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:36 am 
Heavyweight

pound4pound1 wrote:
Lakeshow9 wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:

where, where? lol

f'n doby man:

"Wrong on all counts, Think of Arum as Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars. Erik Morales was like Count Douku. He was old, he served his purpose. Enter Anakin Skywalker aka Manny Pacquiao. He's young, he's bad *** he's got tons of potential. He kills Count Douku, palpatine has a new replacement"

bwahaha.

but understand, I do
:swordplay:

who's GBP? is Obi Wan = Roach? who's yoda lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next