Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:20 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:34 am 
Light Heavyweight

That day Morales, who will be seeking to become the first Mexican fighter to win world titles in four weight classes when he faces Diaz on HBO August 4 in Diaz's hometown, was asked what his view of the new 135-pound champion he was preparing to challenge was. The Legend smiled at the thought before he said dismissively of the former U.S. Olympian, "He has a lot of amateur experience. Sometimes he looks like an amateur out there."

*Do u think Morales has no respect for Diaz? I hope not. Morales is in for a hard fight. But am still rooting for El Terrible!*

http://www.hbo.com/boxing/events/2007/0 ... _diaz.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:27 am 
Middleweight

I saw WBC lightweight Champion David Diaz a few times. His accomplishments, being a champion, appear to be slightly greater than one-to-two lucky power punches, banking the fact that his previous opponents were never distinguished in the public eye as good boxers nor brawlers. Erik chose him to revive his great salemanship in boxing because that said Diaz is the lesser evil and an easy prey than Juan or Julio Diaz, both champions of the same weight class in the WBO and WBA respectively.

Erik Morales, I believe, will knock him out within 10 rounds.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:38 am 
Heavyweight

Not sure if Erik's talking smack here or is trying to psyche himself up. The fight on Aug 4 ain't gonna be a cake walk. I see Erik rejuvinated and winning as he has had the higher caliber opponents, more experience and a career to revive. Fighting at 135,the fans might witness the come back of the El Terrible Morales.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:02 am 
Light Heavyweight

i read in the hbo article that Diaz was well behind the scorecards before knocking out his opponent to win the WBC Title. I believe Morales can outbox Diaz for a win.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:01 am 
Heavyweight

Location: The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
So why should Erik fight title holder Diaz when he's an amateur. Should he not build him up as a worthy opponent so that boxing fans will be interested to watch the fight. Wrong marketing strategy! He should take a lesson from the Pacman.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:15 am 
Light Heavyweight

THE BIGGEST QUESTION HERE IS: CAN MORALES REALLY FIGHT AT 135 LBS.? TAKE A LOOK AT THE FIGHT WITH RAHEEM WHERE HE ABSORBED A UNANIMOUS DECISION LOSS. ITS A MAKE OR BREAK FIGHT FOR ERIK. IF HE LOSES THIS ONE, THEN ITS TIME TO HANG UP THE GLOVES.! 8) 8) 8)

" Manny Pacquiao has beaten more Latinos than the police! "

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:32 am 
Middleweight

Having Morales fight David Diaz to revitalize the former's better salemanship in the boxing world brings him to a higher level of marketability. Morales targets the possession of the WBC Lightweight Championship belt this time. Some said it is a wrong strategy. But, Las Vegas marketing experts surrounding this August 4 campaign and even Boston strategists Kaile Kaplan and Harold Sterling both believe that such move by Morales will catapult him to a higher level of marketability.

I, for one, subscribe the same view, as this event is carefully orchestrated to boost another highlight for Morales legendary trail-blazing trek.

Remember, only fools issue hasty judgment, without giving fair regard to proper argumentation, if not sound analysis.

Let us watch and enjoy the fight!