Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:06 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:27 pm 
Middleweight

Silverbullet wrote:
noel3393 wrote:
The sense of strong nationalism is very evident and that's good, but don't you think "Nang Mamatay Nang Dahil Sa 'Yo." is way too morbid to be used as Manny's 'slogan'?

The impression is that Manny is facing great odds in his coming fight and, literally, he will be fighting for his life.

Yeah the slogan of his commercial is too morbid that it sounds fake and outright corny. It also sounds cheap than noble as in even if it translates to "to die for you?" it does not sound classy in tagalog.

It is also phony in the sense that Pac does not go in there for his life, he goes in there to get paid 2-3million dollars or 100-150million pesos. I am sure that many posters here will get a pair of gloves and go in the ring against Barrera if one will get paid that much money. Boxing is a deadly sport, but it is still a controlled sport with rules, if MP goes there like a gladiator in ancient Rome where he has to kill or be killed for the honor of his country without being paid a single peso, then that is the time that he is ready to die for this country.

The Nike commercial is just a business add with a gimmick mentioning the term "mamatay".

How can they think of this kind of ad campaign when Manny said last June that he would only fight for himself and his family after he lost his congressional bid for Gen. Santos?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:38 pm 
Heavyweight

It could be only because the Nike Advertisement people were not doing their research very well. Or if they did, they must have “overdone” it in trying to exploit the Filipino psyche that has a fixation on death or anything negative. We celebrate not birthdates but death anniversaries of heroes like Jose Rizal and Ninoy Aquino with the same zeal that we celebrate the Fall of Bataan, the Death March, People Power 1, etc. There is something about the concept or prospect of death that never fails to awaken that nationalistic spirit within us and unite us as a people.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:03 pm 
Cruiserweight

margonz wrote:
kidlatkamao wrote:
margonz wrote:
"Nang Mamatay Nang Dahil Sa 'Yo." Why Death?

This is funny.... from what song did you get this line?
Either you're playing stupid or simply stupid. :? I'm sure you're pinoy. National anthem mo di mo alam.

kidlatkamao: Are you telling me I did not know the lyrics of Lupang Hinirang? You're funny too. Perhaps you need to carefully read the lyrics of Lupang Hinirang yourself. Here's a link for you.

[url]http://www.lyricsdownload.com/david-gates-lupang-hinirang-philippine-national-anthem-lyri

cs.html[/url]

hes playing stupido....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:12 pm 
Lightweight

This is funny.... from what song did you get this line?[/quote]Either you're playing stupid or simply stupid. :? I'm sure you're pinoy. National anthem mo di mo alam.[/quote]

kidlatkamao: Are you telling me I did not know the lyrics of Lupang Hinirang? You're funny too. Perhaps you need to carefully read the lyrics of Lupang Hinirang yourself. Here's a link for you.

[url]http://www.lyricsdownload.com/david-gates-lupang-hinirang-philippine-national-anthem-lyri

cs.html[/url][/quote]

hes playing stupido....[/quote]

mga bro, wag n'yo nang pag-awayan ang lupang hinirang..... baka 'pag pinakanta s inyo 'yan, matulad lang kayo kay CHRISTIAN BAUTISTA!!! nakakahiya lang.... NATIONAL ANTHEM 'di pa alam!!! so sad!! :( :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:31 pm 
Heavyweight

Silverbullet wrote:
noel3393 wrote:
The sense of strong nationalism is very evident and that's good, but don't you think "Nang Mamatay Nang Dahil Sa 'Yo." is way too morbid to be used as Manny's 'slogan'?

The impression is that Manny is facing great odds in his coming fight and, literally, he will be fighting for his life.

Yeah the slogan of his commercial is too morbid that it sounds fake and outright corny. It also sounds cheap than noble as in even if it translates to "to die for you?" it does not sound classy in tagalog.

It is also phony in the sense that Pac does not go in there for his life, he goes in there to get paid 2-3million dollars or 100-150million pesos. I am sure that many posters here will get a pair of gloves and go in the ring against Barrera if one will get paid that much money. Boxing is a deadly sport, but it is still a controlled sport with rules, if MP goes there like a gladiator in ancient Rome where he has to kill or be killed for the honor of his country without being paid a single peso, then that is the time that he is ready to die for this country.

The Nike commercial is just a business add with a gimmick mentioning the term "mamatay".

Obviously, you know your history.

But also, in World War 2, the Kamikaze pilots would have loved to use "Ang Mamatay Ng Dahil Sa 'Yo." as their slogan as they embark on their one-way mission with death in fighting the Americans.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:57 am 
Middleweight

parabulang wrote:
Either you're playing stupid or simply stupid. :? I'm sure you're pinoy. National anthem mo di mo alam.[/quote]

cs.html[/url][/quote] :lol:

hes playing stupido....[/quote]

mga bro, wag n'yo nang pag-awayan ang lupang hinirang..... baka 'pag pinakanta s inyo 'yan, matulad lang kayo kay CHRISTIAN BAUTISTA!!! nakakahiya lang.... NATIONAL ANTHEM 'di pa alam!!! so sad!! :( :([/quote]

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:16 am 
Welterweight

Dapat yata kase "... ang mamatay nang dahil sa yo"....

hindi "nang mamatay ng dahil sa yo..."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:16 am 
Heavyweight

CallCenterVet wrote:
Dapat yata kase "... ang mamatay nang dahil sa yo"....

hindi "nang mamatay ng dahil sa yo..."

The "nang" in "ang mamatay nang dahil sa yo" is wrong because in English "nang" is "when".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:50 pm 
Lightweight

kidlatkamao wrote:
margonz wrote:
"Nang Mamatay Nang Dahil Sa 'Yo." Why Death?

Either you're playing stupid or simply stupid. :? I'm sure you're pinoy. National anthem mo di mo alam.

agree! I even know the whole story about this line in Philippine national anthem even i am a fil-jap and grown up in sapporo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:13 pm 
Welterweight

c4pacfan wrote:
kidlatkamao wrote:
c4pacfan wrote:
Kidlat sometimes people point out errors with just hints

lyrics written by the author "Nang mamatay nang dahil sa iyo"

actual lyrics from the national anthem "Ang mamatay nang dahil sa iyo"

Its just a typographical error. Nadagdagan lang ng N di pa pinalampas. :(

In his case that typo error is big, he killed the Pacman :)

NOW THIS SHOWS paclanders have brain... we should be very careful with our words... anyway, "ang mamatay ng dahil sa'yo" shows patriotism. death is the ultimate sacrifice we could offer to our country. So many have died already for our country, most of them we considered heroes.. Nike wants to show how patriotic pacman is... we regarded him as our hero anyway...
"kung kaylangan lumaban ako araw araw, para lamang magkaisa lahat ng Pilipino, ay lalaban ako...-Manny Pacquiao".. di kaya mamatay si Manny jan? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:23 pm 
Cruiserweight

god uR stupid

Oh it's so soooft.

Ahh! Your p*ssy hates me...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:44 pm 
Heavyweight

c4pacfan wrote:
noel3393 wrote:

"Ang mamatay nang dahil sa iyo" would have a different interpretation"

you killed him already :)

...this is the correct line...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:32 pm 
Welterweight

This is a spin off of the question when manny dock the world cup an bring the ire of most fanatics and boxings fans.
Its actually a big mistake on manny career and its one of the things to justify it. As they questions his body language on what is really honest of him. I know as it deducted points on his support and popularity and i admit im one of them.
This ad is only to milk us and make a million out of us. well i say it is. but as a boxing fan i dont really care.so being nationalistic is just pure bull.. i want to be entertained but he being nationalistic i dont agree. but to go straight to the topic, really its an ignorant question if your pilipino. but if your not then its something that we can tell you. its a line on our national anthem. to offer yourself to your motherland even in death. short for nationalism.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:26 pm 
Heavyweight

kumander_alibasbas wrote:
This is a spin off of the question when manny dock the world cup an bring the ire of most fanatics and boxings fans.
Its actually a big mistake on manny career and its one of the things to justify it. As they questions his body language on what is really honest of him. I know as it deducted points on his support and popularity and i admit im one of them.
This ad is only to milk us and make a million out of us. well i say it is. but as a boxing fan i dont really care.so being nationalistic is just pure bull.. i want to be entertained but he being nationalistic i dont agree. but to go straight to the topic, really its an ignorant question if your pilipino. but if your not then its something that we can tell you. its a line on our national anthem. to offer yourself to your motherland even in death. short for nationalism.

Indeed, the national anthem is “makabagbagdamdamin” right up to the “ang mamatay ng dahil sa ‘yo!” part, especially when sung with “feelings”.

If only we really love our country that much. And I mean not of the “rah-rah” kind that we normally see and hear from the traditional politicians, activists and radical soldiers.

But that is a big IF.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:46 pm 
Heavyweight

noel3393 wrote:

Why not request any of the Mods to lock your thread? :peace:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next