Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:44 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:09 pm 
Welterweight

Unbelievable!!! Pacquiao just won by beating a guy in his own game, Barrera is supposed to be the boxer and yet Manny outboxed him, what more can you ask? Boxing isn't just about KO's and there's a science behind it. For those unappreciative "boxing" fans, If you're looking for more out of Pacquiao's feat, stop acting like a 'fan' and just go watch MMA instead...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:51 pm 
Welterweight

Well I thought Manny fought a good fight - not his best, but a good enough fight...

Offensively, he wasn't as explosive, aggressive and exciting as the last 2 Morales fights, neither was he as accurate. Apologies, because i can't find the compubox reports, but I do recall that he DID have a higher work rate and accuracy rate in the Morales fights (he was simply prolific) - though this could also be attributed to the fact that Morales was engaging MP, while Barerra was content to backpedal and stay on his feet. Admittedly, there were moments when he was flat-footed (tryin to catch the back-pedalling MAB)... there were moments when he seemed frustrated at not being able to land his potent blows... there were moments when he'd unleash 3-4-5-6 punch combinations with less accuracy than before (he'd land 2-3 punches where he used to be able to land 3-4 - tribute also to MAB's evasive tactics)... there were also moments when he seemed to be gasping for air (he seemed to lack his usual conditioning, but i'd still say that at 85%-90% he was in better condition than most boxers). And there were times when he seemed to lack the ability to adjust mid-round to MAB's ever-changing movements (i.e., he'd make his adjustments only at the start of the following round, after conferring with his corner) But the "slowed down" pace DID suit that seemingly slight lack of conditioning.

However, on defense, I'd have to admit that this WAS one of his best defensive performances in terms of head movements, keeping his hands up, and evasive footwork. (As I said earlier, I can't find the link anymore, but MAB's compubox hit rate was a measly 30% for powershots and 20% for jabs).

But in general (in general meaning for the most part, with a few exceptions along the way - i.e., see above), I think he did display a fairly well calculated offense, and a relatively tight defense. And though he was not necessarily the best at it yet, and at times was inconsistent with it, he showed that he IS capable of boxing his way to victory. There's still room for improvement as a boxer (i.e., more consistency, more patience, and a bit more adaptability), but last Saturday's performance displays that he has significantly matured as a figher. And that type of boxer-puncher all-around game is what he'll need against fighters like JMM and Juan Diaz.

Kudos to Manny for an overall good performance!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:35 pm 
Lightweight

Bro, why not try to be Manny's next opponent? And see if your observations are right? :grenade:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:49 pm 
Welterweight

dempseyroll wrote:
Bro, why not try to be Manny's next opponent? And see if your observations are right? :grenade:

What's your point?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:07 pm 
Cruiserweight

"what happened to his NO FEAR motto?"

it changed to "just do it." =/

LeeBog...look at the compubox numbers...Manny was way more accurate in this fight than any of the Morales fights

Oh it's so soooft.

Ahh! Your p*ssy hates me...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:34 pm 
Heavyweight

I think Manny was taking it easy, just practicing his defense and counterpunching, just "fooling around". If we believe Roach and Manny, it was the plan all along - which of course will affect Barrera's plan, he only expects Manny to keep coming forward.

So I rate it at a very good performance, being the first time that MP is not in full attack mode, and against a Class A fighter. 8/10 overall for me, same as Roach's assessment.

Furthermore, it is a very good performance in the sense that Barrera said Manny had very good defense. Now, that is a first too. Who would ever think a statement like that will be heard regarding Manny Pacquiao ?

It's also a new problem for future opponents. They wouldn't know what mode the Pacman will be in when they fight him ... every fight, Pacquiao is becoming unpredictable ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:02 pm 
Featherweight

gritsteel2 wrote:
I think Manny was taking it easy, just practicing his defense and counterpunching, just "fooling around". If we believe Roach and Manny, it was the plan all along - which of course will affect Barrera's plan, he only expects Manny to keep coming forward.

So I rate it at a very good performance, being the first time that MP is not in full attack mode, and against a Class A fighter. 8/10 overall for me, same as Roach's assessment.

Furthermore, it is a very good performance in the sense that Barrera said Manny had very good defense. Now, that is a first too. Who would ever think a statement like that will be heard regarding Manny Pacquiao ?

It's also a new problem for future opponents. They wouldn't know what mode the Pacman will be in when they fight him ... every fight, Pacquiao is becoming unpredictable ...

you got it right there gritsteel.
thanks for posting that thought ahead than I would have.
that would make other boxers try to reckon more how would manny take them.
now lets brimg them on!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:03 pm 
Light Heavyweight

The truth is, Manny box in a safe side because he is not confident on his conditioning.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:38 pm 
Middleweight

The Pac-MBB fight was pure ****. It made the ODLH-PBF looked like a Hagler-Hearns fight. Neither man deserved any credit-MAB for backpedalling most of the fight, and for Pac for just being satisfied to cruising his way to a decision. It was boring as hell. Frankly, there is nothing to celebrate for this win because the fight itself is so poor and it exposes a lot of Pac's weaknesses- all speed, no power.