Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:05 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:25 am 
Heavyweight

It's very obvious titles do not mean much TO Manny b/c he doesn't like paying for sanctioning fees.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:28 am 
Heavyweight

Yep this topic has been discussed here to death but for the benefit of the new members let's talk about it again.

Manny has gotten to the point where he is above the belt. Go figure why the belt holders are calling him out. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Do you think these fighters want his puny interim belt? No way. What they want is the money and the instant shoot up to stardom if they beat Manny. The title will come in due time right now what Manny and his associates need to do is milk his boxing talent to the fullest and earn the biggest paydays they can. A fighter's career is short so it just makes sense to make the most out of it.

Let's talk about the sanctioning bodies. Imagine if a fighter wins one of the lesser alphabet belt. That same fighter will be listed in boxrec as champion. Is that fair to the other belt holders of the more prestigious sanctioning bodies? Certainly not. They may not even be in the same league. Let's say Manny wins a belt from a major sanctioning body does that prove anything? NO. There are still other champions in the other Alphabet organizations thus watering down his status as there is not one lineal champ. Suppose Manny unifies all the belts in the sfdivision and suddenly decide to fight at lightweight. It's almost certain he would have to relinquish those belts (I believe this happened to Ricky Hatton when he moved up in weight) to the interim champs of their respective sanctioning bodies. After a successful bid if he decides to fight at super feather again the same recognition as champion bestowed on him previously won't be restored and he'll end up fighting the "new" champs again. So this is where the dilemma lies. Manny's lucky because even if he isn't the champion he is recognized by fans, analysts and other fighters themselves as the true champ and the man to beat in his division. That is what I know so correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by mexifan on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:29 am 
Light Heavyweight

cayerica wrote:
MostWanted wrote:
Money first...titles second.

Initially, I thought it would be nice to have a title, but today, I read that the sanctioning fees are 30%???? WHOA...I'll take the money first if that is true about the alphabet organizations.

Then make 30% markup to the fighter's contract fee. It's like eVAT in the philippines. It's the consumers who actually pay for the eVAT and NOT the businessmen. WHOA... Try this SIMPLE business. Go for the belts, money will come along with it....

You really believes that a belt will translate to a higher payday. JOse Sulaiman, is that you?... even without the belt Manny is already receiving more that what some of the boxers with legit belts regardless of wieght division (except mayweather and the likes). Manny's marketability sky rocketed because of his reputation not because he is wearing any belt... Not unless your an upstart boxer you must need a belt to demand a higher purse, but Manny is already their in the elite level of boxers and he can demand whatever purse he desires... a legit belt can help but definitely it is not required... in Manny case of course.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:41 am 
Strawweight

i think money!! :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:44 am 
Heavyweight

Will a title belt take care of pacman and his family when he finally hang-up his gloves? I'm sure money will :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:17 am 
Heavyweight

checked wrote:
Will a title belt take care of pacman and his family when he finally hang-up his gloves? I'm sure money will :lol:

well said chief!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:40 am 
Bantamweight

the only prestigeous and legitimate title out there is the ring magazines championship belt ( the true peoples champion)..all the so called boxing organization governing bodies are all corrupt and high sanctioning fees required for all championship bouts which I think the reason why pacman does'nt care fighting for belts anymore. obiously, Manny and majority of the fighters nowadays fights for muuulaaah! if Manny just want a title belt he could've gotten that long time ago by fighting Fana without a sweat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:57 pm 
Heavyweight

it's all about the money bro
if not, then why would he not fight jmm again?
IF the price is right

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:05 pm 
Welterweight

WELCOME NEOPHYTE !!!!!!

THE TPIC WAS ALREADY DISCUSSED MANY TIMES.READ MY POST BEFORE!!