Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:11 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1235 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 83  Next
 Post subject: Architecture 101
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:56 am 
Light Heavyweight

Hi Paclanders,

I just want to share my knowledge about Architecture. I am a registered architect in the Philippines and practicing architecture for almost 5 years. I graduated from my Mapua Institute of Technology and now working here in Singapore.

If you have any questions and queries relating Architecture and my work, I will try to answer the best that I can. If you are studying architecture or any related topics or planning to take up this course, I’m willing to help you with my full knowledge and information.

Here are the lists/topics we can discuss:
Basic Architecture
Designing (residentials, recreationals, Hotel and resorts, High-rise buildings, hospitals, airports and terminals etc.)
Urban Planning (subdivisions and large-scale projects)
Interior Design
Landscaping
Project Management
Site/Construction Inspection
Basic Drafting
AutoCad Drafting (w/ 3D)
Microstation Drafting
Renderings (water color, poster color, markers, colored pencil etc.)

P.S.
Mods please be very strict for unrelated and idiotic posts. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Architecture 101
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:14 pm 
Middleweight

wow architect, I just found out now that you are real! :D

I hope you could help me coz Im taking up architecture also in Mapua(now Malayan) :(

I will now start calling you "sir", only in this class ha! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:24 pm 
Light Heavyweight

BRUSKO wrote:
wow architect, I just found out now that you are real! :D

I hope you could help me coz Im taking up architecture also in Mapua(now Malayan) :(

I will now start calling you "sir", only in this class ha! :lol:

Sure Bro!
It was my pleasure to help my fellow Pacfans on this class!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:30 pm 
Heavyweight

Which one is better for architecture tools, Staedtler or Rotring??

I never used Rotring except for my triangles. All of my tech pens are Staedtler :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:43 pm 
Heavyweight

Would you recommend exposed piping for the waterline for easy maintenance?
Would you recommend a column-less single story building to save on materials?
Is it possible to design and build a building without an architect? Would you recommend it?
What is the reasonable rate to charge prospective clients? Isn't 7 to 10% to much? Is an architect better than a civil engineer?

“I sympathize with those who would minimize economic entanglement between nations. Ideas, knowledge, art, hospitality, travel should of their nature be international. But let goods be homespun and finance be primarily national.”
-Keynes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:52 pm 
Light Heavyweight

SieteSuerte wrote:
Which one is better for architecture tools, Staedtler or Rotring??

I never used Rotring except for my triangles. All of my tech pens are Staedtler :D

Staedtler is better than Rotring
But Rotring is cheaper.
For Tech Pens, I used also Staedtler but for other tools
I used other cheaper brands

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:08 pm 
Middleweight

wow nice forum... i'm architectural drafting graduated...this is good for me...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:29 pm 
Strawweight

Architect, your offer to help us is quite timely as I'm planning to expand my home by some
20 sqms more or less, and heeding the advice of my friends that it's much cheaper to use
a 20footer container van, my concern is....what is the best way to insulate the van/s from
getting struck by lightning?

thanks for your advice...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:53 pm 
Light Heavyweight

gudz511 wrote:
Is it possible to design and build a building without an architect? Would you recommend it?
What is the reasonable rate to charge prospective clients? Isn't 7 to 10% to much? Is an architect better than a civil engineer?

1. Actually, all waterlines are designed to be exposed. It was hidden in a shafts(small rooms) for easy maintenance. Sometimes, residentials in RP are not using this instead of roughing in pipes to save space.
2. Architect are meant to be the chief designer of any building. It's not possible to build without an architect. Also, architects sign plans for application of building permit. How can you get a permit without an architect signing in.
3. For residentials, the rule of thumb is 10% of project cost. Sometimes some well known architects like Locsin, Manosa, Palafox etc. can charge up to 20% to 30%. And there's a different computations for bigger projects
4. Architect is very different from Civil Engineer. We cannot compare who's better. The role of the Architect is the superior designer or chief consultant of any project. Civil Engineers are consultants concentrating on STRUCTURAL side only. Also, there are lot of different Engineering specialty like Mechanical, Electrical, Computers etc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:00 pm 
Lightweight

Hi Bro, i need your help, i need a design for a 2 storey building for my 154 (14mx11m)sq m commercial lot in the Phils. i know this is too much too ask for free, pm me, we can met and discuss things over.thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:03 pm 
Heavyweight

architect wrote:
Hi Paclanders,

I just want to share my knowledge about Architecture. I am a registered architect in the Philippines and practicing architecture for almost 5 years. I graduated from my Mapua Institute of Technology and now working here in Singapore.

If you have any questions and queries relating Architecture and my work, I will try to answer the best that I can. If you are studying architecture or any related topics or planning to take up this course, I’m willing to help you with my full knowledge and information.

Here are the lists/topics we can discuss:
Basic Architecture
Designing (residentials, recreationals, Hotel and resorts, High-rise buildings, hospitals, airports and terminals etc.)
Urban Planning (subdivisions and large-scale projects)
Interior Design
Landscaping
Project Management
Site/Construction Inspection
Basic Drafting
AutoCad Drafting (w/ 3D)
Microstation Drafting
Renderings (water color, poster color, markers, colored pencil etc.)

P.S.
Mods please be very strict for unrelated and idiotic posts. Thanks

cheers colleague :beer:

PACLAND: where pacquiao fans around the world congregate.

To talk about floyd! LMFAO!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:07 pm 
Heavyweight

architect wrote:
gudz511 wrote:

1. Actually, all waterlines are designed to be exposed. It was hidden in a shafts(small rooms) for easy maintenance. Sometimes, residentials in RP are not using this instead of roughing in pipes to save space.
2. Architect are meant to be the chief designer of any building. It's not possible to build without an architect. Also, architects sign plans for application of building permit. How can you get a permit without an architect signing in.
3. For residentials, the rule of thumb is 10% of project cost. Sometimes some well known architects like Locsin, Manosa, Palafox etc. can charge up to 20% to 30%. And there's a different computations for bigger projects
4. Architect is very different from Civil Engineer. We cannot compare who's better. The role of the Architect is the superior designer or chief consultant of any project. Civil Engineers are consultants concentrating on STRUCTURAL side only. Also, there are lot of different Engineering specialty like Mechanical, Electrical, Computers etc.

wow! cool! your indeed for real.. :D includes also the special allied services..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:11 pm 
Light Heavyweight

architect wrote:
gudz511 wrote:

BTW, I missed to answer the column-less question.
There’s no such thing as a column-less structure, maybe you’re referring to using of Load-Bearing Walls instead of columns. Every Structural elements are complicated, computed and calculated accurately by Civil Engineers. There’s no way you can save through structural materials because it’s a MUST. Every grade and class of cement are calculated, every rebars(steels) sizes and quantity are computed. Hope that clarifies

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:16 pm 
Light Heavyweight

RAKUSBATOKUS wrote:
Architect, your offer to help us is quite timely as I'm planning to expand my home by some
20 sqms more or less, and heeding the advice of my friends that it's much cheaper to use
a 20footer container van, my concern is....what is the best way to insulate the van/s from
getting struck by lightning?

thanks for your advice...

vans? lightnings?
sorry bro, lightnings is not my scope.
But you could find suppliers of anti-lightning equipments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:25 pm 
Heavyweight

Hi! Architech:
How many storeys can one put up out of a lot that measures 3m wide by 25 m. long? Thnaks a lot bro. I mean the frontage is actually 3m.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1235 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 83  Next