Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:00 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:57 am 
Strawweight

Pacquiao: I underestimated Solis

By Michael Lim Ubac
Inquirer
Last updated 05:02am (Mla time) 04/18/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- Manny Pacquiao on Tuesday admitted he had underestimated the guile of the erstwhile unbeaten Jorge Solis of Mexico.

Pacquiao, who paid a courtesy call on President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo along with wife Jinkee in Malacañang, said he initially found it hard to hit Solis with his potent combinations.

“Magaling umilag at saka matangkad (He’s tall and good at evading punches),” Pacquiao told Malacañang reporters.

“Pag lumayo na ang katawan niya, mahirap nang abutin yung mukha niya dahil matangkad (Whenever he disengaged, it was hard to hit him in the face because he’s tall),” added the World Boxing Council International super featherweight champion.

When he met with the President Tuesday, Pacquiao sported four stitches over his left eye.

He said he started going at Solis’ body -- “ang pinakamahinang parte ng katawan ni Solis (the weakest part of Solis’ body)” -- when blood started to flow from the head-butt-induced gash late in the sixth round.

“When I saw blood ... I got a bit angry,” recalled the Pacman, who finally knocked out Solis with still 1:44 to go in the eighth round of their fight at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas.

“Medyo nagdilim ang paningin ko kaya sinasagasaan ko na. Inupakan ko na ng inupakan (I was blinded by rage and went for the kill),” he said.
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:01 am 
Heavyweight

of course he did...that tomato can shoulda laid down after the first jab...but i guess that crowd got the challenger motivated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:28 am 
Lightweight

In fairness to Solis, he has the skills. It's just that Pacquiao's in a different league than he is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:50 am 
Welterweight

Haha went for the kill. I like that. I knew solis was dead the second I saw the blood gush out of pacquiao's eye. Is it me or is pacquiao's english getting much better after every fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:53 am 
Middleweight

stop this Solis talks now.. its getting boring.. seriously.. fight is over.. :P :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:15 am 
Light Heavyweight

7391N wrote:
In fairness to Solis, he has the skills. It's just that Pacquiao's in a different league than he is.

I believe Solis hit harder than the rest of Mexicans Pacquiao fought. I thought Manny was stung when Solis landed his punches. I stand by what I said that Solis punched stronger except he was a big time quitter. Solis quit after he tasted what championship boxing is all about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:25 am 
Light Heavyweight

Solis rocked Pac good at least a couple of times that forced him to the ropes, Solis is indeed a very good tune-up fight for Pac. Now lets bring on JMM or anybody with a flywt. belt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:28 am 
Cruiserweight

TheBob wrote:
Haha went for the kill. I like that. I knew solis was dead the second I saw the blood gush out of pacquiao's eye. Is it me or is pacquiao's english getting much better after every fight.

' wished Viloria went for the kill in round 1 when he staggered Sosa. Too bad, after the succeeding rounds I want Viloria to be KOd by Sosa. I think he needs another slap in the face :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:22 am 
Welterweight

Rematch..
Solis vs Batawang.. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:53 am 
Cruiserweight

dug from the graveyard....
i thought its new....
i thought its pacquiao vs. lolit solis.......

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:24 am 
Light Heavyweight

M-Paq wrote:

By Michael Lim Ubac
Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines -- Manny Pacquiao on Tuesday admitted he had underestimated the guile of the erstwhile unbeaten Jorge Solis of Mexico.

Pacquiao, who paid a courtesy call on President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo along with wife Jinkee in Malacañang, said he initially found it hard to hit Solis with his potent combinations.

“Magaling umilag at saka matangkad (He’s tall and good at evading punches),” Pacquiao told Malacañang reporters.

“Pag lumayo na ang katawan niya, mahirap nang abutin yung mukha niya dahil matangkad (Whenever he disengaged, it was hard to hit him in the face because he’s tall),” added the World Boxing Council International super featherweight champion.

When he met with the President Tuesday, Pacquiao sported four stitches over his left eye.

He said he started going at Solis’ body -- “ang pinakamahinang parte ng katawan ni Solis (the weakest part of Solis’ body)” -- when blood started to flow from the head-butt-induced gash late in the sixth round.

“When I saw blood ... I got a bit angry,” recalled the Pacman, who finally knocked out Solis with still 1:44 to go in the eighth round of their fight at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas.

“Medyo nagdilim ang paningin ko kaya sinasagasaan ko na. Inupakan ko na ng inupakan (I was blinded by rage and went for the kill),” he said.

this is the only thing dela hoya needs to practice so he won't get knocked out. the only chance for manny to win is to wear him down by body punches and go for late KO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:48 pm 
Heavyweight

M-Paq wrote:

By Michael Lim Ubac
Inquirer

Pacquiao had some difficulties with Solis, how about Mayweather?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:57 pm 
Cruiserweight

M-Paq wrote:

By Michael Lim Ubac
Inquirer

Speaking of Mayweather, Manny said this:

“Magaling pa din. Mabilis pa din (He’s still good. He’s still fast),” said Pacquiao from his hotel room in Baguio City where he watched the 12-round fight between Mayweather and Marquez.

Asked if he can do better than Marquez or the 39 others who failed against the unbeaten ex-pound-for-pound champion, Pacquiao paused longer than usual The STAR thought he already hung up.

“Kaya abutin,” Pacquiao answered back in Filipino. He could have meant Mayweather was reachable or can be hit if and when a fight between the great superstars takes place sometime next year.

>>>>>>> MARQUEZ LACKS REACH: Mayweather impresses Pacman <<<<<<<

I don't know but maybe Pacquiao was reminded then of his Solis fight, hence the long pause.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:06 pm 
Heavyweight

LightSpeed wrote:
I don't know but maybe Pacquiao was reminded then of his Solis fight, hence the long pause.

That's possible. Didn't cross my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:16 pm 
Cruiserweight

hukay hukay?

trans: from the graveyard