Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:09 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:28 am 
Heavyweight

dd44 wrote:
a5sk1ck wrote:
I didn't expect this to go the way of a sports activity. I'm having second thoughts...

This must be self sustaining. We can only help to a certain degree. This project once started must generate its own funds. If it is going to be a sports activity then it should be a sports activity that people will pay to watch. This should be teaching how to fish, not to give fish away.

Have "faith" :) We are just in the brainstorming phase. Not very good ideas will be shoot down as soon as it is uttered.

DD the Deist :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:32 am 
Heavyweight

Epifanio M. Almeda wrote:
dd44 wrote:
This must be self sustaining. We can only help to a certain degree. This project once started must generate its own funds. If it is going to be a sports activity then it should be a sports activity that people will pay to watch. This should be teaching how to fish, not to give fish away.

Have "faith" :) We are just in the brainstorming phase. Not very good ideas will be shoot down as soon as it is uttered.

Physical fitness is in and a boxing gym is one kind where fitness buffs go. My son, Tam who is a boxing manager, has a trainer. Or we can contact some other trainers to man the gym. The trainers will train the customers for a portion of the fee the customers are going to pay the gym. This is one revenue area.

Another is having a professional fighter or fighters being managed by our company. The company, as manager, will earn half the earnings of the fighter. But we have to shoulder the licensing, medical & training expenses of the fighter. BTW, I'll be interviewing an applicant boxer on Monday who applied thru a thread at PRMO. :)

I hope jcarlosfc who started the thread "BOXING GYM - Startup" is serious in his putting up a boxing gym. He has not posted again in the thread. If he is, then putting up a gym will no longer be a problem.

BTW, I attended a seminar for lawyers today and one topic cited which caught my special attention was about kidnapping of children and street kids. The object is not for ransom but for the organs that could be harvested from these kids. I think there is urgency and a kid we can pick up from the streets is one kid kept from harm.

Realistically, I do not have a very positive "vibration" regarding putting money to support sports in the youth. I think it's just my own idiosyncrasy to go for the 'measurable'. A philantrophist is better equipped to sponsor such a venture. Our meager contributions might not be able to support such a venture. The way this is going it would require huge capitalization which we don't have.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:45 am 
Heavyweight

The Butcher wrote:
a5sk1ck wrote:
I didn't expect this to go the way of a sports activity. I'm having second thoughts...

Not to worry a5sk1ck. The sports activity is only one of several ideas. In fact, the floor is open at all times for more ideas.

Taking kids off the street and teaching them to be self-sufficient is the goal. Whether it be in sports, or other professional skills, it wouldn't matter. But being in a sports-related site, that would be one of the ideas, plus it's realistic. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, it would be ideal to mix up our lessons to include basic skills like speech, reading, writing, and math among others.

I don't know. I'm just not to sold on the idea of putting up a sports foundation or whatchamacallit. Too unmeasurable with no true indicator for success. Pacquiao didn't get this kind of help but where is he now? Same with the other poor southern boxers. To excel in sports is something that has to come from within. Pulling kids from the streets and encouraging them to dive into a sports program is tricky. You have to spend for their shelter, food, sporting materiels, coaches / trainors, lots of stuff...

I think sponsoring a street kid to go to school is more doable and at least you can see the return in the form of a diploma which the kid can use to present him/herself in the labor market. Charity work can also be in the form of teaching skills to those who have no money to get that kind of education or testing. Like helping poor kids who have aptitude for computers to get education and to become internationally certified.

Just my thoughts...

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:11 pm 
Heavyweight

a5sk1ck wrote:
I don't know. I'm just not to sold on the idea of putting up a sports foundation or whatchamacallit. Too unmeasurable with no true indicator for success. Pacquiao didn't get this kind of help but where is he now? Same with the other poor southern boxers. To excel in sports is something that has to come from within. Pulling kids from the streets and encouraging them to dive into a sports program is tricky. You have to spend for their shelter, food, sporting materiels, coaches / trainors, lots of stuff...

I think sponsoring a street kid to go to school is more doable and at least you can see the return in the form of a diploma which the kid can use to present him/herself in the labor market. Charity work can also be in the form of teaching skills to those who have no money to get that kind of education or testing. Like helping poor kids who have aptitude for computers to get education and to become internationally certified.

Just my thoughts...

Not every kid has the direction, timing and luck as Pacquiao had (in his earlier years). If there's one thing a street kid probably lacks, it's direction. We would be there to provide it, and to support them into getting to that goal.

I agree with you. Sports cannot be the ultimate answer to everything. To be honest, ideally, it would be providing proper education that would lead to a better life. Not every kid can become an athlete.

But we cannot rule out sports entirely. It's just at the forefront of our discussion now because we're in a sports site. So in essence, a sports program would be just ONE of the programs. I'm all for providing other necessary skills as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:58 pm 
Heavyweight

We need something that we can make profit in order to support this cause. We cannot just rely on contributions otherwise hindi continuous ang operation ng group. Parang pasulpot sulpot lang kapag may nagdonate.
Imo, putting up a gym will be the second step after we register the group. We can make it like a multipurpose gym and later put up computers to aid the kids in their education. If given the budget, we can even support their education. Ang importante lang maumpisahan.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:10 pm 
Heavyweight

a5sk1ck wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
a5sk1ck wrote:

Not to worry a5sk1ck. The sports activity is only one of several ideas. In fact, the floor is open at all times for more ideas.

Taking kids off the street and teaching them to be self-sufficient is the goal. Whether it be in sports, or other professional skills, it wouldn't matter. But being in a sports-related site, that would be one of the ideas, plus it's realistic. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, it would be ideal to mix up our lessons to include basic skills like speech, reading, writing, and math among others.

I think sponsoring a street kid to go to school is more doable
and at least you can see the return in the form of a diploma which the kid can use to present him/herself in the labor market. Charity work can also be in the form of teaching skills to those who have no money to get that kind of education or testing. Like helping poor kids who have aptitude for computers to get education and to become internationally certified.

Just my thoughts...

agree to that...hopefully this is the begining of unity and reconciliation towards other religions and non believers...

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:28 pm 
Flyweight

i want to help but I need help too. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:28 pm 
Heavyweight

just want to share this little "dream" of mine if ever I win the lotto:
take orphans in and provide them with everything they need...food, shelter and education. Looks simple! Hmmm, take in 100 kids and get on board people with "calling" for this kind of thing. I'm sure many would volunteer their time to be a math, english or whatever teacher. And to keep them busy when they've got no "classes"...train them in taekwondo, karate or boxing....then maybe teach them about fixing cars or racing cars, cooking, fixing radios, computers, welding, plumbing, how to be a politician (maybe not that one) sawing, painting, French, Mandarin etc etc etc....then maybe throw in a bit of civic education, maybe love for country, a bit of values education....things that will provide a foundation for lifelong learning and make them contributing members of the society. In other words, equip them to face the world. But then I realised, how do I go about this? Winning the lotto is a dream in itself....

well I can start in a smaller scale, just like what you guys are doing now. If ever this foundation gets off the ground, expect me to pitch in....kahit barya lang :) .

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:31 pm 
Cruiserweight

Location: hey kat im right behind that door - hayden camera (^^,)
this sounds great... keep it up!! gud luck guys! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:59 pm 
Heavyweight

Macario wrote:
well I can start in a smaller scale, just like what you guys are doing now. If ever this foundation gets off the ground, expect me to pitch in....kahit barya lang :) .

Your pledge is counted. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:11 pm 
Heavyweight

The Butcher wrote:
The Butcher, do you think we can raise P1M in cash for a foundation initial capitalization?

I don't see why not. It might take awhile, but sure it's possible. We'll have to break down the budgeting of the P1M though and make sure it's sustainable. Of course, we can always garner more donations. It'll be an ongoing process. That's what foundations do usually.

Any long trip starts but with the 1st step. I like The Butcher's positive outlook on the P1M. Hey guys, let's get infected!. :)

Pledges:
1. dd44 - US$50 (already remitted. Net amount actually credited is less by US$2.25 paypal fee)
2. IceColdBeer - P2,200 (sent via western union to be claimed on Monday.)
3. BillyShears - P1,000
4. a5sk1ck - CAD$50
5. el Kapre - P1,000
6. nandi - P1,000

For those who will make pledges, please continue with this enumeration. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:22 pm 
Heavyweight

The Butcher wrote:
The Pacland owner is aware of this idea. He even transferred this thread to Community Projects from PRMO.

One way to support the street kids we house is for some of them to come to the tennis court where I am a member and they can serve as ball boys/girls. They can earn some for pocket money and later on learn tennis on the side to be free from tuition. Those who are inclined to boxing can continue boxing and to billiards, with billiards.

What if our boxing gym discovers a Manny Pacquiao? If we produce a champion, that would be the crowning glory of these talks we are not doing. Don't you think? :)

Excellent ideas Atty. Almeda. We can have some sort of mini-placement program so they can learn how it feels to be important and actually earn something for a living. Aside form being ball boys, we can also try them out as caddies and such.

As for the last part of your post, yes, having one of our kids succeed in any form of arena, whether it be sporting, commercial, educational and so forth, would be our ultimate goal and victory. Maybe one of our kids can become an Olympian? A world-class athlete? A teacher? A coach? An entepreneur?

Caddies earn bigger than ball boys. And greater opportunity too. Didn't Frankie Miñoza start as a caddie? Or a son of a caddie?

Just taking a street kid now off the street and the way of crime and put him to a way where he would be in a position to help another street kid later is already an accomplishment for us.

So, the possible earning venues for the "rescued" street kids while we teach them about life are as:
1. ball boys/girls in tennis courts;
2. caddies in golf clubs;
3. (please continue with the list)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:28 pm 
Heavyweight

neg16200 wrote:
i want to help but I need help too. :(

Your help will now be expected once you are already in the position to help. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:06 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Sir, whats the need of putting up a new foundation? There's a lot of foundations focusing on street children. We can just use this site to ask for donations and give it to a foundation that we choose...

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:15 pm 
Heavyweight

Thanks for your input. But how small should a boxing gym be to start a test?

I'd go for a triage approach. Extend help to those who
are in immediate need.

Setting up a foundation, a cooperative, a boxing gym
--well and good. However, this takes too much time,
legal wrangling, fixed monthly expenses to run, and so
on. Remember, most of those interested are overseas.
They may also back out at any moment.

Fact is, this entity should be self-sustaining from the
get-go to keep it afloat, and this is another hurdle to
pass. The project may turn out to be a white elephant.

Start small. Help those who are in dire need.

- Feed the hungry.

- Pay for the medical expenses of someone who's sick
or needs a surgical operation.

- Support an existing but floundering charitable
organization.

- A lot of immediate and life-changing opportunities
to help...

What we don't want is to start a project too lofty,
and bicker amongst ourselves (been known to happen)
till we end up not doing anything--dead in the water.

Start small since the funds are not that much. Start
helping ONE individual. Monitor and control the
implementation, ESPECIALLY, when it comes to the
disbursement of funds. No disrespect to anybody,
just being real.

(There are many well-meaning people willing to help.
There is also corruption everywhere.

Again, no disrespect. I just want for everybody to
keep that in mind.)

The benefits of starting small, as everybody is already
well aware of, is that we can tweak where we have
gone wrong, and make the necessary adjustments.

hindi ekok

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next