Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:29 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:53 am 
Cruiserweight

a5sk1ck wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
a5sk1ck wrote:
I didn't expect this to go the way of a sports activity. I'm having second thoughts...

Not to worry a5sk1ck. The sports activity is only one of several ideas. In fact, the floor is open at all times for more ideas.

Taking kids off the street and teaching them to be self-sufficient is the goal. Whether it be in sports, or other professional skills, it wouldn't matter. But being in a sports-related site, that would be one of the ideas, plus it's realistic. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, it would be ideal to mix up our lessons to include basic skills like speech, reading, writing, and math among others.

I don't know. I'm just not to sold on the idea of putting up a sports foundation or whatchamacallit. Too unmeasurable with no true indicator for success. Pacquiao didn't get this kind of help but where is he now? Same with the other poor southern boxers. To excel in sports is something that has to come from within. Pulling kids from the streets and encouraging them to dive into a sports program is tricky. You have to spend for their shelter, food, sporting materiels, coaches / trainors, lots of stuff...

I think sponsoring a street kid to go to school is more doable and at least you can see the return in the form of a diploma which the kid can use to present him/herself in the labor market. Charity work can also be in the form of teaching skills to those who have no money to get that kind of education or testing. Like helping poor kids who have aptitude for computers to get education and to become internationally certified.

Just my thoughts...

I dont think you are getting the idea of helping street children. You dont need to make a STABLE of champions like putting in all the money into training ALL street children. Pacquiao did not strike it LUCKY. He worked hard to get where he is, same with that individual who will involve themselves with competitive boxing, they have to prove themselves. like Pacquiao, whoever will present themselves for competitive sponsorship has to PROVE why they are WORTHY. I dont know about you, I have never liked giving away money. I dont think you also understand how sending someone to an academic school is WAY more expensive than training someone in competitive sports. This is an excellent critique.

I think international certification is harder than attaining an achievable boxing record. International certification involves standards of other countries which could not be overcome not without a WHOLESALE attempt to challenge existing procedures. That is why foreign trained professionals depend on luck to land the career of their dreams overseas. Aptitude in computers is just aptitude, it has to be nurtured, and going to the right SCHOOL is only a fraction of the problem (note: school is EXPENSIVE). The way I would picture it is that street children can come in to the gym at least 1 or twice a week to watch regular members train( professional boxers and coaches will use the gym for a fee, generating income for the gym). The children can see a showing of how being in sports as a healthy outlet and expanding their social network is good. They will then decide on their own by making friends and become their moral support, it is then as always UP TO THEM to follow up on what we show them.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:55 pm 
Heavyweight

Morpheus24 wrote:
a5sk1ck wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

Not to worry a5sk1ck. The sports activity is only one of several ideas. In fact, the floor is open at all times for more ideas.

Taking kids off the street and teaching them to be self-sufficient is the goal. Whether it be in sports, or other professional skills, it wouldn't matter. But being in a sports-related site, that would be one of the ideas, plus it's realistic. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, it would be ideal to mix up our lessons to include basic skills like speech, reading, writing, and math among others.

I don't know. I'm just not to sold on the idea of putting up a sports foundation or whatchamacallit. Too unmeasurable with no true indicator for success. Pacquiao didn't get this kind of help but where is he now? Same with the other poor southern boxers. To excel in sports is something that has to come from within. Pulling kids from the streets and encouraging them to dive into a sports program is tricky. You have to spend for their shelter, food, sporting materiels, coaches / trainors, lots of stuff...

I think sponsoring a street kid to go to school is more doable and at least you can see the return in the form of a diploma which the kid can use to present him/herself in the labor market. Charity work can also be in the form of teaching skills to those who have no money to get that kind of education or testing. Like helping poor kids who have aptitude for computers to get education and to become internationally certified.

Just my thoughts...

I dont think you are getting the idea of helping street children. You dont need to make a STABLE of champions like putting in all the money into training ALL street children. Pacquiao did not strike it LUCKY. He worked hard to get where he is, same with that individual who will involve themselves with competitive boxing, they have to prove themselves. like Pacquiao, whoever will present themselves for competitive sponsorship has to PROVE why they are WORTHY. I dont know about you, I have never liked giving away money. I dont think you also understand how sending someone to an academic school is WAY more expensive than training someone in competitive sports. This is an excellent critique.

I think international certification is harder than attaining an achievable boxing record. International certification involves standards of other countries which could not be overcome not without a WHOLESALE attempt to challenge existing procedures. That is why foreign trained professionals depend on luck to land the career of their dreams overseas. Aptitude in computers is just aptitude, it has to be nurtured, and going to the right SCHOOL is only a fraction of the problem (note: school is EXPENSIVE). The way I would picture it is that street children can come in to the gym at least 1 or twice a week to watch regular members train( professional boxers and coaches will use the gym for a fee, generating income for the gym). The children can see a showing of how being in sports as a healthy outlet and expanding their social network is good. They will then decide on their own by making friends and become their moral support, it is then as always UP TO THEM to follow up on what we show them.

ok iyong iyo na yan. count me out.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:56 pm 
Heavyweight

a5sk1ck wrote:
Morpheus24 wrote:
a5sk1ck wrote:

Just my thoughts...

Common, buddy!!! Hindi naman instant Paquiao,Bata Reyes, Paeng Nepomoceno ang target. We all know that we're just guessing sa future. The primary goal is to pick kids from "wrong direction",then it's up to them to decide after giving them the chance to choose. Sports ba o politika? Kahit nga siguro anung relihiyon eh pwede nilang alamin o tahakin, ang importante may nagtiwala at nagmahal sa kanila. You're still IN buddy!!!! :)

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:05 pm 
Heavyweight

rolando natagacavite wrote:
a5sk1ck wrote:

Common, buddy!!! Hindi naman instant Paquiao,Bata Reyes, Paeng Nepomoceno ang target. We all know that we're just guessing sa future. The primary goal is to pick kids from "wrong direction",then it's up to them to decide after giving them the chance to choose. Sports ba o politika? Kahit nga siguro anung relihiyon eh pwede nilang alamin o tahakin, ang importante may nagtiwala at nagmahal sa kanila. You're still IN buddy!!!! :)

Agreed! It would be great if you can still remain with us a5sk1ck. The thing is with our group and with it being so open is that we'll have a lot of ideas with different directions. But seeing as our goal is to ultimately get the kids off the street and make them self-sufficient, it shouldn't matter how we get them there because as it should be, we'll have several means. Everyday and mental skills (reading, writing, math, etc.), and physical skills (sports, possibly carpentry work or construction in nature, music perhaps, etc.).

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:06 pm 
Heavyweight

Truth be told, I'm getting quite excited that our foundation is looking more real by the day. :o

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:22 pm 
Heavyweight

The Butcher wrote:
Truth be told, I'm getting quite excited that our foundation is looking more real by the day. :o

It is indeed "looking more real by the day". 5 is the minimum number of incorporators and directors/trustees. But it's not a problem to have more:

1. EMA - Imus, Cavite;
2. ICB - Hongkong and Las Pinas
3. Butcher - Paranaque
4. Rolando NatagaCavite- Imus,Cavite.
5. Morpheus24- Alberta, Canada.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:42 pm 
Heavyweight

Epifanio M. Almeda wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

It is indeed "looking more real by the day". 5 is the minimum number of incorporators and directors/trustees. But it's not a problem to have more:

1. EMA - Imus, Cavite;
3. Butcher - Paranaque

There is nothing concrete yet but the unifying factor among us/bottomline is that we want to help in whatever way we can.

If we want change, we should bear in mind that change does not take place overnight .... and it won't happen unless started.

Guys, count me in.

6. nandi - Kiangan, Ifugao

:) 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:09 pm 
Heavyweight

nandi wrote:
Guys, count me in.

Of course, nandi. You are one of those who have pledged financially as well. :)

1. EMA - Imus, Cavite;
3. Butcher - Paranaque

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:08 pm 
Heavyweight

I'd like to share this article "Life in a jar" By Wilson Lee Flores which is in the May 19, 2008 issue of the Philippine Star about the "then 29-year-old Catholic social worker Irena Sendler who volunteered to join the Zegota underground resistance group (in WWII), which intended to save the Jews.

http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Busin ... 2008051846

Below are the quotable quotes in the report:

1. “I was taught that if a man is drowning, it is irrelevant what his religion or nationality is, one must help him. It is a need of the heart.”

2. In a letter of gratitude to the Polish parliament for honoring her as a national hero last year, Sendler wrote: “Every child saved with my help is the justification of my existence on this Earth, and not a title to glory.”

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:05 pm 
Heavyweight

Nice sir epi! :D

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:48 am 
Heavyweight

IceColdBeer wrote:
Nice sir epi! :D

I haven't gone to Western Union ,sir ICB, to claim your remittance. I can sense no more urgency in this brainstorming. :(

For those of us who will still be "in" in this project, I'm introducing the idea where we will form a boxing management group to sponsor promising boxers. We can organize into a stock corporation. When the boxers' fights start to earn, a portion of the income will be used to support street kids plucked off the street.

I've talked with the 18-year old who posted at PRMO and I can sense his interest will carry him to success. He needs help to realize his dream. In a way, We will be helping him. When I opened the idea of helping street kids, he said he would be contributing later on to this noble purpose.

What do you say guys?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:54 am 
Heavyweight

nandi wrote:
Guys, count me in.

There's another applicant who is from the Ifugao area. A friend who introduced to me the applicant's father whom I talked thru phone says the 60-year old father is very strong and fit that when he flexes his muscles, you can't pinch his skin with a pair of pliers. When I talked to the father when he called me, he said his son is even stronger and that he wants to box. The applicant is 21 and if he is willing to sacrifice in the gym, we only need to add speed to his power (if he really has it as his father claims).

I hope nandi agrees to talk to him and size him up before he travels far to see me. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:05 am 
Heavyweight

Two words which are a must to those who will run this organization: Accountability and Transparency. Let's face it, most of us are anonymous to each other- I for one wishes to remain anonymous- and suspicions and doubts will always be there. How do we address this issue?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:21 am 
Heavyweight

Macario wrote:
Two words which are a must to those who will run this organization: Accountability and Transparency. Let's face it, most of us are anonymous to each other- I for one wishes to remain anonymous- and suspicions and doubts will always be there. How do we address this issue?

EB is when "anonymous" paclanders excitedly find out who they have been "acquainted" to before the EB. Others reveal to each other thru PMs.

Those who will finally agree to an undertaking will personally meet to put to action the ideas agreed upon in this thread. Those who agree and who cannot physically attend the meeting being abroad will be so informed accordingly.

As to transparency and accountability, the pledges and actual remittances already made by dd44 and ICBeer are not hidden from the rest of the posters. dd44's remittance is still in my paypal account and ICB's is still with western union. I can't wait to hand the money over to the selected treasurer-in-trust including my contribution.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:58 am 
Lightweight

count me in. i think i may conrtribute something. when is the EB?thanks...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next