Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:47 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:37 pm 
Heavyweight

Maybe the upcoming A.Berto-V.Ortiz fight this 16April2011 will be @ "CatchWeight" of 143 or 144 ??

Breaking news: Berto-Ortiz on April 16?

Posted Jan. 13, 2011 at 04:35pm
By Michael Rosenthal
Link: http://www.ringtv.com/blog/2677/breakin ... _april_16/

Welterweight titleholder Andre Berto and Victor Ortiz are negotiating to fight on April 16 in the U.S., the same night Amir Khan is scheduled to fight in the UK, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer said.

Lou DiBella, Berto’s promoter, had mentioned the winner of the Mike Jones-Jesus Soto Karass fight or Luis Colazzo as possible opponents but neither represented the high-profile matchup Berto is seeking.

Ortiz isn’t Shane Mosley or Manny Pacquiao, two fighters Berto wanted to meet, but the Los Angeles-area fighter is an intriguing opponent for the 147-pounder from Miami.

An obvious issue is Weight: Ortiz has been fighting as a junior welterweight (140 pounds).

BOTH Schaefer and Rolando Arellano, Ortiz’s advisor, said They Would WANT A CATCH WEIGHT. Schaefer Mentioned 143 or 144.

Schaefer also has no concerns about Ortiz moving Up in Weight, pointing to his fight against Lamont Peterson on Dec. 11 to make his point.

“When they put Victor on the HBO scale the night of the fight, he weighed 156 pounds,” he said. “I think he’s also taller than Berto. And look at Berto’s last three, four fights. He usually came in at around 145.

“I don’t think size is going to be a problem here.”

Oritz (28-2-2, 22 knockouts) and Peterson fought to a draw. Berto (27-0, 21 KOs) is coming off a first-round knockout of Freddy Hernandez on Nov. 27, the fifth successful defense of his title.

Matthew 28:20"I am with you always, even unto the end of the world."
Acts 20:35 "It is more blessed to give than to recieve."
Philippians 4:13"I can do all things through CHRIST which strengtheneth me."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:09 pm 
Heavyweight

Latest UpDate's of CatchWeight fightS in boxing as of 04Feb.2011

Bryan Vera vs Sergio Mora fight @ 163lbs CatchWeight

Bryan Vera Upsets Sergio Mora, Wins Ten Round Decision

Posted by: Jake Donovan on 2/4/2011 .
Link: http://www.boxingscene.com/bryan-vera-u ... ion--35594

Super Bowl weekend began with a notable upset on Friday night at the Fort Worth (TX) Convention Center, as Bryan Vera outfought Sergio Mora every step of the way en route to a well-earned split decision win in a 10-round matchup of former Contender participants.

Both fighters Weighed In at the CONTRACTED Limit of 163 lb. for the main event, which aired live on ESPN2’s Friday Night Fights series.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:06 am 
Heavyweight

Latest UpDate's of "CatchWeight" fight for the upcoming Berto-Ortiz @ 146lbs ?? as of 05Feb.2011

Updated: February 5, 2011, 9:15 PM ET
To read more, Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing ... id=6094213
Image By Dan Rafael

HBO will televise Khan-McCloskey on same-day tape in the United States while Sky Box Office will carry it live on pay-per-view in Britain. HBO plans to pair the fight with live coverage of Andre Berto's welterweight defense (likely at a Catch Weight of 146 pounds) against Victor Ortiz, who would move up from junior welterweight, from a site to be determined in the U.S. Berto-Ortiz is close to being finalized.

"Amir is back. The 'King' is back. It's his homecoming, his first fight at home in over 12 months," said Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, Khan's promoter. "He is excited to take on an undefeated fighter in Paul McCloskey. He is looking forward to the showdown. I am still working with [Berto promoter] Lou DiBella to finalize the live fight from the U.S., Berto-Ortiz. It will be a great night of boxing."

Berto-Ortiz can happen because @loudibella made deal with Selcuk Aydin (mandatory) to step aside. Aydin would fight on Berto-Ortiz undercard
about 1 hour ago via web
Link: http://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status ... 2991699968
.danrafaelespn
Dan Rafael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:45 am 
Heavyweight

Latest UpDate's of CatchWeight fight between Berto-Ortiz as of 14Feb.2011

Breaking news: Berto, Ortiz reach agreement

by Michael Rosenthal
Feb 14th, 2011|
Link: http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/1263 ... -agreement

Andre Berto and Victor Ortiz have agreed to fight on April 16 in the U.S. as part of a television doubleheader with the Amir Khan-Paul McCloskey, which will take place in the UK, according to Ortiz’s manager, Rolando Arellano.

Arellano said Monday morning that he is just waiting to receive a contract from DiBella Entertainment, Berto’s promoter.

A site for Berto-Ortiz has not been determined, although Arellano said he expects it to take place in either Las Vegas or New York.

Berto, the WBC welterweight titleholder, and Ortiz have Agreed to a Catch Weight of 145 pounds plus one, or in effect 146. That’s one pound below the welterweight limit.

Ortiz (28-2-2, 22 knockouts) has been fighting as a 140-pounder and has never fought heavier than 144. Berto (27-0, 21 KOs) has fought at slightly less than 147 in most of his fights.

“I’m so ready for Berto,” said Ortiz, who already has opened his training camp in Ventura, Calif. “Actually, I don’t want to sound cocky, but Berto’s whole career just came to an end. From what I hear, he’s underestimating me because I’m a junior welterweight. I don’t know if he recalls being next to me, but I’m a lot bigger than he is.

“All I know is that I’m going to take the belt. In my eyes, Berto is overrated. He hasn’t been tested against a fighter such as myself.”

Ortiz said he has no concerns about moving up a weight class.

“No concerns whatsoever in speed, power or anything else,” he said.

Ortiz said he made the decision to move up to take advantage of an opportunity to fight for a title, which had eluded him at junior welterweight even though he’s ranked No. 1 by the WBO (Timothy Bradley’s belt) and in the Top 10 in the remaining three major sanctioning bodies.

Berto is THE RING’s No. 3-rated welterweight. Ortiz is the No. 9 junior welterweight.

“No one wanted to give me a shot,” he said. “I remember when I lost (to Marcos Maidana), everyone wanted to fight Victor Ortiz. Now that I won a few fights, they’re saying ‘Victor who?’ I don’t appreciate that.

“I got my big fight, though. And I’m very ready.”

Ortiz is 4-0-1 since he was stopped by Maidana, including a draw with Lamont Peterson on Dec. 11. Berto stopped Freddy Hernandez in one round in his last fight, on Nov. 27.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:26 am 
Heavyweight

Latest UpDate's of CatchWeight fight as of 02March2011

Alphabet Abuse latest DownSide to Alvarez’ HBO Showcase

Posted by: Jake Donovan on 3/2/2011 .
Link: http://www.boxingscene.com/alphabet-abu ... ase--36526

So how much more do we need to overlook in attempting to embrace Saul Alvarez’ HBO Boxing After Dark debut this weekend?

Arguably the most popular Mexican fighter in the sport today, the 20-year old manchild is slated for his first live HBO headliner this weekend, when he faces Matthew Hatton on Saturday evening in Anaheim, California.

Yet after all that has brushed aside in order to focus solely on what takes place in the ring, the latest stunt pulled by the event’s handlers has left a sour taste in the collective mouths of many in the boxing industry.

A strong push by Golden Boy Promotions to make this a title fight came to fruition last week, with the announcement coming during an international conference call no less. Despite the fight being contracted at a CatchWeight of 150 lb., Golden Boy managed to get the WBC to agree to put their vacant junior middleweight title At Stake.

The latest news surrounding the fight is that it will now take place at the division’s full limit of 154 lb. Apparently the WBC couldn’t bear the criticism of staging consecutive vacant title fights at a catchweight limit, as was the case when Manny Pacquiao won the crown after dominating Antonio Margarito over 12 rounds last November, before vacating earlier this year.

Such a stance by the sanctioning body is a double-edged sword. It’s the right call on their part, as title fights should take place at the full divisional limit. Fighters should have the option to weigh at or below that mark rather than being forced to come in at a made-up weight.

However, to change the weight this late in the promotion only underlines the JOKE surrounding the Belt being At Stake in the first place, not to mention that the suggestion that the deck is now completely stacked against the visiting Hatton, who was already at a disadvantage in competing above the welterweight limit.

The sad part of it all is that none of the bells and whistles were necessary to sell this weekend’s fight as anything other than an Alvarez showcase.

From the moment the date was first reserved late last year, there has been a tremendous amount of anticipation surrounding his Boxing After Dark debut.

It had nothing to do with the opponent he’s facing, how he looked in his previous fight, or even what awaits his career with a win this weekend. It was just because Alvarez has grown into that much of attraction as he enters the prime years of his career.

So with that in mind, it was forgiven that last December’s 12-round decision win over Lovemore N’Dou wasn’t exactly a barnburner. After all, it takes two to tango and most will agree that N’Dou did little more than show up for a paycheck.

Perhaps he’ll look good the next time, we thought. Not to mention that even with more than 30 fights as a pro, he’s still only 20 years old and growing in and out of the ring.

The hope for this weekend being a fun action fight for however long it lasts was enough to atone for the fact that in the opposite corner will stand Matthew Hatton, Ricky’s younger and less accomplished brother.

It’s not a step up for Alvarez in terms of career progression, but instead more of the same. Hatton fought N’Dou to a draw a little over a year ago, though put together a nice run in 2010, including a quality win over former alphabet titlist Yuriy Nuzhnenko.

The year he led was enough to convince his critics that he’s not just along for the ride, though not quite enough to sell him as a legitimate contender.

It was enough, however, to land him the plum assignment of occupying the B-side of a fight that HBO and Golden Boy hope will mark Alvarez’ grand entrance as their next centerpiece.

The fight was finalized after plans fell through for Alvarez to challenge for his first major title. An offer was extended to undefeated welterweight titlist Viacheslav Senchenko, but the money wasn’t nearly enough to entice the Ukrainian to leave his home country.

No big deal; it can be argued that Alvarez first needed to enter the contender status of his career before being paraded around as a champion, even IF the Belt was of the PAPER Variety.

Perhaps after Hatton, his handlers could begin eyeing legitimate Top 10 opposition either at 147 or 154. At which weight he would vie for his first title was always an open ended question.

The plan last year was to attempt to win a strap at 147, then perhaps immediately vacate and eye alphabet hardware at 154. A natural course of progression, as it stood to reason that he would grow into the junior middleweight division sooner rather than later.

Hopefully by then, resolution would come of his legal issues with previous promoter All-Star Boxing. News of their lawsuit resurfaced last month, when the Florida-based outfit hired a new lawyer to take up the case, which claims that they still have Alvarez under contract.

The pending case doesn’t seem to be enough to block this weekend’s fight from happening or even souring the mood. Press conferences and media day sessions have been scheduled all week, and Alvarez very much remains the center of attention ahead of Saturday’s showdown.

It appeared as if many were also looking to look the other way when it’s suggested that Alvarez and his handlers are looking to create their own weight class.

Had the original contract terms remained in play, this weekend would have been the Mexican’s fifth straight fight at or around the manufactured 150 lb. catchweight. It’s hardly of concern when nothing at all is at stake, nor is it uncommon to fight a few pounds above your targeted weight class when taking on opponents on the level of Jose Miguel Cotto.

However, a manufactured belt has been at stake for his past three fights. All came with the tagline of a junior middleweight title fight, despite none of them taking place at the actual junior middleweight limit.

The title at stake was obscure enough to where it didn’t become a very big part of the story. Instead, proper focus was paid to the impressive manner in which he handled and finished off the likes of Lucian Cuello and Carlos Baldomir, and that despite not providing thrills and chills in his win over N’Dou, still dominating a former titlist the way he did over 12 rounds.

Such is no longer the case going into this weekend’s fight, which is a tremendous disservice to both fighters. In particular to Alvarez, whose tremendous future upside should be the storyline, and not all of the absurd bells and whistles now surrounding the event.

Jake Donovan is the Managing Editor of Boxingscene.com. Follow Jake on Twitter at twitter.com/JakeNDaBox or submit questions/comments to JakeNDaBox@gmail.com .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:53 am 
Welterweight

onizuka_sensei wrote:
die hard!!! wrote:
Emmanuel53 wrote:
With the proliferation of so many belts in addition to title governing bodies and fights being fought at catchweights, titles are losing their significance and come cheaper by the dozen. Don't forget the WBC diamond belt. Maybe next time they'll come up with the bronze belt, the sapphire belt, etc. Might as well make every fight a title fight so the body can charge sanctioning fees.

+Big possibility bro. :)
like the WBA, they have: 1.) regular champion, 2.) Interim champion, 3.) Super champion.
Now, example as for the case of Yuriorkis Gamboa- (current Unified WBA/IBF 126lbs world champion) he is now the "super champion" BUT Chris John of Indonesia was the "super champion" too even though he only holds that single (1) belt, the WBA 126lbs. :?

This is getting me dizzy! It's a sad thing that these current belts are
rapidly losing their value. I think it's okay to have these "catchweights"
back then when there were only 8 weight category, But now that they've
found a way to reach or patch things up about the wide weight differences,
by putting in "in-between" weight categories like "super" or "junior"
to compensate for the huge weight gap, "catchweights" shouldn't be allowed
in my opinion. Just fight on your own weight preference and let your opponent
weigh the full limit of a weight class that you wanna jump into.

That's what I call "Whole-Hearted Guts!" :thor:

Its called street fight! Stop watching pro sports cause it aint your game!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:09 am 
Heavyweight

Latest UpDate's of CatchWeight fight as of 04March2011

Mar
2011 Canelo light and heavy

Photo: Big Joe Miranda

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez weighed in at 151.8 pounds for his 154lb WBC world title match against Matthew Hatton on Saturday. Unfortunately for Alvarez, the bout against welterweight Hatton is being being fought at a 150lb Catch Weight (four pounds under the division limit), so he needs to drop 1.8 pounds.

Last edited by die hard!!! on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:11 am 
Heavyweight

Photos/Weights: Saul Alvarez Overweight, Hatton on Point

Anaheim, California - Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, of Mexico, and Matthew Hatton, of England, weighed-in for Saturday's showdown at the Honda Center in Anaheim. The vacant WBC junior middleweight title will be on the line. Alvarez, who failed to make the weight limit, was given two hours to lose the excess weight. Alvarez (35-0, 26KOs) came in at 151.8-pounds, and Hatton (41-4, 16KOs) came in at 149.6. The fight has a contracted Catch-Weight of 150-pounds.

The co-feature, with super featherweights in action, also made weight. Adrien Broner (19-0, 16KOs) was 129.8-pounds and Daniel Ponce De Leon (41-2, 34KOs) was 128.4-pounds.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:20 am 
Heavyweight

Saul Alvarez To Lose $70,000 For Failing To Make Weight

Posted by: Chris LaBate on 3/4/2011 .
Link: http://www.boxingscene.com/saul-alvarez ... ght--36624

Anaheim, California -Junior middleweight Saul "Canelo" Alvarez will lose $70,000 or 20% of his $350,000 purse for failing to make weight for Saturday's scheduled fight against Matthew Hatton. The fight is under a contract agreement for a catch-weight of 150-pounds, although the vacant WBC 154-pound title is up for grabs . Alvarez (35-0, 26KOs) came in at 151.8-pounds. He was given two hours to lose the weight but came back with 30-minutes remaining and failed to make weight for a second time with 151.4 coming up on the scale. According to reports, $35,000 will go to Hatton, and the other $35,000 will go to the California State Athletic Commission. Hatton (41-4, 16KOs) weighed 149.6. The fight happen at the Honda Center and HBO will televise.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:40 am 
Heavyweight

Saul "Canelo" Alvarez(20yr old) vs Carlos "Tata" Baldomir(39yr old) @ 151lbs CatchWeight last 18Sep.2010 for the WBC 154lbs Silver belt

Image By Dan Rafael
To read more, link: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing ... id=5589827
Updated: September 20, 2010, 10:44 PM ET

Alvarez dominated the much slower Baldomir, 39, until unloading on him in the sixth round.
They fought at a contract weight of 151 pounds, although Baldomir missed weight on Friday, coming in at 153.4. Now, Alvarez (34-0-1, 26 KOs) wants to return to the 147-pound welterweight division, where he is more comfortable.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:09 am 
Heavyweight

Latest CATCHWEIGHT Fight as of 31 May, 2013

Floyd Mayweather jr vs Saul Alvarez @ 152lbs weight limit on September 14, 2013 for the WBC, WBA (regular), WBA (super) & RING 154 lbs title belts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:02 am 
Heavyweight

Why would COWARD BOY FLOYD sell out his FANBASE who have been riding PACQUIAO for being

the CATCHWEIGHT KING ? :shock: Now they have seen the enemy and the enemy is THEM! 8)

So what if FLOYDs a sellout over two pounds, the weight of regular Big Gulp..... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:32 am 
Heavyweight

Doesn't this make Canelo the catchweight King now?
:shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:34 am 
Heavyweight

HUNA wrote:
Why would COWARD BOY FLOYD sell out his FANBASE who have been riding PACQUIAO for being

the CATCHWEIGHT KING ? :shock: Now they have seen the enemy and the enemy is THEM! 8)

So what if FLOYDs a sellout over two pounds, the weight of regular Big Gulp..... :lol:

Don't forget Pac's unprecedented $2M per pound of penalty proposal.
Looks like Floid asked $2M per pound against Canelo now. :shock:
Wanna guess what gloves they'll use ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:51 am 
Heavyweight

JoeyInCali wrote:
Doesn't this make Canelo the catchweight King now?
:shock: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next