Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:11 pm 
Middleweight

There's nothing like it. The "Shoulder Roll" popularized by Floyd is the best defensive and offensive technique in boxing today. Mastering it would make one's fighter prolong their career preventing too much accumulation of punches while confidently landing landing your punches to the opponent. I could not help but be impressed with this technique watching adrian bronner while annihilating de Marco with a twist of aggression. His Floyd-like skills really made him another boxing star protege. For now, I firmly believe that there's no "blue print" yet in penetrating the defense of this unique and innovative technique.

Boxers who wants to be successful in boxing, open your eyes... It's the best technique that you need to master.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:17 pm 
Cruiserweight

it won't work for mexicans and filipinos.. they just love to fight and this technique is for boxers who doesny want to engage.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:37 pm 
Middleweight

devondenom wrote:
There's nothing like it. The "Shoulder Roll" popularized by Floyd is the best defensive and offensive technique in boxing today. Mastering it would make one's fighter prolong their career preventing too much accumulation of punches while confidently landing landing your punches to the opponent. I could not help but be impressed with this technique watching adrian bronner while annihilating de Marco with a twist of aggression. His Floyd-like skills really made him another boxing star protege. For now, I firmly believe that there's no "blue print" yet in penetrating the defense of this unique and innovative technique.

Boxers who wants to be successful in boxing, open your eyes... It's the best technique that you need to master.

The blue print is already out there...Samuel Peterson when he beat James Toney twice, FMJ vs JLC, ADRIEN vs DELEON the list goes on.....

Defensive fighters will eat you alive by boxing you from the outside, make the fight ugly by staying in the pocket dont look for an opening to land a big shot (that is stupid thing DeMarco did when he fought broner) just let your hands go, be a volume puncher, throw combinations..make them uncomfortable, dont let them out point you in that way you are controlling the fight....

Thats my expert analysis :peace:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:39 pm 
Middleweight

gabbi wrote:
it won't work for mexicans and filipinos.. they just love to fight and this technique is for boxers who doesny want to engage.

Why not? It's about choice... Not to belittle the usual Mexican and Filipino style of fighting but what this traditional style of boxing do is just to entertain the crowd. But for the boxers welfare it doesn't do any good to their health and prolonging their career, at the end of it all they just want to earn money to feed their family so if they really want that intention they need to make a smart choice of boxing style and technique. I'm a Filipino and the way most of our boxers fight is more of pride and glory rather than practical way of earning. Good if they don't have a family to feed. In these times you need to be more smart and practical with your choice.

I do believe that Floyds technique would be the most practical way of fighting in the ring.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:01 pm 
Middleweight

Quote:
krayz211 quote: The blue print is already out there...Samuel Peterson when he beat James Toney twice, FMJ vs JLC, ADRIEN vs DELEON the list goes on.....

Defensive fighters will eat you alive by boxing you from the outside, make the fight ugly by staying in the pocket dont look for an opening to land a big shot (that is stupid thing DeMarco did when he fought broner) just let your hands go, be a volume puncher, throw combinations..make them uncomfortable, dont let them out point you in that way you are controlling the fight....

Floyd got caught by some punches of an aggressive fighter like JLC and Cotto but only because he choose to... psychologically speaking he's just fooling around and sometimes he engages just to entertain the crowd. The shoulder roll is most effective with good lateral movement and constant movement around the ring and of course focus on the execution. If there are other means of beating it is the poor execution of the technique and cockiness, more on the fighters behalf and not on the technique.

Last edited by devondenom on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:03 pm 
Welterweight

I am not sure but I believe floyd sr used the shoulder role against Sugar Ray Leonard
and he end up losing the fight by TKO. just search it in youtube.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:05 pm 
Middleweight

majayjay wrote:
I am not sure but I believe floyd sr used the shoulder role against Sugar Ray Leonard

You do the searching if you really want to prove.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:09 pm 
Middleweight

krayz211 wrote:
devondenom wrote:

The blue print is already out there...Samuel Peterson when he beat James Toney twice, FMJ vs JLC, ADRIEN vs DELEON the list goes on.....

Thats the reason why JMM lose to FMJ by not throwing punches in bunches..which what pac's doing, the reason why FMJ ducks Pacman.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:12 pm 
Heavyweight

majayjay wrote:

When asked how he would deal with floyd Jr.'s shoulder roll, Leonard said he would aim a little higher to the head instead of trying to find the chin. That was the common mistake made by most of Floyd's opponents, they were trying to hit something so well protected.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:28 pm 
Light Heavyweight

lol., shoulder roll but the master of the shoulder can't sign a fight against a lefty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:48 pm 
Cruiserweight

majayjay wrote:

good to know haha

Last edited by reynerose on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:50 pm 
Cruiserweight

mcknug wrote:
lol., shoulder roll but the master of the shoulder can't sign a fight against a lefty

yes bro. bcoz kfc is scared to death to fight pac, kfc will choose to fight cancer rather than fight pac.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:02 pm 
Lightweight

Look closely at the shoulder roll. If two right handed boxers take a conventional stance both will have a lead left foot. The one executing the shoulder roll will use his right hand to block the left specially left hooks. His left shoulder will cover his chin so that the right hooks of the opponent could not get through.

When fighting a left handed boxer, the shoulder roll will not work as well. The leftie will just keep turning counterclockwise. This will create an opening at for both a left straight and right jabs or even right hooks. This is the reason why Mayweather has been ducking Pacquiao. Pacquaio's left handed boxing stance would make it extremely difficult to execute the shoulder roll defense.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:09 pm 
Cruiserweight

majayjay wrote:

just because the Philly Shell is a good defensive technique doesn't necessarily ensure victory...
Ray was just far too talented for Floyd Sr... but he did give him fits in that fight. It wasn't as one
sided as it should have been considering how gifted Ray was...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:11 pm 
Middleweight

onelenz wrote:
... the reason why FMJ ducks Pacman.

With all due respect, based from realistic point of view. The issue of the fight not being made between Floyd and Manny is not about Floyd ducking Manny Pacquiao or vice versa. It's about the terms of the fight. Both fighters' demands are conflicting. It's about pride and getting the biggest share of the pie add Bob Arum to the mix and it became a complex negotiation. If Manny gives in to the 45-55 term then Floyd wins the psychological and monetary war which provides him a 95% of winning chance.

In my own personal opinion this fight should not happen. Floyd is right, Manny is way out of his level considering the weight, experience and skills. Manny is biting more than he can chew if he made this fight happen for he is not a natural welterweight. Floyd should be fighting the likes of Martinez or Andre Ward. But I understand him... he lives with his monicker "Money" and at his age and status he has the right pick up fights where PPV counts. For Manny, he should be contented of the legacy he already established. There's no need for him to take dangerous fight that would hurt his legacy, I would suggest for him to retire right away after his 4th bout with Marquez... WIN or LOOSE.