Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:25 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:53 pm 
Heavyweight

krayz211 wrote:
Lildevalt wrote:
When u see Ali dancing around, avoiding to engage Shavers and Foreman or Sugar Ray Leonard literally running away from Hagler and Duran (rematch), and to be even more latest to u - when u see Marquez backpedaling everytime Manny moves forward ......do u see all that as a sign of mental weakness?

For me, i call that self-preservation. Or strategy as it applies to a particular situation. it's hard to reconcile the thought of a mentally weak fighter accepting the toughest challenges around. What for? It's but natural for a fighter to ease off when he's tired and battered. Even Pacquiao backed off quicker than Cotto when Morales was chasing him down. And Tyson also clinched a lot when he got tired. So, are they mentally weak too?

Kuya, its not hard to see the difference between Boxing and just literally running...

But u are having trouble interpreting mental weakness and self-preservation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:03 pm 
Middleweight

Lildevalt wrote:
krayz211 wrote:
Lildevalt wrote:
When u see Ali dancing around, avoiding to engage Shavers and Foreman or Sugar Ray Leonard literally running away from Hagler and Duran (rematch), and to be even more latest to u - when u see Marquez backpedaling everytime Manny moves forward ......do u see all that as a sign of mental weakness?

For me, i call that self-preservation. Or strategy as it applies to a particular situation. it's hard to reconcile the thought of a mentally weak fighter accepting the toughest challenges around. What for? It's but natural for a fighter to ease off when he's tired and battered. Even Pacquiao backed off quicker than Cotto when Morales was chasing him down. And Tyson also clinched a lot when he got tired. So, are they mentally weak too?

Kuya, its not hard to see the difference between Boxing and just literally running...

But u are having trouble interpreting mental weakness and self-preservation.

Lets not go too far kuya...I just shared my observation on weather why Cotto abandoned his jab in response to the topic of this thread....I also gave you the link of my comparison on how Pac answers Cotto's jab...

thats all, I thank you! :biglaugh: have a good day :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:28 pm 
Heavyweight

krayz211 wrote:
Lildevalt wrote:
In what specific rounds did Manny outjab Cotto? Compubox is telling me that Cotto outlanded manny by 19 jabs. Cotto's stiff jabs against Manny's tapping jabs. I'm not busy at the moment and i could use a few minutes of my time replaying what i'd missed.

On fresh legs, Cotto was doing good too in the early rounds. He managed to cut the ring well and connected some shots of his own. From mid rounds to the end, Cotto's stamina faded and those body shots he took from Trout took their toll.

Kuya, i never said Manny outjab Cotto..Im talking about how Manny answered Cotto's jabs in the early rounds which i also see in the Cotto Trout fight....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08kUTlcjCfU
Round 1 - 0:29
Round 2 - 2:00, 1:58, 1:46
Round 3 - 2:29, 1:50, 1:17
Basic southpaw weapon for ortodox jab

In your observation that Cotto faded in the later rounds due to body shots he took from Trout maybe right..but my observation tells me Cotto submitted due to his mental weakness as always the problem with him...When you see Cotto doing jumping jack in the ring that tells you he doesnt want to fight no more...jumping/running around the ring is not a sign of weak stamina hes simply avoiding Trout in the 2nd half of the fight like he already stop trying to win....

Your video shows that it was Manny's right hand either the hook or a jab , not the left hand, which tagged Cotto everytime the Puerto Rican lowers his left guard or attempts to jab. In one sequence, Cotto attempted a blocking motion with his left hand as Manny feinted with a right jab.

Round 1 - 0:22 Manny slips in a jab over Cotto's left hand
0:30 Manny fires a right hook over Cotto's left hand
And this is just in the initial stages of the fight.

There are numerous sequences which show Manny firing the right or faking the right hand. If anything it isn't the left which dissuades or makes Cotto hesitate to fire the jab, it's the right hand because as soon as Cotto fires the left jab, it leaves him open for the right hand over the jab.
Check your video again. The left hand is thrown thru the middle not Cotto's left or right side.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:47 pm 
Heavyweight

krayz211 wrote:
Emmanuel53 wrote:
The left lead from a southpaw would travel a longer distance than the jab from an orthodox fighter.

Only if a southpaw didnt position his head outside of the jabber....

Ei, Ive been seeing you guys posting a lot here in new pacland so i thought you guys know this basic boxing im talking about.

And where does the left hand go thru? Right in the middle. Not the left or right side. The orthodox jabber exposes his left side. And this is basic.
You talk of basic. Here's basic.

Quote:
Parrying & Countering

As a southpaw, it’s easiest to parry your opponent’s jab with your right hand. Simply tap the outside of his wrist as the jab approaches your face. Parrying his jab inward gives you outside position on your opponent, assuming your lead foot remains outside of his lead foot. Outside positioning allows you to work the left side of your opponent’s body with relative ease.

After you parry his jab, counter by throwing a jab of your own. In most cases you will be able to jab his head while his arm is coming back. Your movements must be quick, though, in order for this tactic to be successful. As always, double or triple jab combinations are effective point scorers as long as you get your hand back quickly in anticipation of his counter.

Other options stemming from the parry, jab sequence are the jab, straight left (1-2) and jab, straight left, and right hook (1-2-3) combinations. These combinations work especially well when you perform them in the following sequence:

So the southpaw throws his own RIGHT JAB as the orthodox's fighter arm is coming back. Review your video again and see how Cotto exposes his left side as soon as he throws the jab and how Manny counters with his own right hand.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:51 am 
Middleweight

krayz211 wrote:
Lildevalt wrote:
krayz211 wrote:
Fighting everyone they put in front of you wont guarantee that youre mentally tough but watching them how their mind respond in the middle of a heated battle....I saw Cotto succumbed to Margarito onslaught, the way he was trying to survive when he fought Pacquiao by just running in the ring tells me hes mind cannot coup up in tough competitions..You will see Cotto running when the going gets rough, just like the case when he fought Trout...

What was your impression of Cotto when he chased Mayweather around like a hungry wolf?

I call it confidence, he gain it when Floyd cant back him up..actually that tells me he's no way in danger in that fight....just watching the reaction of his family when he was fighting Floyd, they are not even worried compared to when he was fighting Pacquiao and Tony

I think Austin Trout did a far better job beating Cotto, than Mayweather did. Even though Mayweather won that fight, Cotto made him pay for that win by going after him all night. Floyd can't handle that much pressure, that's why he lost the first Castillo fight.

Based on Cotto's last performance against Trout, I think he should call it a day and let the youngsters takeover the 154 division. And based on Floyd's last performance against Cotto, I think Pac will still win by KO if they ever make the fight happen. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:51 am 
Middleweight

inbituin wrote:
I think Austin Trout did a far better job beating Cotto, than Mayweather did. Even though Mayweather won that fight, Cotto made him pay for that win by going after him all night. Floyd can't handle that much pressure, that's why he lost the first Castillo fight.

Based on Cotto's last performance against Trout, I think he should call it a day and let the youngsters takeover the 154 division. And based on Floyd's last performance against Cotto, I think Pac will still win by KO if they ever make the fight happen. Just sayin'.

I agree that Austin did a better job and agree that Floyds style will always have a hard time against them "good" pressure fighters..

I always thougth Manny will KO Floyd..I still believe he can do it..the pressure will be too much for a defensive minded fighter like Floyd..being too defensive and cant able to move his legs the way it was when hes still fighting in the lower weight division will cost him the fight...IMO Floyd will give Manny a good fight if he still can move those legs the way it used to.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:53 am 
Middleweight

Emmanuel53 wrote:
Your video shows that it was Manny's right hand either the hook or a jab , not the left hand, which tagged Cotto everytime the Puerto Rican lowers his left guard or attempts to jab. In one sequence, Cotto attempted a blocking motion with his left hand as Manny feinted with a right jab.

Round 1 - 0:22 Manny slips in a jab over Cotto's left hand
0:30 Manny fires a right hook over Cotto's left hand
And this is just in the initial stages of the fight.

There are numerous sequences which show Manny firing the right or faking the right hand. If anything it isn't the left which dissuades or makes Cotto hesitate to fire the jab, it's the right hand because as soon as Cotto fires the left jab, it leaves him open for the right hand over the jab.
Check your video again. The left hand is thrown thru the middle not Cotto's left or right side.

You got it all wrong kuya...
Round 1 - 0:29 meaning the last 29secs of round 1, not the first 29secs of the video....

here, watch it again
Im talking about the "round time" not the time in the video

Here are the example pics of Pac doing that punch.
ImageImage

krayz211 wrote:
Emmanuel53 wrote:
The left lead from a southpaw would travel a longer distance than the jab from an orthodox fighter.

Ei, Ive been seeing you guys posting a lot here in new pacland so i thought you guys know this basic boxing im talking about.

Emmanuel53 wrote:
And where does the left hand go thru? Right in the middle. Not the left or right side. The orthodox jabber exposes his left side. And this is basic.

Quote:
Parrying & Countering

As a southpaw, it’s easiest to parry your opponent’s jab with your right hand. Simply tap the outside of his wrist as the jab approaches your face. Parrying his jab inward gives you outside position on your opponent, assuming your lead foot remains outside of his lead foot. Outside positioning allows you to work the left side of your opponent’s body with relative ease.

After you parry his jab, counter by throwing a jab of your own. In most cases you will be able to jab his head while his arm is coming back. Your movements must be quick, though, in order for this tactic to be successful. As always, double or triple jab combinations are effective point scorers as long as you get your hand back quickly in anticipation of his counter.

Other options stemming from the parry, jab sequence are the jab, straight left (1-2) and jab, straight left, and right hook (1-2-3) combinations. These combinations work especially well when you perform them in the following sequence:

So the southpaw throws his own RIGHT JAB as the orthodox's fighter arm is coming back. Review your video again and see how Cotto exposes his left side as soon as he throws the jab and how Manny counters with his own right hand.

Kuya, your example is just one of the choices you can do/use to utilize orthodox jab if your a southpaw..
But i would pick left straight/cross(dont ask me again about that cross and straight thing, i explained that to you before already) to counter orthodox jabs coz its more devastating at pogi tingnan, astig ang dating :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:08 pm 
Heavyweight

Quote:
You got it all wrong kuya...
Round 1 - 0:29 meaning the last 29secs of round 1, not the first 29secs of the video....

here, watch it again
Im talking about the "round time" not the time in the video

It's you who got it wrong. I watched the video and even in the initial stages, Pacquiao was using the right hand whether as a hook or a jab whenever Cotto drops his left guard or fires a jab and exposes his left side. That left hand goes thru the middle even in the pics that you showed. It goes thru the space between the two hands of the opponent. The left jab exposes the left side of the boxer. How do you defend against a punch going thru the middle? You either tuck your elbows together , duck, or move your head sideways. You fire either hand, the left or the right, or you allow for a gap and you're vulnerable to a punch thrown thru the pipe.
Manny's right hand was very active during that fight either as a hook or a jab.

Quote:
Kuya, your example is just one of the choices you can do/use to utilize orthodox jab if your a southpaw..
But i would pick left straight/cross(dont ask me again about that cross and straight thing, i explained that to you before already) to counter orthodox jabs coz its more devastating at pogi tingnan, astig ang dating

You're talking of basic, right. Read anything on basic countering and it will always mention that the easiest and most basic way to counter a jab is to throw your own before the opponent's arm comes back to protect his head.
Let me repost your statement.

Quote:

I think it's you who should read up on your basics.
And remember that the first knockdown was caused by a right hand. Merchant's own words in that video "trying to use the right over the left".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:10 am 
Middleweight

Emmanuel53 wrote:

It's you who got it wrong. I watched the video and even in the initial stages, Pacquiao was using the right hand whether as a hook or a jab whenever Cotto drops his left guard or fires a jab and exposes his left side. That left hand goes thru the middle even in the pics that you showed. It goes thru the space between the two hands of the opponent. The left jab exposes the left side of the boxer. How do you defend against a punch going thru the middle? You either tuck your elbows together , duck, or move your head sideways. You fire either hand, the left or the right, or you allow for a gap and you're vulnerable to a punch thrown thru the pipe.

wow naman kuya!....hirap n hirap na ako sayo kakaingles..parang hindi tayo nagkakaintindihan..hindi ko alam kung ako ang magulo oh ndi mo lang iniintindi mga paliwanag ko? sure ka bang binabasa mo mga sinasabi ko?....

Why do you always have to make it hard for me everytime?! im bleeding my nose already :lol:

here kuya simple as this.....We are talking about the counters that Manny used for Cotto's jabs..You keep bringing the right hook and jab but you failed to see Pac countering Cotto's jabs with his left straights? You didnt see Manny leading with his left in the 2nd and 3rd round of the fight?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:30 pm 
Heavyweight

krayz211 wrote:
Emmanuel53 wrote:

wow naman kuya!....hirap n hirap na ako sayo kakaingles..parang hindi tayo nagkakaintindihan..hindi ko alam kung ako ang magulo oh ndi mo lang iniintindi mga paliwanag ko? sure ka bang binabasa mo mga sinasabi ko?....

Why do you always have to make it hard for me everytime?! im bleeding my nose already :lol:

here kuya simple as this.....We are talking about the counters that Manny used for Cotto's jabs..You keep bringing the right hook and jab but you failed to see Pac countering Cotto's jabs with his left straights? You didnt see Manny leading with his left in the 2nd and 3rd round of the fight?

Count the frequency of Manny's right hands everytime Cotto drops his guard or unleashes his jabs against the number of times that he used the left hand. You provided the video and only blind people would not notice that Pacquiao prepared for Cotto's jab by using the right hand with far more frequency than the left hand.
You used isolated instances when Manny used the left straight where there are multiple circumstances when Manny unleashed the right hand against the Cotto jab. Even Merchant noticed that Manny was using the right over Cotto's left hand.
You talk of boxing basics and Manny was being very basic when he used his own right hand to neutralize or discourage Cotto from opening up with the left jab. Your very own video disputes your own contention. And that first knockdown was caused by a right hand.
Start counting Pacquiao's right hand against Cotto's jab vis-a-vis Manny's left , and you'll notice a huge discrepancy. And you said leading, and that definitely is not countering. Read up on your boxing basics.
At saka yong mga sagot mo halatang nagpapalusot ka lang. Yong mismong video mo, halos puro kanan ang binitawan ni Manny pag bumabato si Cotto ng jab kasi nga exposed yong left side ni Cotto. You're always insisting on that left straight. Eh panahon pa ni kopong kopong binibitawan na ni Manny yang suntok na yan. Halos lahat ng laban ni Manny yan ang bread and butter punch niya.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:10 pm 
Middleweight

Emmanuel53 wrote:
Count the frequency of Manny's right hands everytime Cotto drops his guard or unleashes his jabs against the number of times that he used the left hand. You provided the video and only blind people would not notice that Pacquiao prepared for Cotto's jab by using the right hand with far more frequency than the left hand.
You used isolated instances when Manny used the left straight where there are multiple circumstances when Manny unleashed the right hand against the Cotto jab. Even Merchant noticed that Manny was using the right over Cotto's left hand.
You talk of boxing basics and Manny was being very basic when he used his own right hand to neutralize or discourage Cotto from opening up with the left jab. Your very own video disputes your own contention. And that first knockdown was caused by a right hand.
Start counting Pacquiao's right hand against Cotto's jab vis-a-vis Manny's left , and you'll notice a huge discrepancy. And you said leading, and that definitely is not countering. Read up on your boxing basics.
At saka yong mga sagot mo halatang nagpapalusot ka lang. Yong mismong video mo, halos puro kanan ang binitawan ni Manny pag bumabato si Cotto ng jab kasi nga exposed yong left side ni Cotto. You're always insisting on that left straight. Eh panahon pa ni kopong kopong binibitawan na ni Manny yang suntok na yan. Halos lahat ng laban ni Manny yan ang bread and butter punch niya.

WOW!!! I cant believe it! Ei, thats what you get for entering a conversation you are not even part of...Me and Lildevalt are talking about how Trout disabled Cotto's jab, then it turn out to how did Pac utilized Cotto's jab that i observed Trout also did in the Cotto fight...Lildevalt and I are not even talking about the knockdowns in Pac Cotto fight..and my argument was the left straight that Manny used for to answer some of Cotto's jabs in the particular rounds i showed you that I also notice Trout did to Cotto's jabs,kaya malamang lang na ung suntok (left straight) na un yung mga ipinapakita ko sayo sa video na binigay ko sayo at kung tlagang tiningnan mo nga ung mga round time na binigay ko sayo eh mga left straight ang binibitawan dun ni Manny wala kang makikitang hooks sa mga time mark n un! Pero never kong sinabi na hindi rin si manny gumamit ng right hook sa laban n yun...

kastress magreply kuya ndi mo nmn ata naiintindihan ingles ko...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:56 pm 
Heavyweight

krayz211 wrote:
Emmanuel53 wrote:

WOW!!! I cant believe it! Ei, thats what you get for entering a conversation you are not even part of...Me and Lildevalt are talking about how Trout disabled Cotto's jab, then it turn out to how did Pac utilized Cotto's jab that i observed Trout also did in the Cotto fight...Lildevalt and I are not even talking about the knockdowns in Pac Cotto fight..and my argument was the left straight that Manny used for to answer some of Cotto's jabs in the particular rounds i showed you that I also notice Trout did to Cotto's jabs,kaya malamang lang na ung suntok (left straight) na un yung mga ipinapakita ko sayo sa video na binigay ko sayo at kung tlagang tiningnan mo nga ung mga round time na binigay ko sayo eh mga left straight ang binibitawan dun ni Manny wala kang makikitang hooks sa mga time mark n un! Pero never kong sinabi na hindi rin si manny gumamit ng right hook sa laban n yun...

And LIldevalt didn't agree with you.
Eh siempre. What fight of Manny did he not use the left straight? He practically threw that punch in all his fights and now you're telling us that he used it to disable Cotto's jab.
Kahit hindi jumajab ang kalaban ni Manny binibitawan niya yong left straight KANYA NGA LEAD LEFT ANG TAWAG.. Of course, you'll find moments in the fight, in fact, most of Manny's fights where he threw that left down the pipe. Against Marquez, Barrera, Morales, Dela Hoya, Diaz ,etc.
What was being discussed was Manny's counter against the jab of Cotto and that right was specifically meant as a counterpunch to the Cotto jab and not the left straight as you kept on insisting even in a previous thread. Sabi mo pa nga adjustment. Paanong adjustment eh palagi ngang binibitawan ni Manny yong kaliwa at expected na yon ng sinomang makalaban niya. Simple lang. Bilangin mo yong bitaw ng kanan ni Manny tuwing jajab si Cotto o ibaba niya yong kaliwang guard niya. It was obvious that the right hand was being used to neutralize Cotto's jab or discourage Miguel from throwing it.
Those moments in your video against Cotto will duplicate similar instances in most of Manny's fights EVEN IF THE OPPONENT IS NOT JABBING. You can't even distinguish the difference between a lead punch and a counterpunch. Tapos sasabihan mo kami ng boxing basics eh ikaw ata ang di nakakaintindi.
Ayan tinagalog ko na. At saka huwag ka ngang magpalusot. Ikaw yong nagsingit nong laban ni Pacquiao kay Cotto and LIldevalt didn't agree with you even on that score.
And when you talk about that fight, the first knockdown was part of the fight.
Ibig mong sabihin if there is a discussion between two posters in this forum, it's exclusive to them, hindi pwedeng mag express ng opinion yong iba. I don't see that being the rule of thumb in this forum, kanya nga FORUM.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:41 pm 
Middleweight

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Ok...Let me refresh your memory kuya ha?!

LIldevalt and I are talking then you quote me first..this is what you quote from me....

Emmanuel53 wrote:
krayz211 wrote:
Trout in the early rounds was very successful in throwin left straights in the middle while his head positions outside Cotto's jab everytime he throws it...I also agree with your observation kuya that the body shots also helped a lot..but you can also watch the reply to see what im taking about....

then i answer you with this...

krayz211 wrote:

then this is what you said.....

Emmanuel53 wrote:

Now....since this is where all started...let me ask you this question....
Since you keep on talking about "jab over his jab" counter and the "right hook"....Have you ever heard of this "Left cross when he jabs" basic counter? If you know it,why you keep on talking about the right hooks when im clearly talking about the other counter manny used for cottos jab which is the left straight..whats your point?!

Emmanuel53 wrote:
Ibig mong sabihin if there is a discussion between two posters in this forum, it's exclusive to them, hindi pwedeng mag express ng opinion yong iba. I don't see that being the rule of thumb in this forum, kanya nga FORUM.

Wala akong sinabi kuya na bawal makisali sa usapan :lol: gumagawa ka nmn ng sarili mong ikagagalit sakin... ang sakin lang bago ka nakisali sana alam mo na pinaguusapan namin.......

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:58 pm 
Heavyweight

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Quote:
krayz211"]
Since you keep on talking about "jab over his jab" counter and the "right hook"....Have you ever heard of this "Left cross when he jabs" basic counter? If you know it,why you keep on talking about the right hooks when im clearly talking about the other counter manny used for cottos jab which is the left straight..whats your point?!

Let me refresh your memory too. Didn't you just say?

Quote:

Why do you always have to make it hard for me everytime?! im bleeding my nose already

How can a counterpunch and a lead punch be the same unless you're revising textbook boxing. Now you're speaking about the other counter that Manny used when previously you said that

Quote:
The same thing how Manny disabled Cotto's jab with a left lead...
[/quote][/quote]

You made it appear that the left lead was solely responsible for allegedly disabling the Cotto jab when it was the right hand which Manny threw with greater frequency against the left jab.
So was it the left lead or the left counter?

Last edited by Emmanuel53 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:06 pm 
Heavyweight

Quote:
Wala akong sinabi kuya na bawal makisali sa usapan gumagawa ka nmn ng sarili mong ikagagalit sakin... ang sakin lang bago ka nakisali sana alam mo na pinaguusapan namin.......

Wala ba, eh anong ibig sabihin nito

Quote:

Ups careful sa choice of words, tapos deny to death.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next