Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:15 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:12 am 
Middleweight

I see a very accurate view and analysis of this writer on the upcoming Mayweather/Guerrero bout next week. I have every wish to see Floyd down and defeated but his style and tactics, specially the elbow and arm push will give Guerrero some hard time. Hope he find a way to counter this. Note also my highlighted lines re one reason Maynever refuses to fight Pacquiao. Read on and let's hear your 2 cents folks;

April 26, 2013

WHY GUERRERO IS NOT THE ONE TO DEFEAT MAYWEATHER
By Tommy Canez

When Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero steps into the ring with Floyd "Money" Mayweather on May 4th, 2013, he will not only be going into the biggest fight of his entire career, he also faces the impossible task of nullifying all of Mayweather's precision, technique, tactics, and skills. On top of that, Guerrero seemingly does not possess the particular skill set needed to expose Mayweather's weaknesses. But what, if anything, can Guererro do different than Mayweather's 42 previous opponents? (Mayweather is 43-0 but fought one opponent twice). The answer is not much, because Guerrero will not be able to offset what Mayweather does to perfection. Let's take a closer look at why Guerrero is not the one to defeat Mayweather.

GUERRERO DOES NOT POSSESS A GREAT JAB

We have seen that Mayweather struggles when there is a consistent, stiff jab in his face. The jabs of Oscar De La Hoya and Miguel Cotto made Mayweather uncomfortable and made their fights against him very competitive. Besides his first fight against Jose Luis Castillo, these were two of Mayweather's closests fights (even though Mayweather won them both). If De La Hoya had keet pumping the jab the entire fight, it could have been the difference maker on the scorecards. The same goes in the Cotto fight. Cotto's hard jab bloodied Mayweather's nose and kept the fight competitive. But the jab is not one of Guerrero's major strengths. His jab is neither a power, heavy-handed jab like Cotto's jab, which can knock you down nor is it a jab like De La Hoya's who had one of the best jabs in the history of the sport and could inflict severe damage by snapping his opponent's head back or twisting the jab at the end to open up cuts. Heavyweight great George Foreman once said that when you are fighting a speedy fighter, you must take the spin off of the jab and instead point the jab at your opponent to be effective. Guerrero would need to be able use the jab the same way a baseball pitcher does by changing up his pitches' speed, angles, and velocity. If Guerrero can do this, it could be a major key to keeping Mayweather uncomfortable. However, this is not Guerrero's strength and it probably won't be come fight time.

GUERRERO WILL NOT BE ABLE TO OVERCOME MAYWEATHER'S ELBOW/FOREARM TO THE THROAT

If you look closely at Mayweather's fights, he is very proficient at sticking his elbow or forearm in his opponent's throat on the inside. Well, fighting on the inside is Robert Guerrero's forte. Fighting on the inside is what Guerrero wants and Mayweather knows this, which is why he will use this tactic to perfection all night long. If team Guerrero is not aware of this or does not bring it to the referee's attention come locker room instruction time, Guerrero will just be another victim of Floyd's elbow/forearm and the frustration that accompanies it. Guererro must be prepared for this and must come up with a plan to counter it. In Mayweather's fight against Shane Mosley, he stuck the elbow/forearm to Mosley's throat the whole night and there was nothing Mosley could do about it. It may not be much different for Guerrero.

GUERERRO CANNOT AVOID MAYWEATHER'S "THIRD FIST"

Mayweather likes to use a third fist in the ring by sticking his elbow out while his opponent is punching. This stops them from punching. Why? Because it stings when you get hit with an elbow in your face and makes you pause. Victor Ortiz was the last guy who fell victim to this tactic. Ortiz claimed that Mayweather stuck his elbow out while he was punching and that the referee did not catch it. If Guererro's game plan is to push Mayweather to the ropes and keep the fight up close just as he did with Andre Berto, this tactic will block Guerrero from executing, unless he has a plan to counter an elbow to the face. Mayweather is a master at this and will utilize this all fight long.

GUERRERO CANNOT PUNCH WHILE MAYWEATHER IS PUNCHING

When Mayweather fought Demarcus "Chop Chop" Corley, he was hurt when Corley was able to punch while Mayweather was punching. Corley actually hurt Mayweather pretty badly. If Guerrero was proficient at this strategy, it would work well for him especialy since he is a southpaw, like Corley. However, Guerrero's punches tend to be wide and punching while his opponent is punching is not Guerrero's specialty. Some say that this strategy of being able to punch while his opponent is punching is one of the reasons Mayweather did not want to fight Manny Pacquiao because this was one of Pacquiao's best skills.

BOTTOM LINE

Ultimately, if Guerrero is to have any chance to win this fight, he must be able to do something different than the strategy that Mayweather's previous opponents utilized. We have all heard that the key to defeating Mayweather is to use constant pressure, constant pressure, and more constant pressure but so far that hasn't worked at all. So far, that strategy has failed over and over again. It got Ricky Hatton knocked out, Mosley beat up, Ortiz knocked out, and Cotto's face busted up.

Mayweather said that Guerrero is a flat-footed fighter with no leg movement, straight up and down, and no special effects. These are the types of fighters that Mayweather loves to fight because he can exploit them and their styles are tailor made for him. Those qualities may very well be why Mayweather chose to fight Guerrero. If Guerrero was a fighter who could bounce on his toes like Muhammad Ali, utilized great side-to-side movement like Aaron Pryor, and had the special effects of a Roy Jones Jr, he probably would have never received the opportunity to fight Mayweather.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:17 am 
Middleweight

Let's hear your comments guys.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:48 am 
Welterweight

Guerrero has a good jab, in fact its pretty good. He virtually jabbed Katsidis to death with it. Bonehead article.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:59 am 
Light Heavyweight

This is actually very simple....

When Mayweather decides to fight someone, you can be absolutely sure he didn't choose him for no reason.
So no matter what strategy you can come up with, you will never beat Mayweather.

To beat Mayweather, you need to beat him at the negotiation table.
Sadly, he has all the aces and in the sport of boxing there are no rules to a mandatory opponent.
Even if he has the belt, the sanctioning body can't do sh!t.

So to Guerrero, good luck to you. How I wish I am wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:52 am 
Cruiserweight

walangalam wrote:

When Mayweather decides to fight someone, you can be absolutely sure he didn't choose him for no reason.
So no matter what strategy you can come up with, you will never beat Mayweather.

Sadly, he has all the aces and in the sport of boxing there are no rules to a mandatory opponent.

that's the best reminder to all upcoming mayweather opponents. poor guerrero, he was chosen because he has no chance of winning. same goes to manny, if one day mayweather wants to fight him, since he's been fighting southpaw from he's recent fight starting with victor ortiz.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:07 pm 
Cruiserweight

The problem of Mayweather now is that he cannot run anymore they know it his father his uncle they know it so they are telling him to fight smart. Because the Ghost forte is infighting whatever tactics he brings there is easy for the Ghost.

The Ghost can easily go inside aside from the fact that he cannot run anymore the Ghost going toward his left seems very natural for him and with ease while Mayweather facing this kind of style will make him look awkward (see Berto fight copying Mayweather style and the Ghost moving toward his left). And the Ghost will look quicker than him marked my word, this guy came from a lighter division.

This is what I saw that's why my post is Mayweather is finished.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:18 pm 
Cruiserweight

walangalam wrote:

You don't even mention any style of play only blah,blah,blah negotiation helps him but we are now in scientific boxing, Guerrero comes from a family of boxer also this fight will be decided inside the ring where there are only two of them.

There is no health problem for Jeff and the Sr. mentioned before don't ever let him fight a left hander anymore. Because Guerrero is the most competent natural left hand boxer out there. This is the very reason they call his father to join the training.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:56 pm 
Heavyweight

guerrero has a chance if he'd only set aside his natural fighting style. he has a chance if he'd go on all-out brawl without let-up and never let floyd put a wide distance between them where floyd is so effective.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:37 pm 
Welterweight

dominic wrote:
guerrero has a chance if he'd only set aside his natural fighting style. he has a chance if he'd go on all-out brawl without let-up and never let floyd put a wide distance between them where floyd is so effective.

Excellent Topic. I want to add that one of the reason why Floyd has not been beaten is due to his ultimate reflex and mulitiple tactics/skills. What I mean by this is that it seems like it doesn't matter what your style is or how you fight him, his reflex and ring generalship prevails. The only way I think he can be in trouble is if the opponent have speed and reflex close to his speed. We all know Pacman not only has speed but also has tremendous power. That's the biggest reason why this duck wont fight pacman.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:51 pm 
Cruiserweight

bonesetter wrote:
dominic wrote:

Excellent Topic. I want to add that one of the reason why Floyd has not been beaten is due to his ultimate reflex and mulitiple tactics/skills. What I mean by this is that it seems like it doesn't matter what your style is or how you fight him, his reflex and ring generalship prevails. The only way I think he can be in trouble is if the opponent have speed and reflex close to his speed. We all know Pacman not only has speed but also has tremendous power. That's the biggest reason why this duck wont fight pacman.

Pacman will have a very hard time fighting Mayweather unless he brings the style he won against De la hoya. The De la hoya fight is the reference since then the ducking started. Still the Pacman going towards the left.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:11 am 
Middleweight

dominic wrote:

Agree with you bro,as what Castillo did in their first fight. Remembering the Ortiz-Mayweather bout, Ortiz was scoring good shots during the later part of the fight and was clearly giving Floyd some problem, unfortunately his youth got the better of him, he got infuriated by the elbow and arm pushing which the referee ignores and clouded his decision resulting to intentional headbutting by him. No wonder Maynever would never grant him a rematch. I'm sure The Ghost would learn something from videos of this fight.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:35 am 
Middleweight

walangalam wrote:

It was supposed to be against Andre Berto in this fight, they were both under Al Haymon and negotiations have been oriented for a Floyd-Berto bout before that Berto-Guerrero fight. Unfortunately The Ghost gave them a surprise when he was able to withstand Berto's big bombs and came up the better guy.
I hope Guerrero comes up with a surprise again this time, and if he was able to weather those heavy shots from Berto (who I believe hits harder than Floyd) then he stands a better chance against the much hyped one. Add to that Floyd's evident age related slow down as shown in his last 2 fights against Cotto and Mosley. I have to go with Guerrero this time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:26 am 
Middleweight

...and it looks like coach Roach has same prediction, a brave 4-5 rounds KO by The Ghost. See vid;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK-pMagwdsk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:08 am 
Light Heavyweight

pacman reloaded wrote:

When Mayweather fought Demarcus "Chop Chop" Corley, he was hurt when Corley was able to punch while Mayweather was punching. Corley actually hurt Mayweather pretty badly. If Guerrero was proficient at this strategy, it would work well for him especialy since he is a southpaw, like Corley. However, Guerrero's punches tend to be wide and punching while his opponent is punching is not Guerrero's specialty. Some say that this strategy of being able to punch while his opponent is punching is one of the reasons Mayweather did not want to fight Manny Pacquiao because this was one of Pacquiao's best skills.

I agree with that statement ....
Mayweather avoided Pacquiao...Because Pacman is unpredictable...punch in all angles
too...

But....these analysis is only basing Guerrero's previous fights...
Surely they practice a different strategy now...
The question...if Guerrero have the patience over Mayweather's dirty tactics..
elbows...etc....

basing also on "All Access" interview...he mentioned he wanted to
punish Berto up to 12 rounds..

If this will happen fight night, Guerrero has chances...
...coming soon...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:05 am 
Middleweight

Lapu2x wrote:
pacman reloaded wrote:

I agree with that statement ....
Mayweather avoided Pacquiao...Because Pacman is unpredictable...punch in all angles
too...

But....these analysis is only basing Guerrero's previous fights...
Surely they practice a different strategy now...
The question...if Guerrero have the patience over Mayweather's dirty tactics..
elbows...etc....

basing also on "All Access" interview...he mentioned he wanted to
punish Berto up to 12 rounds..

If this will happen fight night, Guerrero has chances...
...coming soon...

Guerrero has notably matured a lot as he went up in weights, and has been capable of adjusting to his opponents style too while still maintaining his brawler inside fighting style, something that may pose a problem to Mayweather as in the Castillo/Mayweather-1 fight. On his bout with Berto he knew heavy hitters like this guy usually fades in the later rounds, putting most of their energies in the early part of the rounds releasing heavy shots so he needed to wait for the later rounds when they are a bit used up and weaker, that's part of his game plan I believe.