Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:00 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:50 am 
Heavyweight

ATLANTIC CITY, NJ–In a battle of undefeated junior middleweights, Ismael Villareal won a four-round unanimous decision over Kieran Hooks. Villareal, 156.4 lbs of Bronx, NY won by scores of 39-37 on all cards, and is now 3-0. Hooks, 156.4 lbs

click for more

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:55 pm 
Heavyweight

ATLANTIC CITY, NJ–Eleider Alvarez sat for almost three years as a mandatory challenger for Adonis Stevenson’s WBC Light Heavyweight title. It was well worth the wait as Alvarez scored a spectacular come from behind 7th round stoppage over WBO champion Sergey Kovalev before a sold out crowd at the new Hard Rock Hotel.

Kovalev boxed well over the first part of the fight, and then turned up heat in round four by landing hard power shots.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:55 pm 
Heavyweight

With Kovalev widening his lead, and cutting Alvarez under the left eye in round six, Alvarez came out in round seven by landing a huge right that stumbled and dropped Kovalev.  Kovalev was badly hurt and took a big combination that sent him to the deck for a 2nd time.  Kovalev was sent over the brink with a vicious combination that plummeted “The Krusher” to the canvas for a 3rd and final time, and the fight was 2:03.

Alvarez, 174.4 lbs of Montreal is 24-0 with 12 knockouts.  Kovalev, 174 lbs of Chelyabrinsk, RUS is 32-3-1.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:04 am 
Heavyweight

Kovalwv suffered an upset

Last edited by boxing_the_no1_sport on Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:05 am 
Heavyweight

Alvarez, a native of Colombia, had waited on a title shot as the WBC mandatory challenger for three years. When offered, he jumped at the chance to face Kovalev, earning him tremendous respect. Now he sits at the top of the division. Asked if he’d like to face the winner of the co-main event, Dmitry Bivol, Alvarez said “I’m ready for the best in the world. I’m ready for the best in the division. I’ve been waiting for five years. I’m ready for anybody.”

Last edited by boxing_the_no1_sport on Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:05 am 
Heavyweight

Dmitry Bivol defended the WBA Lightweight title with a 12-round unanimous decision over Isaac Chilemba.

The fight started out with a fast pace with a number of exchanges in the first four rounds.  Bivol got the better with faster and harder shots.  Bivol then settled the fight down and used his boxing ability and timely power punching to win by scores of 120-108 twice and 116-112.

Last edited by boxing_the_no1_sport on Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:06 am 
Heavyweight

Bivol, 174.6 lbs of St. Petersburg, RUS is 14-0.  Chilemba, 175 lbs of Malawi is 25-6-2.

“Chilemba is a good fighter, and he had champion spirit tonight,” said Bivol. “He is a strong fighter. I want to fight more good fighters. I don’t know who my next opponent will be.

“We will see what will happen … I just want to fight the best fighters.”

Chilemba said, “I believe I won every round from the fifth. I pushed Bivol backwards and made him miss. I deserve a rematch.”