Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:03 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:59 pm 
Light Heavyweight

I agree that Loma has a good case to get the award. He's been a champ in 4 different divisions this decade. His most notable opponents were Rigondeaux and Walters. Both were unbeaten. Both were considered the best in the division. And he made both quit on their stools.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:23 pm 
Heavyweight

FearNoEvil wrote:
I agree that Loma has a good case to get the award. He's been a champ in 4 different divisions this decade. His most notable opponents were Rigondeaux and Walters. Both were unbeaten. Both were considered the best in the division. And he made both quit on their stools.

His win over Russell, Martinez and Linares are strong cases, too... He's yet to be a 4-division champion...

I think Canelo, Loma and Mikey are the candidates...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 am 
Light Heavyweight

Junorz wrote:
Ring Magazine Fighter of the Year, 2010-2018:

2010 – Argentina Sergio Martínez
2011 – United States Andre Ward
2012 – Mexico Juan Manuel Márquez
2013 – Canada Adonis Stevenson
2014 – Russia Sergey Kovalev
2015 – United Kingdom Tyson Fury
2016 – United Kingdom Carl Frampton
2017 – Ukraine Vasyl Lomachenko
2018 – Ukraine Oleksandr Usyk

Sorry folks, no Pacquiao this time, not by a long mile. I don't think Canelo will get it, He's never won Fighter of the Year once.
It would have been Andre Ward if had he not retired in 2017 but who knows, im not sure if retired fighters are still eligible.

I think it's a toss between Fury (if he wins later this year) or Lomachenko if he gets his 4th division title.

i thought bwaa is the one awarding fighter of the year and fighter of the decade award? i also thought donaire was the fighter if the year for 2012 not jmm? correct me if im wrong.

time

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 am 
Light Heavyweight

thedarkdragon11 wrote:
FearNoEvil wrote:

His win over Russell, Martinez and Linares are strong cases, too... He's yet to be a 4-division champion...

I think Canelo, Loma and Mikey are the candidates...

loma has the best chance. he fought the thoughest competitors even with a very young pro experience. his only loss to salido is a close and a questionable one.

time

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:42 am 
Heavyweight

mauragon wrote:
i thought bwaa is the one awarding fighter of the year and fighter of the decade award? i also thought donaire was the fighter if the year for 2012 not jmm? correct me if im wrong.

BWAA is the most prestigious, I believe... And yes, Donaire was the consensus FotY in 2012... The Ring awarding JMM their version of FotY that year was highly controversial, along with their new championship policy that year, they largely lose their reputation...

mauragon wrote:
loma has the best chance. he fought the thoughest competitors even with a very young pro experience. his only loss to salido is a close and a questionable one.

If only his WSB finish and amateur accolade (because he and Rigo are arguably the GOAT amateurs) can be included in his resume for FotD, he beats Canelo...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:54 pm 
Heavyweight

FearNoEvil wrote:
CANELO ALVAREZ

Fought 22 times (2010 - 2018)

Notable opponents:
Carlos Badomir (ko)
Alfonso Gomez (tko)
Kermit Cintron (tko)
Shane Mosley (ud)
Austin Trout (ud)
Floyd Mayweather (L)
Alfredo Angulo (tko)
Erislandy Lara (sd)
James Kirkland (ko)
Miguel Cotto (ud)
Amir Khan (ko)
Chavez Jr. (ud)
Gennady Golovkin (d, w)

Canelo has been busy this decade. He fought marquee opponents and the most notable is his recent win against Golovkin. His only lost is against Floyd, but who didn't?

Let's not forget that he was tested + for banned substance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:32 am 
Heavyweight

Thunder_knuckles wrote:
FearNoEvil wrote:
CANELO ALVAREZ

Fought 22 times (2010 - 2018)

Notable opponents:
Carlos Badomir (ko)
Alfonso Gomez (tko)
Kermit Cintron (tko)
Shane Mosley (ud)
Austin Trout (ud)
Floyd Mayweather (L)
Alfredo Angulo (tko)
Erislandy Lara (sd)
James Kirkland (ko)
Miguel Cotto (ud)
Amir Khan (ko)
Chavez Jr. (ud)
Gennady Golovkin (d, w)

Canelo has been busy this decade. He fought marquee opponents and the most notable is his recent win against Golovkin. His only lost is against Floyd, but who didn't?

Let's not forget that he was tested + for banned substance.

GBP's The Ring magazine will ignore that... They even ignored Donaire's VADA enrollment in favor of JMM's partership with Memo back in 2012... What more can they do with their favorite boy Canelo?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:19 pm 
Heavyweight

In the 80s, FotD is yet to be made but many experts would agree that SRL or Tyson were the best candidates... In the 90s, RJJ won... In the 2000s, Pacquiao won... What's common between the 4 of them? They made something spectacular or exceptional within the last 2-3 years of the decade...

The winner of 2010s FotD would be the most spectacular since 2017... Without the clenbuterol issue and if he KO Jacobs, he should've been the sure winner...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:17 am 
Middleweight

Loma or Canelo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:44 pm 
Heavyweight

FearNoEvil wrote:
FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR.

Fought 10 times (2010 - 2018)

Notable Opponents:
Shane Mosley (ud)
Victor Ortiz (ko)
Miguel Cotto (ud)
Robert Guerrero (ud)
Canelo Alvarez (ud)
Marcus Maidana (md, ud)
Manny Pacquoao (ud)
Andre Berto (ud)

Known as The Best Ever, Floyd never lost a fight. He fought big names of his era (eg pacquiao) and the generation after his (eg canelo). His inactivity this decade, wherein he only fought 10 time since 2010 might be a strong reason why he won't get the nod as the FOTD.

Inasmuch that we hate Floyd but I think he might get it.......
For the simple reason that he defeated (though unconvincingly to me) last decade's winner (Pacquiao) while also being runner-up to him that time.....
Added to that, he beat Canelo (too young or not doesn't matter) who's also a contender for Fighter of this Decade.......
It couldn't be Canelo. It's difficult being labelled as a cheater once (knowingly or unknowingly) and he lost to Floyd and could have lost the series to GGG based on perception.......
It couldn't be Loma, he has fewer fights (only a dozen for a decade?) and not the busiest fighter in between years and also has one loss in his short resume.....
Look, there has been no prominent boxer this decade (the fact that there has been different FOTY being selected every year) and no iconic status we should say to merit this once-in-a-lifetime Fighter of the Decade (look at the previous winners - Ali, Duran, SRR, SRL wow!).......
It's not far-fetched that Mayweather could get the nod even if his last few fights are a mockery of the sport......

I want Pacquiao to get it, too but just don't know how he could get it. He made a mistake in the Marquez fight losing by a brutal KO and allowed Arum to sideswipe his career with 2 further losses (the Bradley and Horn anomalies) while also giving too many concessions to Floyd in that dream fight that he could have just postpone it to heal his injured shoulder first.......

But if Pacquiao fights the top 2 welters this year and somehow win both, who knows........

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:49 pm 
Heavyweight

Duncan wrote:
FearNoEvil wrote:
FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR.

Fought 10 times (2010 - 2018)

Notable Opponents:
Shane Mosley (ud)
Victor Ortiz (ko)
Miguel Cotto (ud)
Robert Guerrero (ud)
Canelo Alvarez (ud)
Marcus Maidana (md, ud)
Manny Pacquoao (ud)
Andre Berto (ud)

Known as The Best Ever, Floyd never lost a fight. He fought big names of his era (eg pacquiao) and the generation after his (eg canelo). His inactivity this decade, wherein he only fought 10 time since 2010 might be a strong reason why he won't get the nod as the FOTD.

Inasmuch that we hate Floyd but I think he might get it.......
For the simple reason that he defeated (though unconvincingly to me) last decade's winner (Pacquiao) while also being runner-up to him that time.....
Added to that, he beat Canelo (too young or not doesn't matter) who's also a contender for Fighter of this Decade.......
It couldn't be Canelo. It's difficult being labelled as a cheater once (knowingly or unknowingly) and he lost to Floyd and could have lost the series to GGG based on perception.......
It couldn't be Loma, he has fewer fights (only a dozen for a decade?) and not the busiest fighter in between years and also has one loss in his short resume.....
Look, there has been no prominent boxer this decade (the fact that there has been different FOTY being selected every year) and no iconic status we should say to merit this once-in-a-lifetime Fighter of the Decade (look at the previous winners - Ali, Duran, SRR, SRL wow!).......
It's not far-fetched that Mayweather could get the nod even if his last few fights are a mockery of the sport......

I want Pacquiao to get it, too but just don't know how he could get it. He made a mistake in the Marquez fight losing by a brutal KO and allowed Arum to sideswipe his career with 2 further losses (the Bradley and Horn anomalies) while also giving too many concessions to Floyd in that dream fight that he could have just postpone it to heal his injured shoulder first.......

But if Pacquiao fights the top 2 welters this year and somehow win both, who knows........

Would be a very controversial move to make AXF the winner... For one, he didn't do that much this decade, only fought little by little until 2015... Second, he didn't fought the prime version of Pacquiao so that doesn't weigh much and he's the only opponent in his caliber or higher that he fought in this decade... Third, he fought McGregor, someone who is not a boxer so it pulls him away from the contention...

You mentioned Canelo... He was still a rising star when they fought, far from the prime version we know nowadays...

Pacquiao, like AXF, has a slim chance of winning... Even if he beat Thurman and Porter this year... He lost to Horn (doesn't matter if it's a robbery) so it pulls him away from the contention... His 2012 losses wouldn't weigh that much since he also defeated them this decade... Even without the Horn loss, his chance is still slim...

One quality of a FotD is fighting someone in his caliber or higher... Pacquiao and AXF happens to lack both this decade compared to the likes of Canelo, Loma and Mikey...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:44 pm 
Heavyweight

Let's clarify first if the thread refers to BWAA or The Ring Award.
Then, list the criteria for choosing Fighter of the Decade. If retired boxers, like Ward and Mayweather, are still qualified even if they'd missed 30% or 40% of the decade.

So if we're talking of BWAA, there's something quite strange about this.
I believe that the Fighter of the Decade should have previously won at least one Fighter of the Year within the decade. How could one be considered Fighter of the Decade when he wasn't considered outstanding in a year? That seems a logical argument. Here comes the rub. BWAA Fighter of the Decade award was first given in the 90s. Roy Jones, Jr. was the first winner. But, this is the big but, he never won Fighter of the Year in previous years. So that makes Canelo's chances quite huge if the "banned substance" has no bearing at all. Canelo has never won Fighter of the year.

If we're talking of consistency, i would go with The Ring Magazine. Past decade winners like Roy Jones, Jr and Pacquiao did win Fighter of the Year honors before that. Stars like Canelo, Golovkin have slim chances of winning.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:05 pm 
Heavyweight

Junorz wrote:
Let's clarify first if the thread refers to BWAA or The Ring Award.
Then, list the criteria for choosing Fighter of the Decade. If retired boxers, like Ward and Mayweather, are still qualified even if they'd missed 30% or 40% of the decade.

So if we're talking of BWAA, there's something quite strange about this.
I believe that the Fighter of the Decade should have previously won at least one Fighter of the Year within the decade. How could one be considered Fighter of the Decade when he wasn't considered outstanding in a year? That seems a logical argument. Here comes the rub. BWAA Fighter of the Decade award was first given in the 90s. Roy Jones, Jr. was the first winner. But, this is the big but, he never won Fighter of the Year in previous years. So that makes Canelo's chances quite huge if the "banned substance" has no bearing at all. Canelo has never won Fighter of the year.

If we're talking of consistency, i would go with The Ring Magazine. Past decade winners like Roy Jones, Jr and Pacquiao did win Fighter of the Year honors before that. Stars like Canelo, Golovkin have slim chances of winning.

BWAA is more prestigious when it comes to awards... The Ring became popular not because of it's awards but because it's a boxing magazine, their P4P rankings, the most prestigious rankings per weight class since early 1920s up to early 2000s and their version of "true" championships...

I believe that true results should be seen cumulatively, that is, for the FotD it should be as a whole decade and not because of year-by-year result basis...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:48 pm 
Light Heavyweight

if mickey garcia upset spence and beat either crawford, porter or thurman before the year ends hes a sure winner for both of the foty and fotd.

time