Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:22 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:11 pm 
Heavyweight

There was a time when Cinderella_Man would make interesting threads about Lineal titles...
Old posters and newbies alike would gladly participate just to share and learn a thing or two

Freewheeze would occasionally dabble on historically significant themes...
Old posters and newbies alike would gladly participate just to share and learn a thing or two

theDon used to make catchy but informative threads about boxing in general...

Tristan Cruz did a lot of things for Philippine boxing...
Old posters and newbies alike would gladly participate just to share and learn a thing or two.

I used to make a few...
Old posters and newbies alike would gladly participate just to share and learn a thing or two.

A lot more sensible thread starters i failed to mention had also their shining moments of creativity without relying on hot links.

It seems the quality of general boxing interest on this site is declining. We hardly see something worthwhile nowadays.
Does it reflect the current state of Pacland?
Beautiful songs are always there to compose and so does sensible threads that keep us all fascinated.

Nick Giongco, Brad Cooney, Dennis Guillermo, Ricardo Lois, Coyote Duran, Henry Hascup (the uncrowned king of sports trivia), Grayfist(whom i suspect was a part-time boxing writer) and many more incognito used to drop by regularly and we were witnessed to wonderful exchange of ideas. Where are they now?

One statement struck me a few weeks ago, coming from an American boxing fan living in the Philippines who used to be a Pacland regular...
Jbowyer said when an old pal greeted and asked him about his long absence..

"Hey thanks! I used to post more, but I finally gave up. I post more on other sites where members have a higher boxing IQ. It is a shame that Pac's popularity has not translated into a better appreciation of Filipino boxers and boxing in general."

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=173429&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Brad Cooney shares the same thoughts...

"I stopped coming here for one simple reason. There was way too much childish behavior. Insults, hateful comments, just a lot of garbage. Most of the other writers stopped coming in here as well because a lot of times when we would share boxing information, there would be nothing but hostile insults in return. Who needs that? Ive been called every fat insult known to man in Pacland, mostly by grown adults. Life's too short to have to deal with a situation that's not positive and not healthy. There are a lot of really good boxing fans that come to Pacland, but the group of haters in Pacland spoke loudly, and I for one got sick of dealing with it. I created http://www.8countnews.com about a year and a half ago, and keep busy with that. Pacland is a great forum, hopefully the mods clean up the few that make it not so nice."

And this coming from an ordinary poster just like us...
PACaddict...

"I used to post regularly. But when PAC’s popularity soared higher, so is the posts that lacked sense at all. Almost everybody's bashing everybody. name-calling or insulting ones intellect. Just doesn't make any sense anymore."

Well, we already had El Critico and Asong Kalye before for comedy relief.
Name calling, swearing, flaming, you name it, were already there but there were some good topics around to balance the situation.

With due respect to Visayanboy...the guy makes some attention-grabbing boxing topics but could anyone imagine him lording the front page before? Well, his replies are beside the point but i, for one, am guilty of going thru the motions.

In rare instances, we still see Emmanuel53 single-handedly lighting up the intelligent discussions. Or maybe we need some trigger like Wheeled_Warrior or Fuego to keep the ball rolling.

All these are reflections of what we used to be and what we are now.
There's just so many things to say...

For a start, how do we regain the sense of respectability we once have?
How, as Pacquiao fans, do we get rid of the unpleasant tag to our image as Pactards or Pacquiao Nuthuggers?

What is your suggestion towards a fresh start?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:44 am 
Heavyweight

There are a lot of clowns in pinoygreats now. Some of which have multiple handles.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:00 am 
Heavyweight

Nice thread and yeah I enjoy reading posts of the handles you mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:20 am 
Cruiserweight

Nice post, Helven. "a wake up call to all fans of boxing @ pinoygreats"

But maybe, one of the reasons why some of these sensible posters are gone/lurkers now is they are big time now or busy making $$. And they've become what they are now, partly because of pacland.

All I'm saying is, it is time for the new generation (pinoygreats) to step up and make pinoygreats worth everyone's time. Let's produce new good caliber of posters and bloggers and oh, "boxing experts"

My running list
1. thesubversive
2.norcal
3.visayanboy
4.harripotter (new)

:biglaugh:

____
Cowards hide behind anonymity
Live Responsibly!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:22 am 
Cruiserweight

helven wrote:
There was a time when Cinderella_Man would make interesting threads about Lineal titles...

Freewheeze would occasionally dabble on historically significant themes...

theDon used to make catchy but informative threads about boxing in general...

Tristan Cruz did a lot of things for Philippine boxing...

I used to make a few...

A lot more sensible thread starters i failed to mention had also their shining moments of creativity without relying on hot links.

It seems the quality of general boxing interest on this site is declining. We hardly see something worthwhile nowadays.
Does it reflect the current state of Pacland?
Beautiful songs are always there to compose and so does sensible threads that keep us all fascinated.

Nick Giongco, Brad Cooney, Dennis Guillermo, Ricardo Lois, Coyote Duran, Henry Hascup (the uncrowned king of sports trivia), Grayfist(whom i suspect was a part-time boxing writer) and many more incognito used to drop by regularly and we were witnessed to wonderful exchange of ideas. Where are they now?

One statement struck me a few weeks ago, coming from an American boxing fan living in the Philippines who used to be a Pacland regular...
Jbowyer said when an old pal greeted and asked him about his long absence..

"Hey thanks! I used to post more, but I finally gave up. I post more on other sites where members have a higher boxing IQ. It is a shame that Pac's popularity has not translated into a better appreciation of Filipino boxers and boxing in general."

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=173429&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Brad Cooney shares the same thoughts...

"I stopped coming here for one simple reason. There was way too much childish behavior. Insults, hateful comments, just a lot of garbage. Most of the other writers stopped coming in here as well because a lot of times when we would share boxing information, there would be nothing but hostile insults in return. Who needs that? Ive been called every fat insult known to man in Pacland, mostly by grown adults. Life's too short to have to deal with a situation that's not positive and not healthy. There are a lot of really good boxing fans that come to Pacland, but the group of haters in Pacland spoke loudly, and I for one got sick of dealing with it. I created http://www.8countnews.com about a year and a half ago, and keep busy with that. Pacland is a great forum, hopefully the mods clean up the few that make it not so nice."

And this coming from an ordinary poster just like us...
PACaddict...

"I used to post regularly. But when PAC’s popularity soared higher, so is the posts that lacked sense at all. Almost everybody's bashing everybody. name-calling or insulting ones intellect. Just doesn't make any sense anymore."

Well, we already had El Critico and Asong Kalye before for comedy relief.
Name calling, swearing, flaming, you name it, were already there but there were some good topics around to balance the situation.

With due respect to Visayanboy...the guy makes some attention-grabbing boxing topics but could anyone imagine him lording the front page before? Well, his replies are beside the point but i, for one, am guilty of going thru the motions.

In rare instances, we still see Emmanuel53 single-handedly lighting up the intelligent discussions. Or maybe we need some trigger like Wheeled_Warrior or Fuego to keep the ball rolling.

All these are reflections of what we used to be and what we are now.
There's just so many things to say...

For a start, how do we regain the sense of respectability we once have?
How, as Pacquiao fans, do we get rid of the unpleasant tag to our image as Pactards or Pacquiao Nuthuggers?

What is your suggestion towards a fresh start?

Helven where r you man, i'm bakc :lol: lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:25 am 
Cruiserweight

instead we're now into dark ages of pacland where haters now rule this forum :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:28 am 
Welterweight

if you'll notice, there are also minimal policing with regards to the function of mods.

but yes, this place was exciting during 2005 - 2006. it was its peak. but it was also the time when at least 2-3 handles are suspended or banned in a week.

this place is evolving.

the new posters somehow, some way, learns..

the mere existence is enough. business as usual.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:33 am 
Cruiserweight

Durant wrote:
instead we're now into dark ages of pacland where haters now rule this forum :(

Haters are fine. They are just another spice to make a yummy "tinola"

But I cant stand those naive, gullible members who's just after of their post counts than its content.

____
Live Responsibly!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:43 am 
Light Heavyweight

A good start is for mods to delete threads about illegal live streaming links particularly Pacquiao fights.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:52 am 
Heavyweight

There needs to be more MODS to police the site.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:00 am 
Cruiserweight

jhon515 wrote:
A good start is for mods to delete threads about illegal live streaming links particularly Pacquiao fights.

Leave that one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:16 am 
Heavyweight

I agree.

It could also be an eye opener to us that pinoy boxing fans has lesser pinoy boxers to discuss with. MP is nearing the end of his prime and there is not much filipino boxers to talk about.

OR, if you discuss upcoming boxers, they will just be labeled as BUMS hence the erosion of ideas and information about those boxers, which in any way, could erode also the boxer's confidence, and they will never visit this site.

Thing is, there is so much hate in this forum, or so many "intelligent being".

Let's bring back those good forum contributors by policing ourselves and not just leave it all to the MODS.
This is the only way the TS' call will be materialized.

-----------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:24 am 
Lightweight

totally agree on this thread.. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:56 am 
Light Heavyweight

UP......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:00 am 
Cruiserweight

Up :D

Calling all "the boxing experts"

____
Live Responsibly!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next