Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:32 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:36 am 
Heavyweight

Naia 1 ‘worst terminal’ no more, says MIAA chief
By Jerry E. Esplanada
Philippine Daily Inquirer 3:05 am | Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011 0shareNew 0

Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 1 in Pasay City

Stop calling Ninoy Aquino International Airport’s (Naia) Terminal 1 the “worst airport in the world.”

The appeal was made on Monday by Jose Angel Honrado, general manager of the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA), to the people behind “Guide to Sleeping in Airports,” even as he assailed the interactive website for the negative tag.

Naia 1’s ranking worsened from the website’s assessment in 2010 that it was the fifth-worst airport in the world and the worst in Asia.

In an interview, Honrado said “I don’t want to be fixated with the branding.”

“Talking about the supposedly worst airport in the world, they say some people voted. But who voted? And how many voted? What’s their methodology?” Honrado told the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

But, he asserted that “nevertheless, we took it as a challenge for us to do… we will do our best to improve our services to airline passengers.”

The MIAA boss urged the airport’s critics to “go to Terminal 1 and see for yourself the improvements there.”

“A lot of people have been complaining that our toilets stink, that there is no toilet paper. Why don’t they go there now? And when was the last time they were there?” Honrado said.

He said the MIAA “has been rehabilitating the airport since last year.”

“Even before the alleged survey results came out, we were already rehabilitating the facility,” he said.

According to Honrado, “retrofitting of the airport would start by the first quarter of 2012.”

“This would involve work aimed at making Terminal 1 comply with the Building Code of 2010,” he said.

He said that “retrofitting the facility will not take overnight. It will take some time. We expect to finish it in 12 to 18 months.”

Last week, President Benigno Aquino III gave the go-ahead to the P1.1-billion rehabilitation plan for Terminal 1.

At a Malacañang news conference, Transportation and Communications Secretary Manuel “Mar” Roxas II said the rehabilitation would see structural and aesthetic work done on the 30-year-old terminal.

Roxas said the services of the original architects of the airport—Leandro Locsin and Associates—would be commissioned since they had the original blueprints and designs.

The government also plans to hire the team behind one of the world’s best airports—Changi International in Singapore—to help with Naia 1’s rehabilitation.

According to Roxas, the bulk of the rehabilitation budget amounting to P500 million would go to aesthetics and the interior design of the terminal.

Retrofitting and structural upgrades will cost the government another P340 million.

It would also have to spend P300 million for rapid exit taxiways to “reduce the waiting time” of aircraft.

Add to that P20 million for improvements to the facility’s 72 toilets, as well as another P20 million for urinals and other amenities.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:37 am 
Heavyweight

at last, airport has been refurbished...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:39 am 
Heavyweight

post ka nga ng pics, DR.
para makita naman natin ang 'worst terminal no more'.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:52 am 
Heavyweight

i dont know if this is the new NAIA 1, but you can check the slide show from here: http://125.60.203.88/miaa/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=1&Itemid=47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:26 am 
Heavyweight

Thanks.
Malaking problema ng terminal 1 yung mababang ceiling nito.
Mahirap na yatang ma-renovate yan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:44 am 
Heavyweight

you can check this video, i am not sure if this is the new design to be started next year: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1567592365818

if this is the new design to be implemented by the PNoy government, it has been reported that the group behind Singapore's Chiangi airport will be lending their techinical expertise on the project.

Changi tapped to help NAIA
By MADEL R. SABATER and KRIS BAYOS
November 15, 2011, 7:57pm

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine government will be tapping the expertise of Singapore’s Changi Airport in upgrading Terminal 1 of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).

In a press briefing in Malacanang Tuesday, Department of Transportation and Communications (DoTC) Secretary Mar Roxas said the Philippines recognizes that Singapore’s Changi Airport is the leading airport in the world and the Philippines is honored to be tapping its technical expertise to further improve services at the NAIA Terminal 1.

Link: http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/341410/changi-tapped-help-naia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:09 am 
Heavyweight

eto ba?
wala akong access saFB ngayon e.

looks green!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:11 am 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:19 am 
Heavyweight

yes, that is the one. and i'm fortunate to have been to Chiangi airport but i am not really impressed with it. so i am still trying to grasp the extent of the technical expertise it can lend to the naia project. from the reports i read, i dont really know how yet. but i have not been to too many airports also. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:30 am 
Heavyweight

MANILA, Philippines - Internationally acclaimed Cebuano furniture designer Kenneth Cobonpue, furniture and interior designer Budji Layug and architect Royal Pineda have provided the design for the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 1 for free as part of government efforts to transform NAIA from “most hated” to “most loved” airport.

..On Facebook and Internet blogs, Cobonpue, when asked why he was doing the design for free, said: “If we don’t do anything, who will?”

Kudos to these guys.
Sana marami pang sumunod sa yapak ng mga ito.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:35 am 
Cruiserweight

Buti naman.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:01 am 
Featherweight

noble_neon20 wrote:
Buti naman.....

worst airport pa rin yan unless angel honrado resigns, he is a ***** and knows nothing on how to operate an airport terminal.. he cant even maintain a CR, what can you expect to the airport itself. he should resign.. :?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:47 am 
Heavyweight

boymcdo wrote:
noble_neon20 wrote:
Buti naman.....

worst airport pa rin yan unless angel honrado resigns, he is a ***** and knows nothing on how to operate an airport terminal.. he cant even maintain a CR, what can you expect to the airport itself. he should resign.. :?

Tama.
Dapat kasamang i-renovate yung corruption sa loob.
Ang kakapal ng mga mukha e.

Downside nito, malamang tataas ng husto ang terminal fee.
:(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:10 pm 
Heavyweight

Location: The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
don robert wrote:
at last, airport has been refurbished...

Too early to say, knowing how turtle like this adminstration moves. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:23 pm 
Heavyweight

kajo wrote:
MANILA, Philippines - Internationally acclaimed Cebuano furniture designer Kenneth Cobonpue, furniture and interior designer Budji Layug and architect Royal Pineda have provided the design for the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 1 for free as part of government efforts to transform NAIA from “most hated” to “most loved” airport.

..On Facebook and Internet blogs, Cobonpue, when asked why he was doing the design for free, said: “If we don’t do anything, who will?”

Kudos to these guys.
Sana marami pang sumunod sa yapak ng mga ito.

Hindi naman yata design nila Cobonpue ang gagamitin e. Leandro Locsin & Associates daw kasi sila original designer at sila daw may blue print ng original design. Actually, pwede naman sila humingin ng copy original na design nito kasi nabayaran na naman yung services nila locsin e. saka bakit wala na silang copy ng original na design? incompetence na naman. ano gagamitin nila pang maintenance? si madam auring?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

“I sympathize with those who would minimize economic entanglement between nations. Ideas, knowledge, art, hospitality, travel should of their nature be international. But let goods be homespun and finance be primarily national.”
-Keynes