Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:36 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:23 am 
Middleweight

guys, nawawala na nga si condes sa thailand, nawawala pa tyo sa toppick.. :gun2:

trans: ok resume :hammer:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:48 am 
Heavyweight

Jamaal Worthy wrote:
Folks,

Whether the TS is trying to be cute or has limited knowledge in English language, it's not amusing or entertaining to objective readers like me. One word could make a big difference if misspelled or used in a wrong tense. I've noticed a handful of Paclanders are confused/struggling in spelling or utilizing the appropriate tense to use on the word "lose".

In a nutshell, the term 'lose' (pronounced "loos") in boxing lingo means "defeat". This shouldn't be confused with the term 'loose' (ALSO pronounced "loos"), which connotes "free from anything that binds", (e.g. loose shoe laces). If TS were to keep the term 'Lost', he should have added 'had' to it or 'Condes "Little Pacquiao" Had Lost in Thailand'.

Another way of rewording the subject line is...,

Condes "The Little Pacquiao" Loses in Thailand

The first thing anyone would think on the TS's subject is this guy 'Condes' got lost somewhere in Thailand and couldn't be found.

...my two cents. Peace.

What's the difference between "had lost" and just the simple past "lost"?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:15 am 
Light Heavyweight

Jamaal Worthy wrote:
Folks,

Whether the TS is trying to be cute or has limited knowledge in English language, it's not amusing or entertaining to objective readers like me. One word could make a big difference if misspelled or used in a wrong tense. I've noticed a handful of Paclanders are confused/struggling in spelling or utilizing the appropriate tense to use on the word "lose".

In a nutshell, the term 'lose' (pronounced "loos") in boxing lingo means "defeat". This shouldn't be confused with the term 'loose' (ALSO pronounced "loos"), which connotes "free from anything that binds", (e.g. loose shoe laces). If TS were to keep the term 'Lost', he should have added 'had' to it or 'Condes "Little Pacquiao" Had Lost in Thailand'.

The first thing anyone would think on the TS's subject is this guy 'Condes' got lost somewhere in Thailand and couldn't be found.

...my two cents. Peace.

Too many grammarians here.
By the way, LOSE is not pronounced as LOOS (this is the pronunciation of LOOSE which is an adjective), but LOOZ. And it does not mean "defeat", but "be defeated (by) ".

Success is measured not by what you have achieved,
but by the degree of satisfaction you derive from it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:41 am 
Cruiserweight

hehehehe...

maka-comment lng.. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:43 am 
Welterweight

pan_ni_pakyaw wrote:
Jamaal Worthy wrote:
Folks,

...my two cents. Peace.

What's the difference between "had lost" and just the simple past "lost"?

In my opinion on this, nothing really. it's acceptable without it. I can't think of any english grammar rule violation without the "had".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:54 am 
Heavyweight

kidding aside, I think, if the TS replaced "Thailand" to a word "Game", the title will be okay.

Condes " The Little Pacquiao" lost the game. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:59 am 
Light Heavyweight

Phracker wrote:
jasperjack1968 wrote:
Jamaal Worthy wrote:
Folks,

...my two cents. Peace.

agree. Had is past tense or past participle of have which suggests possession therefore had lost not had lossed. :D

Annunciation and Pronunciation:

Lose = looz (You Lose, I win )
Loser = loozer (What a Loser Marquez is)
Losing = loozing (Nonito is losing faith with Bob Arum)
Lost = lȯst (I lost my keys and can't find them)
Loss = lôs (Mayweather has not a loss on his record)
Loose = loos (with a long bar above both o's) (My belt is loose and my pants are falling down)
Looser = looser (My pants are looser since losing weight)
lossed = lôssed (No such word because Loss is a noun, not an adjective or verb)
losses = lôsses (Mayweather has zero losses)
Looses = looses (with a long bar above the o's) (If Pacquiao looses to Marquez on Nov. 12, then I will cut my balls off!)

All of the above in English sentence use:

Although Mayweather has 0 losses, many think that he is a lost cause for boxing since he keeps bringing up that he is not a loser like Manny Pacquiao who has a loss to the likes equal or lesser to Eric Morales, but such thinking is very loose-ended and maybe an excuse to duck Pacquiao; hence, many boxing aficionados believe that this excuse from Mayweather is getting looser and looser as time goes by because Manny Pacquiao [b]has accommodate[/b] all or most of Floyd Mayweather Jr's demands in order for the fight [b]to materialized[/b] and for the public to not lose faith on the fight not happening, and as a result, in the public eye, Floyd Mayweather Jr. is losing his stance on the demands of OSTD testing which really is a smoke and mirror of trying to clean up the sport of boxing giving way to the idea that Mayweather [b]looses t[/b]o Manny Pacquiao if they ever meet in the future.

ACCOMMODATE should have a D at the end because it is a participle and is in the present perfect tense (has accommodated). MATERIALIZEd should have no D at the end because it is infinitive form (to materialize). Maywather LOSES (not LOOSES) to ...
It seems you are lost too, Bro.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:02 am 
Welterweight

hahaha... i thought you get the point....
hahaha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:16 am 
Light Heavyweight

This is a good example when someone tries to correct the mistakes of others. He gets corrected as well.

Why not ignore the clerical and grammatical errors and just stick to the topic?
But I agree that the topic was vague. I also thought at first that Condes lost his way in Thailand. But I was able to get the actual meaning later on from the context, so no big deal. We are not perfect. Spare the TS.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:32 am 
Middleweight

Loose = loos (with a long bar above both o's) (My belt is loose and my pants are falling down)
Looses = looses (with a long bar above the o's) (If Pacquiao looses to Marquez on Nov. 12, then I will cut my balls off!)

Although Mayweather has 0 losses, many think that he is a lost cause for boxing since he keeps bringing up that he is not a loser like Manny Pacquiao who has a loss to the likes equal or lesser to Eric Morales, but such thinking is very loose-ended and maybe an excuse to duck Pacquiao; hence, many boxing aficionados believe that this excuse from Mayweather is getting looser and looser as time goes by because Manny Pacquiao [b]has accommodate[/b] all or most of Floyd Mayweather Jr's demands in order for the fight [b]to materialized[/b] and for the public to not lose faith on the fight not happening, and as a result, in the public eye, Floyd Mayweather Jr. is losing his stance on the demands of OSTD testing which really is a smoke and mirror of trying to clean up the sport of boxing giving way to the idea that Mayweather [b]looses t[/b]o Manny Pacquiao if they ever meet in the future.[/quote]

ACCOMMODATE should have a D at the end because it is a participle and is in the present perfect tense (has accommodated). MATERIALIZEd should have no D at the end because it is infinitive form (to materialize). Maywather LOSES (not LOOSES) to ...
It seems you are lost too, Bro.[/quote]

AHAHAAHA..."loses" i have corrected already and reposted, but you are correct on accomodate and materialize...but I was trying to concentrate on the words underlined. Thanks! I stand corrected for the words that I was not emphasizing.

Been there, Done that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:40 am 
Welterweight

Phracker wrote:

Although Mayweather has 0 losses, many think that he is a lost cause for boxing since he keeps bringing up that he is not a loser like Manny Pacquiao who has a loss to the likes equal or lesser to Eric Morales, but such thinking is very loose-ended and maybe an excuse to duck Pacquiao; hence, many boxing aficionados believe that this excuse from Mayweather is getting looser and looser as time goes by because Manny Pacquiao [b]has accommodate[/b] all or most of Floyd Mayweather Jr's demands in order for the fight [b]to materialized[/b] and for the public to not lose faith on the fight not happening, and as a result, in the public eye, Floyd Mayweather Jr. is losing his stance on the demands of OSTD testing which really is a smoke and mirror of trying to clean up the sport of boxing giving way to the idea that Mayweather [b]looses t[/b]o Manny Pacquiao if they ever meet in the future.

It seems you are lost too, Bro.[/quote]

AHAHAAHA..."loses" i have corrected already and reposted, but you are correct on accomodate and materialize...but I was trying to concentrate on the words underlined. Thanks! I stand corrected for the words that I was not emphasizing.[/quote]

Unfortunate me! I just knew one meaning for the word "LOOSE" and it's a diarrhea (LBM!) wahaha!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:43 am 
Heavyweight

jezZzka wrote:

Image <<<luslos. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:46 am 
Heavyweight

Many failed to get the joke of zander. I think he intentionally misspelled his word also para magpatawa lang or to emphasize about the misspelling error. Gaya ng mga ibang sumunod sa kanya karamihan nagkunwaring mali ang spelling nila. So, he is just like everyone else na nagkunwaring mali ang spelling nila para magpatawa lang.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:49 am 
Heavyweight

KaPUSA wrote:
Many failed to get the joke of zander. I think he intentionally misspelled his word also para magpatawa lang or to emphasize about the misspelling error. Gaya ng mga ibang sumunod sa kanya karamihan nagkunwaring mali ang spelling nila. So, he is just like everyone else na nagkunwaring mali ang spelling nila para magpatawa lang.

Uu nga, baka nakalimutan lang nya ang emoticon.. :?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:51 am 
Cruiserweight

ImABum wrote:
jezZzka wrote:

Image <<<luslos. :lol:

Conde was hit below the belt that's why he now has a luslos?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next