Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:18 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:17 am 
Lightweight

bumblebaytuna wrote:
My take on this is that some Pinoys doesn't like his swagger. Also, Nonito's beef with his dad and Brian Viloria has caused animosity from fans.

I'm not the kind of boxing fan who meddles with the boxer's personal business. I appreciate an outstanding talent like Nonito Donaire and would love to see him fight again.

Precisely!!!!!

If you hate a fighter because of what he does outside the ring or because of some petty things regarding his personal life, then please do all of us fight fans a favor: GO WATCH BOY ABUNDA OR KRIS AQUINO. An athlete's personal life if none of our business.

As long as he is not stepping on anybody's toes or infringing on your human rights, then let's just enjoy his skills as a fighter and stop acting like CRABS.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:18 am 
Light Heavyweight

I'm a fan of Nonito

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:27 am 
Heavyweight

I'm just wondering, what if Pacquiao lost many of his fights in the past and never even came close to what he has achieved now? and Nonito doing the winning streak since his first loss?

Will the haters be willing to accept Nonito as their own, despite simply being himself? :?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:36 am 
Heavyweight

[quote="diehard fan"]so who's hatin :shock: pila la 8)

1. I'm hatin' those who hate Donaire. :evil:

who love nonito

1 diehard fan
2 Bolo_Punch ( i love him as a boxer and not from a masquerading GF ) :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:42 am 
Heavyweight

I don't know man. I think a lot of people are still hating on him cuz he says he had marquez winning by a point vs pacman in the rematch. :lol:

anyways i enjoyed the fight last night and i was very lucky that i had a chance to meet and take pictures with him in dallas. He talk to us for a lil bit and he seems like a nice guy. Great boxer i love the way he fights.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:42 am 
Welterweight

jakesnake500 wrote:
You have to give JMM 8 rounds to win over Pac, that will be stretching it.
You can't give excuses about headbutts slowing down JMM because it can affect both fighters....most observers give them 6 rounds each and with a KD on 3rd by Pac to JMM, that gives him a point advantage over...that's without bias.

Dude, check your math again... a 7 vs 5 round scoring after 12 rounds without knock-downs is 115-113. Because of the 10-8 score in the 3rd round, the 114-113 is correct. Those 7 rounds won is enough for Marquez to win that fight. If you're still confused try computing it this way:
Marquez score = (10 x 7) + (9 x 4) + 8
= 70 + 36 + 8
= 114
Pacquiao score = (10 x 5) + (9 x 7)
= 50 + 63
= 113

When I watched the replay, I heard the British commentators had the score at 104-104 after the end of round 11... the same way I scored it at that point. In other words, they gave Marquez 6 rounds already while 5 for Pacquiao after 11 rounds. That's the fact.

Last edited by iron_mike_tarzan on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:46 am 
Cruiserweight

namme wrote:
I'm just wondering, what if Pacquiao lost many of his fights in the past and never even came close to what he has achieved now? and Nonito doing the winning streak since his first loss?

Will the haters be willing to accept Nonito as their own, despite simply being himself? :?

I think it depends bro... have you ever heared of the singer/celebrity named "Mutya", I think she belongs in a girl group or something, some people said that her mother is Filipina, but when she was asked about her roots on MTV or Channel V if I'm not mistaken, she declined being Filipina and did not acknowledge her Filipino roots... hence the Filipino people are not that too keen on her also, because she did not acknowledge her Filipino roots, even though her name suggests that she is Filipina or maybe half.

Another example is Vanessa Hudgens, yes she acknowledged that her mother is Filipina and she even said that "I eat rice everyday, so maybe I'm Asian" in one TV interview, but Pinoys don't see her too excited about it, hence Pinoys don't really connect to her the same way they connect with Charice Pempengco.

Yes, they would probably be popular in some way, but not as Manny Pacquiao big or Efren Reyes big, popular yes but not Mega/huge as Pacquiao or Reyes... you have to connect with the people first before you have their following, and this goes to other people in different ethnic background, Ali was able to connect with his fans through the Vietnam issue and civil liberties among black people, Julio Cesar Chavez was able to connect with the Mexican people hence he is called the great Mexican champion... I think the same goes with Nonito, if there was no Manny and Nonito was winning in every fights, it doesn't translate to Nonito being big automaticaly among Filipinos here in the Philippines, it still depends on how he connects with the Filipino people, on how he carries himself inside and outside the ring.

Manny Pacquiao is big or huge and loved by his Filipino fans (in the Philippines, including Pinoy OFW's), because he is perceived as a "son" or "one of us", aside from his amazing skills in the ring.

Last edited by Juramentado on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:54 am 
Lightweight

iron_mike_tarzan wrote:
jakesnake500 wrote:
You have to give JMM 8 rounds to win over Pac, that will be stretching it.
You can't give excuses about headbutts slowing down JMM because it can affect both fighters....most observers give them 6 rounds each and with a KD on 3rd by Pac to JMM, that gives him a point advantage over...that's without bias.

Dude, check your math again... a 7 vs 5 round scoring after 12 rounds without knock-downs is 115-113. Because of the 10-8 score in the 3rd round, the 114-113 is correct. Those 7 rounds won is enough for Marquez to win that fight. If you're still confused try computing it this way:
Marquez score = (10 x 7) + (9 x 4) + 8
= 70 + 36 + 8
= 114
Pacquiao score = (10 x 5) + (9 x 7)
= 50 + 63
= 113

When I watched the replay, I heard the British commentators had the score at 104-104 after the end of round 11... the same way I scored it at that point. In other words, they gave Marquez 6 rounds already while 5 for Pacquiao after 11 rounds. That's the fact.

I'm sorry, i based it on per rounds won minus 1 from the kd. But still assuming JMM won 7 rounds instead of 6 rounds for each then Pac won by 114-113.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:00 pm 
Lightweight

iron_mike_tarzan wrote:

I didn't know you'll add/edit your post...Speaking of facts, it maybe a fact from that British commentator you heard, but the real "fact" is that Pac won through the official judges scoring card.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:06 pm 
Cruiserweight

Location: Bishan Park,katung naa ga cricket (waaa!), Singapore
namme wrote:

Then I believe, the fight of ND vs VD would not have had happened.
Although indirectly, Pac opened doors for pinoy boxers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:13 pm 
Light Heavyweight

jakesnake500 wrote:
Juramentado wrote:
nesbej_8 wrote:
ok lang yan ganun talaga tayong mga pinoy di tayo nakukuntento

Slightly agree lang ako dito bro nesbej_8,

Filipinos can recognize greatness naman bro nesbej_8, pero it takes "real greatness" to be acknowledge by the Filipino people... here are a few examples:

1. When Jose Rizal died for our equality and liberty, everybody's patriotism was awakened and Pilipinos acknowledge Rizal's greatness, great mind... his exploits kept the fire of patriotism burning in our people to continue support the Katipunan.

2. When Ninoy Aquino died for the sake of restoring Philippines democracy, his martyrdom was acknowledged by the Filipino people... and he's courage and intelligence is still highly regarded by modern day Pilipinos.

3. When Manny Pacquiao fights, everything here stops, crime rate drops to zero in the whole Philippine archipelago, long time warring factions agree on a ceasefire, traffic is gone in the busy streets of the Philippines, etc... Pilipinos acknowledge Manny's accomplishments inside and outside the ring, being a good ambassador for the Filipino people to the rest of the world.

My point: you are right... that Pilipinos are mostly hard to convince of greatness, as you said "hindi nakukuntento", hindi tayo nakukumbinse basta basta; I also agree na "okay lang yun".
but when the Pilipino people see "real greatness"... our people know how to acknowledge or react to greatness when we see one.

Yup, so true.
The Filipinos know how to seperate the boys from real men so to speak. :)

Could this be the reason we're not seeing Lusob around? :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:23 pm 
Cruiserweight

Lupisak wrote:
Donaire is a good pinoy boxer, but he should learn how to shut his mouth when needed.

He aired his opinion that Marquez won the rematch. I think because his fighting style is quite similar to Marquez, and somehow promoting himself in between what he was saying.

Pacman fans will never forget that.

ND is a very good powerful boxer but sucks as a boxing judge :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:39 pm 
Middleweight

Juramentado wrote:
R32NicoboyGT-R wrote:
Nonito's english accent doesn't even sound 'whitewashed'. He has a slight pinoy accent and is bilingual. All those mestiso tagalog artistas you all look up to are more whitewashed than him with their soap whiteners, etc..

and he should NOT "copy" Pacquiao in the way he speaks, wtf? He is his own person. Why copy someone else?? Let him speak the way he speaks. He speaks english in Pinoy TV because he's not that fluent in tagalog, though he tries. he is BISAYA and he is very fluent in that dialect.

Dude... no body here said about Nonitos accent being "whitewashed". :roll: no body here wants Nonito to immitate Pacquiaos accent either. :roll:

So keep your cool.

a poster above me said he was whitewashed, and a poster in page 2 said he wants him to copy Pacquiao :roll:

i just didn't want to quote everyone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:52 pm 
Heavyweight

Lupisak wrote:
Donaire is a good pinoy boxer, but he should learn how to shut his mouth when needed.

He aired his opinion that Marquez won the rematch. I think because his fighting style is quite similar to Marquez, and somehow promoting himself in between what he was saying.

Pacman fans will never forget that.

actually, nonito is not alone with that opinion. he said it as he saw it. i personally thought that manny would be lucky to salvage a draw in that fight. anyway, manny won so i'll take that too.
:lol: :lol: :lol: cge banatan niyo na.

“I sympathize with those who would minimize economic entanglement between nations. Ideas, knowledge, art, hospitality, travel should of their nature be international. But let goods be homespun and finance be primarily national.”
-Keynes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 pm 
Welterweight

@R32NicoboyGT-R

we are just saying Nonito cant be easily accepted with the way he is,unless he changed a bit showing he is fullblooded filipino...
and for starters, he can try to speak more our filipino language, specially Tagalog or Visayan if he is on PHILIPPINE TV,if he is on america,everybody understands that,but in Philippine TV it should be different..You can also find how the mestizo actors who grow-up from other countries try hard to learn the local language to be more accepted by the audience,almost same.
the skills of Donaire is very evident ,and we love that,,just we dont love his way of speaking,only u those so-called fil-americans love it that way...
We in the Philippines also use English much of the time too,specially for business purposes,but in FILIPINO BOXING where auidiences are mostly the lower class masses its definitely not used...this kind of interviews only annoys us

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next