Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:38 am 
Welterweight

Donaire has that fire in him, that hunger that Pacquiao once had.

That bad left hook that Donaire has reminds us of Pacquiao's vicious left cross.

Donaire is also following in the footsteps of his Kuya Manny.

Going up in weight classes defeating the strongest opposition.

One thing they don't have in common is the Filipino fan base.

The traditional Filipino's from the Philippines do not support Nonitos "cocky and arrogant" ways.

This is because Nonito is a Fil-Am (Filipino American) and in America we do things differently.

You are respected if you stand up for yourself and noticed if you show it off.

These values are loved here and get people to buy tickets and buy PPV.

So why not support him? Hes Filipino just like you and I but just not from the Philippines.

Should he be punished for this? Or should every Filipino just be like Manny Pacquiao, humble and boring.

Donaire's cockiness is a great change for us Filipinos. It portrays us in a different but positive light.

No longer are we the "Polite" Asian boy who is humble on the street but knows Kung Fu when you push him.

We are normal MEN not just another fobby asian guy.

Embrace the future even though change is difficult. Change is coming and there is always the few who have a hard time getting used to it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:43 am 
Light Heavyweight

geno2k3 wrote:

That bad left hook that Donaire has reminds us of Pacquiao's vicious left cross.

The traditional Filipino's from the Philippines do not support Nonitos "cocky and arrogant" ways.

This is because Nonito is a Fil-Am (Filipino American) and in America we do things differently.

So why not support him? Hes Filipino just like you and I but just not from the Philippines.

Should he be punished for this? Or should every Filipino just be like Manny Pacquiao, humble and boring.

Donaire's cockiness is a great change for us Filipinos. It portrays us in a different but positive light.

No longer are we the "Polite" Asian boy who is humble on the street but knows Kung Fu when you push him.

Embrace the future even though change is difficult. Change is coming and there is always the few who have a hard time getting used to it.

Look at the humble ALA fighters. A lot of Filipinos call them bums even when they win. Look at those ppl who call others bums and criticize Nonito, are they humble?

People just need to appreciate more and quit hating too much.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:49 am 
Heavyweight

Filipinos have to realize that suppression of expression is not necessarily humility, but just that - suppression. Arrogance is not a good thing, but suppression is not necessarily better. Mayabang sa loob, but suppressed, is just false humility.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:52 am 
Heavyweight

geno2k3 wrote:

I kinda agree with you TS.

Gone are those days when Pinoys are synonymous of mara-clara type of persona and passive-non-assertive attitude.

these are a new breed, a new species of Pinoys. :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:54 am 
Heavyweight

Sargo wrote:
Filipinos have to realize that suppression of expression is not necessarily humility, but just that - suppression. Arrogance is not a good thing, but suppression is not necessarily better. Mayabang sa loob, but suppressed, is just false humility.

they say that Silence is a sign of hidden arrogance and thus humility is just a form of defence mechanism.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:58 am 
Middleweight

Donaire is arrogant as a boxer, not as a person!!! big difference IMHO. Outside the ring he is very friendly and humble to his fans. When he train and get ready to fight, he transform into a confident, cocky boxer.

but in general i agree to the TS main points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:01 am 
Heavyweight

soyamilk wrote:
Sargo wrote:

they say that Silence is a sign of hidden arrogance and thus humility is just a form of defence mechanism.

and if I may add, sometimes humility is a sign of inept and illiteracy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:08 am 
Heavyweight

soyamilk wrote:
soyamilk wrote:
Sargo wrote:

Correct. Don't be arrogant, control your emotions and wants. But no need to stop expressing yourself as long as done with good judgment.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:13 am 
Lightweight

Nonito he's not arrogant,as Former Pres.Ramos said,we, we're not born yesterday.We must admit Nonito lives in USA so there are some concepts not really acceptable to our Filipino brothers compare in our native culture.Let it be him.I like Nonito the way he is.Anyway Donaire us the heir of the throne,the next in line.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:14 am 
Heavyweight

soyamilk wrote:
soyamilk wrote:
Sargo wrote:

Sargo wrote:
Correct. Don't be arrogant, control your emotions and wants. But no need to stop expressing yourself as long as done with good judgment.

I learned this during training and seminars. Even being so silent and passive are never a sign of Inferiority complex, but in fact, may be a grave sign of superiority complexes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:05 am 
Cruiserweight

geno2k3 wrote:

Even hardened crimonals love their parents, eh NOnito hindi, ewan. But i agree he's greater than Martinez for me at the rankings.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:40 am 
Heavyweight

geno2k3 wrote:

posting.php?mode=smilies&f=63 :

You Fil-Ams can't even admit that Manny Pacquiao made you existent and visible their in the US of A, Yet you have the gal to call Manny BORING.

To us Filipinos, the way you talk, yes you, is so Gay. People don't push people unless, they are impolite or disrespectful. And you want us to be no longer polite so as not to be pushed anymore? You're doing it the other way around. Thats crazy. And you talking stuff like Kung fu... In the Philippines if you show off and your Cocky, You're DEAD. :guillotine: :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:15 am 
Cruiserweight

I find Nonito entertaining, both inside and outside the ring. I liked his facebook page, and if I have twitter, I will follow him too. I like to read his status updates in facebook, where twits also appears. Here's the latest to show how interesting to read them:

15 hours ago
Quote:
Just landed in Vegas. San Antonio security told me that they hd to
call supervisors to clear Vazquez through bc he ws unrecognizable from the
swelling. #prayers

13 hours later
Quote:
Here u go @wv2. Just discolored but jabs aint gna mk security nt
recognize me

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 1474_n.jpg

It looks like WV2 reacted to Nonito's earlier tweet. :lol:

Weight will be an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:11 am 
Middleweight

Am sure am glad am not a Fil-Am. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:20 am 
Heavyweight

Fil-ams never understood why many don't like the American flash. It's not about being cocky or arrogant in and outside the ring, it's about his being disrespectful to his parents. Isn't that obvious? One thing, whose to blame? It's Nonit's itself, he is the one who brought this up in the media in the first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next