Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:24 am 
Heavyweight

It might sound strange, but no, Manny Pacquiao was not the best fighter from the Philippines in 2012. That honor goes to "The Filipino Flash," junior featherweight titlist Nonito Donaire, who had a year for the ages.

Donaire (31-1, 20 KOs) began the year having vacated his bantamweight belts and preparing to move up to junior featherweight. Four fights later, in an exceptionally busy year by modern standards for an elite champion, the quick-fisted and powerful Donaire stands atop the 122-pound division and was the easy pick for 2012 ESPN.com Boxer of the Year.

Donaire, 30, easily handled the move up in weight, winning all four of his fights in dominant fashion. He dropped each of his foes -- scoring seven knockdowns in all -- won twice by knockout and collected two world titles. Add to that his trailblazing approach to drug testing: He is the only fighter in the world who has signed on with the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association for random urine and blood testing 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. This in an era when every great performance unfortunately comes under the suspicion of possible performance-enhancing drug use -- except, of course, Donaire's.

His attitude is refreshing.

"I don't mind it. I think it's a good for the sport and I am going to do it," Donaire said. "It's a good idea. I have nothing to hide. I would love for all fighters to follow me, but not everybody is like me."

In February, Donaire moved up in weight to face former titleholder Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. of Puerto Rico. He dropped Vazquez in the ninth round and rolled to a decision to win a vacant title.

In July, Donaire faced South Africa's Jeffrey Mathebula and dropped him in the fourth round, broke his jaw and won a lopsided decision to unify two belts.

Donaire vacated one of the titles but returned in October to face well-respected former titleholder Toshiaki Nishioka of Japan, who didn't have a title only because he had relinquished it. Donaire scored knockdowns in the sixth and ninth rounds en route to a lopsided ninth-round knockout.

And then, given the opportunity for a rare fourth fight in a year, Donaire, despite a bad left hand that had given him problems all year, squared off with former titlist Jorge Arce of Mexico. The result was Donaire's best showing of 2012: He dropped Arce in the second round, then twice more in the third, including landing a pulverizing left hook to the chin that knocked the challenger out cold.

It was the exclamation point on a year in which Donaire seized the mantle from Pacquiao, his idol, as the Philippines' best boxer and continued to assert himself as one of the best fighters in the world, period.

And you know what's scary?

After drilling Arce, Donaire said, "I believe I am still getting better."

Rafael's boxers of the year
2012: Nonito Donaire
2011: Andre Ward
2010: Sergio Martinez
2009: Manny Pacquiao
2008: Manny Pacquiao
2007: Floyd Mayweather Jr.
2006: Manny Pacquiao
2005: Ricky Hatton
2004: Glen Johnson
2003: James Toney
2002: Vernon Forrest
2001: Bernard Hopkins
2000: Felix Trinidad

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/87 ... to-donaire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:42 am 
Light Heavyweight

theDon wrote:
It might sound strange, but no, Manny Pacquiao was not the best fighter from the Philippines in 2012. That honor goes to "The Filipino Flash," junior featherweight titlist Nonito Donaire, who had a year for the ages.

Donaire (31-1, 20 KOs) began the year having vacated his bantamweight belts and preparing to move up to junior featherweight. Four fights later, in an exceptionally busy year by modern standards for an elite champion, the quick-fisted and powerful Donaire stands atop the 122-pound division and was the easy pick for 2012 ESPN.com Boxer of the Year.

Donaire, 30, easily handled the move up in weight, winning all four of his fights in dominant fashion. He dropped each of his foes -- scoring seven knockdowns in all -- won twice by knockout and collected two world titles. Add to that his trailblazing approach to drug testing: He is the only fighter in the world who has signed on with the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association for random urine and blood testing 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. This in an era when every great performance unfortunately comes under the suspicion of possible performance-enhancing drug use -- except, of course, Donaire's.

"I don't mind it. I think it's a good for the sport and I am going to do it," Donaire said. "It's a good idea. I have nothing to hide. I would love for all fighters to follow me, but not everybody is like me."

In February, Donaire moved up in weight to face former titleholder Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. of Puerto Rico. He dropped Vazquez in the ninth round and rolled to a decision to win a vacant title.

In July, Donaire faced South Africa's Jeffrey Mathebula and dropped him in the fourth round, broke his jaw and won a lopsided decision to unify two belts.

Donaire vacated one of the titles but returned in October to face well-respected former titleholder Toshiaki Nishioka of Japan, who didn't have a title only because he had relinquished it. Donaire scored knockdowns in the sixth and ninth rounds en route to a lopsided ninth-round knockout.

And then, given the opportunity for a rare fourth fight in a year, Donaire, despite a bad left hand that had given him problems all year, squared off with former titlist Jorge Arce of Mexico. The result was Donaire's best showing of 2012: He dropped Arce in the second round, then twice more in the third, including landing a pulverizing left hook to the chin that knocked the challenger out cold.

It was the exclamation point on a year in which Donaire seized the mantle from Pacquiao, his idol, as the Philippines' best boxer and continued to assert himself as one of the best fighters in the world, period.

Like!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:48 am 
Light Heavyweight

Harold wrote:
theDon wrote:

Like!

The only thing I like about it is that Manny Pacquiao was the fighter of the year 3 TIMES! While Floyd only once...=p

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:48 am 
Cruiserweight

absolutely amigo!
2012 is really a great year for Donaire! :)
hopes he'll maintain it.

"If one day speed kills me, don't cry, because I was smiling."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:49 am 
Light Heavyweight

Harold wrote:
theDon wrote:

Like!

Kaya kumakanta na rin kasi sumusunod ky pac :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:33 am 
Light Heavyweight

theDon wrote:

On the above list, Who were the BWAA FOY?

time

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:48 am 
Heavyweight

mauragon wrote:

Boxing Writers Association of America's Fighters of the Year:

2000 – Félix Trinidad
2001 – Bernard Hopkins
2002 – Vernon Forrest
2003 – James Toney (2)
2004 – Glen Johnson
2005 – Ricky Hatton
2006 – Manny Pacquiao
2007 – Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
2008 – Manny Pacquiao (2)
2009 – Manny Pacquiao (3)
2010 – Sergio Martínez
2011 – Andre Ward

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:58 am 
Light Heavyweight

theDon wrote:
mauragon wrote:

Boxing Writers Association of America's Fighters of the Year:

2000 – Félix Trinidad
2001 – Bernard Hopkins
2002 – Vernon Forrest
2003 – James Toney (2)
2004 – Glen Johnson
2005 – Ricky Hatton
2006 – Manny Pacquiao
2007 – Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
2008 – Manny Pacquiao (2)
2009 – Manny Pacquiao (3)
2010 – Sergio Martínez
2011 – Andre Ward

thanks folk. ESPN BOY is BWAA FOY. They got it all the time.

time

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:12 pm 
Heavyweight

Location: The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Yes, 2012 is the year of Donaire.

Congratulations!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:30 pm 
Cruiserweight

THIS IS VERY GOOD IN BOXING. At least DOnaire has his legitimate manager compared to pacman who always says ask my boss or bosses.

AND, Donaire is the SOLE BOXER now who surrender and take drug test clean system and not control sheyt by someone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:34 pm 
Heavyweight

the Ring Magazine and BWAA'S Fighter of the Year for 2012 goes to...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:18 pm 
Cruiserweight

Barabarabay wrote:

Donaire deserves it...that's for sure!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:22 pm 
Light Heavyweight

CPK-MB wrote:
Barabarabay wrote:

Dapat sya manalo para ganahan sya sa 2013 :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:23 pm 
Cruiserweight

arch3d wrote:
CPK-MB wrote:
Barabarabay wrote:

Dapat sya manalo para ganahan sya sa 2013 :D

But don't be a "jack of all trades, master of none" like PAC.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:26 pm 
Light Heavyweight

But don't be a "jack of all trades, master of none" like PAC.[/quote]

Yup, and mas matalino si donaire sa buhay, and malayo sya sa mga distractions kasi sa L.A. sya nakatira....