Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:01 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:47 pm 
Middleweight

Donaire looking to revive career vs Hernandez
http://www.philstar.com:8080/sports/201 ... -hernandez
by Dino Maragay

MANILA, Philippines – Former four-division world champion Nonito Donaire Jr. is raring to prove that he still has a lot left in the tank as he shoots for a comeback victory against Mexican Ruben Hernandez at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas on Saturday (Sunday Manila time).

The 34-year-old Donaire will take on Hernandez in a 12-round featherweight bout, marking the Filipino-American’s return to the 126-pound division.

“I’m ready to return to the ring and show that I still have what it takes to be a world champion and face the best in this sport,” said Donaire (37-4, with 24 KOs), who is coming off a 10-month layoff.

The San Leandro, California-based boxer is confident of a victory over Hernandez that he is already looking forward to bigger fights in the weight class.

“After this fight, I’m coming for all of the featherweight champions and to prove I’m the best in the division,” he added.

Donaire hasn’t fought since losing the WBO super bantamweight championship to Jessie Magdaleno in November 2016 in Las Vegas. After failing to secure a rematch, Donaire left Top Rank and will now collide with Hernandez in a fight promoted by Ringstar Sports.

Hernandez (22-2, with 9 KOs), for his part, vowed to spoil Donaire’s featherweight return.

“I know that I am facing a great fighter and that has motivated me to train harder than ever before for this matchup,” said Hernandez, who is riding on a seven-fight winning streak.

“I’m planning on giving it my all and giving the fans a great fight. I hope Donaire comes to fight because I am coming to knock him out on September 23rd,” added the Mexico City-based fighter.

Donaire split his two bouts as a featherweight. After dethroning Simpiwe Vetyeka to become the WBA featherweight champion in 2014, he failed to defend the title, losing to Nicholas Walters by knockout the same year.

Now he’s out to test his mettle again in the division.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nonito Donaire vs. Ruben Hernandez Now For WBC Silver Title
http://www.boxingscene.com/nonito-donai ... le--120612

Former multi-division world champion Nonito Donaire fights Mexico's Ruben Garcia Hernandez for the World Boxing Council's vacant Silver belt, this Saturday at the Alamodome Dome in San Antonio Texas.

Donaire is already a legend of Philippine boxing, just behind Manny Pacquiao in terms of the fame game, he's fashioned a record of 41 fights, of which he has won 37, including 24 KO´s and 4 defeats.

Garcia, who says he is ready for the most relevant and exacting challenge of his career. He has a professional mark of 25 fights, he has 22 victories with 9 KO´s, 2 defeats and a draw.

Tickets for the live event, which is promoted by Ringstar Sports in association with World Boxing Super Series, are priced at $250, $125, $100, $50, and $30, and are on sale now. Tickets are available at ticketmaster.com.

Nonito Donaire looking to revive career vs Hernandez

Sponsor

Sponsor