Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:56 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:45 am 
Cruiserweight

And to think some believed he was the Filipino heir Apparent to Manny Pacquiao.

Carl Frampton isn't even that good, won't ever get as much as a Footnote in Boxing History

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:54 am 
Heavyweight

Still the only other Asian to win 3 titles.
He's done though.
Can't pull the trigger anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:20 pm 
Welterweight

its ok, he can retire and teach kids to sing and dance.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:26 pm 
Heavyweight

JoeyInCali wrote:
He's done though.

4 (5 including interim) division titles, yes, he's the only other Asian...

Kameda and Nietes also won 3 division titles...

Anyway, yes, he should retire...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:09 pm 
Heavyweight

That was Donaires last fight imo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:23 pm 
Heavyweight

JoeyInCali wrote:
He's done though.

It's Rachel's fault.Nonito should have had a rest the night before the fight. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: She's ready to fire four shots from her caliber 45.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:15 pm 
Heavyweight

lol, Rachel Donaire is the coach, saying before round 12 in a shrill voice - "You play your fcking game, not his game "

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6i7nls

Donaire can't KO real elite featherweights, he can only rock them, he's all fat too. Marked up a lot, Frampton doesn't seem to have a scratch. Richard Schaeffer is sad lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:21 am 
Lightweight

gritsteel2 wrote:
lol, Rachel Donaire is the coach, saying before round 12 in a shrill voice - "You play your fcking game, not his game "

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6i7nls

Donaire can't KO real elite featherweights, he can only rock them, he's all fat too. Marked up a lot, Frampton doesn't seem to have a scratch. Richard Schaeffer is sad lol

Thanks for the video link..

Nonito has been way past his prime. In the last few years, he has really slowed down and been hitting mostly air in his fights. He's no longer the "The Filipino Flash" of glory years.

Time to retire, or expire badly. You've had a great run anyways -- multi-divisional titlist , a one-time "Fighter of the Year", and made your kababayans proud. Best wishes to you and fam!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:40 am 
Welterweight

I think Donaire should just retire. He's already accomplished everything he could in boxing. Time to move on. However, if he wishes to continue boxing, I think he should move back down to the 122 lbs Jr Featherweight or Super Bantamweight division. He's had more success knocking people down and/or out in that weight class. The only 2 people to give him serious trouble in that weight class was Guillermo Rigondeaux and Jessie Magdaleno. He doesn't really have the power to drop anybody at 126 pounds, which is what he needs to do in order to turn his fights around especially against those who are able to outbox him like Frampton. Being able to knock down or knockout his opponent can turn the fight around. Almost every fight he had at 122 he was able to knock down or knock out his opponent but not at 126. Sure, he knocked down Simpiwe Vetyeka at 126 but the fight went to the score cards due to an accidental head butt. After that he was knocked out by Nicholas Walters at 126. He went back down to 122 afterwards and has been knocking people down or out until he lost to Jessie Magdaleno at 122. The problem with Donaire is that his career and fighting style pretty much has been based on his knockout power but what happens if he's not able to knock out his opponent? He loses to elite fighters usually because he gets outboxed even at 122 (Rigondeaux & Magdaleno). Since he cannot change his style or improve his style to become more of a boxer as opposed to a counter knockout puncher, he might as well stick to what he's good at which is knocking people down or out, which is why he should just move back down to 122. The champions at 122 are Daniel Roman (WBA) from US, Rey Vargas (WBC) from Mexico, Ryosuke Iwasa (IBF) from Japan, and Jessie Magdaleno (WBO) from US. Rigondeaux doesn't currently hold a belt after his loss to Lomachenko but he's the Lineal Champion. Donaire can try to challenge one of the other weaker champions for a belt other than Magdaleno & Rigondeaux. I think he has a chance of beating one of those other champions I listed. But if he can longer make it down in weight to 122 pounds, then he really should retire because I don't think he has a good future at 126 pounds. Some may say that his reflexes have also slowed down a bit. If that's the case, then he has every reason to retire.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:27 am 
Heavyweight

BDJr wrote:
I think Donaire should just retire. He's already accomplished everything he could in boxing. Time to move on. However, if he wishes to continue boxing, I think he should move back down to the 122 lbs Jr Featherweight or Super Bantamweight division. He's had more success knocking people down and/or out in that weight class. The only 2 people to give him serious trouble in that weight class was Guillermo Rigondeaux and Jessie Magdaleno. He doesn't really have the power to drop anybody at 126 pounds, which is what he needs to do in order to turn his fights around especially against those who are able to outbox him like Frampton. Being able to knock down or knockout his opponent can turn the fight around. Almost every fight he had at 122 he was able to knock down or knock out his opponent but not at 126. Sure, he knocked down Simpiwe Vetyeka at 126 but the fight went to the score cards due to an accidental head butt. After that he was knocked out by Nicholas Walters at 126. He went back down to 122 afterwards and has been knocking people down or out until he lost to Jessie Magdaleno at 122. The problem with Donaire is that his career and fighting style pretty much has been based on his knockout power but what happens if he's not able to knock out his opponent? He loses to elite fighters usually because he gets outboxed even at 122 (Rigondeaux & Magdaleno). Since he cannot change his style or improve his style to become more of a boxer as opposed to a counter knockout puncher, he might as well stick to what he's good at which is knocking people down or out, which is why he should just move back down to 122. The champions at 122 are Daniel Roman (WBA) from US, Rey Vargas (WBC) from Mexico, Ryosuke Iwasa (IBF) from Japan, and Jessie Magdaleno (WBO) from US. Rigondeaux doesn't currently hold a belt after his loss to Lomachenko but he's the Lineal Champion. Donaire can try to challenge one of the other weaker champions for a belt other than Magdaleno & Rigondeaux. I think he has a chance of beating one of those other champions I listed. But if he can longer make it down in weight to 122 pounds, then he really should retire because I don't think he has a good future at 126 pounds. Some may say that his reflexes have also slowed down a bit. If that's the case, then he has every reason to retire.

You saw the last time Donaire fights. He can't pull the trigger. Even if he could his workrate has always been his weakness. Younger guys are more active than him. Donaire has this habit of just hopping for nothing and not doing anything but watching his opponents.
Even back in his prime he did this a lot. It's frustrating for us fans. So it's better he retires if he isn't or can't throw punches anymore.
He only threw punches in the last 2 rounds when it was too late. Spending 10 rounds just hopping and following Frampton around the ring. Donaire should just hang those gloves up for good. And spare us from misery.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:17 am 
Welterweight

Numero uno wrote:
BDJr wrote:

You saw the last time Donaire fights. He can't pull the trigger. Even if he could his workrate has always been his weakness. Younger guys are more active than him. Donaire has this habit of just hopping for nothing and not doing anything but watching his opponents.
Even back in his prime he did this a lot. It's frustrating for us fans. So it's better he retires if he isn't or can't throw punches anymore.
He only threw punches in the last 2 rounds when it was too late. Spending 10 rounds just hopping and following Frampton around the ring. Donaire should just hang those gloves up for good. And spare us from misery.

Yes you're right. Even when he was younger he doesn't really throw too many punches. The reason why he's like this is because he's loading up on that 1-punch knockout trying to time his opponent. Rather than throw more combinations, he chooses to conserve his strength so he can go all out on that 1-punch knockout. However, that style isn't always going to work especially against elite boxers like Rigondeaux and even Magdaleno who know how to box. He also doesn't throw a whole lot of jabs especially in his fight against Frampton. He just likes to waltz right in and then try to get into an inside brawl. He should use the jab more often to set up different combinations. I think his reflexes have slowed down and as you said, he can't pull the trigger anymore. His best hope for any success is to move back down to 122 pounds. But due to old age, wear & tear, and lack of a higher work rate, he may not do so well and should retire. He should try to go after one of the other 122 lbs champions if he still chooses to fight & forget about the 126 featherweight division.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:51 am 
Cruiserweight

BDJr wrote:
-snip-

...I think he should move back down to the 122 lbs...

-snip-

Unfortunately, that's a typical boxer's dilemma as they age. It's tough going down to the weight when they were younger without draining themselves or moving up in weight fighting naturally bigger guys and losing some of their power effectiveness against them not to mention they hit much harder.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:06 am 
Welterweight

kulukuy wrote:
BDJr wrote:
-snip-

-snip-

Unfortunately, that's a typical boxer's dilemma as they age. It's tough going down to the weight when they were younger without draining themselves or moving up in weight fighting naturally bigger guys and losing some of their power effectiveness against them not to mention they hit much harder.

Yes, I agree with you. I'm not sure if Donaire can still make that weight and not feel drained. If he can't go back down to 122 then he should just retire. It reminded me of Arturo Gatti. He said he didn't have the power at 147 pounds but he couldn't make the 140 pound limit anymore, and so he retired after he lost back to back against Carlos Baldomir and Alfonso Gomez at 147. It happens to many of them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:47 am 
Cruiserweight

BDJr wrote:
kulukuy wrote:
BDJr wrote:
-snip-

-snip-

Yes, I agree with you. I'm not sure if Donaire can still make that weight and not feel drained. If he can't go back down to 122 then he should just retire. It reminded me of Arturo Gatti. He said he didn't have the power at 147 pounds but he couldn't make the 140 pound limit anymore, and so he retired after he lost back to back against Carlos Baldomir and Alfonso Gomez at 147. It happens to many of them.

That's why it's even more significant or important to have the right people around a fighter to prepare for a fight at such a stage in his career to compensate for the eventual shortcomings...and not bring in your good ol' domineering wifey and a wannabe-boxing-trainer of a conditioning coach to be advising you in your corner on fight night in order to save money and skimp on the proper personnel that's needed to get the job done. That's why Floydie has stayed on top even at an advanced age because he is aware of this fact and puts his mind into it and doesn't skimp on his camp personnel. I don't like the dude but you gotta give it to him for his professionalism.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:50 am 
Featherweight

I admire nonito's courage fighting frampton in his own backyard. He never backs down from challenges. He could have avoided a prime rigondaux in the peak of his career and cash out on bums just like what other boxers did but he chose to fight the best. He could have avoided walters, magdaleno and frampton and fought champions that are easy pickings. During the limelight of his career he gave honor to our country and made us proud to be filipinos. At the end of the day, he will have peace of mind knowing he tried and fought the best rather than having that void feeling asking himself "what if?". I do agree that he should retire or move down to 122 if he would continue to fight.