Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:25 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:49 am 
Welterweight

Donaire said Ringstar Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, who was at ringside, was proud of how he fought. “Richard asked me if I should continue fighting at 126,” he said. “I’m thinking of going down to 122 or even 118. It’s not a problem to trim down. At training camp, I was walking around at 133 so cutting down to 122 wouldn’t be difficult. Guys in the featherweight division can take my power but guys in the superbantamweight or bantamweight division can’t.”

http://philboxing.com/news/story-135926.html

This is EXACTLY what I have said earlier. Although I think Donaire should retire, if he wishes to continue fighting, he will have to move back down to 122 pounds since featherweights could handle his power especially if they're bulking up to 147 pounds on fight night like what Frampton probably did. But the lower weight classes cannot take his power since he's knocked down or out many guys at 122. What surprised me is when he said he can move down to 118 no problem. I don't think he can get down that low without feeling weight-drained but according to him he says he can do it. The current champions at 118 lbs Bantamweight are Ryan Burnett (WBA) from UK, Zolani Tete (WBO) from South Africa, while the WBC and IBF titles are vacant. It's possible he can try to fight for one of the vacant titles or the other 2 champions. The champions at 122 are Daniel Roman (WBA) from US, Rey Vargas (WBC) from Mexico, Ryosuke Iwasa (IBF) from Japan, and Jessie Magdaleno (WBO) from US. I think he might be able to win a title fighting one of the other champions other than Magdaleno.

The problem with Donaire is that since he doesn't have the power to hurt anybody at featherweight, he needed to adjust his style to focus more on speed, volume punching & outboxing his opponents rather than trying to knock the guy out. In the 1st round Donaire was able to land some good shots but once Frampton felt his power in that round, he decided to focus on outboxing Donaire instead of trying to get into a slugfest. Although in the later rounds Donaire was able to wobble Frampton a few times, he didn't have the power to finish him. But if this fight were at 122 or 118, Donaire probably would have knocked out Frampton. He will also need to hire a better trainer and conditioning coach and remove his wife from the corner. Since Pacquiao fired Roach, maybe Donaire will get the time & attention he needs from Roach for his next fight. There are other excellent trainers out there to choose from but I think Roach's style matches Donaire's style since both like to attack. Let's just wait & see what Donaire does. My recommendation is to retire but apparently he doesn't feel it's yet time to hang up the gloves.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:21 pm 
Featherweight

Pinoy62 wrote:
Excel wrote:
I admire nonito's courage fighting frampton in his own backyard. He never backs down from challenges. He could have avoided a prime rigondaux in the peak of his career and cash out on bums just like what other boxers did but he chose to fight the best. He could have avoided walters, magdaleno and frampton and fought champions that are easy pickings. During the limelight of his career he gave honor to our country and made us proud to be filipinos. At the end of the day, he will have peace of mind knowing he tried and fought the best rather than having that void feeling asking himself "what if?". I do agree that he should retire or move down to 122 if he would continue to fight.

Yes! Salute to Nonito, he made us proud during his Championship years! Now just like every other Boxers the sun had set in and time had slowed him down, I think it's time to hang up and just enjoy and relax with his family. There's more things to offer in Boxing besides being a Boxer, I think he should pursue either being a Trainer or a Promoter or just find another career. Thank you, always Proud of the Filipino Flash!

Exactly! His accomplishments in boxing cements his legacy as one of the most successful filipino boxers of all time. No shame in that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:04 pm 
Middleweight

donaire always looks for a KO, its a habit that finished his career. if he wants to win again he should fight darchinyan again and again :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:32 pm 
Welterweight

Donaire is a hall of fame boxer.

The same cannot be said for the many Bums in the Philippines

Only Nietes and Pacquiao can be regarded as respectable Filipino boxers, while Donaire is better than Nietes, he did not get the proper matchmaking, coaching that helped Pacquiao.

Every other Filipino not named Nietes, Pacquiao or Donaire is B-level.

Sadly Donaire became drunk on his on fame after winning Fighter of the Year and allowed his wife to guide him instead of the proper professionals in boxing.