Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:57 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:13 pm 
Featherweight

I read thru all 16 pages of original thread "Elorde No. 1 Among Filipino Boxing Greats" and picked these statements made against Flash Elorde

"27 losses are 27 losses."

"27 losses is certainly not great."

"this is f**king brilliant. a guy with 27 losses is ranked higher than pacquiao."

Let's forget about Elorde for awhile and and LET US GO BOXING GLOBALLY and replace him with a fighter WITH "ONLY 19" LOSSES.

SUGAR RAY ROBINSON!

I am not comparing Ray Robinson and Flash Elorde as there is ABSOLUTELY no comparison. SRR is obviously way way waaay better than Flash. This is not to react on what Ronnie Nathanielsz wrote on the other thread. I just want to get some reactions in relation TO THE 3 STATEMENTS that was made which I think denigrates Flash Elorde in a way (in my opinion).

Whoever thinks The Flash, Espinosa, Navarrette, Penalosa or Pacman etc. should be number one is entitled to his/her opinion.

Do you think Sugar Ray Robinson deserved to be called "The Greatest Pound for Pound Boxer of All time"?
Will it be an insult to Manny Pacquiao to rank SRR above him in the greatest pound for pound debate of all time if as he has 19 losses?

- Charles Barkley -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:11 pm 
Heavyweight

arguments about losses will go on.

elorde's style is similar to gerry penalosa. but gerry seems better able to avoid facial damages. i can't compare the opponents of the two.

i've seen several fights of elorde. you can see he's a tough, brave fighter. elorde also loved to go forward. unfortunately, he seems to be hit more often. you always feel he gonna lose the fight if he didn't do something spectacular at the later rounds.

elorde delivered for our country. that's a fact. he'll always be an all time great. i wish elorde had a better coach & the right handlers who were at par with what manny has right now. who knows what better glory could have come out of it for elorde?

pacman has achieved a lot, what is outstanding is that pacman is still at the top of his game. pacman will still be giving us more entertainment & obviously more glory. there's nothing wrong if pacman has surpassed the achievements of elorde. i'm sure its what we want. someday another fighter will try to surpass pacquiao's achievements too. that time we need to move on & recognize whoever that is..........................

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:02 pm 
Welterweight

i have seen flash elorde's record at boxrec. http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hu ... &cat=boxer

how many years did they say elorde defended a title? they said he defended it for 7 years. i did not see any 7-year streak for elorde in box rec. is boxrec inaccurate?

besides, he lost against unknowns (except for ortiz). He won mostly when he was fighting at home...

With much respect on elorde, he was a great fighter in his time and was the pride of the Philippines during his era, but pacman is really on different level. elorde was one of the best fighters in asia, but pacman is arguably the best fighter in the world today. how can elorde top that?

pacquiao is like yao ming to china... they are freaks of nature. comes once in a lifetime

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:04 pm 
Middleweight

By now, no can argue the fact that Pacman is indeed the best filipino that ever laced a glove.
The "flash" is a great boxer, no doubt about it, but the achievements of Pacman is something that no filipino can equal in many years to come.

I checked Elorde's record and I am also at lost as to how was he able to defend his title for 7 straight long years when in fact he was intermittently winning and losing throughout his career?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:50 pm 
Heavyweight

objectively and with no disrespect, pac is better than elorde... won more titles, fought and won over future hall of famers, went up and down weight classes with great success, pac's obviously way ahead in terms of global popularity and wealth, and with all these achievements he still has the opportunity to improve further...

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:19 pm 
Heavyweight

I heard that many of those 27 loses happened on the latter part of Elorde's career. He still wants to fight but his skills were gone. It even went to the extent that GAB revokes his license permanently so that he cannot fight anymore.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:40 pm 
Cruiserweight

bust_em_all wrote:
i have seen flash elorde's record at boxrec. http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hu ... &cat=boxer

how many years did they say elorde defended a title? they said he defended it for 7 years. i did not see any 7-year streak for elorde in box rec. is boxrec inaccurate?

besides, he lost against unknowns (except for ortiz). He won mostly when he was fighting at home...

With much respect on elorde, he was a great fighter in his time and was the pride of the Philippines during his era, but pacman is really on different level. elorde was one of the best fighters in asia, but pacman is arguably the best fighter in the world today. how can elorde top that?

pacquiao is like yao ming to china... they are freaks of nature. comes once in a lifetime

for all i know, his streak for 7years was at 130 lbs - jr. lightweight division

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:57 pm 
Welterweight

JaM GuTZ wrote:
bust_em_all wrote:

for all i know, his streak for 7years was at 130 lbs - jr. lightweight division

still, being a champion, he shouldn't have lost. if he wants to campaign at a higher weight, he has to give up his SF belt.

ilang beses kasi yun nangyari. he held on to his SF belt just in case he loses at LW, he still has a belt to go back to. that's like playing it safe.

yung mga old-school fans kasi, they are living in the past. elorde was GREAT. but pacquiao is GREATER. and when i say PAC is greater, i meant no disrespect to elorde.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:31 pm 
Heavyweight

bust_em_all wrote:

besides, he lost against unknowns (except for ortiz).

There's one very important thing you have to know that you somehow missed.

Elorde was OPBF Lightweight Champion and World Junior Lightweight Champion at the same time.

Japan then had a "Beat Elorde Campaign" going on. Most of his defeats abroad were hometown decisions. Mismanaged before Lope Sarreal took him under his wings.

The poll/survey was made a long time ago. Pacquiao already overtook Elorde with regards to achievements.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:01 pm 
Middleweight

the popular in asia is PAC&YAO=PACQUAIO