Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 3:24 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:42 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:15 am
Posts: 9038
Location: Back to browsing
Elorde No. 1 Among Filipino Boxing Greats


By Ronnie Nathanielsz

The late world junior lightweight champion Gabriel "Flash" Elorde has emerged No.1 in a poll conducted among a select group of boxing writers and commentators by QTV Channel 11 for a special to be telecast at 6:00 p.m. on Sunday.

The survey also included the country’s top amateurs in the mix in which well-known TV boxing personalities and columnists including Ed Picson, Quinito Henson, Ed Tolentino and Chino Trinidad among others picked the top ten and explained their choices.

Surprisingly, Filipino ring idol Manny Pacquiao finished sixth in the survey topped by Elorde who reigned as world champion for almost seven-and-a-half years and was known for his decency both in and outside the ring. Elorde topped the poll with 65 votes ahead of the first Filipino world champion Pancho Villa who was enshrined, like Elorde, in the Hall of Fame. Villa who became world flyweight champion in 1923 was a close second with 63 votes.

Tokyo Olympic Games silver medallist Anthony Villanueva was third with 56 votes while former two-division world champion Luisito Espinosa got 48 votes for fourth spot followed by Atlanta Olympics silver medallist Onyok Velasco who received 43 votes to finish fifth.

Pacquiao who just suffered a setback in his bid to unseat incumbent congresswoman Darlene Antonino Custodio in the May 14 elections was sixth with 39 votes. Dodie Boy Penalosa who overcame the handicap of polio to become a two-division world champion was at No. 7 with 34 votes followed by former world flyweight champion Erbito Salavarria at No. 8 with 33 votes. The 9th spot was occupied by ex world junior lightweight champion Rolando Navarrette with 25 votes. Rounding off the top ten was former WBC super flyweight champion Gerry Penalosa with 19 votes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:52 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:05 pm
Posts: 6483
Location: pacland
Chups wrote:
Elorde No. 1 Among Filipino Boxing Greats


By Ronnie Nathanielsz

The late world junior lightweight champion Gabriel "Flash" Elorde has emerged No.1 in a poll conducted among a select group of boxing writers and commentators by QTV Channel 11 for a special to be telecast at 6:00 p.m. on Sunday.

The survey also included the country’s top amateurs in the mix in which well-known TV boxing personalities and columnists including Ed Picson, Quinito Henson, Ed Tolentino and Chino Trinidad among others picked the top ten and explained their choices.

Surprisingly, Filipino ring idol Manny Pacquiao finished sixth in the survey topped by Elorde who reigned as world champion for almost seven-and-a-half years and was known for his decency both in and outside the ring. Elorde topped the poll with 65 votes ahead of the first Filipino world champion Pancho Villa who was enshrined, like Elorde, in the Hall of Fame. Villa who became world flyweight champion in 1923 was a close second with 63 votes.

Tokyo Olympic Games silver medallist Anthony Villanueva was third with 56 votes while former two-division world champion Luisito Espinosa got 48 votes for fourth spot followed by Atlanta Olympics silver medallist Onyok Velasco who received 43 votes to finish fifth.

Pacquiao who just suffered a setback in his bid to unseat incumbent congresswoman Darlene Antonino Custodio in the May 14 elections was sixth with 39 votes. Dodie Boy Penalosa who overcame the handicap of polio to become a two-division world champion was at No. 7 with 34 votes followed by former world flyweight champion Erbito Salavarria at No. 8 with 33 votes. The 9th spot was occupied by ex world junior lightweight champion Rolando Navarrette with 25 votes. Rounding off the top ten was former WBC super flyweight champion Gerry Penalosa with 19 votes.


thnx sir for the read...

_________________
just have a little faith...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:26 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:31 am
Posts: 12739
Location: On the first Tee!
All of these writers have hell to pay. Pac will not grant them interviews anymore. They'll be on his $hit list like ABS-CBN. :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:42 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:17 pm
Posts: 4032
Location: Birkenhead, UK
bisdak wrote:
All of these writers have hell to pay. Pac will not grant them interviews anymore. They'll be on his $hit list like ABS-CBN. :smoke:



Yeah, you are correct!! MP will change channel :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:50 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:15 am
Posts: 9038
Location: Back to browsing
bisdak wrote:
All of these writers have hell to pay. Pac will not grant them interviews anymore. They'll be on his $hit list like ABS-CBN. :smoke:


I didn't agree with the list either. Pac getting in politics must have a lot to do with his low ranking at 6th. Dodie boy is also too low. And where is Ceferino Garcia?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:56 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:46 am
Posts: 15184
Location: on top of HH's mom
no suico? this list is bogus

_________________
the last thing i would ever want to do is hurt you....but it's on the list


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:17 am 
Offline
Light Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:44 am
Posts: 1076
elorde no.1???

stop this nonsense.. i don't care if he was champion for 7 years. competition was not high during that time. besides the guy has 27 losses.. this means he got beaten by 27 different man with no names..

now tell me, is that the greatest fiipino boxer we ever had?? i hope not!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:12 am 
Offline
Light Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:44 am
Posts: 1472
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
That's bullcrap. PACMAN should be number 1. there's no such thing fighting hall of fame fighters and a top pound for pound rankings. And a world champion in 3 different levels. Boxing writers are fraudgulent. :thor:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:30 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:31 am
Posts: 12739
Location: On the first Tee!
pound4pound1 wrote:
no suico? this list is bogus


BobPac should be ranked higher than his brother too. :smoke:

I agree with Chups. I'll put Ceferino Garcia in there instead of Onyok.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:46 am 
Offline
Middleweight
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:31 pm
Posts: 637
Location: The best city in PI, Cebu City
I agree with their no.1 choice and Manny should've been in the top 3 just behind Pacho Villa.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:47 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:31 am
Posts: 12739
Location: On the first Tee!
allanph wrote:
That's bullcrap. PACMAN should be number 1. there's no such thing fighting hall of fame fighters and a top pound for pound rankings. And a world champion in 3 different levels. Boxing writers are fraudgulent. :thor:


Marami pa raw bigas kakainin si Manny.

trans: Pac has many elections to run and win.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:37 am 
Offline
Light Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:44 am
Posts: 1440
Location: New York
There is no credible sources in the phil, cant beleive Pac is not in the top 3. Entering politics shouldnt be a setback on his greatness in boxing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:46 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 11:51 pm
Posts: 25677
Location: San Pablo City, Laguna
Pacquiao has eclipsed elorde's feats. Manny has more KOs than elorde. Manny has had more belts than elorde had. Manny is the #1 Filipino fighter of all time to present.

In the last years of elorde's career, he fought all of his fights except against Ortiz in the Philippines. His last few victories except for 1 knockout of a Japanese unknown were hometown victories. His last real great fight was against Ysmael Laguna, then he won mostly hometown decisions.

_________________
Constantly True; Faithful to You: BLUE EAGLE THE KING!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:56 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:47 am
Posts: 8304
Location: nevermind
...it would be nice if mr ronnie nathanielz cited the criteria in the selection... i agree with the comment of atty bc...also, dodie boy should be in the top five (just imagine, a polio victim but managed to become a champion)...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:21 am 
Offline
Welterweight

Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:44 pm
Posts: 497
with all due respect, PACMAN should be no. 1. D' Flash is only No. 2 in my list. How about the great LUISITO ESPINOSA and likewise CEFERINO GARCIA, WHY ARE THEY NOT IN THE LIST!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

philboxing.com | pinoygreats.com
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group