Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:13 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:25 am 
Heavyweight

romwald2 wrote:
No disrespect to you, breinz. Now, you're engaging in a lot more sensible discussion.

Here's the argument. If Pancho Villa were to live in our day and age, wouldn't he avail of the same training and regimen modern fighters get? Add these to his innate talent and inborn skills, wouldn't he be a formidable boxer? It's easy to see him fight circa 1920's and judge him in today's standards, but it's totally subjective. The same should be true to Bob Cousy, or Fred Perry, and all other legends of sports. Try to realize that sports would never be on the level it's at right now had it not been for legends and pioneers who excelled during their era.

Boxers and others sportsmen today owe a lot from these legends. There is no today if there was no yesterday, as there won't be tomorrow, if there is no today.
Sure these guys like Villa helped modern athletes getting to the doors of science however, these guys like Villa were probably braver than today's but technique has come a long long way already. What were science fiction before are today's practical application so as a whole, man today is greater, faster & stronger. What were bows & arrows before are now missiles.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:41 am 
Welterweight

romwald2 wrote:
No disrespect to you, breinz. Now, you're engaging in a lot more sensible discussion.

Here's the argument. If Pancho Villa were to live in our day and age, wouldn't he avail of the same training and regimen modern fighters get? Add these to his innate talent and inborn skills, wouldn't he be a formidable boxer? It's easy to see him fight circa 1920's and judge him in today's standards, but it's totally subjective. The same should be true to Bob Cousy, or Fred Perry, and all other legends of sports. Try to realize that sports would never be on the level it's at right now had it not been for legends and pioneers who excelled during their era.

Boxers and others sportsmen today owe a lot from these legends. There is no today if there was no yesterday, as there won't be tomorrow, if there is no today.

I agree that the athletes in the past actually MADE the athletes of today. Villa sure would make a good fighter today, but so would the bunch of other boxers that he faced in the past if the same training were given them. See, I can't really be sure if all those boxers that the Great Pancho Villa in the past had the same equal training as Villa did. Not all of them had access to what would be considered scientific training back in the day. Some of them probably had some did some weird training myth say like eschewing a bath for a whole month or wearing a jockstrap riddled with prints and 'burda' of some mystical 'orasyon' (wonder if they had jockstraps too back in the day). I agree that you cant teach talent that is inherent to a few lucky individuals, but I can't really agree that the fighters of today are a bunch of Jell-Os compared to the fighters of the past. We just cant really devolve that quickly can we? :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:46 am 
Heavyweight

breinz wrote:
romwald2 wrote:

I agree that the athletes in the past actually MADE the athletes of today. Villa sure would make a good fighter today, but so would the bunch of other boxers that he faced in the past if the same training were given them. See, I can't really be sure if all those boxers that the Great Pancho Villa in the past had the same equal training as Villa did. Not all of them had access to what would be considered scientific training back in the day. Some of them probably had some did some weird training myth say like eschewing a bath for a whole month or wearing a jockstrap riddled with prints and 'burda' of some mystical 'orasyon' (wonder if they had jockstraps too back in the day). I agree that you cant teach talent that is inherent to a few lucky individuals, but I can't really agree that the fighters of today are a bunch of Jell-Os compared to the fighters of the past. We just cant really devolve that quickly can we? :)

I'm pretty sure that Pancho Villa's opponents did not run, train & lived up high in the Ottomi mountains of Mexica like what Juan Manuel Marquez did.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:56 am 
Cruiserweight

THE_HIPPIE wrote:
flipgolfer wrote:
This is a fascinating thread. Thanks to all those that continue to contribute. :lol: 8) :D

I know several relatives, old-timers(brothers, townmates, etc) of my lolos and lolas that came to Cali before WW2. They used to tell stories of how, after working the fields (Delano, Fresno, Bakersfield, Salinas, Stockton, Guadalupe/San Maria, etc) that one of the things they would look forward to was to go watch their countrymen fight, generally against Mexicans.

Also, especially the ones that lived in LA/SF, how much racism they encountered. They were often called "little brown monkeys", or something like that. :? :( I've seen pictures of our pioneers hanging out "in Filipino Town" in downtown LA dressed to the hilt, wearing suits and ties).

I love this thread.

Filpinos were called brown monkeys by the Mexicans??

No bro. Not by the Mexicans. By Americans in those days. Ignorant Americans I might add. Don't forget that the US was going thru the Great Depression in the 30's, and lots of them probably resented all the foreigners working at the bottom of the economic scale.

Actually, the Mexicans and Filipinos in those days work side by side in the fields. Plus with their Catholic background got along well, for the most part.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:52 pm 
Light Heavyweight

flipgolfer wrote:
Bro Grayfist,

Your contribution to this thread is awesome, and much appreciated. :lol: 8) :D
Thanks flip..., good buddy. Just my wee bit, really. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:41 pm 
Heavyweight

I just went into nostalgia of the fun times in Pacland, during the days this thread was being run. Hi Champ. Fun times, huh?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:12 am 
Middleweight

BCngSPC wrote:
I just went into nostalgia of the fun times in Pacland, during the days this thread was being run. Hi Champ. Fun times, huh?

Good thread, informative!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:18 am 
Heavyweight

Where have all the good men gone?
Great thread. Bookmarked.
Nowadays, a purely boxing thread would be lucky to reach 3 pages with some smart posters contributing something sensible.
Time has changed a lot since Pacland.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:06 pm 
Heavyweight

Lildevalt wrote:
Nowadays, a purely boxing thread would be lucky to reach 3 pages with some smart posters contributing something sensible.
[color=# :( FF0000]Time has changed a lot since Pacland[/color].

This is still Pacland. Right? :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:19 am 
Welterweight

BCngSPC wrote:
Lildevalt wrote:
[color=# :( FF0000]Time has changed a lot since Pacland[/color].

This is still Pacland. Right? :(

It turned to pactard land unfortunately.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11