Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:05 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:03 am 
Offline
Welterweight

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:57 am
Posts: 398
Thank you grayfist for your great contribution to this thread. It boosts our pride to know that there were other boxing heroes from whose shoulders stand our champion Mannu Pacquiao and other present excellent boxers.

I came across this aticle, "The Origins of Philippine Boxing, 1899-1929", by Joseph R. Svinth and it's been very informative. He wrote about a 20-year old Eddie Duarte, working in an army ship Burnside, laying cables between Valdez, Alaska and San Francisco, took up boxing. His first fight was in Tacoma, WA against and American Indian who is 20 lbs. heavier, but still won the fight. He later on fought in Alaska, Canada and the US. Eddie Duarte eventuallky came home the Philippines as a boxing hero, fought a welter, Antonio Zuzuarrigue, a boxer who was widely popular while Eddie Duarte roamed the world. Despite weighing only 129 lbs., still Eddie Duarte won the fight. In 1916, old and worn out, he lost to a youthful Ramon Sanchez.

http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_svinth_0701.htm

Proud to be Pinoy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:02 am 
Offline
Welterweight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:42 am
Posts: 345
Location: CALI
I love this thread.......and onyot69 should learn how to respect.

_________________
"If God is with me who can be against me?"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:33 am 
Offline
Welterweight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:42 am
Posts: 345
Location: CALI
What do you think about this fight, Rolando Bohol?
I hate this referree racist against Filipino.....from all the Filipino fights since I've been watching the USA Tuesday Night Fights. The only one that got away was Manny when he TKO Barrera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQrWUSX3NfU

_________________
"If God is with me who can be against me?"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:59 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:47 pm
Posts: 5254
CHAMP wrote:
Pancho Villa
(Francisco Guilledo)
Villa was an explosive and relentless fighter who hit hard with both fists, fighting in the fashion of a "miniature" Jack Dempsey. Many consider him to be the greatest Asian fighter ever. Among those he defeated were Johnny Buff, Abe Goldstein, Terry Martin, Jimmy Wilde, Benny Schwartz, Georgie Marks, Bud Taylor, and Clever Sencio

Villa died of blood poisoning from an infected tooth 10 days after his last fight. Both Nat Fleischer and Charley Rose ranked Villa as the #2 All-Time Flyweight; He was elected to the Ring Boxing Hall of Fame in 1961 and International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1994.
BORN: August 1 1901; Iloilo, Phillipines
DIED: July 14 1925; San Francisco, California (blood poisoning)

HEIGHT : 5-1 WEIGHT : 109-115 lbs MANAGER : Frank Churchill

1919
Kid Castro Manila, Phil W 4
Terry Pandong Manila, Phil W 4
Kid Cortez Manila, Phil W 4
Pedro Alberto Manila, Phil W 4
Young Edwards Manila, Phil W 4
Alberto Castro Manila, Phil KO 3
Cesareo Siguion Manila, Phil KO 2
Young Duarte Manila, Phil W 4
Jamie Desiderio Manila, Phil KO 2
Kid Elino Manila, Phil W 4
Kid Moro Manila, Phil KO 2
Jose de la Cruz Manila, Phil W 4
Pedro Olongapo Manila, Phil W 4
Jose Mendoza Manila, Phil KO 2
Baguio Bearcat Manila, Phil W 4
Baguio Bearcat Manila, Phil W 4
-Some sources report the previous 3 bouts held during 1919

1920
Pedro Capitan Manila, Phil KO 4
Frisco Concepcion Manila, Phil L 4
Kid Castro Manila, Phil W 6
Salvador Santo Tomas Manila, Phil KO 2
Big Cortez Manila, Phil ND 6
Jose de la Cruz Manila, Phil W 6
Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil W 6
Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil W 6
Juan Candelaria Manila, Phil W 6
Kid Cortez Manila, Phil W 6
Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil ND 6
Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil ND 6
Stiff Irineo Manila, Phil W 6

1921
Jan 10 Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil D 15
Jan 23 Juan Candelaria Manila, Phil KO 4
Feb 7 Kid Moro Manila, Phil KO 3
Feb 21 Terry Pandong Manila, Phil W 8
Mar 5 Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil W 10
Mar 26 Young Santos Manila, Phil KO 7
Apr 10 Kid Garcia Manila, Phil W 8
Apr 24 Stiff Irineo Manila, Phil KO 2
May 8 Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil W 15
May 22 Knockout Lewis Manila, Phil KO 4
Jun 6 Pedro Alberto Manila, Phil W 8
Jun 20 Leoncio Bernabe Manila, Phil D 6
Jul 11 Young Modejar Manila, Phil W 6
Jul 25 Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil D 15
Aug 9 Eddie Moore Manila, Phil LF 10
Aug 23 Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil W 20
Sep 7 Syd Keenan Manila, Phil W 8
Sep 21 Leoncio Barnabe Manila, Phil W 8
Oct 5 Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil W 20
Oct 19 Kid Aguila Manila, Phil W 8
Nov 3 Cowboy Reyes Manila, Phil W 15
Nov 10 Kid Aguila Manila, Phil W 8
Nov 17 Kid Garcia Manila, Phil W 8
Dec 8 George Mendies Manila, Phil KO 3
Dec 15 Jimmy Taylor Manila, Phil W 8
Dec 29 Battling Ongay Manila, Phil KO 1

1922
Jan 12 Kid Abayan Manila, Phil W 8
Feb 12 Georgie Lee Manila, Phil W 15
Mar 19 Max Mason Iloilo, Phil KO 4
Apr 1 Peter Sarmiento Manila, Phil W 15
Jun 7 Abe Goldstein Jersey City, NJ ND 12
Jul 6 Frankie Genaro Jersey City, NJ ND 12
Jul 19 Battling Murray Averne, NY W 6
Jul 29 Terry Miller Asbury Park, NJ ND 12
Aug 2 Johnny Hepburn New York, NY W 6
Aug 15 Sammy Cohen New York, NY W 8
Aug 22 Frankie Genaro New York, NY L 10
Sep 14 Johnny Buff New York, NY KO 11
-Flyweight Championship of America
Sep 21 Terry Smacka Newark, NJ EX 4
Oct 23 Danny Edwards Boston, Ma W 10
Oct 30 Patsy Wallace Philadelphia, Pa ND 8
Nov 17 Abe Goldstein New York, NY W 15
-Flyweight Championship of America
Nov 27 Young Montreal Boston, Ma W 10
Dec 29 Terry Martin New York, NY W 15
-Flyweight Championship of America

1923
Jan 1 Battling Murray Philadelphia, Pa ND 8
Feb 13 Frankie Mason Boston, Ma KO 5
Feb 20 Jack "Kid" Wolfe Philadelphia, Pa KO 3
Mar 1 Frankie Genaro New York, NY L 15
-Flyweight Championship of America
Mar 19 Young Montreal Philadelphia, Pa ND 8
Mar 24 Willie Darcy Waterbury, Ct W 12
Apr 23 Clarence Rosen Detroit, Mi ND 10
May 11 Battling Murray Chicago, Il ND 10
May 24 Bobby Wolgast Philadelphia, Pa ND 8
Jun 18 Jimmy Wilde New York, NY KO 7
-Flyweight Championship of the World
Jul 20 Abe Friedman Boston, Ma W 10
Jul 31 Kid Williams Philadelphia, Pa ND 8
Aug 22 Jackie Feldman New York, NY KO 3
Sep 8 Charles "Bud" Taylor Chicago, Il ND 10
Sep 24 Tony Thomas Boston, Ma W 10
Oct 13 Benny Schwartz Baltimore, Md W 15
-Flyweight Championship of the World
Oct 22 Jabez White Philadelphia, Pa ND 8
Nov 19 Joey Schwartz Detroit, Mi ND 10
Dec 5 Donnie Mack Toronto, Ont, Can KO 4
Dec 10 Patsy Wallace Philadelphia, Pa ND 8

1924
Jan 1 Tony Norman Pittsburgh, Pa ND 10
Jan 21 Mike Moran Pittsburgh, Pa ND 10
Feb 8 Georgie Marks New York, NY W 15
-Flyweight Championship of the World
Mar 6 Charles "Bud" Taylor Milwaukee, Wi ND 10
Mar 21 Georgie Lee Sacramento, Ca D 4
Mar 22 Billy Bonillas Modesto, Ca W 4
Apr 23 Eddie McKenna Cleveland, Oh ND 10
May 30 Frankie Ash Brooklyn, NY W 15
-Flyweight Championship of the World
Jun 10 Charles "Bud" Taylor New York, NY W 12
Jul 2 Henny Catena West New York, NJ KO 5
Jul 21 Willie Woods Boston, Ma W 10
Jul 28 Battling Murray Atlantic City, NJ ND 6
Aug 18 Amos Carlin New Orleans, La ND 15

1925
Mar 9 Francisco Pilapel Manila, Phil KO 8
May 1 Clever Sencio Manila, Phil W 15
-Flyweight Championship of the World
Jul 4 Jimmy Mclarnin Oakland, Ca L 10

http://rolandobohol.proboards55.com
viewforum.php?f=43
If Pancho was fighting today, he will just be another patsy or trisikad driver, he will even bow to Bert Batawang & Catubay.

_________________
FRESH FISH INSIDE. AND IT'S NOT THE WOMEN.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:04 am 
Offline
Welterweight

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:57 am
Posts: 398
The_Hippie is telling the truth. If Pancho Villa were fighting today, I would say he would be worse than Batawang and Catubay, because he would have been 106 years old today!

But, if he had meant Pancho Villa's abilities pale in comparison to today's boxers, I'd say The_Hippie has just desecrated Pancho Villa's memory and have committed grave and despicable aspersion of such montrous proportions!

Shame on you! Your handle doesn't even fit you. The hippies I know were for love and peace. They've never insult an old man, better yet a dead hero.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:52 am 
Offline
Welterweight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:09 pm
Posts: 346
wow...nice thread...keep em comin!

_________________
Rock on!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:21 am 
Offline
Light Heavyweight

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:50 pm
Posts: 1253
romwald2 wrote:
Thank you grayfist for your great contribution to this thread. It boosts our pride to know that there were other boxing heroes from whose shoulders stand our champion Mannu Pacquiao and other present excellent boxers.

I came across this aticle, "The Origins of Philippine Boxing, 1899-1929", by Joseph R. Svinth and it's been very informative. He wrote about a 20-year old Eddie Duarte, working in an army ship Burnside, laying cables between Valdez, Alaska and San Francisco, took up boxing. His first fight was in Tacoma, WA against and American Indian who is 20 lbs. heavier, but still won the fight. He later on fought in Alaska, Canada and the US. Eddie Duarte eventuallky came home the Philippines as a boxing hero, fought a welter, Antonio Zuzuarrigue, a boxer who was widely popular while Eddie Duarte roamed the world. Despite weighing only 129 lbs., still Eddie Duarte won the fight. In 1916, old and worn out, he lost to a youthful Ramon Sanchez.

http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_svinth_0701.htm

Proud to be Pinoy!
JUst doing my bit, pal.

Yup, the Philippines has a long and proud tradition in the Sweet Science. Sad that most of those great fighters are seldom, if ever, remembered by many.

Not only homegrown Filipinos made it good. There was Dado Marino--World Flyweight Champ and top World Bantamweight contender--who was born in Hawaii but traced his roots back to the Philippines.

The Philippines was also, for a moment, "home" to a great American fighter: Ike "Old Bones" Williams, who often told stories about his pro campaign in the Philippines while serving in the islands with the US Armed Forces. His fights in the Philippines are nowhere to be found in his official records, however, but several Filipino old-timers have corroborated his claim and have asserted that they have seen Williams in Philippine rings, particularly in Manila and Zambales.

A curious note: There was a Mexican who fought in the 1940's who styled himself as, "Kid Filipino." He fought someone whose moniker was "Kid Azteca" 7 times, more or less (perhaps more)! Not exactly Filipino-Mexican rivalry, was that? :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:47 am 
Offline
Light Heavyweight

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:50 pm
Posts: 1253
Glancing at the record of Pancho Villa that is posted here, I saw the name of Clever Sencio and quickly remembered that, like Villa, Sencio had a tragic end to a short but very promising career. Sencio died from injuries sustained in his fight against the Hall of Famer, Bud Taylor. Sencio was reportedly leading as the fight entered the final round, but he was totally spent by then; he was barely able to raise his arms in defense, much less throw a punch, it was said. Taylor hit Sencio's chin with a big shot that sent the Filipino flat on the canvass. Sencio died just days later.

Just a year earlier, Sencio challenged Pancho Villa for the latter's flyweight crown and lost by decision in a fight held in the Philippines. Just two months after that defeat to Villa, Sencio defended his Orient title against Johnny Hill and lost. From then on, he fought at an average of once every 45 days and didn't lose a single fight until Fidel La Barba came along.

Sencio's first meeting with La Barba was a close loss. Three months later, they met again, with Sencio losing again.

A mere 20 days later, Sencio faced Taylor.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:32 am 
Offline
Welterweight

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:57 am
Posts: 398
Yes, grayfist, I've seen that record, too. But the bout between them was held 08/22/1959 in Luis Postoli, Mexico and it was a draw. Both of them are Mexicans, though. It should be noted that, between 1565 to 1815, Philippines and Mexico are under Spain because of the thriving Galleon trade between Manila and Acapulco, many Filipinos were conscripted and forced to work on Spanish trading ships. Many of these Filipinos jumped ship and stayed in Mexico, most of them went north as far as Louisianna and established a Filipino settlement there. Maybe Kid Filipino is a Filipino descendant or just took the monicker to ride on the Filipino's colorful reputation atop the ring during those times.

Speaking of rivalry, there was an American boxer based in Manila, because he was assigned with his regiment in the Philippines, who fought Pancho Villa ten times! His name is Mike Ballerino and he only won just once. This Mike Ballerino eventually went back to the US and won the World Jr. Lightweight title against Vincent "Pepper" Martin on 07/06/1925.

There were a lot of American and Australian boxers who went to the Philippines at the turn of the century. While most boxers during this time are are either soldiers or navymen, these journeymen are boxers hoping to extend their careers a few more years before retiring. The American fighters were: Frank Carbone, George Engle, Frank Haynie, George Lee, Charlie Pitts, Bud Ridley, Bob Roper, and Rufus Turner. Australian counterparts included Vince Blackburne, Lew Edwards, Syd Keenan, Harry Holmes, George Mendies, Paddy Mills, Tommy Ryan, and Billy Tingle. They all fought in the Philippines from 1914 to 1925. Here's what Joseph Svinth has to say about them:

"These fighters were ethnically diverse. For example, George Lee was Chinese American. From the Sacramento area, he was a friend and coach of featherweight contender "Babe" Herman Souza. Meanwhile Turner was African American. Due to the efforts of researcher Kevin Smith, additional details are known of Turner’s career, and so a summary is given below. Turner arrived in the Philippines in July 1914. A competent lightweight who had been boxing professionally since 1893, this was toward the end of his career. In Manila, Turner worked for Churchill as trainer, referee, and occasional main event fighter. Until 1918, his opponents were mostly American or Australian, and included Iron Bux, Sammy Good, Charlie Lanum, Spider McFadden, and Bud Walters. However, starting in 1918, he also began fighting Filipinos, to include Enrique Zuzuarregui on October 4 and Dencio Cabenela on October 19. In 1919 Turner continued fighting a combination of foreign and local talent: Harry Holmes on February 8 and July 12; Sylvino Jamito on June 7; Pug Macarino on November 6; and Francisco Flores on November 29. His last known fight was in Pasay on October 29, 1921; the opponent was Jimmy West, and the result was an 8-round draw.

Of course, Filipino gamblers were generally not interested in watching Americans and Australians fight one another. Furthermore, with the Australian entry into World War I in 1914 and the US mobilizations of 1916, competent Australian and American boxers became increasingly hard to get. So, by 1914 there were Filipino fighters in the preliminaries, and by 1919 there were a number of Filipino main event fighters."

I'd love to exchange information about the Philippine boxing heritage. Few Filipinos know that boxing is already common in the Philippines even before the American occupation. Rizal, Antonio Luna and other Filipino expatriates in Europe learn the art of boxing and eventually introduced the "sweet science" to their kababayans when they went home.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:57 am 
Offline
Light Heavyweight

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:50 pm
Posts: 1253
romwald2 wrote:
Yes, grayfist, I've seen that record, too. But the bout between them was held 08/22/1959 in Luis Postoli, Mexico and it was a draw. Both of them are Mexicans, though. It should be noted that, between 1565 to 1815, Philippines and Mexico are under Spain because of the thriving Galleon trade between Manila and Acapulco, many Filipinos were conscripted and forced to work on Spanish trading ships. Many of these Filipinos jumped ship and stayed in Mexico, most of them went north as far as Louisianna and established a Filipino settlement there. Maybe Kid Filipino is a Filipino descendant or just took the monicker to ride on the Filipino's colorful reputation atop the ring during those times.

Speaking of rivalry, there was an American boxer based in Manila, because he was assigned with his regiment in the Philippines, who fought Pancho Villa ten times! His name is Mike Ballerino and he only won just once. This Mike Ballerino eventually went back to the US and won the World Jr. Lightweight title against Vincent "Pepper" Martin on 07/06/1925.

There were a lot of American and Australian boxers who went to the Philippines at the turn of the century. While most boxers during this time are are either soldiers or navymen, these journeymen are boxers hoping to extend their careers a few more years before retiring. The American fighters were: Frank Carbone, George Engle, Frank Haynie, George Lee, Charlie Pitts, Bud Ridley, Bob Roper, and Rufus Turner. Australian counterparts included Vince Blackburne, Lew Edwards, Syd Keenan, Harry Holmes, George Mendies, Paddy Mills, Tommy Ryan, and Billy Tingle. They all fought in the Philippines from 1914 to 1925. Here's what Joseph Svinth has to say about them:

"These fighters were ethnically diverse. For example, George Lee was Chinese American. From the Sacramento area, he was a friend and coach of featherweight contender "Babe" Herman Souza. Meanwhile Turner was African American. Due to the efforts of researcher Kevin Smith, additional details are known of Turner’s career, and so a summary is given below. Turner arrived in the Philippines in July 1914. A competent lightweight who had been boxing professionally since 1893, this was toward the end of his career. In Manila, Turner worked for Churchill as trainer, referee, and occasional main event fighter. Until 1918, his opponents were mostly American or Australian, and included Iron Bux, Sammy Good, Charlie Lanum, Spider McFadden, and Bud Walters. However, starting in 1918, he also began fighting Filipinos, to include Enrique Zuzuarregui on October 4 and Dencio Cabenela on October 19. In 1919 Turner continued fighting a combination of foreign and local talent: Harry Holmes on February 8 and July 12; Sylvino Jamito on June 7; Pug Macarino on November 6; and Francisco Flores on November 29. His last known fight was in Pasay on October 29, 1921; the opponent was Jimmy West, and the result was an 8-round draw.

Of course, Filipino gamblers were generally not interested in watching Americans and Australians fight one another. Furthermore, with the Australian entry into World War I in 1914 and the US mobilizations of 1916, competent Australian and American boxers became increasingly hard to get. So, by 1914 there were Filipino fighters in the preliminaries, and by 1919 there were a number of Filipino main event fighters."

I'd love to exchange information about the Philippine boxing heritage. Few Filipinos know that boxing is already common in the Philippines even before the American occupation. Rizal, Antonio Luna and other Filipino expatriates in Europe learn the art of boxing and eventually introduced the "sweet science" to their kababayans when they went home.
I think you are referring to the last recorded fight between Kid Filipino and Kid Azteca in 1959. They first met some four years earlier in Mexico City (Kid Filipino lost by 8th round KO). Between '45 and '49 they met at least five more times in such places as Durango, Guadalajara, Tampico... That's why I kidded about it being "not exactly a Filipino-Mexican rivalry." Over their frequent meetings, I think they had more fights that resulted in draws, though I remember reading somewhere of Azteca winning one of them by 4th round KO.

Ballerino, yes. Some newspaper reporters in the US later labeled him, "Manila Typhoon".

You're spot on with regard Filipinos staying in Mexico in the course of what was called the, "Manila-Acapulco Trade". One of the results of Filipinos having been there is that a Filipino, somebody named Rodriguez, is credited for being among the founders of the pueblo, Los Angeles (yes,"LA, LA Land"). He joined close to a dozen Mexicans in that and his name is enshrined in LA's official history.

"Old Bones", I think, was stationed in the Philippines soon before or after WWII. He's a Johnny-come-lately compared to the fellas you mentioned, but he's the guy that come's quickly to mind because he's in the Hall in Canastota.

Yup, I heard that Rizal and the Luna brothers were not only adept in fencing but were pretty good with their fists too (whether gloved or bare). I heard too that one of the Lunas challenged Rizal to a duel... over some woman, I think, it was....? Whatever is the truth about that? :)

I too am interested in exchanging historical notes but I'm afraid it won't be a fair arrangement. I don't have much to send to anybody... :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:13 am 
Offline
Welterweight

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:57 am
Posts: 398
Grayfist, I can see that your based in LA, right? I'm here in San Francisco Bay area. Lots of Filipino fighters in the 1920's fought in the Golden State, specifically Modesto, Freson and Bakersfield areas. I'd love to browse newspapers archives to research on those fights. But time will not permit me nowadays. I'll have to make time for that in the future. Nice meeting you here, pal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:19 am 
Offline
Light Heavyweight

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:50 pm
Posts: 1253
romwald2 wrote:
Grayfist, I can see that your based in LA, right? I'm here in San Francisco Bay area. Lots of Filipino fighters in the 1920's fought in the Golden State, specifically Modesto, Freson and Bakersfield areas. I'd love to browse newspapers archives to research on those fights. But time will not permit me nowadays. I'll have to make time for that in the future. Nice meeting you here, pal.
I go home east, buddy. But I'm now here in PI in one of my frequent visits.

Correction on the Kid Filipino-Kid Azteca "feud": it lasted over 12 years not 4! They first met in '46 and their last meeting was in '59. Sorry...my mistake.

Good meeting you too, pal! Have a good one!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:53 am 
Offline
Welterweight
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:52 pm
Posts: 411
THE_HIPPIE wrote:
CHAMP wrote:
Pancho Villa
(Francisco Guilledo)
Villa was an explosive and relentless fighter who hit hard with both fists, fighting in the fashion of a "miniature" Jack Dempsey. Many consider him to be the greatest Asian fighter ever. Among those he defeated were Johnny Buff, Abe Goldstein, Terry Martin, Jimmy Wilde, Benny Schwartz, Georgie Marks, Bud Taylor, and Clever Sencio

Villa died of blood poisoning from an infected tooth 10 days after his last fight. Both Nat Fleischer and Charley Rose ranked Villa as the #2 All-Time Flyweight; He was elected to the Ring Boxing Hall of Fame in 1961 and International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1994.
BORN: August 1 1901; Iloilo, Phillipines
DIED: July 14 1925; San Francisco, California (blood poisoning)

HEIGHT : 5-1 WEIGHT : 109-115 lbs MANAGER : Frank Churchill

1919
Kid Castro Manila, Phil W 4
Terry Pandong Manila, Phil W 4
Kid Cortez Manila, Phil W 4
Pedro Alberto Manila, Phil W 4
Young Edwards Manila, Phil W 4
Alberto Castro Manila, Phil KO 3
Cesareo Siguion Manila, Phil KO 2
Young Duarte Manila, Phil W 4
Jamie Desiderio Manila, Phil KO 2
Kid Elino Manila, Phil W 4
Kid Moro Manila, Phil KO 2
Jose de la Cruz Manila, Phil W 4
Pedro Olongapo Manila, Phil W 4
Jose Mendoza Manila, Phil KO 2
Baguio Bearcat Manila, Phil W 4
Baguio Bearcat Manila, Phil W 4
-Some sources report the previous 3 bouts held during 1919

1920
Pedro Capitan Manila, Phil KO 4
Frisco Concepcion Manila, Phil L 4
Kid Castro Manila, Phil W 6
Salvador Santo Tomas Manila, Phil KO 2
Big Cortez Manila, Phil ND 6
Jose de la Cruz Manila, Phil W 6
Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil W 6
Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil W 6
Juan Candelaria Manila, Phil W 6
Kid Cortez Manila, Phil W 6
Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil ND 6
Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil ND 6
Stiff Irineo Manila, Phil W 6

1921
Jan 10 Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil D 15
Jan 23 Juan Candelaria Manila, Phil KO 4
Feb 7 Kid Moro Manila, Phil KO 3
Feb 21 Terry Pandong Manila, Phil W 8
Mar 5 Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil W 10
Mar 26 Young Santos Manila, Phil KO 7
Apr 10 Kid Garcia Manila, Phil W 8
Apr 24 Stiff Irineo Manila, Phil KO 2
May 8 Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil W 15
May 22 Knockout Lewis Manila, Phil KO 4
Jun 6 Pedro Alberto Manila, Phil W 8
Jun 20 Leoncio Bernabe Manila, Phil D 6
Jul 11 Young Modejar Manila, Phil W 6
Jul 25 Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil D 15
Aug 9 Eddie Moore Manila, Phil LF 10
Aug 23 Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil W 20
Sep 7 Syd Keenan Manila, Phil W 8
Sep 21 Leoncio Barnabe Manila, Phil W 8
Oct 5 Mike Ballerino Manila, Phil W 20
Oct 19 Kid Aguila Manila, Phil W 8
Nov 3 Cowboy Reyes Manila, Phil W 15
Nov 10 Kid Aguila Manila, Phil W 8
Nov 17 Kid Garcia Manila, Phil W 8
Dec 8 George Mendies Manila, Phil KO 3
Dec 15 Jimmy Taylor Manila, Phil W 8
Dec 29 Battling Ongay Manila, Phil KO 1

1922
Jan 12 Kid Abayan Manila, Phil W 8
Feb 12 Georgie Lee Manila, Phil W 15
Mar 19 Max Mason Iloilo, Phil KO 4
Apr 1 Peter Sarmiento Manila, Phil W 15
Jun 7 Abe Goldstein Jersey City, NJ ND 12
Jul 6 Frankie Genaro Jersey City, NJ ND 12
Jul 19 Battling Murray Averne, NY W 6
Jul 29 Terry Miller Asbury Park, NJ ND 12
Aug 2 Johnny Hepburn New York, NY W 6
Aug 15 Sammy Cohen New York, NY W 8
Aug 22 Frankie Genaro New York, NY L 10
Sep 14 Johnny Buff New York, NY KO 11
-Flyweight Championship of America
Sep 21 Terry Smacka Newark, NJ EX 4
Oct 23 Danny Edwards Boston, Ma W 10
Oct 30 Patsy Wallace Philadelphia, Pa ND 8
Nov 17 Abe Goldstein New York, NY W 15
-Flyweight Championship of America
Nov 27 Young Montreal Boston, Ma W 10
Dec 29 Terry Martin New York, NY W 15
-Flyweight Championship of America

1923
Jan 1 Battling Murray Philadelphia, Pa ND 8
Feb 13 Frankie Mason Boston, Ma KO 5
Feb 20 Jack "Kid" Wolfe Philadelphia, Pa KO 3
Mar 1 Frankie Genaro New York, NY L 15
-Flyweight Championship of America
Mar 19 Young Montreal Philadelphia, Pa ND 8
Mar 24 Willie Darcy Waterbury, Ct W 12
Apr 23 Clarence Rosen Detroit, Mi ND 10
May 11 Battling Murray Chicago, Il ND 10
May 24 Bobby Wolgast Philadelphia, Pa ND 8
Jun 18 Jimmy Wilde New York, NY KO 7
-Flyweight Championship of the World
Jul 20 Abe Friedman Boston, Ma W 10
Jul 31 Kid Williams Philadelphia, Pa ND 8
Aug 22 Jackie Feldman New York, NY KO 3
Sep 8 Charles "Bud" Taylor Chicago, Il ND 10
Sep 24 Tony Thomas Boston, Ma W 10
Oct 13 Benny Schwartz Baltimore, Md W 15
-Flyweight Championship of the World
Oct 22 Jabez White Philadelphia, Pa ND 8
Nov 19 Joey Schwartz Detroit, Mi ND 10
Dec 5 Donnie Mack Toronto, Ont, Can KO 4
Dec 10 Patsy Wallace Philadelphia, Pa ND 8

1924
Jan 1 Tony Norman Pittsburgh, Pa ND 10
Jan 21 Mike Moran Pittsburgh, Pa ND 10
Feb 8 Georgie Marks New York, NY W 15
-Flyweight Championship of the World
Mar 6 Charles "Bud" Taylor Milwaukee, Wi ND 10
Mar 21 Georgie Lee Sacramento, Ca D 4
Mar 22 Billy Bonillas Modesto, Ca W 4
Apr 23 Eddie McKenna Cleveland, Oh ND 10
May 30 Frankie Ash Brooklyn, NY W 15
-Flyweight Championship of the World
Jun 10 Charles "Bud" Taylor New York, NY W 12
Jul 2 Henny Catena West New York, NJ KO 5
Jul 21 Willie Woods Boston, Ma W 10
Jul 28 Battling Murray Atlantic City, NJ ND 6
Aug 18 Amos Carlin New Orleans, La ND 15

1925
Mar 9 Francisco Pilapel Manila, Phil KO 8
May 1 Clever Sencio Manila, Phil W 15
-Flyweight Championship of the World
Jul 4 Jimmy Mclarnin Oakland, Ca L 10

http://rolandobohol.proboards55.com
viewforum.php?f=43
If Pancho was fighting today, he will just be another patsy or trisikad driver, he will even bow to Bert Batawang & Catubay.


If Bob Cousy were in the NBA today he'll be one big joke. However, he is a legend just like Pancho Villa. Sheez why'd I even bother to reply to this.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:08 pm 
Offline
Cruiserweight
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:30 pm
Posts: 2176
Location: S. Korea
:) :) :) The good old day's of boxing. It makes me wonder though how this boxers condition themselves.
How's their nutrition? Do they take vitamins or some kind of pills to help them in their conditioning?
Take Pancho Villa, from a few fight films that i saw about him he seems not to tire and moves like a whirlwind, non stop. This boxers probably are just gifted by the way they fight or maybe a genetic gift to the filipino boxers of yester years, inborne stamina and power.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:24 pm 
Offline
Light Heavyweight

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:50 pm
Posts: 1253
red dog wrote:
:) :) :) The good old day's of boxing. It makes me wonder though how this boxers condition themselves.
How's their nutrition? Do they take vitamins or some kind of pills to help them in their conditioning?
Take Pancho Villa, from a few fight films that i saw about him he seems not to tire and moves like a whirlwind, non stop. This boxers probably are just gifted by the way they fight or maybe a genetic gift to the filipino boxers of yester years, inborne stamina and power.
Yeah. One cannot help but be amazed.

In 1923, for instance, Villa fought an incredible 20 times. And not all of those were easy outings. In that period, he faced Frankie Genaro,Jimmy Wilde, Bud TAylor,Abe Goldestein (who later became World Bantamweight champ--NYSAC), the up to then undefeated Clarence Rosen, among others.

And to think that Villa was well known to have worked the bars of NY between fights!

Just mind-boggling.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

philboxing.com | pinoygreats.com
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group