Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 1:18 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:42 pm 
Heavyweight

Location: Rizal :: PB-0492 :: B-2009 :: Puyaters :: πβλ :: ΤΓΦ / TΓΣ
WPM Day 3 As it happens

FINAL - DENNIS ORCOLLO 5-8 RALF SOUQUET (FIRST TO EIGHT)

RESULT

DENNIS ORCOLLO 8-4 FU JIAN-BO, RALF SOUQUET 8-7 DARREN APPLETON (FIRST TO EIGHT)

8.35pm: Souquet downs the final 9-ball and screams out in excitement as he wins the title for the sixth time.

8.34pm: IT IS ALL OVER!!! SOUQUET WINS 8-5

8.33pm: Souquet's break is nailed perfectly and Dennis knows it. This should be all over.

8.32pm: Souquet was 6-2 behind in his semi-final, he was 5-3 behind in the final but he has just taken his fourth on the spin to move to the hill, one rack away from his sixth World Pool Masters title.

8.28pm: The next rack takes a bit of time but Souquet won't mind that at all. He moves ahead for the first time in 45 minutes.

8.13pm: Neither player spends much time in their seats as most breaks are illegal or dry. But Orcollo's later jump on the red 3 gets no rewards and Souquet, 5-3 behind a few minutes ago, makes it 5-5.

8.12pm: Orcollo tries to nestle the cue-ball in behind the 9-ball but it rolls one too many times and leaves open the 2-ball. Souquet pots the rest for 5-4.

8.11pm: Orcollo goes for a bit more oomph off his break in the next and sees the 1-ball go down and a potential 2-9 combination appears on the cards, until the 8-ball, like an unwanted guest at a party, gets in the way.

8.10pm: Bang. Nailed it. Orcollo perfects his break and soon opens up a two-rack advantage, the first time either man had been two ahead in the final. 5-3 to Orcollo.

8.05pm: Neither player is having much luck on the break. This time Souquet's effort is no good and possession is handed over to Orcollo, who hoovers up the damage to make it 4-3.

8.02pm: An illegal break brings Souquet back in action he capitalises and it's 3-3. Who is going to win this? I haven't got a clue!

7.52pm: Orcollo, forced into making a tricky one-rail safety, leaves the 6-ball on and Souquet looks on course, until he tries to pot the 9-ball with his left hand... and misses. The crowd go made, Orcollo gets a reprieve and wins the rack.

7.48pm: Just when I say it's a high-quality final follows the scrappiest rack so far. Souquet fouls, Orcollo misses the two-ball, Souquet leaves the same ball on after an overhit rash safety and Orcollo then misses another attempt, this time at the pink 4.

7.44pm: It's going to be a close one. Souquet loses the table and Orcollo makes it 2-2. High quality final and very tense. Don't go anywhere.

7.36pm: Orcollo gains possession of the table but a shock miss on the orange five, maybe one of the worst shots he has played in this whole tournament, helps Souquet take the lead by two racks to one.

7.34pm: But Souquet soon pulls it back as Orcollo makes an illegal break and also fouls just for good measure.

7.30pm: It's a good start from the home man. Orcollo breezes through the opener. Souquet finds himself behind again.

7.29pm: Dennis Orcollo has the hopes of a nation resting on his shoulders and is aiming to become the first man to win the event in two consecutive years. Ralf Souquet is hoping to win the title for a sixth time. It will be a record-breaking night whatever happens in Manila.

7.28pm: It's time for the final.

QUOTES RALF SOUQUET (GERMANY): "I'm overwhelmed. Being 6-2 down in winners' break and race to eight is a big deficit and you have to hope he makes mistakes.

"He played awesome and did everything right at the beginning of the match and I did everything wrong.

"He played perfectly and I was just hoping for a chance to let my game out but eventually, luckily, he gave me a chance to get back to the table.

"You just have to believe in yourself and stay focused on playing the game. If you are at the table then he can't do anything and I knew as long I was at the table I had a chance.

"There will be history made no matter what as I'm aiming to become the first six-time winner and Dennis is hoping to be first back-to-back winner.

"Playing him in front of his home crowd makes it even tougher but I'm looking forward to it."

6.02pm: An incredible recovery from Souquet who was 6-2 and 7-4 behind. But he holds his nerve to seal a place in the final. Appleton looks furious and rightly so, but Souquet played flawlessly when he needed to and showed fantastic strength of character to win.

5.57pm: A knowledgeable crowd applaud a decent break from Souquet that sees the 1-ball go and there's a chance at the 2-ball. Appleton was 6-2 and 7-4 ahead but is staring down the barrel now.

5.53pm: Souquet's break is no good and Appleton gets in. But there's another twist. Cometh the hour, cometh the man. Souquet's stunning two-rail escape knocks in the 4-ball when a miss would've put him out of the tournament. Superb at playing under the pressure is Mr Ralf. Dennis Orcollo will play, well we don't know yet. Hill-hill. One-frame shootout for a place in the final.

5.48pm: It's getting interesting now. Souquet nails a perfect break and there's a shot on the one. Darren is left waiting longer for a chance to win the match. Souquet runs it out and it's now 7-6.

5.43pm: But Souquet isn't going down without a fight. He shows his normal steely resolve as he battles through the 12th, including a bank shot on the 5-ball. 5-7.

5.30pm: Every time Souquet looks like he is fighting back, Appleton squashes the recovery. Souquet moves through to take the tenth and make it 6-4 but Appleton immediately responds by taking the next to restore his three-rack advantage and sits on the hill.

5.15pm: Souquet 3, Appleton 6.

5.11pm: A one-rail escape shot from Appleton leaves the 1-ball out in the open and this could be what Souquet is looking for.

5.09pm: Appleton rolls in the 9-ball. He leads 6-2. It's been a day where Souquet should've stayed in bed so far.

5.05pm: The Kaiser is far from his best but squeezes the 1-ball into the corner pocker after bouncing off the red 3 and the rail. That leads to him taking the rack but he loses any momentum when he misses the 1-ball in the next.

5.01pm: Don't forget the World Cup of Pool starts tomorrow and we have some of the stars of the pool world are watching on in the crowd. Tony Drago (Malta), David Alcaide (Spain), Thorsten Hohmann (Germany), Chris Melling (England) are among those watching on.

4.59pm: Souquet, normally the most calm and composed player, has his head bowed looking miserable after he gifts Appleton ball-in-hand after missing the red 3. Appleton is not missing many and stick on a tight safety game and that's why he looks to be heading to the final.

4.56pm: Appleton pots a long 1 and shows him jumping prowess to down the 2-ball, but misses the 3-ball so Souquet leaves it tight on the bottom rail.

4.53pm: Get yourself comfortable this rack is not going anywhere for a while. Appleton pushes out and Souquet prepares to battle in the art of safety. We may be here for some time.

4.44pm: Souquet slumps back to his chair as he lets in Appleton. Souquet remains stone-faced as Darren clinches another rack and moves a step closer to glory. His 3-9 combination gives him a 4-1 advantage.

4.35pm: Appleton runs out the third but lets in Souquet who gets off the mark by making it 3-1.

4.30pm: The second semi-final is between Ralf Souquet and Darren Appleton and it's a cracking start from Appleton. Souquet's dry break lets him in and the Englishman takes the opener. After a safety exchange, Souquet misses with a two-rail escape to hit the target and it's 2-0.

QUOTES: DENNIS ORCOLLO (PHILIPPINES): "I used the soft break but I have to use more speed in the final.

"I was a bit nervous as I've never beaten him before. He has beaten me twice before so I had to be strong and play well.

"The crowd make a lot of noise but the only thing I can do is focus on the game and now I'm playing in the final so I'm happy."

4.07pm: The finish line is in sight now. Fu scratches off the break and Orcollo, a winner last year, returns to the final with an 8-4 victory.

4.03pm: Orcollo leaves the 6-ball on and Fu rolls it into the side pocket to make it 7-4.

3.59pm: The fightback ends a bit too quickly for our likely. Fu makes an illegal break and a 3-9 combination takes Orcollo to the hill.

3.56pm: Fu runs out the ninth. 6-3 is the scoreline.

3.53pm: The fightback is on! Fu calmly moves through the balls to claim his second of the day.

3.51pm: An illegal break from Orcollo and Fu, the ultimate athlete who lists smoking and drinking among his hobbies, walks to the table with great intent.

3.49pm: Easy. Easy. Orcollo storms through the seventh from the break and it's 6-1. This one looks done already.

3.47pm: A slow break from Fu is an illegal one but, to be honest, that's what it deserved. Give it a smash man! Orcollo banks the 2-ball and from then on it's only moments before it is 5-1.

3.42pm: A lucky jump shot to down the 2-ball could be the fortunate break Fu needs. That enables him to avoid the humilation of a whitewash. 4-1.

3.38pm: A loose safety from the Chinese leaves open a 7-9 combination and Orcollo makes it to win the rack and make it 4-0.

3.31pm: Fu's jump shot on the 1-ball stays out Orcollo marches through the rack, including a show-stopping behind the back shot, to rub salt into the widing wound. 3-0 to the Filipino.

3.24pm: A blistering start from Orcollo, who won his previous two matches by 8-2 and 8-1 scorelines. He wins the lag and runs out the first and then quickly jumps all over Fu's mistake when he left the blue 2 on. Orcollo makes it 2-0.

Pinoygreats.com - Ang website na walang inuurungan.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:43 pm 
Heavyweight

Souquet wins Masters for the sixth time

Ralf Souquet has won the PartyPoker.net World Pool Masters for a record-breaking sixth time.

Germany's Souquet, who last lifted the trophy in 2006, fought back from 5-3 behind to defeat Filipino Dennis Orcollo 8-5 in the final at the SM City North EDSA mall in Manila, Philippines.

Souquet said: "It seems to be my tournament for whatever reason. I've made the final eight times and won six and lost twice.

"The Matchroom events are the greatest in the world and it's not only a dream come true but also the icing on the cake to win it here in the Philippines.

"It's the fifth final I've played in in the Philipiines but the first time I've won one.

"At the Masters you are playing 15 of the greatest players in the world and it's very tough from the first round on and you have to play at 100 per cent and if you can't do that then you won't win.

"I could've lost all of my matches and the final was my biggest winning margin as I won 8-7, 8-6, 8-7 and then 8-5.

"The Philippines is the country of pool and it's where the sport is such a big thing, it's the number one or two sport here. There are so many great players like Efren Reyes, Francisco Bustamante, Dennis Orcollo, Roberto Gomez and I could go on. It's just so tough to win a tournament here.

"But it's so great here as you have so many great fans that love the sport and the players are treated the way they should be."

It was announced that Souquet gets the trophy to keep and he collected his sixth victory after beating Mika Immonen 8-7, Lee Vann Corteza 8-6, Darren Appleton 8-7 and then Orcollo 8-5.

The first four racks were shared before Souquet took a scrappy fifth that saw Souquet foul, Orcollo miss the two-ball, Souquet leave the same ball on after an overhit rash safety and Orcollo then miss at the pink 4 before Souquet claimed it for a 3-2 lead.

Orcollo then won three consecutive racks to hold a 5-3 advantage but Souquet found his form and took five in a row to seal another magnificient fightback and another victory.

The Final
Ralf Souquet (GER) 8 - 5 Dennis Orcollo (PHI)
Winner receives $20,000, runner-up receives $10,000

Semi Finals Results
Dennis Orcollo (PHI) 8 - 4 Fu Jianbo (CHN)
Ralf Souquet (GER) 8 - 7 Darren Appleton (ENG)
Losers receive $4,000

Quarter Finals Results
Ralf Souquet (GER) 8 - 6 Lee Van Corteza (PHI)
Darren Appleton (ENG) 8 - 4 Raj Hundal (IND)
Dennis Orcollo (PHI) 8 - 1 Chang Jung-lin (TPE)
Fu Jianbo (CHN) 8 - 5 Jason Klatt (CAN)
Losers receive $3,000

Round 1 Results
Ralf Souquet (GER) 8 - 7 Mika Immonen (FIN)
Darren Appleton (ENG) 8 - 5 Efren Reyes (PHI)
Jason Klatt (CAN) 8 - 3 Francisco Bustamante (PHI)
Lee Van Corteza (PHI) 8 - 7 Huidji See (HOL)
Fu Jianbo (CHN) 8 - 4 Chris Melling (ENG)
Raj Hundal (IND) 8 - 3 Yukio Akagariyama (JAP)
Dennis Orcollo (PHI) 8 - 2 Tony Drago (MAL)
Chang Jung-lin (TPE) 8 - 3 Shane Van Boening (USA)
Losers receive $2,000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:40 am 
Heavyweight

eysha wrote:
^
ralf souquet won.. :)
world cup of pool naman.. :D

Thanks sa update BM ... :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:44 am 
Middleweight

Souquet beat Orcullo in the finals.....very luck old guy but we always prove to the world that we are great in this sports....and we will dominate.

PacquiaoUpdates

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:07 am 
Heavyweight

Tech_Bong wrote:
Souquet beat Orcullo in the finals.....very luck old guy but we always prove to the world that we are great in this sports....and we will dominate.

PacquiaoUpdates

Bukas bawi tayo Bro ...
Strat na ng World Cup of Pool ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:39 am 
Heavyweight

Tech_Bong wrote:

PacquiaoUpdates

orcullo is a bum :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:16 am 
Heavyweight

WCOP Day 1 - As it happens
06 Sep 2011
Team Sweden. Picture Carina Altomone

NOTE - THIS PAGE DOES NOT UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY

LATEST: PHILIPPINES B 8-4 KUWAIT (FIRST TO EIGHT)

RESULTS: CHINA 4-8 SWITZERLAND, INDONESIA 7-8 SWEDEN, SPAIN 5-8 KOREA, JAPAN 8-3 CROATIA, FINLAND 7-8 INDIA

9.20pm: It's all over. Philippines B win 8-4. A fine Bustamante cut in on the 1-ball helps them to the last rack.

9.15pm: It is certainly not a vintage performance from Reyes and Bustamante but they are doing enough. Against better opponents they may be struggling but Kuwait can't stay at the table for long and the hosts go to 7-4.

9.07pm: It should be 7-3 with the Philippines on the hill but Bustamante misses an effort on the 5-ball that rattles around but does not drop. Omar al Shaheen responds with a fine jump shot to pocket the 5-ball before then disposing of the 9-ball. 6-4 to the hosts.

8.55pm: Philippines move 5-3 ahead before a fine shot from Reyes to remove a problem 2-ball helps them take the next and with a 6-3 lead in a race to eight, this one looks all over.

8.42pm: Normal service is resumed as Philippines restore their two-rack lead by taking the next two, although Kuwait win their third of the day and it's a creditable performance from the World Cup of Pool newcomers.

8.28pm: Could we be witnessing a huge upset? Kuwait claim the third rack and also the fourth to pull it back to 2-2. Not many people gave them a chance before the match.

8.15pm: Both teams have shirts that closely resemble their national flags but the first two racks go as expected to Reyes and Bustamante. The legends are enjoying themselves and the fans are too with cheers and flags waved after every shot and rack won.

8.10pm: Now comes the match the home fans want to see. If Efren Reyes and Francisco Bustamante, the Philippines B team and two-time winners of this tournament, lose to the Kuwait pair of Omar Al Shaheen and Khaled Al Mutaira then it would be the single greatest upset in the tournament's history.

QUOTES FROM TEAM INDIA: Raj Hundal: "I'm not sure that the wheels came off when we were leading but there's a lot of pressure out there. Petri missed a 9-ball by a country mile and fluked it but that's pool.

"Amar missed a 3-ball that was a bit uncharacteristic but we got there in the end."

Amar Kang: "There was a lot of pressure in the first few games and I just tried to settle down but I enjoyed it all."

8.00pm: India get the table back and finally finish off the job. This match should never have been so close but India finally seal a victory by an 8-7 scoreline.

7.56pm: They don't deserve to be level but after some outrageous luck Finland find themselves at 7-7. They run out the 14th but even then it relies on Immonen to get them out of trouble after Makkonen over-hits the pot from 8 to 9.

7.52pm: Outrageous luck from Finland. Makkonen's attempt at the 9-ball is rash and misses badly, the 9-ball bounces off the opposite side rail and heads diagonally down the table. It only just has the legs to creep into the pocket. One roll left and it would've been hanging over the pocket for the victory for India. But instead it is 7-6.

7.47pm: India are making hard work of this. With them needing three balls for the victory, India lose position and have to play safe. Makkonen produces his best shot of the match with a table-length ball to get rid of the 7-ball.

7.41pm: Kang's miss on the red three extends the match after it had looked over following Makkonen's failure to put the same ball away. Finland take the score on to 7-5.

7.37pm: It will be one of the most remarkable comebacks in the history of the competition if Finland can pull it out. Hundal's foul to give them ball-in-hand keeps them alive but only just. Immonen and Makkonen at least make the scoreline a bit more respectable at 7-4.

7.27pm: Immonen had been the solid player for Finland but when he starts missing as well it shows they are in great trouble. The effort on the brown 7 stays out and India move to the hill.

7.24pm: It's a World Cup of Pool game to forget for Makkonen. He scratches and yet again India capitalise. They inch another closer to victory.

7.18pm: A dry break from Hundal ends with Immonen downing the 9-ball but they still have a huge amount to do. 5-2 to India, but it is then 5-3.

7.11pm: A fine pot on the pink 4 from Kang gets India going but they have a slice of luck as Hundal misses the orange 5 but leaves it on the rail. Immonen later tries to escape from a tough snooker but can only leave the same ball on and it is now 5-1.

7.03pm: Finland claim a confidence-building first rack of the match, but they still trail 4-1.

6.55pm: It's a horror show from World Cup of Pool debutant Makkonen as he makes his third mistake in as many racks and team-mate Mika Immonen is not impressed. India move 4-0 ahead and Finland, seeded 12th, could be the next seeds to fall at the first hurdle.

6.45pm: AK 47 Amar Kang rifles home the 9-ball as India shoot their way to a 3-0 lead. The chance came after a Makkonen foul gave India ball-in-hand.

6.42: A miss from the mohicaned Petri Makkonen on the 5-ball gives the Indians a chance and they move 2-0 ahead as they aim for their first ever World Cup of Pool victory.

6.40pm: India take the opener.

6.35pm: A spectacular entrance from India sees a female model walking the Indian pair in and throwing rose petals in front of them as traditional India music is played.

6.20pm: Next up is Finland v India. And the Indians may have the prize for the best dressed team wrapped up. Raj Hundal and team-mate Amar Kang are in black polo shirts but on the back has their nicknames - Hitman and AK 47 - in sparkling letters along with a sparkling map of India, divided into three coloured thirds. The top third is orange, the second is silver and the third is green. If their play is as sharp as their clothes then Finland are in trouble.

6.13pm: Dalmatin misses a tough 1-ball and that is his side's last shot of the tournament. After a bright start, Croatia were overcome by an impressive Japanese duo, who win 8-3.

6.06pm: The frustration is showing from the Croatians. Ivica Putnik throws his arms in the air when he runs out of position and his team-mate Karlo Dalmatin then misses the tricky jump shot on the 2-ball. Japan are in again and move to the hill at 7-3.

6.03pm: A 7-9 combination from Lo Li-wen puts Japan back on track and takes them to a 6-3 advantage.

5.57pm: A combination from the Croatians wins them a rack, the first one they have won in six.

5.52pm: Another one in the book for Japan. Beginning to look easy for them as both players have found their game.

5.45pm: It was a shaky start from Japan, the ninth seeds, but a 7-9 combination from current World 9-Ball Champion Yukia Akagariyama makes it 4-2 as they take their fourth rack on the bounce.

5.43pm: Croatia move 2-0 ahead as Japan aim to become the first seeded team to avoid defeat. The Asian side fight back well to take the next three and lead 3-2.

5.40pm: The next match is between Japan's Lo Li-wen and Yukio Akagariyama and Croatia's Ivica Putnik and Karlo Dalmatin.

5.13pm: The Spanish reprieve does not last long. About three minutes to be exact. Yong makes up for his earlier error by downing the 9-ball and Korea win 8-5. Spain become the third seeded team out.

5.10pm: Spain are hanging on, but only just. A Spanish foul gives the Korean's a sight of victory but Yong dogs an effort at the green six, with Korea four balls from the finish line. Spain take the lifeline and extend the match by another rack.

4.59pm: Lee rolls the 9-ball into the side pocket and Korea on the hill. It's been a day of shocks so far. And the eight seeds are in desperate trouble.

4.54pm: Diaz fouls when he clips the 8-ball when trying to get out of a safety. Korea inch closer to another shock win. 6-4.

4.45pm: The touching of the fists mean that Spain have clawed another one back. They get in after an awful attempt on the red three by Lee Gun Jae. I'd like to tell you what he planned but it was so bad I don't know where to start.

4.38pm: Diaz scratches off of an ambitious jump shot and Korea go three ahead, but Spain immediately pull one back.

4.26pm: The Koreans leave a sighter at the 2-ball and that is the chance Spain need to get back into the match. They win their first rack since the match opener but are still behind 4-2.

4.20pm: It's high-fives all round from the Koreans as Yong makes the easiest 9-ball possible and unfancied Korea are 4-1 one and another seeded team are in trouble.

4.14pm: It should be 2-2 after Hwang Yong's slow-rolled eight-ball down the side-rail stays out, but Diaz scratches off the next shot and Korea, surprised at the opportunity move two ahead.

4.09pm: The Korean duo run out the second rack from the break to lead 2-1.

3.59pm: Diaz's error in failing to pot the 6-ball lets in Korea and they win their first rack of the day.

3.55pm: Spain are represented by David Alcaide and Francisco Diaz, while the Korean team features Lee Gun Jae and Hwang Yong. It's a good start for the Europeans as they take the first.

3.54pm: Two seeded teams - China (1) and Indonesia (16) have already been eliminated as the top half of the draw has really opened up. Spain, the eighth seeds, are next in action and take on Korea.

QUOTES - MARCUS CHAMAT (SWEDEN): "At 5-1 down we weren't thinking we were out but just wanted to see what we could do.

"But then we missed an easy 9-ball and then thought we would be losing if we kept making these mistakes.

"I'm relieved to get through but we have a day's rest and hopefully Thomas and I can practice and get some groove into our game.

"But if we play like this again then we will be flying home soon.

"Last year we had a good game with the Americans so I know what we're capable of."

3.19: Chamat may be small but he has one of the biggest hearts in the game. He pumps his fist as he downs the 2 ball and keeps position, but he faces a very tough long pot on the 6 ball which elicits another fist pump. The 8 goes down before Chamat deposits the 9 ball for the victory. Mehtala looks shell-shocked at the end but he played his part in a great comeback victory.

3.12: Mehtala delivers a decent break shot with a ball down and two others past the headstring. Every ball is hard now under this kind of pressure as Chamat tries to steady his team mate. Fair play to Mehtala as he banishes the memory of his previous gaffs and leaves Marcus a decent 9 ball to finish. It's the first break and run of the match. 7-7.

3.10: Sweden must win the next three racks to stay in the competition. They gain a ball in hand opportunity and hang in there to run it out. Now they're just one behind at 7-6.

3.00: Another howler from Mehtala, as he misses the 8 ball uptable looks to be the Swedes undoing but the Indonesians failed to take advantage. To cap a disastrous afternoon for the Swedish chef, he misses a cut on the 9 ball, and Setiwan banks it to take his team to the hill. 7-5.

2.52: There's a lot at stake here and as a consequence the match slows right down. they bat the 4 ball around the rails for over five minutes before the Indonesians crack and Chamat pockets it. They run the next three balls to get right back in it. 6-5.

2.43: Just on the brink of levelling it, Mehtala makes a howler as he screws the cue ball off the 9 and into the middle pocket with just three balls left on table. Instead of 5-5 it's 6-4 to the Indonesians.

2.30: It's push out time in the next and the Indonesians give away another ball in hand as they miss the 1 ball completely. They exchange safeties before Chamat pulls another big jump shot out the bag to set up the run out. They're a bundle of nerves but they hang on to make it and get right back in the match at 5-4 down.

2.19: The Swedish win the next but it's beginning to look a big ask. However, a ball in hand opportunity in the next, the Swedes take their second rack in a row to reduce the deficit to two racks.

2.14. And another! The Indonesian pair amble around the table without a care in the world but their potting and positional play is outstanding. 5-1.

2.08: Illegal break from Chamat as despite potting the 1 ball, he didn't manage to make two further balls cross the headstring. That was all Setiawan and Nasution needed as they restored their three rack lead. 4-1.

2.03: The Indonesian pair are having none of this fancy cut break nonsense as they give it a crack with the big stick. However, an unforced error gives the table back to the Swedes. Mehtala, who by day is a top chef, cooks up some tasty pots along with Chamat to open their account.

1.56: Chamat plays an outstanding jump-shot to pocket the blue 2 but his partners attempt to do the same on the 3 ball leaves it on for the Indonesians. From there they make it look a walk in the park as they clear up for 3-0.

1.48: 2-0. These two youngsters from Indonesia certainly look nerveless.

1.45: Next up are the Swedish veterans of Marcus Chamat and Thomas Mehtala against the young Indonesian duo of Irsal Nasution and Riyan Setiawan and it's the Indonesians who take the first following a dry break from Mehtala.

QUOTES FROM TEAM SWITZERLAND: "We're both players who can beat anybody if we have a good day and we also have a good team spirit. We're a small country but there have always been good players from Switzerland. It's unbelievable to beat China and we can play good and win the tournament. But until now we've not a chance to show our game and we're very happy to have taken our chance," said Jungo.

Regli commented, "For me I always wished to get a good team in the first round but it doesn't really matter if you get China, Philippines or Sweden. It feels amazing and it was a dream of mine to play in a big event here in the Philippines. The last time I was here was 11 years ago but I've never played here before."

1.26: It's a dry break from Jungo but the 1 ball is obscured down table. The Chinese put them back in and Ronni R pushes out but Li makes a mess of his safety, double kissing the 1 ball and leaving it on. It's a clustered table though as the Swiss ride their luck and nothing is easy as they set their sights on victory. Regli though stiffs it for position from 6 to 7 and it looks on. No mistakes and what a performance from Jungo and Regli as they upset the defending champions 8-4 and become the first team into the second round.

1.21: Get in! Regli and Jungo sweep the table clear to reach the hill at 7-4.

1.13: Li pushes out by potting the 6 ball and leaves no more than safety option for the Swiss. Jungo though messes it up and leaves the 1 ball on. An out of sorts Fu, though, misses the 3 ball but it runs safe. The rack becomes very tactical before Fu pots the 3 ball with an outstanding short distance jump shot, but looks aghast as the cue ball bounces off the table and onto the floor. It's a godsend for the Swiss and they run out to restore their two rack lead. 6-4.

1.09: Fu's safety game has more holes in it than a slab of Emmenthal as he misses the 2 ball by some distance following a two rail escape. The Swiss themselves get in trouble though and the Chinese clear the table to restore a bit of confidence.

12.53: A poor shot from the stick-thin Fu and he leaves the 1 ball on for Regli. It's a tough 2 ball for Jungo but they keep it going but, always chasing position, Dimitri misses a cut on the 7 ball but it runs safe as does Li's hit-and-hope response. It's a crtical moment in the match as they vie for the brown 7. Jungo downs it with a table length tester and they go on to take the rack and move into a 5-3.

12.51: The cow bells aren't ringing just yet but with the imposing Jungo leading the charge, the Swiss are starting to look confident. Both teams have visits as they tap the 3 ball around the rails. The Chinese get the chance in the end and they clear the table to stop the rot at 3-4.

12.49: A good break from the Swiss sees them in with a chance of a run out but Regli follows the cueball into the centre pocket to give the table back to China. Fu though drops a massive clanger as he loses concentration and misses an easy 6 ball into the centre pocket. Jungo leaves his partner a tough pot on the brown 7 which he makes. The final two balls are out in the open and the Swiss make it 4-2.

12.45: Despite being qualifiers for this event, the Swiss are not to be underestimated. Jungo is a former WPA World Junior Champion, and Regli can play too. Another bad foul by Li gives the Swiss ball in hand. It's Ronni Regli who downs the 9 to make it three in a row for the Swiss.

12.35: They share the next two racks, before there is a protracted safety exchange on the 4 ball which the Swiss win when Li misses the pink and pots the 8 ball. With ball in hand, the Swiss run out. 2-2.

12.20: 1-0 to the Chinese as they run through the table after visits from both sides.

12.10: Defending champions China is made up of Li Hewen and Fu Jianbo, who earlier reached the semi finals of the PartyPoker.net World Pool Masters. Switzerland is made up of recent EuroTour winner Dimitri Jungo and half-Filipino Ronnie Regli who has a large number of friends and family cheering him on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:18 am 
Heavyweight

Champions China crash out on day of shocks
06 Sep 2011
Dimitri Jungo and Ronni Regli. Picture Carina Altomonte

DEFENDING PartyPoker.net World Cup of Pool champions China were sensationally ousted from this year's competition on a first day full of upsets.

The Chinese duo of Fu Jianbo and Li Hewen had won this competition twice in its five-year history but slumped to an 8-4 defeat against Switzerland's Ronni Regli and Dimitri Jungo.

Jungo, a former WPA World Junior Champion in 2000, recently claimed the German Open, while Regli is half-Filipino and was cheered on by a large number of local fans at the SM City North EDSA mall in Manila, Philippines.

The Chinese took a 2-0 lead but the Swiss won four on the bounce to take a 4-2 lead before China then made it 5-3.

However, Switzerland, one of only two teams who had to qualify, powered ahead to take three of the next four to book their place in the last 16.

"We're both players who can beat anybody if we have a good day and we also have a good team spirit," said Jungo.

"We're a small country but there have always been good players from Switzerland. It's unbelievable to beat China and we can play good and win the tournament."

Regli added: "It feels amazing and it was a dream of mine to play in a big event here in the Philippines. The last time I was here was 11 years ago but I've never played here before."

The PartyPoker.net World Cup of Pool features 32 two-player teams representing 31 nations - hosts Philippines have two sides and the total prize-fund is $250,000 with $60,000 going to the winning pair.

In the other matches, seeded teams Indonesia (16), Spain (8) and Finland (12) lost to Sweden, Korea and India respectively.

Sweden's Marcus Chamat and Thomas Mehtala mounted a stirring comeback as they turned around a 5-1 deficit to record an 8-7 victory over a young Indonesian team.

"At 5-1 down we weren't thinking we were out but just wanted to see what we could do. But then we missed an easy 9-ball and then thought we would be losing if we kept making these mistakes," said Chamat.

"I'm relieved to get through but we have a day's rest and hopefully Thomas and I can practice and get some groove into our game, but if we play like this again then we will be flying home soon."

The Korean duo of Lee Gun Jae and Hwang Young beat Spain's David Alcaide and Francisco Diaz 8-5, while the Indian pair of Raj Hundal and Amar Kang recorded their country's first ever World Cup of Pool victory.

They edged out a Finnish side that included former World Champion Mika Immonen 8-7 in a thrilling contest.

Japan were the first seeded team to advance, despite made a poor start against Croatia. The Asian side lost the opening two racks but quickly recovered to take the match 8-3.

Local heroes Efren Reyes and Francisco Bustamante, who won the trophy in 2006 and 2009, eased into the next phase with an 8-4 victory over Kuwait's Khaled Al Mutaira and Omar Al Shaheen.

The 2011 World Cup of Pool is sponsored by PartyPoker.net, the world's leading online poker school. Cloth is supplied by Iwan Simonis, Super Aramith balls by Saluc, tables by Star Xing Pai and the Official Cue is Predator.

2011 PARTYPOKER.NET WORLD CUP OF POOL (seeded teams in brackets)

ROUND ONE RESULTS - China (1) 4-8 Switzerland, Indonesia (16) 7-8 Sweden, Spain (8) 5-8 Korea, Japan (9) 8-3 Croatia, Finland (12) 7-8 India, Philippines B (5) v Kuwait.

DAY TWO FIXTURES (WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 7) - (all times are approximate)

12pm - Germany (4) v Australia, 1.30pm - France (13) v Malaysia, 3pm - England (3) v Estonia, 4.30pm - Holland (14) v Thailand, 6pm - USA (6) v Singapore, 7.30pm- Philippines A (2) v Austria.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:14 am 
Heavyweight

WCOP Day 2 as it happened
07 Sep 2011
USA. Picture Carina Altomonte

NOTE: THIS PAGE DOES NOT UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY

RESULT: PHILIPPINES A 8-2 AUSTRIA (first to 8)

RESULT: FRANCE 6-8 MALAYSIA , GERMANY 8-0 AUSTRALIA, ENGLAND 6-8 ESTONIA, HOLLAND 4-8 THAILAND, USA 7-8 SINGAPORE

8.32: It's all over. 8-2 to the Philippines as they take their place in the next round where they will play Canada or Malta.

8.22: A foul from Ouschan gave the Philippines ball in hand, and from there they make it 7-2.

8.20: A good break from Dennis sets up another run out. 6-2.

8.13: A dry break from Alcano sees the Austrians at the table. Jasmin digs deep and plants a long 2 ball in the centre of the pocket. With no shot on the 3 ball, they exchange safeties. He jumps out but leaves it on and Orcollo pots it to set up a run out. 5-2.

8.11: Due to a technical glitch, we join this match in the seventh game with the Philippines pair of Ronnie Alcano and Dennis Orcollo leading Austria (Jasmin Ouschan and Mario He) by 4-2. The Austrians took the first two racks but the Pinoy pair have won four on the spin to establish a lead.

7.26pm: Bernard Tey pots the 9-ball and USA follow China and England out of the competition.

7.23pm: Nearly a golden break from Chan in the decider but it's in the hands of Singapore this one.

7.20pm: Maybe not quite. Chan's bank on the 5-ball keeps it interesting after Dechaine missed the 4-ball. Hold on tight it's one rack to go. And it's 7-7.

7.15pm: Dechaine produces his best shot of the match and it comes at the perfect time with a stunning jump shot to down the 2-ball. It's game, set and match says Tony Drago.

7.12pm: They were flagging but now look to be heading aloft into the second round. USA move to the hill.

7.11pm: More good stuff from Deuel in the next as his banks the red 3, taking into account the needed deflection off the 8-ball. However, Dechaine's effort on the pink 4 stays lurking dangerously. Chan pots it but Tey follows it up with a miss.

7.10pm: Deuel makes a fine long pot on the 2-ball and those are the sort of shots America need to win this one. They've certainly been in a fight today. Dechaine pots the 9-ball and makes it all square at 6-6.

7.05pm: But there's another twist in this match and it's an enthralling contest. The USA break is not what was required and Singapore do the rest. The match, with the winner break, is now in their hands.

7pm: It's falling into the good fightback category at the moment but the job is not over yet. USA are playing well as a team now and, despite a tricky 8-ball, run out the rack for 5-5.

6.55pm: America have got their game faces on now, that's for sure. No more clowning around (apart from their outfits obviously) and then they run out the ninth. It's the third they've won in a row and have gone from 5-1 down to 5-4.

6.49pm: We've seen some good fightbacks and also some big upsets. What category will this match fall into? USA win their third following on from that Chan miss.

6.47pm: A bad miss from debutant Mike Dechaine on the 2-ball puts USA in trouble but they instantly get a reprieve as Chan misses the same ball.

6.45pm: The Americans may be wearing comedy outifts but they're certainly not smiling. They get a chance in the seventh and take it. It's serious stuff from now on.

6.40pm: Singapore make a golden break in the next and quickly extend their lead further to 5-1. At first it looks like the break is illegal, but a television replay shows two other balls cross the headstring and it gets the thumbs up from head referee Michaela Tabb. USA are in trouble. So far the seeded teams to have lost are 1 - China, 3 - England, 8- Spain, 12 - Finland, 13 - France, 14 - Holland and 16 - Indonesia.

6.37pm: Singapore break and run through the next and are halfway there. 4-1.

6.32pm: Dechaine's effort on the 2-ball stays out causing the American to hit his cue on the floor. Singapore move 3-1 in front. We've already had seven of the ten seeded teams that have playerd gone out. Will USA, the sixth seeds, be joining them?

6.28pm: Singapore take advantage after Deuel's attempted jump shot to hit the six-ball doesn't get enough air time and crashes into the 7-ball. With ball in hand Singapore move ahead.

6.21pm: First two racks are shared. 1-1.

6.03pm: By the way, America are playing the Singapore pair of Bernard Tey and Chan Keng Kwang. Thought it would be best to tell you that.

6.02pm: Even referee Nigel Rees is struggling to keep a straight face as two huge American flags walk into the arena, oh wait, it's the players.

6pm: America are next up and Corey Deuel and Mike Dechaine show they've got a sense of humour as they're wearing red shirts, stars and stripes trousers, with the same pattern on the shoes and a white belt to finish off the effect. Only the Indian sparkling shirts from yesterday will deny the Americans the $500 for the best dressed team.

5.54pm: Holland nearly pull it back to 7-5 but See overhits his positional effort and hooks his team-mate with two balls left. See slaps the table in frustration, Teutscher fouls and Holland are out, 8-4 to Thailand.

5.49pm: Maybe I've done the Dutch a disservice they win the next for 7-4 and get a chance in the next following Palajin's miss on the pink 4.

5.46pm: Holland pull another one back but it looks a matter of time before they are knocked out.

5.42pm: Both sides claim one of the next two as Thailand edge closer to a fine win. See's 2-ball rattled around in the jaws of the second of these racks but didn't drop as Thailand move to the hill.

5.25pm: Fortune is favouring the Thailand team. See rolls the cue ball tight behind the 4-ball with the 2-ball on the rail but Kanjanasri's hit and hope ends with the 2-ball colliding into the 7-ball, which falls. Thailand win the rack from there on. 6-1.

5.19pm: Maybe a turning point comes in the sixth when Thailand, closing in on 6-0, miss a simple black - the first big mistake they've made. Holland get their first rack on the board and this could be something to build on.

5.16pm: Decent performance so far from Thailand. They have no pedigree in the event but are closing in on the win. They should make it 6-0 and are not looking in trouble. Holland are facing a whitewash defeat and it's a long way to come from Holland to Manila and lose 8-0.

5.09pm: It's a nervous start from 19-year-old Teutscher as he follows up his error on the 7-ball in the previous rack with a poor shot at the 2-ball. Thailand, who had earlier made a dry break, run through the rest and it's 5-0.

5.06pm: Marco Teutscher, making his World Cup debut, misses the 7-ball after an illegal break from the Thailand side and the Asian team move further ahead with the scoreboard now showing 4-0.

5.01pm: Six seeded teams have already lost and another one is in trouble as Holland, the 14th seeds, find themselves 3-0 behind very quickly.

4.59pm: The fourth match of day two is between Holland and Thailand. Holland are represented by Huidji See and Marco Teutscher while Nitiwat Kanjanasri and Kobkit Palajin are in the Thailand team.

QUOTES - DENNIS GRABE (ESTONIA): "At the beginning it was very hard with the pressure as we'd never played in front of such a big crowd but we didn't have anything to lose.

"But we knew if we played well we could beat them. In a race to eight everyone has a chance. We didn't expect to win and it was a surprise but we had been hoping."

QUOTES - ERKI ERM (ESTONIA): "England are a very strong team but it was a very important match for us and this was our first time here.

"I think if we play well we can beat anybody as we made some mistakes but still won, but if we play perfectly we have a chance against everyone.

"Switzerland qualified as well and beat last year's champions and we've qualified and beaten one of the favourites."

4.33pm: But Grabe pots the 7-ball, Erm the 8-ball and Grabe downs the 9-ball to clinch the shock win of the tournament. 8-6 to Estonia and the third seeds are out.

4.31pm: A table-length bank shot, while using the jump cue, from Appleton ends in a spectacular pot but Melling then hooks his partner with his next shot. But Appleton produces a fine safety.

4.23pm: Estonia move to the hill. They could soon be dancing on the streets of Tallinn if they win one more. The opportunity comes after Melling scratches.

4.17pm: Mixed fortunes for England with the jump cue. Melling gets lucky to make the 2-ball safe, but Appleton then scratches with a similar effort. And Grabe makes a 3-9 combination for 6-6.

4.05pm: Grabe misses and scratches just to add to his woe. England get in and lead for the first time in the match.

4.04pm: England run out the next one 5-5 and you've got to fancy England from now on.

3.59pm: A touch of inexperience from Erm. He pots the 2-ball into the side but gets the angles wrong as the cue ball vanishes into another pocket. England win it and it's 4-5.

3.54pm: Estonia get back in and look like losing the table when a 6-8 combination from Erm leads to them losing optimum position. But they get themselves back out of trouble and win the rack to move 5-3 ahead.

3.52pm: Melling misses a shot at the 1-ball in the seventh but England get fortunate as it doesn't come back to haunt them. Instead, Estonia, showing the first hint of nerves, let England back in and the third seeds reduce the deficit to 3-4.

3.41pm: Melling's break is a good one but Appleton, for the second time, draws the cue ball back and into the side pocket. Estonia capitalise and make it 4-2.

3.38pm: It proves to be a good decision as Erm later fouls and with ball in hand England win their second in a row. England 2, Estonia 3.

3.37pm: England's break is no good and Estonia have a chance but Erm leaves the 4-ball near the pocket. Melling, who was right behind the shot, bounces out of his chair the second it was shot but decides to play safe.

3.34pm: Their first error comes from Grabe and it's a costly one. It should be 4-0 and they're two balls away from that but Grabe misses the 8-ball and a relieved England get their first rack on the board.

3.31pm: Grabe's break is perfect and the 1-ball vanishes with a shot on the 2-ball for Erm.

3.27pm: The Estonian break is an illegal one in the next and that leads to a high-quality safety encounter which ends when Appleton inadvertently screws the cue ball back and into the side pocket. With ball-in-hand Estonia have a chance for a shock 3-0 advantage. And that's what happens.

3.17pm: It's a solid start from the newcomers who double their lead by taking the second rack as well. The Estonians are yet to make a mistake.

3.11pm: Erki Erm and Dennis Grabe had to battle through a qualifying tournament to get here and take an opener with a 7-9 combination. Too early to say a shock, but it might be tougher than England expected.

3.07pm: Estonia are making their World Cup of Pool debut now against the fancied team of England's Darren Appleton and Chris Melling.

2.37: It's Malaysia as they labour their way through the final rack to record a 8-6 victory and book a second round spot against Germany.

2.25: France are not finished yet though as a mistake from Bin Amir is punished. It's now 7-6 as both teams vye for the dubious honour of facing Germany in the next round!

2.11pm: Malaysia are starting to play now and reach the hill at 7-5, having won five straight racks. Neither side has looked exceptional, but the Malaysians are doing the business.

2.05pm: France are going for the three fouls win in rack 11, but Ooi jumps his way out of a safety. Cohen then lays another good snooker which the jolly bin Amir manages to escape from and pot the 1 ball. His partner though leaves the two ball in the open but Facquet plays it safe. Bin Amir flukes the 2 ball in the side pocket and Ooi lays a very tight snooker and Cohen fouls escaping. With ball in hand, Malaysia take a 6-5 lead.

1.58pm: There's a fair sized crowd in at the Block Atrium for this one and they see Malaysia level things up in what is becoming an intriguing encounter. 5-5.

1.52pm: Ooi rolls the 9-ball into the side pocket and that means Malysia have clawed another one back but neither side is at their best. With Germany facing the winners then one side will need to raise their games quickly. 5-4.

1.50pm: Typical. Just when I praise them they have a stinker. The French break is an illegal one and Cohen later scratches when attempting a jump shot on the 1-ball. Malaysia win their first rack in a while to make it 5-3.

1.42pm: The French have found their stride now and are beginning to look a decent pairing. France got to the quarter-finals last year for the first time and will be hoping to at least repeat that this time. They run out their second in a row and now look comfortable with a 5-2 lead.

1.40pm: They run out the sixth rack with probably their most composed rack so far.

1.37: France take the fifth. It is not pretty but the French will not care.

1.22: France take the next as Vincent Facquet and Stephan Cohen hit their stride. The Malaysian pair are struggling for position, leaving themselves tough shots, but a 5/9 carom sees them level it at 2-2.

1.15: Malaysia, made up of Patrick Ooi and Ibrahim bin Amir take the opener but after a couple of misses on the 9 ball, Ooi inexplicably commits a time foul to hand the rack to France. 1-1.

QUOTES: Souquet: "Australia had pretty good chances in the first couple of racks and it should've been 2-0 to them but they handed us the first two racks and after that we controlled the match. We ran three or four from the break and the match was history. It's a really short format and one mistake could cost you three or four games."

Hohmann: "If I could pick any player in the world to be with then it would be Ralf. I'm coming off a big win last week and Ralf won the Masters so our confidence is very high."

12.53: Australia get back to the table but having spent most of the match watching, Jenkins is a bit cold and he misses the 3 ball. Germany lay a snooker and although Australia escape, they leave an easy 3/9 combo which the Germans take to complete the 8-0 whitewash.

12.50: 7-0. It will be the miracle of miracles if Australia win this one. A rack for pride's sake will be enough.

12.42: Australia get back to the table but Rothall leaves his partner in the lurch with no shot on the 4 ball. Jenkins makes a connection with his jump shot but leaves the ball on for Souquet. The Kaiser, who two days ago won the $20,000 top prize at the World Pool Masters, plants it firmly centre pocket and from there, they run out for 6-0.

12.38: And another. 5-0 to Germany now and it's beginning to look like mission impossible for the Aussie boys.

12.35pm: The biggest win of the tournament is Japan's 8-3 success over Croatia. The Germans look likely to beat that here. They run out the fourth.

12.30pm: It is looking easy for the Germans as they storm into a 3-0 lead.

12.24: The Germans make it 2-0 as Souquet atones for a miss by knocking in a slightly tricky 9 ball.

12.15: Germany take the opener as Rothall misses a cross table bank of the 8 ball and leaves it on for Hohmann who deposits it and leaves a straight in 9 ball for Souquet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:15 am 
Heavyweight

World Cup Day Two - Big names crash out

ENGLAND, USA and Holland were all surprise losers on a sensational second day at the 2011 PartyPoker.net World Cup of Pool.

Holland fell to Thailand and USA lost a hill-hill decider against Singapore but the biggest shock was the third-seeded English side who were defeated 8-6 by World Cup newcomers Estonia.

The Estonian pairing of Dennis Grabe and Erki Erm, who had to battle through a qualifying tournament to earn their place in the event, claimed a major upset at the SM City North EDSA mall in Quezon City, Manila.

England's Chris Melling and Darren Appleton looked a little shell-shocked at the end as the Estonians punched the air in delight but the English pair only had themselves to blame as they looked lack-lustre and made critical errors.

"At the beginning it was very hard with the pressure as we'd never played in front of such a big crowd but we didn't have anything to lose," said a jubilant Grabe.

"But we knew if we played well we could beat them. In a race to eight everyone has a chance. We didn't expect to win and it was a surprise but we had been hoping."

England had a great chance to win the match as they scrapped it out to take a 6-5 lead in the race to eight match. Appleton though, scratched and Grabe made a 3/9 combo to level and the Estonians took the lead when Melling sunk the cue ball in the next.

England looked set to level it but Melling left the cue ball short of position to leave his side snookered. They escaped but Grabe and Erm downed the remaining three balls for a famous victory.

"England are a very strong team but it was a very important match for us and this was our first time here," added Erm.

"I think if we play well we can beat anybody as we made some mistakes but still won, but if we play perfectly we have a chance against everyone."

The PartyPoker.net World Cup of Pool takes place at the Block Atrium at the SM Mall North in Quezon City, Manila. It features 32 two-player teams representing 31 nations - hosts Philippines have two sides. The total prize-fund is $250,000 with $60,000 going to the winning pair.

In the other match of the afternoon session, Thailand upset the odds as they knocked Holland out of the competition by an 8-4 score line. With World 10 Ball Champion Huidji See at the helm, partnered by rising junior star Marco Teutscher, Holland were expected to make light work of the Thai pair of Nitiwat Kanjanasri & Kobkit Palajin.

At 5-0 down that was never going to happen as the Thai duo quietly went about their business. They had a stutter as the Dutch got the score back to 7-4 but that was to be it as Thailand made their way into the second round where they will meet Estonia.

Elsewhere, the American pairing of Corey Deuel and Mike Dechaine, dressed in American flag trousers with matching shoes, failed to recover from a bad start against Singapore's Chan Keng Kwang and Bernard Tey.

The ruthless German pairing of Ralf Souquet and Thorsten Hohmann fired out a warning shot to their rivals with an 8-0 whitewash - the first of the tournament - over the Australian pair of Greg Jenkins and Dave Rothall.

"Australia had pretty good chances in the first couple of racks and it should've been 2-0 to them but they handed us them and after that we controlled the match," said Souquet.

"We ran three or four from the break and the match was history. It's a really short format and one mistake could cost you three or four games."

Philippines A cruised to an 8-2 success, despite being 2-0 down, as Ronnie Alcano and Dennis Orcollo crushed the Austrian pairing of Mario He and Jasmin Ouschan, the only female in the event.

The other match saw Malaysia earn themselves the dubious honour of a second round match with Germany as they laboured to a win over France. Patrick Ooi and Ibrahim Bin Amir are World Cup veterans and they will be delighted with their 8-6 win over Vincent Facquet and Stephan Cohen.

The PartyPoker.net World Cup of Pool takes place at the Block Atrium at the SM Mall North in Quezon City, Manila. It features 32 two-player teams representing 31 nations - hosts Philippines have two sides. The total prize-fund is $250,000 with $60,000 going to the winning pair.

The 2011 World Cup of Pool is sponsored by PartyPoker.net, the world's leading online poker school. Cloth is supplied by Iwan Simonis, Super Aramith balls by Saluc, tables by Star Xing Pai and the Official Cue is Predator.

2011 PARTYPOKER.NET WORLD CUP OF POOL

DAY TWO RESULTS: Germany 8-0 Australia, France 6-8 Malaysia, England 6-8 Estonia, Holland 4-8 Thailand, USA 7-8 Singapore, Philippines A 8-2 Austria.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:09 pm 
Heavyweight

PartyPoker.net World Cup of Pool day 3 action
08 Sep 2011
LATEST: PHILIPPINES B 8-5 INDIA

RESULTS: ITALY 8-6 HONG KONG; CHINESE TAIPEI 8-4 RUSSIA, VIETNAM 0-8 POLAND, CANADA 8-4 MALTA , SWITZERLAND 6-8 SWEDEN

8.51pm: It was difficult but Philippines B survive to fight another day. They win it by 8-5 and play either Germany or Malaysia in Saturday's quarter-final.

8.45pm: Kang misses a very tricky 1-ball and there's space for Bustamante to sink it. India have probably played their last shot of the tournament.

8.44pm: India needed something special and Raj Hundal produces that with a lovely pot to down the red 3 when a safety looked the easier option. Kang later disposes of the 9-ball and India are 5-7 down, but can't afford a single mistake.

8.41pm: Near faultless from the hosts. They run out another and lead 7-4. India have made few mistakes but have an uphill task, such is the quality of Reyes and Bustamante.

8.36pm: Reyes pots a tricky 9-ball in the tenth after being left in a tough position from Bustamante, who had earlier performed well to keep the run going.

8.25pm: India come up with an illegal break as three balls are neither pocketed or go over the headstring. Philippines B force India to watch on and the hosts regain the lead, 5-4.

8.24pm: A dry break from Reyes brings India back in action and Hundal's 2-9 combination makes it Philippines B 4, India 4.

8.18pm: There should be a shock lead for India but they waste a glorious opportunity. They get down to the 8-ball but there is one roll too many on the cue ball from Kang that leaves the cue ball nestled up to the 8-ball. Hundal has to play safe and Kang again is at fault as he leaves the 8-ball on. The Philippines team and then home crowd breathe a sigh of relief as they restore their lead. 4-3.

8.13pm: India run out the sixth rack from the break and look very comfortable doing so. 3-3.

8.09pm: India benefit from a poor Filipino break and they do the rest to instantly forget about the errors of the fourth rack. 3-2.

8.01pm: Reyes overcuts the 8-ball and misses, but Hundal overcuts the 9-ball and leaves it on. Bustamante makes it 3-1.

7.58pm: A loose safety from Hundal puts his team in trouble. With a straight-forward shot on the 2-ball, this should be 3-1.

7.57pm: Reyes' bank on the 2-ball leaves a tough but tempting pot on. Kang goes for it but is unsuccessful and gets lucky as Philippines have to play safe.

7.54pm: Hundal's break sees the cue-ball kicked in and Philippines B do the rest from then on as India watch the rack play out from their chairs. Philippines B regain the lead. 2-1.

7.51pm: Reyes and Bustamante win the first rack but India soon level in front of another huge crowd at the SM City North EDSA mall. All seats are taken and there's no viewing space on any of the three balconies overlooking the arena.

7.47pm: The last match of the day is between Philippines B and India and should be a cracker. Efren Reyes and Francisco Bustamante have won this tournament twice, while Raj Hundal and Amar Kang have helped India reach the last 16 of this event for the first time.

QUOTES - MARCUS CHAMAT (SWEDEN): "It was an amazing game. I've played so many games over years and that's one of the worst games I've been involved in.

"I will always remember this game, just like I remember the Mosconi Cup games. You have to show a lot of heart and dig deep down but it wasn't about pool, it was about seeing straight."

7.24pm: What an amazing rack. Regli misses the 4-ball, Mehtala leaves Chamat in a shocking position with hampered cueing and Chamat produces a heroic effort to get Sweden back on course. But Mehtala misses a straight-forward 6-ball but Regli can't take his second chance as he misses a 7-ball. Dimitri Jungo, who has been excellent throughout, puts a comforting arm round Regli's shoulder. Chamat pots the 8-ball and starts dancing as he can sense victory. Mehtala, who has looked a bag of nerves in the latter stages of this match, stays strong when he needs to and pots the 9-ball. Sweden win a sensational match 8-6.

7.17pm: Switzerland win the next and it's 7-6.

7.14pm: Sweden move to the hill but there's a bit of controversy. Switzerland call for a double-hit after Sweden pot a ball. But on a tv replay it shows the shot was fine. 7-5.

7.08pm: Both sides take one of the next two and it's 5-5. Sweden get fortunate in the next as Chamat's bank shot hits one rail, rolls down table and goes into another pocket. Matches are won and lost on such slices of good fortune. Sweden were 4-0 down, it should've been 5-0, but now they lead 6-5.

6.56pm: But Mehtala turns up the heat even more as he helps Sweden make it 4-4 after Regli missed a tricky six into the side pocket and left it on.

6.47pm: Sweden win their third rack on the bounce as that miss on the 8-ball from Regli in the fifth is starting to look costly. That moved've made it 5-0 but Sweden have now pulled it back to 4-3.

6.44pm: Mehtala works as a chef and the Swedish side are cooking now as Mehtala makes a three-rail escape to pot the 2-ball before Chamat rolls the 9-ball down the side rail and it's 4-2.

6.33pm: A mixed rack from half-Filipino Ronni Regli. He underhits a pot to go from the 5 to the 6 and leaves his team-mate hooked, then later he redeems himself with a fine bank on the 6-ball after Thomas Mehtala missed the same ball before Regli misses the 8-ball and Sweden get their first of the day.

6.24pm: Dimitri Jungo fires two balls away off the break in the fourth and with a shot on the two this rack is in the books. 4-0.

6.18pm: Marcus Chamat has a chance for Sweden in the third but fails with his jump shot on the 3-ball and Switzerland go 3-0 up.

6.15pm: Switzerland were in great form in the opening round and continue that at the start of their quarter-final. They take the first two for a 2-0 lead.

6.11pm: Switzerland, who beat 2010 winners China on Tuesday, play Sweden, who triumped over Indonesia in a hill-hill thriller two days ago.

6.07pm: After the first real break of the event so far, we're back and it's quarter-finals time.

5.15pm: A messy 12th rack. Borg leaves the four-ball on and Drago looks furious. There is a reprieve for Malta as Jason Klatt misses the 4-ball but Drago's masse attempt sees the cue ball resting in the pocket. With ball-in-hand Canada wrap up the victory with an 8-4 win.

5.10pm: A run out in the 11th moves Canada to the hill with a 7-4 lead, but a dry break in the 12th keeps Malta alive.

5.05pm: Canada are closing in on a place in the last 16 and a match-up with the highest seeded team left in, the second seeded pairing of Dennis Orcollo and Ronnie alcano - the Philippines A team. Canada move two ahead once more as Jason Klatt pots the 9-ball.

4.59pm: Canada retake the lead and it's now 5-4. It follows a poor rack from Alex Borg, who leaves the 1-ball on after a lengthy safety battle and then draws back to scratch in the side pocket.

4.48pm: It was tied at 1-1, tied at 3-3 and is now tied at 4-4. One mistake could prove critical in this one.

4.40pm: Malta get back in and claim the sixth. They have a chance in the seventh after John Morra's miss on the 1-ball but Tony Drago is left furious with himself when he misses a tricky green six and Canada lead again.

4.34pm: Each rack is over quickly, but what did you expect with these players taking part. The fifth goes to Malta, but Canada have a chance in the sixth.

4.29pm: Canada, who now have mastered the speed of the table, look composed and calm as they work well together and move two ahead for the first time. 3-1 to Canada.

4.24pm: A terrific jump shot from John Morra helps Canada take the third after Alex Borg's break is a dry one. Two breaks out of two have gone wrong for Malta so far.

4.23pm: It starts well Drago's illegal break gives Canada the table and minutes later they make it 1-0. The situation is then reversed as Malta claim the second rack in quick time.

4.21pm: The next match should be a cracker. Canada versus Malta and it should be hugely enjoyable.

QUOTES: KAROL SKOWERSKI (POLAND): "We've known each other for more than ten years, play in the same club and have played together in the Polish National Championships and the Polish League."

QUOTES: RADOSLAW BABICA (POLAND): "Two weeks ago we won the Polish Scotch Doubles Championships and it was an easy win so that's why we're so confident.

"We started very well and that's why the match went our way. We started with two run outs, he missed and then it was 4-0. That made them more nervous and we had less pressure.

"But it was just one match and if we play like that and our opponents play like that then we will win the next match. Every match is different and we'll just concentrate on our next opponent and try to play our best."

4.03pm: An optimistic attempt to get out of a safety from Nguyen Phuc Long, well, basically a smash-up and hope, goes wrong and Poland complete a hugely impressive performance. They are the only seeded team left in their quarter of the draw and on this form will take some stopping. Poland win 8-0.

3.58pm: The Polish break finally comes unstuck in the seventh but Vietnam, aiming to avoid a whitewash, get down to the 9-ball but Luong Chi Dung dogs it. He puts his head in his hands and can hardly watch as the 9-ball is pocketed for Poland 7-0.

3.54pm: Poland have broke better than any other side so far and with perfect potting they take the next to as well for 6-0 and this looks all over.

3.47pm: The Polish side are sporting red shirts with their names on the back and a large picture of the white eagle - one of their oldest national symbols. A good effort in the bid to win the best dressed award. It might not be good enough for the prize with the Indian sparkling shirts still in the memory but a notable attempt.

3.39pm: The Asian side should have a rack on the board after Skowerski's effort on the 3-ball doesn't get the desired response. But Vietnam fluff their lines as Poland mop up the last few balls and now have a 4-0 lead, halfway to their total.

3.36pm: Vietnam finally get a chance in the third rack but Luong Chi Dung misses the 1-ball with his side's first shot of the match. Poland make it 3-0.

3.33pm: A sensational start from Radoslaw Babica and Karol Skowerski. They ran out the opening two racks, the second of which comes after Skowerski nails three balls on the break.

3.10pm: The third match of the day is between the 11th seeds Poland and 2006 semi-finalists Vietnam.

15.00: It's all over. Having trailed for all of the match, the Italians come good when it counts and run out the last balls to take an 8-6 victory.

2.45: It's all tense stuff now and Kwok shows a rare sign of nerves as he fluffs the 2 ball to leave it on. Muratore plays safe on the 3 but Chenman's escape gives Italy a chance. It's a big job but they complete it to take the lead for the first time in the match at 7-6.

2.40: A poor safety from Muratore aloows Kwok to down the 1 ball, but Chenman misses the relatively easy 2 ball. Muratore makes a schoolboy error as he loses concentration and misses the three but it leaves no pot for Kwok. There's more arm-waving from Bruno but it's all in a good cause as they run out the rack to level at 6-6.

2.27: A decent break from Bruno sees two balls go down. However, no one can seize the initiative on an awkward table, but there is plenty of arm-waving from Muratore as he leaves the 2 ball in the open. Hong Kong cash in and move into a 6-5 leave.

2.20: With three balls on the table, Chenman escapes the snooker but leaves a chance on the brown 6. Muratore downs it, Fabio drops the 8 ball, and is partner rolls the 9 ball down the rail for 5-5.

2.12: It's game on as Hong Kong make the most of ball in hand to run the table to lead 5-4.

2.10: It's 4-4 as the Italians run out from the break, but Petroni once again scratches with his break stick.

2.03: There some good work coming from Hong Kong. Kwok is methodical to say the least but they're getting the job done. When they'd done all the hard work, Chenman misses a 'gimme' 9 ball. Muratore seizes the opportunity and instead of 5-2 to Hong Kong, it's just 4-3.

1.54: More 2/9 action, this time from Petroni and it's 2-3. The Italian though, dumps the cue ball into the side pocket off his next break. It's a tricky run out but the Hong Kong boys take their time and make it to go 4-2 ahead.

1.45: A cracking break from Chenman but he scratches after a 2/9 combo fails and the Italians get one back. The next rack ends very early as Chenman makes a 2/9 combo and it's 3-1 to Hong Kong.

I.40: It was nearly a golden break from Kwok, but instead, it turns out to be illegal as only one ball passes the head string. Homg Kong look in fine fettle as they run through the table to take it to 2-0.

1.38: It's first blood to Hong Kong as the two teams battle for the pleasure of playing Taiwan in Round Two.

1.35: Fabio Petroni gets this one under way as Italy face of against Hong Kong. Fabio is partnered by the reliable Bruno Muratore whilst Hong Kong are represented by Lee Chenman and Kenny Kwok.

1.19: A good break from Stepanov keeps their World Cup hopes alive, but Chinakhov fouls on the 1 ball. The balls are spread out and the Taiwanese win looks inevitable. It is as they win 8-4.

1.15: It's 7-4 now as the Taiwanese break fails to yield anything and the Russians make the most of their chance.

1.10: Ruslan Chinakhov misses a sitter on the 1 ball and it's on for Taiwan. A well-executed run out puts the Chinese Taipei boys on the hill. 7-3.

12.55: Wow! These pockets are so tight that the 1 and 5 balls find themselves wedged together in the mouth of the bottom right pocket. Ko Pin-yi plays the wrong shot as he slow rolls it up the table. It dislodges the balls but fails to pot but leaves the cue ball safe. Stepanov plays a beautiful four rail escape to pot the 1 and give the Russians a chance. There is no run out available and Taiwan enjoy good fortune when a hit and hope escape rolls safe. In the end , the Russians play too loose a shot and the Taiwanese run out the rack to move to 6-3.

12.50: Oh dear... It's dry and the table is open. The Taiwanese lads make no mistakes as they reclaim their two rack advantage.

12.45: A bit of luck for Stepanov and Ruslan Chinakhov as the cue ball falls into the side pocket off the Taiwanese break. They really need to do something here with match at a critical juncture. And they do as they run the table to reduce the deficit to 4-3. Decent break required now.

12.42: A tidy safety from Ko the elder sees Stepanov reaching for the jump stick but his successful effort leaves the the 1 ball out in the open and the Chinese Taipei brothers run out the table to go to 4-2.

12.40: Ko Pin-yi misses a longish shot on the 1 ball and leaves a nice easy one for Stepanov. With the balls spread out nicely, the Russians clear the table to reduce the deficit. 3-2.

12.35: Ko the younger shows no sign of nerves as he deposits the 9 ball to take the score to 3-1.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:11 pm 
Heavyweight

WCOP Day 3. Reyes / Bustamante aim for win three
08 Sep 2011

TWO-TIME PartyPoker.net World Cup of Pool winners Efren Reyes and Francisco Bustamante comfortably progressed to the last eight as their Philippines B team beat India 8-5.

The Indian pair of Raj 'the Hitman' Hundal and Amar 'AK47' Kang, wearing the winning shirts in the 'best dressed' competition, were again led into the arena by a glamorous model scattering rose petals ahead of them.

After eight racks it was 4-4 and that put pressure on the Filipinos, but they responded superbly as they picked up the pace to gain the win.

The Indians acquitted themselves well and, considering Kang had never played on TV before, were a credit to their nation.

"We got lucky again," said Reyes, echoing his regular catchphrase but the truth is there was plenty of skill and shot-making and their likely quarter-final opponents, Germany, will have their hands full on Saturday.

Sweden earlier became the first team through to the quarter-finals in a fantastically entertaining second round match against qualifiers Switzerland. Both teams were shaky at best with Ronni Regli for Switzerland and Thomas Mehtala (Sweden) having particularly torrid times.

The final score was 8-6 but that barely told the story of one of the craziest matches in World Cup history. The Swiss team of Regli and the imposing Dimitri Jungo started where they left off following their defeat of defending champions China on Tuesday, as they moved into a 4-0 lead.

Sweden took the next four to level the score at 4-4 and shared the next two to make the score 5-5. The Scandinavians, who looked dead and buried, won the next two after both sides had chances following some errors and they were on the hill.

In an amazing last rack, Regli missed the 4-ball, Mehtala left Chamat in a shocking position with hampered cueing but Chamat produced a heroic effort to get Sweden back on course.

However, his partner missed a straight-forward 6-ball but Regli could not take his second chance as he missed the 7-ball and almost walked out of the arena in disgust.

Dimitri Jungo, who had been excellent throughout, put a comforting arm round Regli's shoulder as the Swiss-Filipino felt the heat. Chamat pocketed the 8-ball and started dancing as he sensed victory.

Mehtala, who looked a bag of nerves in the latter stages of this match, stayed strong when he needed to and downed a simple 9-ball for the win.

"It was an amazing game. I've played so many games over years and that's one of the worst games I've been involved in!" said a delighted Chamat.

"I will always remember this game, just like I remember the Mosconi Cup games. You have to show a lot of heart and dig deep down but it wasn't about pool, it was about seeing straight."

Chinese Taipei, a perennial powerhouse of the world pool scene, advanced to the second round with a comfortable 8-4 victory over Russia.

The Taiwanese were represented by Ko Pin-yi and his 15-year-old brother Ko Ping-chun - the first time siblings have competed in the World Cup.

Their opponents Russia, with Ruslan Chinakhov and Konstantin Stepanov on board, looked to have a chance but the clinical Taiwanese were too good from the off. The Russians stayed with them in the early stages but always trailed as the Chinese Taipei brothers looked relaxed and confident.

They were never put under sufficient pressure and looked to have a couple more gears available to them if the need arises. They now meet Italy in the second round, who came from behind to beat Hong Kong in a scrappy thriller.

Hong Kong's Lee Chenman and Kenny Kwok were in the driving seat throughout their round one match against Italy and led 4-2, but Chenman missed an easy 9 ball to gift the rack to the Italians.

Hong Kong kept their noses in front as they moved to 6-5 but another mistake from Chenman let the Italians in for 6-6 and they won the next two to take the match.

Poland recorded the second 8-0 whitewash of the event as they flattened Vietnam.

Radoslaw Babica, an ever-present in the Polish World Cup side since the event's inception in 2006, was this time joined by Karol Skowerski and they thrashed their opponents.

"We've known each other for more than ten years, play in the same club and have played together in the Polish National Championships and the Polish League," said Skowerski.

The knowledge of each other's games was paramount and the match was a bit of a procession as the confidence drained from the Vietnamese.

"Two weeks ago we won the Polish Scotch Doubles Championships and it was an easy win so that's why we're so confident," added Babica.

"We started very well and that's why the match went our way. We started with two run outs, he missed and then it was 4-0. That made them more nervous and we had less pressure.

"But it was just one match and if we play like that and our opponents play like that then we will win the next match. Every match is different and we'll just concentrate on our next opponent and try to play our best."

In the second match of the session, Malta made it six first round exits out of six as they went down to Canadian pair John Morra and Jason Klatt by 8-4. The Maltese pair made too many errors to stay in contention and Canada can now look forward to meeting Orcollo and Alcano in the next round.

PARTYPOKER.NET WORLD CUP OF POOL
DAY THREE RESULTS
ROUND ONE: Chinese Taipei 8-4 Russia, Italy 8-6 Hong Kong, Poland 8-0 Vietnam, Canada 8-4 Malta,
LAST 16: Sweden 8-6 Switzerland, Philippines B 8-5 India

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:27 pm 
Heavyweight

Day 4 action underway in Manila

RESULT: JAPAN 6-8 KOREA; GERMANY 8-3 MALAYSIA; ESTONIA 4-8 THAILAND; POLAND 8-3 SINGAPORE; CHINESE TAIPEI 8-7 ITALY

LATEST SCORE: PHILIPPINES A 8-6 CANADA

9.20: Hats off to Ronnie and Dennis as they win the last four racks to take an 8-6 victory. But full credit to the Canadian duo of Morra and Klatt who gave them a great fight and did themselves proud in defeat.

9.16: The Philippines take the lead for the first time as they come good when it matters. And Alcano makes a good break in the next with a shot on the lowest ball....

9.13: 6-6! A 5/9 combination from Robocop (I've never got that nickname?) and it's anyone's match. Can the Canadians hold themselves together and stay strong?

9.10: The Pinoy poolers are starting to sizzle as 4/6 combo from Orcollo sets up a win forn the Philippines. It's now 6-5 and turning into a classic!

9.02: Two from victory. Following a dry Canadian break Alcano left the 1 ball on in the side pocket and Morra and Klatt grabbed the chance to go 6-4.

8.54: The game Canadians aren't here to make up the numbers and they take the lead once again in what is turning into a highly entertaining match.

8.45: There are mistakes from both sides in the next and Orcollo fouls when he follows the cue ball in after the red 3. That gives the Canucks the chance to regain the lead at 4-3 but that doesn't last long as the Philippines take the next for 4-4.

8.36: At last Morra nails a good break but Klatt breaks down as he misses the 6 ball. 3-3.

8.32: Another poor break, this time from the Philippines and Klatt and Morra take full advantage to regain the lead.

8.28: Neither side has delivered anything resembling a convincing break yet and Philippines take this one against the head to make it 2-2.

8.25: Canada aren't overawed as they win the third game after a sloppy break from the Pinoys.

8.12: It's the second favourite pool team in the Philippines as Dennis Orcollo and Ronnie Alcano take on the Canadian duo of Jason Klatt and John Morra. they share the first two racks after fouls from both teams respectively. 1-1.

19.56: The Ko brothers dig deep and run the rack to record an excellent victory and book a place in the quarter-finals.

19.52: Dry break from big Bruno... And the 1 ball is on for the Taiwanese.

19.50: It's hill-hill! Ping the younger nearly flukes the 9 ball and it hangs over the pocket invitingly as Petroni bangs it home.

19.42: And another! Young Ko leaves a sighter on the 1 ball and the Italians down it and take the rack to get within one of the Taiwanese.

19.36: Great stuff in Manila from Bruno and Fabio as they run out for 7-5. Taiwan still favourites but who knows...

19.30: Italy are looking at the last rites but the older Ko blunders to give the Italians a glimmer of hope... 7-4.

19.25: With a combined age of 37, the Taiwanese pair are the youngest team in the competition by a country mile, but they're fearless sharp-shooters and they take down the 11th game to reach the hill.

19.20: Taiwan ease the pressure as they increase their lead to 6-3. A great jump shot by Ko on the 3 ball leads to a run out.

19.15: Chinese Taipei regain their two rack lead as the score moves to 5-3.

19.02: Come on the Azzurri! After a few errors, Petroni makes a critical pot on 7 ball and the gap is now just one rack.

18.55: Italy get one back after Ko the younger messes up on the 8 ball. 4-2.

18.45: They share the next two for 3-1 before Bruno Muratore scratches off the break and the Taiwanese make it 4-1. This 'brothers' thing is clearly working - I'm surprised no one has tried it before!

18.25: It's first blood to the Taiwanese duo of Ko Pin-yi and Ko Ping-chun as a Petroni miss on the 6 ball lets them in and they pocket the remaining three balls to go 1-0 ahead. That soon becomes 2-0 as a miss on the 3 ball by Italy allows the Taiwan brothers to dish up.

18.10: the final frame of the match was the scrappiest as both sides had chances and made misses. But it was Poland, resplendant in their eagle shirts, who finished it off for an 8-3 victory to add to their 8-0 first round win over Vietnam. They will be quietly confident of beating Thailand in the next round and achieving their best ever finish at the World Cup of Pool.

18.55: More good news for the Poles as Tey scratches for Singapore and they move to the hill at 7-3.

18.45: Tey flukes the 1 ball off the rail but leaves a hanger of a 2 ball and the Poles move to 6-3.

18.37: Bernard Tey misses a pot on the pink 4 but looks to have left a fair distance with cue and object balls on opposite rails. Skowerski produces a fine shot to pocket it but babica misses on the 7 ball. A decent jump shot from Chan sinks it and the Singaporeans are back in it. 5-3.

18.35: Babica makes a dry break but Chan scratches to leave a potential 1/9 combo and Karol Skowerski downs it for 5-2.

17.20: There was a vicious rumour that the internet in the venue may start working again, but it is just that. Back to the action, and Poland retake the lead at 3-2. That soon moves to 4-2 as they run out a routine rack.4-2.

17.15: Chan has a go at a two rail escape but misses everything. With ball in hand, Poland make it 2-2.

17.08: Babica polishes off the 9 ball to give Poland the first rack, but Singapore bounce back to win te next two and go into a 2-1 lead.

16.40: That's it. Dennis Grabe misses a 3/9 combo and that is Estonia's last visit of the match. Nitiwat Kanjanasri and Kobkit Palajin move ahead to the quarter finals where they will play either Poland or Singapore and bamboozle the commentators for at least one more match!

16.35: Thailand hit the hill.... 7-4.

16.29: It's not the best this one and a scratch off the break costs Estonia the rack as Thailand move into a 6-4 lead.

16.25: After a technical delay, Estonia take the next to reduce arrears to 5-4.

16.15: Estonia, who knocked the fancied English side out of the event, aren't done yet and a decent bank shot from Erm sets up the rack. 5-3 Thailand.

16.06: Kanjanasri makes a school boy error as he nudges the 5 ball while cueing over it. Grabe though, scratches on the 7 ball and it goes 5-2 to Thailnd. Whilst unheralded, the two Thai lads are solid cuemen.

16.00: Thailand run out from there to re-establish a two rack lead. 2-4.

15.57: Estonia pull one back but break dry in the next rack. 2-3

15.50: Thailand make it 2-1, before Estonia miss the 4 ball and Thailand takes that one to establish a 3-1 lead.

15.50: Grabe misses the 8 ball in the next and it's now 1-1.

15.50: Back in action now as two of round one's giant-killers clash for a spot in the quarter-finals. The Estonian pair of Dennis Grabe and the fantastically named Erki Erm take the first rack over Thailand.

QUOTES: Thorsten Hohmann: "We made some slight positional errors at the beginning and there were some good rolls for them but you have to expect that in a game. I think when it was 3-3 we just finished the set. We had some tough opening shots and just kept running out and running out. I'd rather be playing Philippines in the final but it will be a big revenge match and I think we're playing better than two years ago."

Ralf Souquet: "Two years ago it was looking very good for us in the final. I wouldn't say we blew it but we had them. As a team we made one mistake and we were 9-7 up and that would've taken us to the hill. Beating two legends in the World Cup of Pool final in the Philippines would've been amazing and unfortunately we play in the quarter-finals now - a couple of rounds too early and one of the teams has to go out earlier than anticipated.

"The loss didn't stay on my mind as if you let it stay with you then you could ruin your next four or five tournaments or maybe even your career. You have to try and get over it as soon as possible. The further you get in the tournaments the tougher the opponents get. No team that makes it that far into a tournament does so by luck. It seems certain brackets are tougher than others but at the end of the day all matches are tough.

"Playing two legends in front of their home crowd maybe makes it tougher but tougher for them. They have more to lose than we do and I'm really looking forward to it and have a good feeling about it."

15.05: After the early hiccups, Germany returned to their dominant best as they win the last to complete a six rack winning run and take the match 8-3. they can now look forward to Reyes and Bustamante in tomorrow's quarter-final match.

3.00: The Germans are running away with this one now as they take the next to go to 7-3, one away from the magic 8.

2.52: 6-3 as the Germans run out.

2.47: It's now 5-3 to the Germans after a Malaysian foul gives them ball in hand.

2.40: Both teams miss the green 6, before Germany claim it to regain the lead.

2.36: Not for long though as the score moves to 3-3.

2.31: Bin Amir is bouncing around the table, clearly enjoying it. A Souquet scratch gives the Malaysians a chance and they take the lead.

2.24: 2-2. Malaysia extract themselves from a Souquet safety and go on to win the frame.

2.16: Germany make their first mistake as Souquet misses a 4 ball and Malaysia get their first rack on the board. 2-1.

2.11: And another... Germany run out from the break. 2-0.

2.07: Germany, who along with the two Philippines teams look favourite for this title, are up against the Singaporean duo of Patrick Ooi and Efren lookalike Ibrahim Bin Amir, who eralier shocked the USA. The opener goes to Germany. 1-0.

1.55: Back of the pocket! The youthful looking Hwang bangs home the winning 9 ball as the unheralded Koreans make their way into the quarter-finals.

1.45: More drama as the Japanese give it a go and take the next rack to make it 7-6.

1.38: Japan, who were heavy favourites for this one, aren't at their best and the Korean pair of Lee Gun Jae and Hwang Yong take the next to reach the hill at 7-5.

1.31: A tidy 1/7 combo from Lee but the Koreans lose the table but get it back when Yukio scratched. But the Koreans, feeling the pressure, miss the 4 ball. It's now just 5-6 to Korea.

1.22: There is a succession of safety shots and then Japan miss an easy 2 ball. Both sides then have attempts and fail to pot it! It's a comedy of errors here at the SM Mall but Japan complete the rack to get to 6-4.

1.15: It's 6-3 now to Korea after another run out.

1.10: Korea take the next to open up a two rack lead.

1.05: Korea run out the 7th from the break to lead 4-3.

12.56: Japan run out the 5th game to take a 3-2 lead but Akagariyama misses a 2/5 combination and Korea clear up to get to 3-3.

12.40: Japan 2-2 Korea

12.25: Japan 2-1 Korea

12.17: Japan 1-1 Korea

12.10: Japan 1-0 Korea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:18 am 
Heavyweight

WCOP Day 4 - Orcollo and Alcano battle on
09 Sep 2011

The Philippines A pairing of Dennis Orcollo and Ronnie Alcano overcame stern resistance from Canada to win 8-6 and progress to the quarter-finals of the PartyPoker.net World Cup of Pool.

Canadians Jason Klatt and John Morra pushed their opponents to the limit and forced them to play at their best in the closing stages. Never in front until the closing games, the Filipinos squared the match at 6-6 and then closed it out with some excellent shot-making.

'That was a tough game and we're just relieved to get into the next round," beamed a delighted Orcollo.

"They pushed us all the way and there were times when I thought we might not do it. But we dug in a showed what we can do. There are now two Filipino teams in the last eight so that's something for everyone to be proud of."

Canada always led as neither side got to grips with the break. They went toe-to-toe with their opponents and kept regaining a one-rack lead until they found themselves 6-4 up in the race-to-eight match.

That was when the Philippines came out of their fog and stepped up to the plate. A 4/6 combo from Orcollo in the next set up a run out and a 5/9 levelled the match. The momentum was with the home side and they polished off the final two racks for the win.

The first match of the evening session was a candidate for game of the tournament so far as Taiwan withstood a rampant Italian comeback to shade it in the deciding rack.

Represented by the Ko brothers - Pin-yi, the elder and Ping-chun, the younger - the Taiwanese had an incredible combined age of just 37. Their opponents, Fabio Petroni and Bruno Muratore were a little longer in the tooth, but contributed to an entertaining match.

The Italians were too loose in the early stages as their mistakes helped contribute to an early 4-1 Taiwanese lead. The Ko brothers came with all the shots as they soon reached the hill at 7-3 which is when it all got interesting.

A blunder from the elder Ko allowed the Italians the chance to take the rack and a break and run in the next made it 7-5. The younger Ko left a sighter on the 1 ball in the next and Petroni took it to set up another run out and get within one of the Chinese Taipei boys.

Ping the younger nearly fluked the 9 ball in the next but left it hanging over the pocket invitingly and Petroni banged it home to make it a hill hill affair.

A dry break from Muratore left the 1 ball on and the relieved Ko brothers ran the rack for victory.

Germany came from 3-2 down against Malaysia to win six racks on the spin and secure a quarter-final spot where they will take on Philippines B - Efren Reyes and Francisco Bustamante - in a replay of 2009's epic final.

After the early stutter, Thorsten Hohmann and Ralf Souquet continued in the same form that saw them whitewash Australia in the opening round. The veteran Malaysian pair of Ibrahim Bin Amir and Patrick Ooi looked confident in the early exchanges but was out the game once the Germans stepped up the pace.

"We made some slight positional errors at the beginning and there were some good rolls for them but you have to expect that in a game," said Hohmann after the match.

"I think when it was 3-3 we just finished the set. We had some tough opening shots and just kept running out and running out.

"I'd rather be playing Philippines in the final but it will be a big revenge match and I think we're playing better than two years ago."

Souquet reminisced about the last time the two teams met: "Two years ago it was looking very good for us in the final. I wouldn't say we blew it but we had them. As a team we made one mistake and we were 9-7 up and that would've taken us to the hill.

"Beating two legends in the World Cup of Pool final in the Philippines would've been amazing and unfortunately we play in the quarter-finals now - a couple of rounds too early and one of the teams has to go out earlier than anticipated.

"The loss didn't stay on my mind as if you let it stay with you then you could ruin your next four or five tournaments or maybe even your career. You have to try and get over it as soon as possible.

"The further you get in the tournaments the tougher the opponents get. No team that makes it that far into a tournament does so by luck. It seems certain brackets are tougher than others but at the end of the day all matches are tough.

"Playing two legends in front of their home crowd maybe makes it tougher but tougher for them. They have more to lose than we do and I'm really looking forward to it and have a good feeling about it."

In the other opening session match, Korea overcame the odds to put in a good performance and defeat the Japanese pair of Yukio Akagariyama and Lo Liwen. The unknown Koreans are a blend of youth and experience and Lee Gun Jae (38) and Hwang Yong (27) will be tough to beat in their next match.

The other two matches in the earlier sessions saw wins for Thailand and Poland. Nitiwat Kanjanasri and Kobkit Palajin easily overcame the Estonian duo of Dennis Grabe and Erki Erm by 8-4.

The Estonians made too many errors in a lacklustre game and the Thai pair was solid enough for the win. They go on to play Poland in the quarter-finals, who made light work of an out of sorts Singapore duo of Bernard Tey and Chan Keng Kwan. The final score was 8-3 as Radoslaw Babica, who is now something of a veteran, and Karol Skowerski had too much in every department.

The PartyPoker.net World Cup of Pool features 32 two-player teams representing 31 nations - hosts Philippines have two sides. The total prize-fund is $250,000 with $60,000 going to the winning pair.

Last 16 Results

Taiwan 8 - 7 Italy, Philippines A 8 - 6 Canada, Germany 8 - 3 Malaysia, Korea 8 - 6 Japan, Thailand 8 - 4 Estonia, Poland 8 - 3 Singapore, Sweden 8 - 6 Switzerland, Philippines B 8 - 5 India

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:09 pm 
Heavyweight

LIVE. WCOP - Day Five - Quarter-finals day
10 Sep 2011

RESULTS: SWEDEN 5-9 KOREA; GERMANY 9-1 PHILIPPINES B; POLAND 6-9 THAILAND; PHILIPPINES A 8-9 CHINESE TAIPEI

9.42: Dry break and Ko the elder isn't tight enough with his safe. Orcollo makes the 1 ball and leaves a tricky 2 for Ronnie who makes it and gains great position for the next. the crowd are cheering every ball, but Alcano blunders as he misses a relatively easy black off the rail. The Ko boys calmly down the 8 and 9 balls for a terrific win.

9.35: Ball down, legal break and a shot on the 1 ball! Greatb work from the Worlds Nos. 1 and 3 as they take the rack to make it hill-hill.

9.29: It's a dry break and the Philippines are back at the table. Ronnie jacks up on the rail but misses the blue 2. Both teams fluke safeties before the young Ko leaves the 2 ball on for Orcollo. the Philippines complete a nervous run out to get within a rack of their opponents.

9.25: A bad leave from Alcano gives the Taiwanese a chance. A superb table length jump shot from Ko the elder gets them into the rack. Every shot is precision perfect and they clear the rack to reach the hill. 8-6.

9.21: Cracking match. Philippines make it 6-7 but they are still in the match.

9.18 Philippines were 5-1 up and are now 7-5 behind. They finally get to the table but no shot for Alcano, well, actually they pull out a two-rail kick to down the 2-ball and they are still alive.

9.10: A great break from young Ko with a ball down and a clear shot on the 1ball. Great stuff as they run the table, making it six racks in a row for 7-5. The crowd sit in stoney silence.

9.02: It's all Taiwan, but Ko Pin-yi overruns the cue ball going up for the 2 ball and they need to play safe. It's a good one and it leads to them gaining control of the table and they take the rack to go into the lead 6-5.

9.00: The tide is turning as Chinese Tapei run the table to level the score at 5-5.

8.54: There's two balls left on the table and Ko the elder has a very difficult shot on the 8 ball cueing off the rail. He makes it and leaves his brother perfect on the 9 ball and now it's 5-4.

8.50: Banzai!! Golden break! There haven't been that many here in Manila but it comes at a great time for Taiwan. 5-3.

8.45: Another poor soft break from Dennis this time and the Taiwanese win their first rack since the opener. 5-2.

8.32: Illegal break from Ronnie but the Taiwanese pair are starting to struggle and the Philippines take the sixth to put themselves right in the driving seat.

8.25: The Philippines get away with this one as Orcollo plays a horrible safe which leaves a sighter on the 6 ball for Ko the elder but he misses and the Philippines clear the table to go 3-1. they take the next for a commanding 4-1 lead and the Taiwanese will need to do something about this.

8.11: The Philippines run the table after Ko Pin-yi left the 1 ball on. 2-1.

8.00: Philippines B - Dennis Orcollo and Ronnie Alcano - carry the nation's hopes and they face a tough prospect in the Ko brothers from Taiwan. With a combined age of 37, these two are the youngest pair in the tournament. They take the first rack to silence the crowd but Orcollo plays a tremendous 2/9 combination that no one saw and it's level.

7.44: Both teams go back and forth on the 2 ball and with so much at stake, that's no surprise. Skowerski lays a snooker which creates the opening the Poles were searching for and they look good until Babica makes a terrible mistake, leaving the cue ball so close to the 9 that it blocks the shot on the brown 7. Skowerski hits and hopes.... and leaves the 7 ball on. It's Kanjanasri who bags the final 9 ball, and against all the odds, Thailand are through to the semi-finals of the PartyPoker.net World Cup of Pool!

7.36: A crunching break from Babica is ice cold and what's more, the 1 ball is out in the open. And the rest of the table is laid out nicely. The two Thai lads take their time and methodically clear the table to reach the hill.

7.27. It's a massive rack this one as Thailand will either reach the hill or the Poles will be right back in it. Paljin messes up a jump shot though to give ball in hands to the Poles. A great chance now. 9 down from Babica the Poles are back.

7.22: Kanjanasri dogged the 3 ball into the corner pocket. Poland look good but Skowerski runs out of position. Babica plays a nice safe and Palajin returns the compliment. Kanjanasri gives himself a massive confidence booster as he banks the 5 ball and leaves his partner perfect on the 9 ball to take a two rack lead.

7.18: Another from the Thais as they regain the lead.

7.15: 5-5. This is a close match indeed. Babica leaves a nervy 9 ball for Skowerski and he rolls it home.

7.05: The Thais get their noses in front once again at 5-4 and it looks like this one could go the full distance.

7.00: It's 7 o'clock and 4-4. Kanjanasri misses the 1 and then the 2 and Poland square things up.

6.51pm: Thailand move ahead for the first time and lead 4-3. Kanjanasri misses the brown seven but the error is not punished and Thailand win their third consecutive rack.

6.44pm: It's 3-3 here at the SM City North EDSA mall in Manila. Radoslaw Babica makes his first error of the game as he leaves the 2-ball on and Thailand take advantage to level the match.

6.36pm: Kanjanasri loses position going from the seven ball to the eight but Thailand get a reprieve when Skowerski scratches and Thailand win their second rack.

6.29: Karol Skowerski leaves the one-ball on in the third and it becomes two-one, but the same player gets lucky in the fourth with a fluke to make a 1-3 combination as his side restore their two-rack advantage.

6.19: Poland quickly move two ahead. Kobkit Paljin starts with a wild and not very handsome safety effort on the 2-ball which misses by miles. Poland take care of that rack and then run out the second.

6.15: The first match of the second session is between Poland and Thailand. Both teams have looked good in making it so far but who will advance to a semi-final clash against either Philippines A or Chinese Taipei.

QUOTES: Ralf Souquet: "It was very unusual as we only made a ball on the break two or three times but had to push out and Thorsten never made a ball on the break.

"We played well and Thorsten came up with the greatest shots when I missed position but besides that we didn't do much wrong. Efren was not on his game but that's the way it is but we put pressure on them as we performed well in the first few games.

"Playing for them in front of their home crowd meant there was more pressure on them than us."

Thorsten Hohmann: "Two days ago Efren had a problem with his stomach and he was not at 100 per cent. But they knew we would come out strong and we performed - it was very sweet revenge.

"We're here to go all the way and I'm now going to spend a couple of hours working on my break so hopefully I'll come back stronger tomorrow."

5.27: It's all over as Reyes scrathed with just the 9 ball on the table. Souquet slots home the 9 ball foR an easy 9-1. They now play Korea in the semi-finals.

5.25: It's all going horribly wrong for the Filipino team. No one likes to see them on the end of this kind of hiding but Germany cooly take the next to reach the hill.

5.12: The fifth dry break of the match but Django misses the 1 ball. The crowd sit in silence as Germany take to the table. A few minutes later it's 7-1.

5.09: And another... It's looking a procession now for the 2009 runners-up and it's hard to see where a Filipino comeback is coming from. 6-1.

4.57: The best break of the match from Bustamnate sees two balls drop but later he plays a poor safe on the 2 ball. Hohmann though takes the full 80 seconds for the next and leaves the edge showing for Efren. His attempt comes up short and Souquet takes advantage. They work their way through the table for 5-1. It's looking increasingly likely that revenge will be sweet for Germany.

4.50: It's a funny old rack this one and it seems to last an eternity. Hohmann makes an incredible pot on the 3 ball that no one saw and it seems to be another for the Germans but Souquet makes a bad error as he snookers his team. They escapte but leave it out for the Filipinos and they convert the rack to make a mark on the scoreboard, 4-1.

4.40: Reyes is looking out of sorts as he missed a howler down the rail and Hohmann and Souquet are the last two players to gift these sort of chances to. 4-0.

4.28: A dry break from Hohmann sees Bustamante attempt a cross table bank on the 2 ball but it was a chancey attempt and it stayed out. The clinical Germans need no invitation as they dish up to move to 3-0.

4.16: A dry one from Souquet and Reyes plays a trade-mark crafty snooker. Bustamante makes a flukey kick on the 1 ball and it rolls up table and drops. Django plays an outstanding pot on the 3 ball but missed an easy 5 ball. Germany once again grabbed the moment and moved into a 2-0 lead.

4.10: Germany wins the lag and Hohmann delivers a bone dry break... Django pounces on the 3 ball but his partner snatches and misses an easy 2 ball. Reyes will have to keep a lid on those sort of gaffs if his team is to progress. Germany take full advantage as they take the opener.

3.58: With a poor leave from hos team mate, Chamat misses the 6 ball into a blind pocket. It's just what the Korean pair are looking for, and they sink the remaining three balls for a 9-5 victory. the Korean pair made up of the speedy Hwang and the slow-paced Lee have looked the part this week and are fully deserving of their semi-final spot.

3.48: No joy on the break and Chamat downs the 1 ball to give themselves a chance. With Korea on the hill, there is no margin for error. And they don't make one as Mehtala executes a 6/9 carom. 5-8.

3.27: Mehtala scratches on the break. The Koreans though, snooker themselves and the cue ball goes off the table for ball in hand for the Swedes. Referee Nigel Rees spots a nick in the white and replaces it. Chamat pockets the 2 ball but leaves a tricky one for Mehtala who misses the fine cut on the 3. This one is turning into a bit of a farce as Mehtala's long pot on the 4 ball misses but rolls into the side pocket. Chamat tries to play a snooker on the 6 ball but it shows and Korea run the table to reach the hill.

3.35: Off the dry break from Korea, Sweden bounce back to get to within 3 racks. can they mount another comeback like yesterday's?

3.28: 7-3. The Koreans are looking unstoppable as they power through the next rack. Lee must be the slowest player in the event as he nearly time fouls, taking umpteen practice shots on a straight in ball to the side pocket.

3.15: A phenomenal 'Z' escape from Lee saw him connect with the 2 ball and leave it snookered behind the pink 4. Mehtala's escape leaves the 2 ball on but Sweden get back to the table. Chamat pumps his fist when he plays an ace positional shot and the Swedes complete the run out to reduce arrears. 6-3.

3.12: Sweden have a great chance to pull one back after Lee's jump shot on the 1-ball stays out following a misjudged push out. But Mehtala makes his fourth unforced error when he leaves the 8-ball hanging over the table, although Chamat had underhit his previous shot to leave it in a tough position. Sweden now trail 6-2.

3.03: 5-2. The Koreans are starting to pick up the pace and play with some fluidity. They break and run another.

2.54: Korea come close to a golden break but in the end a return fluke from the Swedes when Mehtala escapes three rails from a snooker, and pushes in the 5 ball. The tall chef from Gavle misses the 6 ball and Korea run out the remaining fice balls to open up a two rack lead. 4-2.

2.45: The Koreans though miss the 1 ball and leave it on for Chamat to pocket into the side. The Swedes play safe on the 3 ball and Lee's jump shot misses the pocket but rolls across to drop into the opposite side. Both sides have visits before, Mehtala playing very slowly, gets hurried by the shot clock and misses a tricky 4 ball. Hwang plays a great bank shot to put the Koreans in the driving seat and they clear the balls for for 3-2.

2.41: Sweden get to the table in the next and put the Koreans in a horror snooker and although Hwang escapes, the 2 ball is showing for the Swedes. Chamat downs it and they run out for 2-2. Mehtala bangs home the break in the fifth but nothing drops.

2.30: Another dry break, but the Koreans leave a fairly easy shot on the 1 ball which Mehtala takes on and pots. Chamat though, fouls as his clothing touches 5 ball. He looks sick as he returns to his chair. the Koreans put their opponents in a tough snooker. Mehtala fails to make contact with a 1 rail escape and with ball in hand the Koreans make it 2-1.

2.25: Dry break from Hwang, the younger of the two players. Sweden look confident as they clear the table, with Mehtala showing none of the nerves that beset him at the latter stages of their previous two matches. He downs the 9 ball, cueing off the rail for 1-1.

2.20: Starting a bit late today but there will be plenty of top 9 ball action as the races move to 9. The Koreans break and the 7 ball drops. Lee and Hwang are something of an unknown quantity, after two years of Korean female players in this event, but thye clear the table from the break to go to 1-0.

2.00: Hello and welcome back to Matchroom Sport's live coverage of the 2011 PartyPoker.net World Pool Masters. We're at the quarter-finals stage and first up is Sweden v Korea.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next