Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:11 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 562 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:16 pm 

The 9-Ball jewel in the desert is here

If you like the very best in professional pool squaring off for ultimate supremacy on the felt pitch, then
the next 11 days will be nothing short of Valhalla.

The 2013 World Pool-Billiards Association(WPA) World 9-ball Championship is set to kick off this week in
steaming hot Doha, Qatar, and, judging by the current player list, this year’s event is shaping up to be
the best one yet.

128 players from over 40 countries will descend upon Doha’s Al Arabi Sports Club looking to book their
spot in the pool history books. But whoever finds themselves atop the winners’ platform hoisting pool’s
biggest and most prestigious prize after the finals on September 13th, will have to contend with loads of
pressure and drama along the way.

Defending champion and World number one Darren Appleton of Great Britain looks set to make a spirited
defense of his title. Appleton won his first World 9-ball championship in June, 2012, with an incredible
13-12 win over China’s Li Hewen, in one of the most memorable and stirring finals ever witnessed in
professional pool.

The preliminary stages of the 2013 World 9-ball Championship actually start Monday, September 2 with the
qualifier tournaments at the Al Arabi. Over 130 players have signed up to try to fill the last 12 spots in the
main draw, which begins September 7th, also at the Al Arabi Sports Club. The qualifying tournaments are
notoriously brutal, as the single elimination, race to 7 matches, combined with the talent from various parts
of the globe all fighting for a crack at pool glory, make the odds of winning six or seven matches in one day
very long indeed.

Those players fortunate enough to wins one of the 12 qualifiers, however, will be met with one of the strongest
overall fields in recent memory. The list of players already qualified for the main draw reads like a veritable
who’s who of greats from across the globe.

The Philippines looks set to make its usual splash. Leading the way for the Philippine contingent is world number
2 Dennis Orcullo, and world number 3 Lee Vann Corteza. Both players have been playing white hot pool in the
last six months and are a threat to win any tournament they enter. Also joining Team Philippines is the young
up and comer, Carlo Biado, the legend and 1999 World 9-ball Champion Efren “Bata” Reyes, and 2010 World
9-ball Champion Francisco Bustamante. Fans can expect a large Philippine squad as many Filipino pool pros, such
as Antonio Gabica, have taken up residence in the Middle East where they work as pool teachers in local clubs
and can easily enter the qualifying tournaments.

Almost all of the top 30 players in the world are confirmed to play in Doha. These include China’s Li Hewen(4),
Hall of Famer Ralf Souquet(5) of Germany, Finland’s Mika Immonen(6), Karl Boyes(7) of Great Britain, and three
greats from Taiwan, Chang Jun Lin(8), Ko Pin Yi(9), and Fu Chei Wei(10). Also in the line up are Germany’s
Thorsten Hohmann(11), the USA’s Shane Van Boening(13), as well as Dutch pool stars Niels Feijen(18) and
Nick Van Den Berg(22).

Fans should also be on the lookout for the Middle East to stamp its mark on this year’s tournament. Since the
World 9-ball was first contested in Doha in 2010, the sport of American pool has seen a surge of interest in the
region, with talent levels rising exponentially on a yearly basis. The trend was clearly evident in last year’s
championship when four players from Kuwait made it to the final 64, a first for any player from the Middle East.
One of those players was young Omar Al Shaheen. The 20 year old Kuwaiti made it all the way to the final 16.
Earlier this year, Al Shaheen proved he was no fluke when he made it to the final four of the prestigious China
Open in Shanghai.

The 2013 World 9-ball Championship is run in two stages. The first stage consists of the qualifier events which
begin today, Monday in Doha and finish on September 5. The main draw begins on September 7th with the
128 players divided up into 16 groups of 8. Players will play a double elimination format, race to 9, alternate break.
The top four players in each group, two from the winners side, and two from the losers side, will advance into the
final 64.

From there beginning on September 11th, the tournament becomes a straight knockout, with all matches single
elimination race to 11, alternate break. The semi-finals and finals will take place on September 13th. The finals
will be a race to 13, alternate break.

The winner of the 2013 World 9-ball Championship will receive $36,000. The runner up will take home $18,000.
The total prize fund is $250,000.

PRIZE FUND (US DOLLARS)

Champion 36,000 USD
Runner-up 18,000 USD
3rd ~ 4th 10,000 USD
5th ~ 8th 6,000 USD
9th ~ 16th 4,000 USD
17th ~ 32nd 2,500 USD
33rd ~ 64th 2,000 USD
65th ~ 96th 500 USD
TOTAL 250,000 USD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:29 pm 

Action starts tomorrow, Sept. 7 with a full compliment of 128 players. Here's a
picture of Efren and Django at the Doha airport, on their arrival late last night.

Cross your fingers guys, hopes this free streaming SITE will work again, just like the previous years...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:45 pm 

Here's the list of all the players (116) --> http://www.qbsf.qa/en/stage_two.php

... and the 12 qualifiers to fill up 128 slots:

Chao Fong Pang (TPE)

Ricky Boy Puro (PHI)

Hsu Kai Lun (TPE)

Marlon Manalo (PHI)

Kuo Po Cheng (TPE)

Hijikata Hayato (JPN)

Vilmos Foldes (HUN)

Raymund Faraon (PHI)

Ali Maghsoud (Iran)

Mark Antonio (PHI)

Salah Arimawi (UAE)

Ramil Gallego (PHI)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:19 pm 

Reyesing the standard

He hails from the "home of pool" and to him goes the credit of inspiring a whole-new generation of Filipino
cueists. Two-time world champion Efren Reyes, who is one of the glittering names at the ongoing World
9-Ball Pool Championship in Doha, revolutionised the game in the Philippines with his pinpoint precision and
accuracy.

Affectionately called ‘Bata’, which is the Filipino equivalent for ‘Kid’— as there was an older player named
Efren when he started playing — Reyes is arguably one of the best pool players in the world at present.

The ace cueist made his title intentions in Doha clear with a 9-3 thrashing of Croatia’s Philipp Stojanovic in
the first game of Stage 2.

The 57-year-old, who had won the 8-Ball Pool bronze for his country at the 2002 Asian Games in Busan,
South Korea, spoke to Doha Stadium Plus about his chances, the sport in his country and how it is to be
a role model.

Being one of the favorites, how would you fancy your chances this time?

This is one title which I’ve been yearning for years. I haven’t won a World 9-Ball Pool title since the 1999
Championship in Cardiff, Wales. So I’m obviously hungry to win one. But it’s easier said than done. The field
is strong with as many as 10 former champions in the fray. The competition has become very tough these
days with the influx of young talent into the game. But I’m confident of putting my best foot forward.

Why is pool so popular in the Philippines?

Well, it has got more to do with our culture and upbringing. Pool is like a festival in the Philippines and it
enjoys government patronage. There’re a lot of pool parlours in the country and youngsters get addicted to
the game at a very young age. Pool is also a source of income for many aspiring cueists who hail from poor
economic background.

There’s scope for ample gambling as well and at least some who find it difficult to make both ends meet take
up the sport as a career. They know that it ensures you financial security.

How does it feel when players like Dennis Orcullo look to you as a role model?

It feels really great when people in my country see me as a father figure in this form of the game. I’m happy
and keen to share my experience. No matter how good a player you’re, it’s always nice to pass on the tips to
youngsters. The more you share, the more you learn and I’m happy to do that. Even when we travel abroad
for tournaments, we make it a point to sit together and exchange ideas.

Qatar has a strong Filipino population. Is it an added incentive when you play in front of them?

Of course. I get huge support whenever I play here and that spurs me on. I feel at home. The fact that the
organizers were forced to change the venue from the Qatar Billiards and Snooker Federation (QBSF) Hall to Al
Sadd Sports Club to accommodate more spectators itself is an acknowledgement of the support that Filipino
cueists get in Doha. In the ’10 final which Francisco Bustamante won, many spectators were disappointed as
they had to watch it on television as the QBSF Hall was crowded. The Al Sadd Hall is more spacious and I’m
happy to see more people coming to watch. There’s no greater joy than to perform in front of your fans.

What’s your take on pool in the Middle East, especially in Qatar?

Pool is rapidly becoming a way of life in the Middle East. You’ve got some good players coming up from countries
like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, which bodes well for the game in the region. The same goes with Qatar.

Some of the youngsters are very hungry for titles and are keen learners of the game. Miracles don’t happen
overnight. But I’m sure in the years to come, Qatar will be a strong force to be reckoned with in pool.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:22 pm 

Orcullo fishing for gold!

If Efren Reyes is the Emperor of Pool in the Philippines, Dennis Orcullo is its Crown Prince.

The story of the 33-year-old, who won the 9-Ball Pool singles gold for his country at the 2010 Asian Games
in Guangzhou, China, is straight out of a script from the dreams.

Orcullo took to pool more as a means of livelihood than a sport.

After being a fisherman in his initial years, during which he slept on the pavements having bare minimum food,
lady luck smiled on him when he found a bit of gold from a river. He exchanged it for membership at a local pool
facility, which changed the course of his life. The rest, as they say, is history.

The little boy from Mount Diwalwal then moved to the busy town of Manila, which was a happy hunting ground
for pool players, and grew from strength to strength.

“I was a fisherman and it was very hard during those days. Money was hard to come by. Those were the days
when I lived on just one meal a day and slept on pavements. But I had a passion for the game right from my
childhood, though a lack of funds didn’t allow me to venture into it. But everything changed dramatically once I
started playing pool in parlours,” recalled Orcollo, about the turning point in his life.

Since 2000, Orcollo has become a household name among Filipino pool fans.

“I feel happy when I see where I’m today. I make it a point to help upcoming youngsters. I don’t want them to
struggle the way I did,” said Orcullo.

Two years before the Guangzhou glory, it was in Doha, where Orcullo showed a glimpse of his talent when he won
the 9-Ball Pool World Championship.

“It was my first world title and it made me believe in myself. After spending years on the road, playing for money
in ramshackle pool halls, I realized that I belonged to the world stage. My advice to youngsters is to never lose
heart and keep going. There’s always a light at the end of the tunnel as my life has proved,” concluded Orcullo.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:30 am 

Taken earlier today...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:44 am 
Heavyweight

once again tnx for the updates mod O.. sana working yung sinabi mong link... :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:44 am 
Heavyweight

once again tnx for the updates mod O.. sana working yung sinabi mong link... :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:47 am 

ayus

WPC na pala

sa forum neto ako unang una nag register :D

"When a table is normalized, the non-key columns depend on the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key." - a DBA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:13 pm 

Click HERE for the main draw...

Pinoys 1st round match-ups:

Efren Reyes vs. Shu Kai Lun
Antonio Gabica vs. Sniegocki Mateusz
Marlon Manalo vs. Hunter Lombardo
Mark Antonio vs. John Morra
Carlo Biado vs. Chris Melling
Ramil Gallego vs. Khamis Obaidly
Jeffery De Luna vs. Radoslaw Babica
Israel Rota vs. Han Hao Xiang
Alex Pagulayan vs. Phil Burford
Ricky Boy Puro vs. Mario He
Francisco Bustamante vs. Mario Morra
Raymund Faraon vs. Mohd Buainain
Lee Van Corteza vs. Mohd Ali Berjawi
Marlon Villamor vs. Kong Bu Hong
Dennis Orcullo vs. Majid Gharehgozlou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:30 pm 

Efren lost his first match to his Taiwanese counterpart, 9 games to 5. He's relegated to the Losers' bracket.
"Marvelous" Marlon Manalo is on the hill, leading American Hunter Lombardo 8 games to 4. Antonio "Gaga"
Gabica's match with Sniegocki Mateusz is all squared at 6 games apiece.

Later in the day, Carlo "Cool" Biado and Mark Antonio will also see action...

Live scoring -->
http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/index.asp?i ... ventid=134

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:42 pm 

I found a working link for Al Kass Sports Network, the station that usually covers this event, but their
schedule doesn't have the World 9-Ball Pool championships on their list. Too bad if this "so called"
World championship event is not even accessible via the internet through live stream...

http://supertvnetwork.com/alkass-sport- ... streaming/

http://shoof.alkass.net/shoof/live/live_3.php

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:22 pm 

Marlon Manalo and Antonio Gabica pulled through in contrasting fashion. Gaga was in a dogfight and prevailed
over his opponent, 9 games to 7, while Marlon was in cruise control as he breezed his way to the next round
crushing Hunter Lombardo via a 9-4 scoreline. I haven't verified this info yet, but the TV matches won't start
until the knockout stages, so we have to make do with the live scoring
LINK for now.

Just check this
SITE from time to time, it has all 5 of Al Kass Sports network channels...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:14 pm 
Cruiserweight

thanks mod o

Tirahin na yan baka tirahin ba ng iba.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:34 pm 

Mark Antonio lost to John Morra, 9 games to 3 while Carlo Biado needs to catch
lightning in a bottle fast as his opponent, Chris Melling is on the hill leading 8 games to 5...

Carlo lost to Chris Melling, 9 games to 5.

Both Pinoys who played on the first day's 2nd session lost and has to do the longer route via
the Losers' bracket if they want to be one of the players in the last 64. It's very doable though...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 562 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next