Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:14 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:26 pm 
Heavyweight

http://www.spin.ph/sports/billiards/new ... retirement

EFREN ‘Bata’ Reyes is giving himself two more years before the Filipino pool legend calls it a career.

Reyes admitted he's considering retiring from the game that has been very good to him now that he's already 59 years old, saying those amazing shots that made him popular in the world of billiards and earned him the monicker ‘The Magician,' are no longer what they used to be.

“Malapit na,” said Reyes when asked by Spin.ph on Friday if retirement is already on the horizon.

“Siguro mga dalawang taon pa,” the former double world champion continued.

The charismatic Reyes, whose popularity reached its pinnacle when he won the 1999 World 9-Ball Championships, has not won a major world title since teaming up with fellow legend Francisco ‘Django’ Bustamante for the World Cup of Pool in 2009.

“Hindi na kapareho ng dati ‘yung tira ko," Reyes said.

The Angeles City native, however, is still very active in the international circuit as he is scheduled to compete this month in the Derby Classic events in the United States.

Just last month, Reyes won a bronze medal in the carom event of the 2013 Southeast Asian Games in Myanmar.

But Reyes was man enough to say he's no longer as invincible as before as he's now more prone to losing against younger opponents.

Unlike before when no one wants to face him, more young players now want to play against him - which for Reyes is a clear sign of how much his game has declined.

"Marami na rin magagaling na mas bata, hinahabol na ako. Ngayon, gusto na nila ako makalaban,” said Reyes.

Although he's now more vulnerable, Reyes remains glad that it is only now that the world is still catching up with Filipino players in terms of talent.

“Pero ngayon palang sila pumaparehas,” he said.

Still, the iconic pool figure continues to enjoy immense popularity.

During the awarding of cash incentives by the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) to all SEA Games medalists during the weekend, Reyes gamely posed for photo requests by fellow athletes, including the popular men’s basketball team.

After retiring, Reyes said he plans to go into coaching, a task which he is now doing as one of the mentors of the women’s national billiards team that includes two-time world 10-ball titlist Rubilen Amit and Iris Ranola.

“Mag-ko-coach na lang ako,” said Reyes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:34 pm 
Heavyweight

One of the GOAT pool players in history. Thank you "The Magician"!

"Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible." - Escher

"I would have never called up Larry, called up Magic (to form a superteam). I want to beat them." - Michael Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:46 pm 
Heavyweight

weezer_23 wrote:
One of the GOAT pool players in history. Thank you "The Magician"!

papi update mo naman yung coltics page natin :p

on topic: matanda na si bata, tama nga yan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:52 pm 
Heavyweight

efren humbly admits he's having hard time keeping up with the younger
generations and contemplates retirement in two years time. yet, i believe
efren can still be highly competitive in other pool game aside from the 9
and 10 balls competitions.

if there's one philippine player who can best play the "ONE POCKET BILLIARDS",
i bet efren is still on top. sadly, one pocket billiards is not popular here in the philippines.
efren have to go to the US where it is regularly played there, yes, regularly played by its
senior citizens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:26 pm 
Welterweight

I do hope big money sponsors will offer once last chance to complete. If I recall right, Bata never lost a game when the prizemoney is above $150k-$200k.

This way, we can really tell if his ability to morphed into formidable form when huge money is on the table still intact even when he ages.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:19 pm 
Welterweight

Battle of the Legends: Earl Strickland & Efren Reyes Go Head to Head at Steinway Billiards

http://www.nycgrind.com/the-latest/battle-legends-earl-strickland-efren-reyes-head-head-steinway-billiards/

Last edited by ram95 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:25 pm 
Heavyweight

Efren's the greatest player I've seen.
I first saw him here back in '95. Efren was the man then. He was winning 33% of the tournaments he played in .
After he won the 1994 US Open, he went on a tear . Won world 8-ball twice then the world 9 in 1999.
He went to the finals of the US Open 4 years in a row. Nobody has ever done that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:29 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Incomparable genious sa billiard si mang efren. I admire him much. For me he is the best pool player in history.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:08 pm 
Cruiserweight

Aww man. I wish this wasn't happening. I like that the consensus in the pool world is that Efren is the better player between the two. The Color of Money battle between Efren & Earl remains one of the, if not the best 1v1 event match in pool. If Earl beats him here then you're gonna have those arguments and claims that Earl is the superior player. He does have more 9-ball titles than Efren

How's Earl shooting nowadays? Is he as washed up as Efren?

ram95 wrote:
Battle of the Legends: Earl Strickland & Efren Reyes Go Head to Head at Steinway Billiards

http://www.nycgrind.com/the-latest/battle-legends-earl-strickland-efren-reyes-head-head-steinway-billiards/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:58 pm 
Cruiserweight

Efren participated in a similar event last year against Van Boening. 3-day event. The games were 9 ball, 8 ball, one pocket. SVB won 8 and 9. Efren took one-pocket obviously. He's like God in in one-pocket.

http://www.azbilliards.com/news/stories ... ver-reyes/

A not surprising observation written in the article:

Quote:
Reyes went out to an early lead but then faltered, appearing to be a bit tired from the previous two days of competition

Hopefully, Earl's age shows up too. lol. Battle of the geriatrics.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:01 pm 
Heavyweight

Simply the Best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:04 pm 
Heavyweight

the magician!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:16 pm 
Welterweight

A couple of years ago I was at a family reunion and one of the people there mentioned about a billiards player in the Philippines who was better than Bata Reyes. Back in the early 1960s there was a kid about as young as Bata still in his teens who would beat him everytime. He was born from a town in Zambales possibly in the Castillejos area. He was so good that he would beat Bata Reyes playing behind his back. Meaning, he will place the pool stick behind his back for every shot and still beat Bata Reyes. This kid was then taken under the guidance of some promoters who let him compete throughout the Philippines even against adults. During his journeys he got introduced to drugs and pretty soon he became a drug addict. He died of a drug overdose while still a teenager. I don't know who this guy is and I don't remember his name but I'm sure Bata Reyes will remember him. If this guy were still alive I think he will be up there with the all time greats together with Reyes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:23 pm 
Heavyweight

Efren "Bata" Reyes for me is the greatest Pool player... 8) :beer:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:42 pm 
Bantamweight

Thank you for the wonderful career! The GOAT. The Michael Jordan of Billiards or should say to Mike he's the Efren Bata Reyes of Basketball :-D