Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:49 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:57 am 
Heavyweight

BDJr wrote:
A couple of years ago I was at a family reunion and one of the people there mentioned about a billiards player in the Philippines who was better than Bata Reyes. Back in the early 1960s there was a kid about as young as Bata still in his teens who would beat him everytime. He was born from a town in Zambales possibly in the Castillejos area. He was so good that he would beat Bata Reyes playing behind his back. Meaning, he will place the pool stick behind his back for every shot and still beat Bata Reyes. This kid was then taken under the guidance of some promoters who let him compete throughout the Philippines even against adults. During his journeys he got introduced to drugs and pretty soon he became a drug addict. He died of a drug overdose while still a teenager. I don't know who this guy is and I don't remember his name but I'm sure Bata Reyes will remember him. If this guy were still alive I think he will be up there with the all time greats together with Reyes.

I'm sure there are a lot of stories about this on who beat who. but it doesn't matter and pretty much pointless. at the end of the day, all that matters if you used that talent wisely or wasted it away. people are remembered or revered for the things they accomplished, not on what could have been. this is the reason why such potentials disappeared to mere obscurity and are relatively unknown. this is why Bata would always be better than those who beat him, including Amang. greatness and respect comes to those who work for it and deserve it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:06 am 
Welterweight

MIC TYSON wrote:
BDJr wrote:
A couple of years ago I was at a family reunion and one of the people there mentioned about a billiards player in the Philippines who was better than Bata Reyes. Back in the early 1960s there was a kid about as young as Bata still in his teens who would beat him everytime. He was born from a town in Zambales possibly in the Castillejos area. He was so good that he would beat Bata Reyes playing behind his back. Meaning, he will place the pool stick behind his back for every shot and still beat Bata Reyes. This kid was then taken under the guidance of some promoters who let him compete throughout the Philippines even against adults. During his journeys he got introduced to drugs and pretty soon he became a drug addict. He died of a drug overdose while still a teenager. I don't know who this guy is and I don't remember his name but I'm sure Bata Reyes will remember him. If this guy were still alive I think he will be up there with the all time greats together with Reyes.

I'm sure there are a lot of stories about this on who beat who. but it doesn't matter and pretty much pointless. at the end of the day, all that matters if you used that talent wisely or wasted it away. people are remembered or revered for the things they accomplished, not on what could have been. this is the reason why such potentials disappeared to mere obscurity and are relatively unknown. this is why Bata would always be better than those who beat him, including Amang. greatness and respect comes to those who work for it and deserve it.

I think you're taking it the wrong way. I am in no way disparaging Bata Reyes. I think he's the best billiards player to ever come out of the Philippines. I was only sharing one of the untold stories of Bata Reyes growing up. There are plenty of similar "could have been" players in other sports but I am not sure with Bata Reyes. If you know of other stories of players in their teens or in high school who were able to beat Bata Reyes growing up or who were able to play just as well as he can, but never make it to the big time at the global stage, then let me know because I'd like to know more about them. You said there are a lot of stories on who beat Bata Reyes as a child. If you know of any stories I'd like to hear more about who they are and where they are now.

In American basketball there are players who potentially could have been as good or maybe better than Michael Jordan. One of them is named Earl Manigualt whose nickname is The Goat. When Kareem Abdul Jabbar was asked who was the best basketball player he ever played against or with in his life, he thought long and hard and said "The Goat". Growing up in Harlem Earl Manigault was considered the best street basketball player in New York City who played with Kareem, Connie Hawkins and Earl "The Pearl" Monroe. 75 colleges offered him scholarships even if he couldn't read or write. He was the star of his high school team and was destined for greatness in the NBA. He was best known for the "double dunk" where he can dunk the ball with his left hand, wait for the ball to fall out of the hoop and dunk it again w/his right hand, all in a single jump without hanging onto the rim. He was an excellent 3-point shooter and he could grab a coin at the top of the backboard at only 6' 1". However, he got hooked with the wrong crowd, got addicted to heroin, and he ended up spending 3 years in prison. He was never able to make it to the NBA due to his drug and criminal problems but many people believe he could have been just as good as Michael Jordan. We will never know.

If you know of any similar stories with Bata Reyes let me know as I'm interested to know more about them. As you said there are a lot of stories out there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:25 am 
Heavyweight

BDJr wrote:
MIC TYSON wrote:
BDJr wrote:

I think you're taking it the wrong way. I am in no way disparaging Bata Reyes. I think he's the best billiards player to ever come out of the Philippines. I was only sharing one of the untold stories of Bata Reyes growing up. There are plenty of similar "could have been" players in other sports but I am not sure with Bata Reyes. If you know of other stories of players in their teens or in high school who were able to beat Bata Reyes growing up or who were able to play just as well as he can, but never make it to the big time at the global stage, then let me know because I'd like to know more about them. You said there are a lot of stories on who beat Bata Reyes as a child. If you know of any stories I'd like to hear more about who they are and where they are now.

In American basketball there are players who potentially could have been as good or maybe better than Michael Jordan. One of them is named Earl Manigualt whose nickname is The Goat. When Kareem Abdul Jabbar was asked who was the best basketball player he ever played against or with in his life, he thought long and hard and said "The Goat". Growing up in Harlem Earl Manigault was considered the best street basketball player in New York City who played with Kareem, Connie Hawkins and Earl "The Pearl" Monroe. 75 colleges offered him scholarships even if he couldn't read or write. He was the star of his high school team and was destined for greatness in the NBA. He was best known for the "double dunk" where he can dunk the ball with his left hand, wait for the ball to fall out of the hoop and dunk it again w/his right hand, all in a single jump without hanging onto the rim. He was an excellent 3-point shooter and he could grab a coin at the top of the backboard at only 6' 1". However, he got hooked with the wrong crowd, got addicted to heroin, and he ended up spending 3 years in prison. He was never able to make it to the NBA due to his drug and criminal problems but many people believe he could have been just as good as Michael Jordan. We will never know.

If you know of any similar stories with Bata Reyes let me know as I'm interested to know more about them. As you said there are a lot of stories out there.

I HAVE SERIOUS DOUBT about that story .
When Efren was 13 years old, he beat the #8 player in the Phil.
By the time Efren turned 19 years old, he was the best player in the land ( Parica might have arguably been better then as he was a little older than Efren ).
There was one player who was ahead of Efren that was supposed to be really good.
His monicker was Boy Bicol. Boy Bicol was killed along with his manager after they lost a match . Boy was giving a huge spot and lost .
Bustmante himself said Efren is the best ever. He learned the hard way. Bustamante was beating everyone in the islands playing rotation. Then he was offered a match with Efren. He was getting 71-49 spot. Bustamante said all he did was watch Efren run-out .
Efren was a different animal on rotation. If you missed the getting out from the 5 ball, he was out.
Boy Bicol and Totoy Dacer are probably the two "could have beens" in Philippine pool. Dacer is still alive and was once member of the Philippine team. Ahead of Luat and Andam. But, he never made it to the states . And he did not become rich like Efren and Bustamante.
If I see Efren again, I'll ask him about that Zambales kid if he really existed and how good he was .
Efren himself told me, when he was 19 years old, he did not care who he played. And that he played his best pool BEFORE 1980.
Which is kinda shocking b/c he came to the US around 1985. Meaning he was already past his best years when he came here.
And he won his US Open in 1994.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:28 am 
Heavyweight

Quote:

I call that the Billy Ray Bates wasted talent story.
Billy Ray Bates was so talented, he should have been as big as Dr J. He could fly like Dr J and shot better from the outside .
But, alcohol got in the way.
There's another playground legend . People swore he could out fly Dr. J. But, never made it to the NBA.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:17 am 
Heavyweight

BDJr wrote:

if the encounter between efren and the deceased teenager happened in the early 1960s, efren must have been so young and not yet on his teen age period, while the other guy as you said, was already a teenager. meaning he's much older than efren and must have acquired years of experience already compared to efren. he (efren) must be a beginner during that time that's why the much experienced teenager gave efren the back hand "partida". in my estimate efren turned 57 years old as of last year 2013. granting their match took place in 1963 (early 1960s, right?),therefore their match happened 50 years ago and efren was still 7 years old playing against the much experienced teenager. if only the teenager survived and got to play efren again 10 years after their last encounter, i doubt if he'd have the chance of winning against the already primed efren.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:41 am 
Welterweight

By the time Efren turned 19 years old, he was the best player in the land ( Parica might have arguably been better then as he was a little older than Efren ).
There was one player who was ahead of Efren that was supposed to be really good.
His monicker was Boy Bicol. Boy Bicol was killed along with his manager after they lost a match . Boy was giving a huge spot and lost .
Bustmante himself said Efren is the best ever. He learned the hard way. Bustamante was beating everyone in the islands playing rotation. Then he was offered a match with Efren. He was getting 71-49 spot. Bustamante said all he did was watch Efren run-out .
Efren was a different animal on rotation. If you missed the getting out from the 5 ball, he was out.
Boy Bicol and Totoy Dacer are probably the two "could have beens" in Philippine pool. Dacer is still alive and was once member of the Philippine team. Ahead of Luat and Andam. But, he never made it to the states . And he did not become rich like Efren and Bustamante.
If I see Efren again, I'll ask him about that Zambales kid if he really existed and how good he was .
Efren himself told me, when he was 19 years old, he did not care who he played. And that he played his best pool BEFORE 1980.
Which is kinda shocking b/c he came to the US around 1985. Meaning he was already past his best years when he came here.
And he won his US Open in 1994.[/quote]

Thanks for the update. This is very good stuff. Yes, if you see Efren again please ask him. I just heard this story at a family reunion and I'm just going by his word. It's possible it may not be true. However, I will try to get back in touch with that individual to get the name of that player so you can ask Efren if he remembers him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:23 am 
Cruiserweight

Its great to read these urban legend stories. I'm not surprised to hear there are some obscure pool sharks out there. Competition breeds excellence. Efren couldn't have been the only big fish in the pond.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:04 am 
Welterweight

[/quote]
And he won his US Open in 1994.[/quote]

I have finally heard back from my relatives and the name of the pool player I am referring to is known as Lakay Almazan. He was of Ilocano descent in the San Narciso, Zambales area. Lakay is not his real 1st name but that's what they used to call him growing up. He grew up in a billiards hall and slept there as well. He was about 2 years older than Bata Reyes and he was a classmate of my dad's younger brother. Lakay Almazan played Bata Reyes when they were teenagers and Bata Reyes would ask for a handicap or extra points because he was much better than Bata Reyes. If Bata Reyes was 13 years old when he beat the #8 player in the nation, then Lakay was 15 years old. Afterwards, Lakay moved to Mindanao. He got hooked on drugs and later died of an overdose. My dad knew him personally but then lost contact after he moved to the US when he was a teenager in the late 1960s, which was the last time they saw each other. It's possible when Reyes and Almazan reached their 20s that Reyes would have improved and beaten Lakay. But it's also possible Almazan could have progressed and been better than Reyes. But we will never know since Lakay died as a teen.

If ever you meet up with Efren "Bata" Reyes, ask him if he remembers Lakay Almazan. I'd like to know what he has to say about him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:26 am 
Welterweight

dominic wrote:
BDJr wrote:

if the encounter between efren and the deceased teenager happened in the early 1960s, efren must have been so young and not yet on his teen age period, while the other guy as you said, was already a teenager. meaning he's much older than efren and must have acquired years of experience already compared to efren. he (efren) must be a beginner during that time that's why the much experienced teenager gave efren the back hand "partida". in my estimate efren turned 57 years old as of last year 2013. granting their match took place in 1963 (early 1960s, right?),therefore their match happened 50 years ago and efren was still 7 years old playing against the much experienced teenager. if only the teenager survived and got to play efren again 10 years after their last encounter, i doubt if he'd have the chance of winning against the already primed efren.

Bata Reyes was born in August 1954 which means he's turning 60 this year. I got in touch with my relatives and the name of the kid I'm referring to is Lakay Almazan. Lakay is not his real name but that's what they called him growing up. He's from San Narciso, Zambales. Almazan was 2 years older than Reyes. Reyes would ask for extra points or a handicap when playing Almazan because he was better than Reyes. However, Almazan moved to Mindanao and died of a drug overdose when he was a teenager and so that ended his billiards career. If he was able to beat Bata Reyes as a teen, who knows how he would have done at a later age. We will never know.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:30 am 
Welterweight

JoeyInCali wrote:

Thanks for the update. This is very good stuff. Yes, if you see Efren again please ask him. I just heard this story at a family reunion and I'm just going by his word. It's possible it may not be true. However, I will try to get back in touch with that individual to get the name of that player so you can ask Efren if he remembers him.[/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:34 am 
Welterweight

JoeyInCali wrote:

I have finally heard back from my relatives and the name of the pool player I am referring to is known as Lakay Almazan. He was of Ilocano descent in the San Narciso, Zambales area. Lakay is not his real 1st name but that's what they used to call him growing up. He grew up in a billiards hall and slept there as well. He was about 2 years older than Bata Reyes and he was a classmate of my dad's younger brother. Lakay Almazan played Bata Reyes when they were teenagers and Bata Reyes would ask for a handicap or extra points because he was much better than Bata Reyes. If Bata Reyes was 13 years old when he beat the #8 player in the nation, then Lakay was 15 years old. Afterwards, Lakay moved to Mindanao. He got hooked on drugs and later died of an overdose. My dad knew him personally but then lost contact after he moved to the US when he was a teenager in the late 1960s, which was the last time they saw each other. It's possible when Reyes and Almazan reached their 20s that Reyes would have improved and beaten Lakay. But it's also possible Almazan could have progressed and been better than Reyes. But we will never know since Lakay died as a teen.

If ever you meet up with Efren "Bata" Reyes, ask him if he remembers Lakay Almazan. I'd like to know what he has to say about him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:11 am 
Heavyweight

Quote:

Efren used to sleep under the table at Lucky 13 in Quiapo.
In fact he was there the day Ben Tumbling was shot by the cops.
If Lakay was that good then, then he was probably a future world beater .
Problem was, pool back in the Philippines was just a game for the tambays .
Parica went to the US around 1980 and realized there was so much more money here .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:30 pm 
Heavyweight

Grade 3 ako nung time na to, lupet ni bata :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:29 pm 
Welterweight

JoeyInCali wrote:
Quote:

Parica went to the US around 1980 and realized there was so much more money here .

I just wanted to make a correction about the story about Lakay Almazan. He never beat Bata Reyes playing behind his back. I got the story mixed up. Instead, he was in Pangasinan one time and he felt sorry for the pool sharks there. So to give them a handicap he played behind his back (pool stick behind his back) and he still beat them.

Also, correction about the age. Lakay was not older than Reyes. They were both the same age as Lakay was 13 years old in 1967. I believe Reyes was born in 1954. If so, they were both the same age.

If Reyes had to ask for a handicap playing Lakay, then Lakay was either just as good as Bata or Lakay was that much better. It's a wasted talent as we will never know how far he could have gone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:06 pm 
Heavyweight

JoeyInCali wrote:
Quote:

it was actually at the "lucky 13" billiard hall where efren honed his skills in billiards.

back then there were so many top rated players from all over the philippines worthy

to be considered world beaters, but during his prime efren topped them all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next