Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:05 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:34 pm 
Middleweight

A legend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:37 pm 
Cruiserweight

The heck....he should be battling in the seniors' tourney

matagal na dapat niyang ginawa yun.

Reflexes fade as you get older, that's a given

Kahit ilaban mo si bata sa rank no. 50th na taiwanese, pupusta ako sa Taiwanese

Hats off to him tho, for his achievement

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:48 pm 
Heavyweight

No idol. konting wisik wisik lang ang kailangan.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:55 pm 
Featherweight

the magician knows when it's over. salamat at mabuhay ka bata!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:34 pm 
Heavyweight

Pinakamagaling. Numero Uno :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:09 am 
Heavyweight

BDJr wrote:
MIC TYSON wrote:
BDJr wrote:
A couple of years ago I was at a family reunion and one of the people there mentioned about a billiards player in the Philippines who was better than Bata Reyes. Back in the early 1960s there was a kid about as young as Bata still in his teens who would beat him everytime. He was born from a town in Zambales possibly in the Castillejos area. He was so good that he would beat Bata Reyes playing behind his back. Meaning, he will place the pool stick behind his back for every shot and still beat Bata Reyes. This kid was then taken under the guidance of some promoters who let him compete throughout the Philippines even against adults. During his journeys he got introduced to drugs and pretty soon he became a drug addict. He died of a drug overdose while still a teenager. I don't know who this guy is and I don't remember his name but I'm sure Bata Reyes will remember him. If this guy were still alive I think he will be up there with the all time greats together with Reyes.

I'm sure there are a lot of stories about this on who beat who. but it doesn't matter and pretty much pointless. at the end of the day, all that matters if you used that talent wisely or wasted it away. people are remembered or revered for the things they accomplished, not on what could have been. this is the reason why such potentials disappeared to mere obscurity and are relatively unknown. this is why Bata would always be better than those who beat him, including Amang. greatness and respect comes to those who work for it and deserve it.

I think you're taking it the wrong way. I am in no way disparaging Bata Reyes. I think he's the best billiards player to ever come out of the Philippines. I was only sharing one of the untold stories of Bata Reyes growing up. There are plenty of similar "could have been" players in other sports but I am not sure with Bata Reyes. If you know of other stories of players in their teens or in high school who were able to beat Bata Reyes growing up or who were able to play just as well as he can, but never make it to the big time at the global stage, then let me know because I'd like to know more about them. You said there are a lot of stories on who beat Bata Reyes as a child. If you know of any stories I'd like to hear more about who they are and where they are now.

In American basketball there are players who potentially could have been as good or maybe better than Michael Jordan. One of them is named Earl Manigualt whose nickname is The Goat. When Kareem Abdul Jabbar was asked who was the best basketball player he ever played against or with in his life, he thought long and hard and said "The Goat". Growing up in Harlem Earl Manigault was considered the best street basketball player in New York City who played with Kareem, Connie Hawkins and Earl "The Pearl" Monroe. 75 colleges offered him scholarships even if he couldn't read or write. He was the star of his high school team and was destined for greatness in the NBA. He was best known for the "double dunk" where he can dunk the ball with his left hand, wait for the ball to fall out of the hoop and dunk it again w/his right hand, all in a single jump without hanging onto the rim. He was an excellent 3-point shooter and he could grab a coin at the top of the backboard at only 6' 1". However, he got hooked with the wrong crowd, got addicted to heroin, and he ended up spending 3 years in prison. He was never able to make it to the NBA due to his drug and criminal problems but many people believe he could have been just as good as Michael Jordan. We will never know.

If you know of any similar stories with Bata Reyes let me know as I'm interested to know more about them. As you said there are a lot of stories out there.

no, I'm not taking it the wrong way but just saying there are a lot of really good players in the Philippines. and saying that fame comes to those who work for it and some little bit of luck. as far as stories go, I heard a story of a fella that was supposedly was as good with the likes of Bata and Bustamante. it was claimed that he was strong that he was used in harang against them. this fella was from baguio or did study in baguio in the 80's but spend more time in pool halls than actually attending his academics. so I think he never finished his academics but rather attend tournaments and harang invitations. I would guess his age would be a teenager or early 20's in the late 80's I would believe. I'm not sure if he was Ilocano or a native of that region. as far as what happened to that guy, I have no idea at all. I forgot the name because I heard it almost 20 years ago.

as far as that goat fella that Kareem was talking about, I think they made a movie about him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:11 am 
Heavyweight

senyorito wrote:

mali, it should be >>>> PINAKA - MAGALENG-GA , NUMERO UNO ! ( British announcer ). :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:04 am 
Heavyweight

BEERHAUZ wrote:
The heck....he should be battling in the seniors' tourney

matagal na dapat niyang ginawa yun.

Reflexes fade as you get older, that's a given

Kahit ilaban mo si bata sa rank no. 50th na taiwanese, pupusta ako sa Taiwanese

Hats off to him tho, for his achievement

There is no such thing as senior tournament anymore.
The Mizerak started his own senior's tour one time but that was 2 decades ago and he's dead.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:19 pm 
Heavyweight

MIC TYSON wrote:
senyorito wrote:

mali, it should be >>>> PINAKA - MAGALENG-GA , NUMERO UNO ! ( British announcer ). :D

Heheheh ok bro. Thanks :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:18 pm 
Heavyweight

Efren's 2nd night in the US this year, he's up some $8K on the table.
He beat a kid 3 sets to 0 ( one-pocket game. Efren was spotting the kid 9-6 ).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:28 pm 
Heavyweight

ram95 wrote:
Battle of the Legends: Earl Strickland & Efren Reyes Go Head to Head at Steinway Billiards

http://www.nycgrind.com/the-latest/battle-legends-earl-strickland-efren-reyes-head-head-steinway-billiards/

Malapit na to :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:18 am 
Heavyweight

senyorito wrote:
MIC TYSON wrote:
senyorito wrote:

Heheheh ok bro. Thanks :D

meron pa isa, yung di pa kilala si DJANGO.

FRANCISCO BUSTREMENTE ! - same british announcer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pero eto yung matindi. yung debut ni Manny sa U.S.

PAK-WA-YAW ! PAK-WA-YAW ! PAK-WA-YAW - boxing commentators during LEDWABA fight. buti pa si LEDWABA, tama yung bigkas sa name nya. mga YAWA ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:21 am 
Heavyweight

Strickland draws first blood against ‘Bata’ Reyes in Battle of Legends

http://www.spin.ph/sports/billiards/new ... of-legends

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:12 am 
Cruiserweight

Kamukha na ni Lizardo (Panday) si Bata ah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:28 am 
Heavyweight

senyorito wrote:
Strickland draws first blood against ‘Bata’ Reyes in Battle of Legends

http://www.spin.ph/sports/billiards/new ... of-legends

efren ain't heated yet.

he must have taken a shower. :biglaugh:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next