Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:07 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: About The ALA Boxing Gym
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:51 pm 
Featherweight

About The ALA Boxing Gym

Hi Brian, hope you can give your insights on this. I'm a Filipino particularly a Cebuano who happens to be the place of the famed world class "ALA" gym where top contenders are molded. I've just noticed their fighters fall short on world title shots like Rey "Boom Boom" Bautista KO'd by Daniel Ponce de Leon, Z "Dream" Gorres lost to Fernando Montiel and a draw with Vic Darchinyan and the recent KO loss to my favorite AJ "Bazooka" Banal by Rafael Concepcion.

I just thought Banal was too strong for Concepcion. If you've seen the fight, Banal pummeled Concepcion with strong punches that almost KO'd the Panamanian if he didn’t hold Banal for dear life. But in the later rounds Banal lost his pace and ran out of gas, then went the shocking KO. I even believe that it was not a strong punch that caught AJ, it's just that he was too tired that even a fancy jab would sent him on the canvas. Stamina was the main factor of the fight.

I have great respect for the trainer and owner of "ALA" stable but I don't think they're capable enough to bring out the best of their fighters. Sorry to say that if AJ Banal was trained by Roca or Roach he could pull the trigger and would have stamina to fight toe to toe even if it went twelve full rounds. But sad to say "ALA" boxers are great in terms of style and power punches but don’t have the stamina to go full rounds.

I hope you can answer these Brian:
1.) What does "ALA" gym lack? Do they need world class trainers or say experts on conditioning or weight management?
2.) If the "ALA" boys were trained here in the U.S with the experts can you say they would have won their world championship fights?
3.) In your own opinion what advice do you have for the boxers and the management of the "ALA" stable to bring out the best on their boxers and among them to compete with the world champions and the world class gyms or stables.

Thank you Brian and sorry if this is quite long but you need to shed light on these. Good luck!

-Soysiken

Soysiken,

The ALA gym and their trainers are very good and I respect what they do very much. They are old school in their teachings though. Most modern fighters (who have the money) also have a conditioning coach and a nutritionist in addition to their trainers.

In the case of Banal vs. Concepcion, yes AJ ran out of gas. Extra stamina would have come in handy but the problem may have been his strategy. He expended too much energy in the early rounds and Concepcion wisely employed a makeshift rope-a-dope strategy that wore out Banal. If Banal had been less tense, less nervous, and paced himself better perhaps the outcome would have been different. This kind of wisdom and ring intelligence comes with time and experience.

The trainers in the USA in general are not better than the ones at the ALA gym. I think that the overall ability of boxing trainers in the US as a whole has steadily declined over the years. There are only a few bright spots of elite trainers like Freddie Roach and Emanuel Steward among others.

Besides, a trainer can only take a fighter so far. He teaches him how to box and it is up to the fighter to show his championship mettle in the ring. I do not have much advice for the trainers at the ALA gym except that conditioning coaches could be helpful for some boxers with stamina problems.

http://www.ringsidereport.com/rsr/news.php

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:35 am 
Welterweight

one thing with ALA boxers is that either they QUIT or they run out gas. its not the trainers FAULT AT ALL... they should clean out there stable.start from bottom.clean house.get rid of them stupid nick names. quit trying to be the the next manny. be yourselves,remember the trainers cant make Boxers out of CHEERLEADERS ......

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:37 pm 
Cruiserweight

It's time for ALA to take a part of the pay of the boxers....At least the boxers will know that they would not get the full amount even if they lose. It's time to be a "real" boxing stable. Time to really make the boxers pay....;)