Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 9:42 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 171  Next
 Post subject: Re: DID YOU KNOW THAT...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:53 am 
Heavyweight

After police officers and soldiers, teachers are next in line for a salary increase, President Duterte promised on Thursday.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:53 am 
Heavyweight

The President said he was willing to meet with teachers’ representatives in Malacañang and strike a deal with them in the presence of Education Secretary Leonor Briones. But he will not meet with teachers affiliated with Leftist groups.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:55 am 
Heavyweight

Despite his recent attacks against the Catholic Church and its doctrines, President Rodrigo Duterte declared the last Monday of January every year as National Bible Day. Mr. Duterte signed Republic Act No. 11163 setting the day as a special working holiday on Dec. 20, 2018.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:02 am 
Heavyweight

Duterte studied political science at theLyceum of the Philippines University, graduating in 1968, before obtaining a lawdegree from San Beda College of Law in 1972. He then worked as a lawyer and was a prosecutor for Davao City, a highly urbanized city on Mindanao island, before becoming vice mayor and, subsequently, mayor of the city in the wake of the Philippine Revolution of 1986. Duterte was among the longest-serving mayors in the Philippines, serving seven terms and totaling more than 22 years in office.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:34 pm 
Heavyweight

On May 9, 2016, Duterte won the Philippine presidential election with 39.01% of the votes, defeating four other candidates, namely Mar Roxas of the Liberal Party (23.4%), Senator Grace Poe (21.6%), former vice presidentJejomar Binay of the United Nationalist Alliance (12.9%), and the late Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago of the People's Reform Party (3%).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:36 pm 
Heavyweight

Duterte was born on March 28, 1945, in Maasin, Leyte. His father was Vicente G. Duterte(1911–1968), a Cebuano lawyer, and his mother, Soledad Duterte (née Roa; 1916–2012), was a school teacher from Cabadbaran, Agusan and a civic leader ofMaranao descent.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:38 pm 
Heavyweight

Duterte's father was mayor of Danao, Cebu, and subsequently the provincial governor of (the then-undivided)Davao province. Rodrigo's cousin Ronald was mayor of Cebu City from 1983 to 1986. Ronald's father, Ramon Duterte, also held the position from 1957 to 1959. The Dutertes consider the Cebu-based political families of the Durano and the Almendras clan as relatives.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:39 pm 
Heavyweight

Duterte also has relatives from the Roa clan in Leyte through his mother's side. Duterte's family lived in Maasin, and in his father's hometown in Danao, until he was four years old. The Dutertes initially moved to Mindanao in 1948 but still went back and forth to the Visayas until 1949. They finally settled in the Davao Region in 1950. Vicente worked as a lawyer engaged in private practice. Soledad worked as a teacher until 1952 when Vicente entered politics.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:43 pm 
Heavyweight

Duterte went to Laboon Elementary School in Maasin, for a year. He spent his remaining elementary days at the Santa Ana Elementary School in Davao City, where he graduated in 1956. He finished his secondary education in the High School Department of the then-Holy Cross College of Digos (now Cor Jesu College) in today's city of Digos in the now defunct Davao province, after being expelled twice from previous schools, including one inAteneo de Davao University (AdDU) High School due to misconduct.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:27 pm 
Heavyweight

He graduated in 1968 with a Bachelor of Arts degree inpolitical science at the Lyceum of the Philippines in Manila. He obtained a law degree from San Beda College of Law in 1972. In the same year, he passed the bar exam. Duterte eventually became a Special Counsel at the City Prosecution Office in Davao City from 1977–79, Fourth Assistant City Prosecutor from 1979–81, Third Assistant City Prosecutor from 1981–83, and Second Assistant City Prosecutor from 1983–86.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:28 pm 
Heavyweight

After the 1986 People Power Revolution, Duterte was appointed officer-in-charge vice mayor by president Corazon Aquino. In 1988, he ran for mayor and won, serving until 1998. He set a precedent by designating deputy mayors that represented the Lumad and Moro peoples in the city government, which was later copied in other parts of the Philippines. In 1998, because he was term-limited to run again for mayor, he ran for the House of Representatives and won as Congressman of the 1st District of Davao City (under the Laban ng Makabayang Masang Pilipino coalition). In 2001, he ran again for mayor in Davao and was again elected for his fourth term. He was re-elected in 2004 and in 2007.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:29 pm 
Heavyweight

In 2010, he was elected vice mayor, succeeding his daughter, Sara Duterte-Carpio, who was elected as mayor. He has been offered the Interior Secretary post 4 times, by presidents Fidel V. Ramos, Joseph Ejercito Estrada, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo andBenigno S. Aquino III, but rejected all of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:30 pm 
Heavyweight

At the age of 71, Duterte became the oldest person ever elected to the presidency. Duterte is also the first local chief executive to get elected straight to the Office of the President, the second Cebuano to become president (after Sergio Osmeña), the third Cebuano-speaking president (after Osmeña and Carlos P. Garcia), the first Visayan from Mindanaoand the fourth Visayan overall (after Osmeña,Manuel Roxas and Garcia).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:33 pm 
Heavyweight

A Pulse Asia survey conducted from July 2–8, 2016 showed that Duterte had a trust rating of 91%, the highest of the six presidents since the Marcos dictatorship (the previous highest was Duterte's predecessor, Benigno Aquino III with 87%). One year after taking office his trust rating was 81%.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:49 pm 
Heavyweight

On October 18–21, 2016, Duterte visited Beijing to meet with Chinese officials, including President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Keqiang. While announcing his "separation" from the United States in front of Chinese and Filipino businessmen at the Philippines–China Trade and Investment Forum in Beijing on October 20, Duterte also said that he would realign himself with the Chinese ideological flow and that he might also travel to Russia to meet with President Vladimir Putin to "tell him that there are three of us against the world – China, Philippines, and Russia".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 171  Next