Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:19 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Why most Americans don't like our food?
A. Poor presentation 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
B. it's a food from a 3rd world country 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
C. Afraid it might have dog meat in it 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
D. Unfamiliarity 39%  39%  [ 9 ]
E. lack of promotion by the filipinos 39%  39%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 23
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:39 am 
Heavyweight

Ever since I came to US I noticed Americans won't eat if not barely taste our food especially the meats. All they eat is pancit or egg roll. In pinoy restaurants you barely see any non filipinos there. If there is I guess they don't have a choice 'coz their wife or husband happens to be pinoys while if you go to malaysian or thai restaurants the customers are diverse and yet their food is very similar to ours. Who would have liked eating raw fish but japanese restaurants are filled with white american but seldom blacks though. I would like to invite my American acquiantances and friends but I feel bad for them eating there with barely any choices for them. Sometimes I end up having italian or american dishes just for them but I feel like defeating the purpose of inviting them that is to introduce to our culture. Why do you think they don't seem to like our food? Anthony burdain liked our food and wondered why it's almost non existent in American mainstream.

Non Filipino Americans unbiased critique highly appreciated. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:05 am 
Heavyweight

because of religious beliefs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:09 am 
Heavyweight

seriously, maybe because we really don't have a signature dish according to bourdain.

like pasta to italians
kimchi to koreans
hamburgers to americans :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:10 am 
Heavyweight

i can take C, D and E as answers on the poll.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:00 am 
Light Heavyweight

freewheeze wrote:
seriously, maybe because we really don't have a signature dish according to bourdain.

like pasta to italians
kimchi to koreans
hamburgers to americans :mrgreen:

and noodles to chinese :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:18 am 
Heavyweight

So lack of originality?' Langya buking na talaga yung pangogopya ng pinoy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:42 am 
Heavyweight

i think the high salt content of most of our food like menudo, adobo, kaldereta, binagoongan etc isn't acceptable to them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:50 am 
Heavyweight

dencioPT101 wrote:
i think the high salt content of most of our food like menudo, adobo, kaldereta, binagoongan etc isn't acceptable to them.

mas high fat and high salt content naman ang mga fast food ng americans eh doc.

nalala ko may grandfather ako(2nd degree) na 1950's nag migrate na sa america, he married an american nurse from chicago.

relatives would tell us stories how the american wife would diss pinoy food every reunion or gathering in california. she never tasted our food even out of gesture lang... it came to a point of she was disrespecting our food and culture, she would utter I can't stand your FOOD..

one b1tchy aunt of ours had enough and threw her a bag of DORITOS and told her.
HERE, GO EAT YOUR FOOD!
american wife never attended any pinoy gatherings after that.
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:51 am 
Heavyweight

jasperjack1968 wrote:
So lack of originality?' Langya buking na talaga yung pangogopya ng pinoy.

asan ang lack of originality diyan? obob :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:54 am 
Heavyweight

freewheeze wrote:
dencioPT101 wrote:

mas high fat and high salt content naman ang mga fast food ng americans eh doc.

nalala ko may grandfather ako(2nd degree) na 1950's nag migrate na sa america, he married an american nurse from chicago.

relatives would tell us stories how the american wife would diss pinoy food every reunion or gathering in california. she never tasted our food even out of gesture lang... it came to a point of she was disrespecting our food and culture, she would utter I can't stand your FOOD..

one b1tchy aunt of ours had enough and threw her a bag of DORITOS and told her.
HERE, GO EAT YOUR FOOD!
american wife never attended any pinoy gatherings after that.
:mrgreen:

may lahing bitch pala kayo
:biglaugh:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:54 am 
Heavyweight

mods oh may epal na b1tch^ :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:55 am 
Heavyweight

i chose unfamiliarity. but nonetheless they like our sisig and adobo though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:09 am 
Heavyweight

Filipinos love their food, and it seems as though the US is poised to fall in love with it as well — at least according to top American food critic and “Bizarre Foods” host Andrew Zimmern.

“I predict, two years from now, Filipino food will be what we will have been talking about for six months… I think that’s going to be the next big thing,” Zimmern said in an article on the Today Show food blog.

“San Diego is now a big enough ethnic population of Filipinos that chefs are going there and seeing stuff. I think it’ll creep up into Los Angeles and from there go around the rest of the country,” Zimmern explained in the article.

“It’s just starting. I think it’s going to take another year and a half to get up to critical mass, but everybody loves Chinese food, Thai food, Japanese food, and it’s all been exploited. The Filipinos combined the best of all of that with Spanish technique,” Zimmern added.

He also said in the article that Spanish cooking techniques applied to Asian ingredients are “miraculous.”

In 2009, another culinary expert, chef and “No Reservations” host Anthony Bourdain, also sang praises to Filipino cuisine, ranking the Philippines number one in his “Hierarchy of Pork.”

In a blog on the Travel Channel website, Bourdain called sisig a “divine mosaic of pig parts,” and hailed it as “one of the world’s best beer-drinking dishes.” He also said that the Cebu lechon was the best whole roasted pig dish he’s had in the world.

“If nothing else, I hope that homesick Filipinos living abroad get a glimpse of some of the food and scenery they’ve no doubt been missing. And for viewers who weren’t previously familiar with the wide and tasty spectrum of flavors available over there, I hope the sight of me shoving a lot of very tasty stuff into my maw provides — if nothing else — inspiration to look further,” Bourdain wrote.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:24 pm 
Heavyweight

zeke_gabriel wrote:
Filipinos love their food, and it seems as though the US is poised to fall in love with it as well — at least according to top American food critic and “Bizarre Foods” host Andrew Zimmern.

“I predict, two years from now, Filipino food will be what we will have been talking about for six months… I think that’s going to be the next big thing,” Zimmern said in an article on the Today Show food blog.

“San Diego is now a big enough ethnic population of Filipinos that chefs are going there and seeing stuff. I think it’ll creep up into Los Angeles and from there go around the rest of the country,” Zimmern explained in the article.

“It’s just starting. I think it’s going to take another year and a half to get up to critical mass, but everybody loves Chinese food, Thai food, Japanese food, and it’s all been exploited. The Filipinos combined the best of all of that with Spanish technique,” Zimmern added.

He also said in the article that Spanish cooking techniques applied to Asian ingredients are “miraculous.”

In 2009, another culinary expert, chef and “No Reservations” host Anthony Bourdain, also sang praises to Filipino cuisine, ranking the Philippines number one in his “Hierarchy of Pork.”

In a blog on the Travel Channel website, Bourdain called sisig a “divine mosaic of pig parts,” and hailed it as “one of the world’s best beer-drinking dishes.” He also said that the Cebu lechon was the best whole roasted pig dish he’s had in the world.

“If nothing else, I hope that homesick Filipinos living abroad get a glimpse of some of the food and scenery they’ve no doubt been missing. And for viewers who weren’t previously familiar with the wide and tasty spectrum of flavors available over there, I hope the sight of me shoving a lot of very tasty stuff into my maw provides — if nothing else — inspiration to look further,” Bourdain wrote.

Andrew zimmern and anthony bourdain are one of the few open minded people in terms of how they view cuisines of other cultures. I met a lot of american people who won't even try. One female white american whos husband is filipinos said our food looks weird but tasty. By that it must be unfamiliarity. If we're not a 3rd world country maybe they would try and get used to it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:29 pm 
Heavyweight

kamatis.eater!!! wrote:
i chose unfamiliarity. but nonetheless they like our sisig and adobo though.

Sure but i bet you're a lot from them saying "ehat's that?" with a matching facial expression. :-)