Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:29 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:08 pm 
Heavyweight

villa82 wrote:
True the topic title may be a little misleading thats my bad.

I understand where some of you are coming from Im happy that Banal is getting the title shot and will more than likely win it but my problem is with the opposition. How the f*ck does Concepcion deserve a title shot. I know AJ is not the one to blame he's just doing his job all im saying is that the organization could have chosen a more deserving opponent for Banal to dispute a world title.

Hell I've seen club fighter with better resumes than Concepsion. I hope you guys understand where Im coming from.

By the way for the guys making smart remarks and complaining about whinning this isn't whinning mothaf*ckers this is a boxing forum to discuss boxing and thats simly what Im doing.

To my understanding two of the higher ranked boxers called up to take Banal backed out if you have been following the developement, you would know. Pluz, the two japanese will fight in an elminator this year, former world champ nashiro. ANd the winner will most likely take on AJB. So, really AJB will have his chance to prove that he is a real champ by beating NAshiro who beat former champ castillo and then loss to a former champ munoz,the dude that the super champion Mijares beat.

:)

Last edited by Numero uno on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:09 pm 
Heavyweight

villa82 wrote:
pOnga wrote:
kindly tell me what a BUM means..?

Concepcion has beaten no one of name, is a complete unknown, has never fought outside of his hometown(which usualy means bad news)and has done nothing to deserve a title shot and his record of 10-2-6 is hardly impressive nor indicates that he is worhty of a title fight agianst someone like Banal.

This is pretty much a gimme for Banal I wanna see him fight a top fighter or atleast a "Ring" top 10 ranked fighter soon I just can't believe this fight is for the WBA title..

For me, Banal is also unknown in Panama (Concepcion's country). That's just fair enough.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:14 pm 
Welterweight

Wong wrote:
villa82 wrote:
pOnga wrote:
kindly tell me what a BUM means..?

Concepcion has beaten no one of name, is a complete unknown, has never fought outside of his hometown(which usualy means bad news)and has done nothing to deserve a title shot and his record of 10-2-6 is hardly impressive nor indicates that he is worhty of a title fight agianst someone like Banal.

This is pretty much a gimme for Banal I wanna see him fight a top fighter or atleast a "Ring" top 10 ranked fighter soon I just can't believe this fight is for the WBA title..

For me, Banal is also unknown in Panama (Concepcion's country). That's just fair enough.

But Banal is much better known in the states and has the impressive record that would warrant a title shot unlike Concepcion.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:17 pm 
Welterweight

Agree.Blame aj's promoter...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:13 pm 
Middleweight

It's a difficult fight for AJ. I've seen Concepcion's fight at "Main Event" and he's really strong. I don't know if it was just a bum that he's fighting, but the guy can punch.

I hope AJ wins this, for another title for PI.

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. - Michael Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:20 pm 
Heavyweight

bugoyking wrote:
It's a difficult fight for AJ. I've seen Concepcion's fight at "Main Event" and he's really strong. I don't know if it was just a bum that he's fighting, but the guy can punch.

I hope AJ wins this, for another title for PI.

don't worry he has enough skills to beat this guy!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:22 pm 
Heavyweight

villa82 wrote:

I understand where some of you are coming from Im happy that Banal is getting the title shot and will more than likely win it but my problem is with the opposition. How the f*ck does Concepcion deserve a title shot. I know AJ is not the one to blame he's just doing his job all im saying is that the organization could have chosen a more deserving opponent for Banal to dispute a world title.

Hell I've seen club fighter with better resumes than Concepsion. I hope you guys understand where Im coming from.

By the way for the guys making smart remarks and complaining about whinning this isn't whinning mothaf*ckers this is a boxing forum to discuss boxing and thats simly what Im doing.

still, it is NOT A BOGUS TITLE.

If you have been criticized and charged with negative things by other people; don't get affected. Their opinion is not your reality. It's theirs. Their negativity is a reflection of their own unhappy existence.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:38 pm 
Heavyweight

Banal's foe is really a bum but if he wins the title, its the start of good things to come for AJ. If you look at it, it seems that the title is being given to him on a silver platter.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:44 pm 
Heavyweight

a title fight on your own soil, against a so-so opponent... by all indications, Banal MUST win this easily.

but as they say, it is never good to take the other guy lightly... never... especially in boxing. one punch can change the complexion and result of the fight.

If you have been criticized and charged with negative things by other people; don't get affected. Their opinion is not your reality. It's theirs. Their negativity is a reflection of their own unhappy existence.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:56 pm 
Heavyweight

villa82 wrote:

you whinging lil crab....Just watch! it's another show bro. think of it that way. Yes. although it's just another fight. We know the real champ is mijares. Don't be too critical. It's better tp get Banal headline an event. Big support, big crowd. Pressure situation. Money rolling in. You get my drift.It's a learning experience like that. Will be a good thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:20 pm 
Lightweight

i disagree that banal is fighting a bum.

true, his 10-2-1 record is far from floyd mayweatheresque, but you should know better than watching a guy's win-loss record on paper.

in 1995 for instance, the ever-so-controversial mike tyson faced one peter mcneeley(36 wins, 1 loss) as his comeback fight from serving his term in prison (for raping a beauty contestant, if i remember right). now mcneeley was REALLY good on paper. heck, his record is probably as good as anyone not named floyd mayweather!!! (yeah i know. i haven't forgotten joe calzaghe, but just to make a point). and for sure, if it was held today, just about everyone would be misled into thinking "this one for a comeback fight? mike tyson must be kidding!!!" well, you see there is something more important than a record. it's who you are fighting. his opponents at that time had a combined record of 148 wins, 346 losses. that means his opponents only won 1 in every 4 fights! heck even bobby pacquiao could probably one-handedly beat a fighter like that. of his 37 fights, he only had 3 opponents with winning records, losing one of them.

on the other hand, this guy concepcion's last 5 opponents has a combined record of 50-11 (draws excluded for simplification). that's an 5 wins in every 6 fights. which means that he's probably the best 10-2-1 fighter in the world right now. so yeah, while this guy probably is not headed to canastota (read:hall of fame material) like our pacman certainly is, he is no peter mcneeley either. and that is good enough for me. :)

have confidence in our elite boxers. banal for instance has worked long and hard enough to get this title shot that he so richly deserves. it's not like he fought bums on the way to this title shot. our often-discriminated boxers (especially pre-pacman era) surely deserve some good breaks sometimes don't you think?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:31 pm 
Heavyweight

:lol: whats the problem? if banal wins then he can fight the best in his division. as if naman isa lang ang legit championship body, you still have wbc, wbo and ibf aside from that of wba. add mo pa ang IBO if you like. if he'll be the champion then he has great chance of challenging other champions to legitimize his status. di ka naman kasi nag iisip :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:35 pm 
Welterweight

TO the TS.. Thats the opportunity that laid upon him.. The opponent has seem less to offer but this is a sanction fight for WBA.. an Opportunity that should not be miss. If it happens that Banal would win then what you are wishing for Banal to fight much bigger names and better fighters would become reality.. The career of Banal would not just end by winning this WBA.. its an opportunity to be in a bigger stage in the future.. How long have you following boxing? You should know this already..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:28 pm 
Lightweight

villa82 wrote:
AJ Banal is no doubt a good fighter on the rise but to get a world title shot agianst Concepcion who is a bum and is no where near deserving of a title shot is pretty bogus to me.

What happen to the days when a fighter had to actualy fight a top fighter to win a title.

Im very proud of our fighters who have won world titles but I will be hard for me to consider Banal a REAL champ until he fights a top fighter for a title.

You have a point but you're definitely wrong! Did you know the circumstances why the # 3 ranked contender Banal has to fight the # 5 ranked Concepcion? If the top contenders have the courage to step up then Banal should have been fighting top fighters as you said.

Last edited by Kumong-kumong on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:31 pm 
Cruiserweight

Location: hey kat im right behind that door - hayden camera (^^,)
TS, every fighter deserved a title match as long as they worked hard for it... w8 for it, AJ have many things to prove... this is just the first step!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next