Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:58 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:59 am 
Cruiserweight

Pinoys should hire a good dietician and have trainors study formally (e.g. plyometircs and advance drills)

About a week ago, AJ Banal went to a friend's stall and asked for a chicken tinola soup. Unfortunately the soup was sold out, he ended up buying shake at Buns and Pizza. Why the heck he was eating outside his gym??? Who is watching his calorie intake? ALA should hire a dietician and chef for their boxers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:17 am 
Heavyweight

caloy76 wrote:
Pinoys should hire a good dietician and have trainors study formally (e.g. plyometircs and advance drills)

About a week ago, AJ Banal went to a friend's stall and asked for a chicken tinola soup. Unfortunately the soup was sold out, he ended up buying shake at Buns and Pizza. Why the heck he was eating outside his gym??? Who is watching his calorie intake? ALA should hire a dietician and chef for their boxers.

A week before a championship fight? Something is really wrong with ALA's boxing program or lack of it.

“I sympathize with those who would minimize economic entanglement between nations. Ideas, knowledge, art, hospitality, travel should of their nature be international. But let goods be homespun and finance be primarily national.”
-Keynes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:25 am 
Heavyweight

Actually, Concepcion fired hard shots to the body of AJ while in the act of clinching with the latter, and this happened almost all the time. This is how AJ became weak and ran out of gas and Concepcion knew it. I have no idea if in the act of clinching while firing his shots is permissible or simply allowed to go on and the referee's intervention only takes place for them to separate when they stop punching. In cases like this, AJ should have hung himself by on the neck (feet off the floor) of Concepcion every time clinching takes place. Funny, but it makes sense, isn't it. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:28 am 
Welterweight

Boom Boom >>> weak chin
AJ >>>>>> poor stamina

but based of the fights of other pinoy prospect (such as Z) their weakness is their stamina...
the pinoys need to have a good conditioning coach

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:30 am 
Middleweight

DarkCloud wrote:
Another prospect tripped on the way to stardom. Banal, just like Boomboom, failed to live up to our expectations. They are good but only at the onset of the fight. The two actually share common weakness... They are good only when pressing the fight but once pressured they loose their composure.

you were just talking about the ALA boys.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:31 am 
Cruiserweight

Yep...if onyl matches are all 6 rounders, maybe we will have countless of world champions.

IALA should focus in Amateur boxing since it's just 4 rounders. Go for Olympic gold!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:33 am 
Middleweight

not common filipino boxers weaknesses but ala boxers common weaknesses STAMINA NIETES,GORRES,BUM BUM, AND NOW ADD AJ TO THE LIST OF LACK OF STAMINA FIGHTERS MAYBE THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH THEIR TRAINING REGIMEN DO THEY HAVE YUSI BREAKS?... :whistle:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:37 am 
Cruiserweight

I do not know also what they are feeding them. Maybe diet is a factor also.

AJ was craving for chicken tinola a week before the fight.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:50 am 
Cruiserweight

Common mistake I've mentioned since posting on this site circa 2004 is relative body size.

I don't think DPDL can bulldozed Boom-boom that easy if their sheer size difference is really that quite significant
Same with Gabi vs Darchi
Same with Gorres vs Darchi
Same with Banal vs Conception
Same with Amonsot vs Katsidis
Same with GP vs DPDL -- the latter size and wayward punching looks dominating

MP to me almost always look at bit smaller against his opponents except that they can't bully him due to his speed, pinpoint accuracy and power.

Bottomline, could it be pinoy's relative mass weight > other nationalities ?
Or the common-sense lack of proper diet and training ?

Look at our amateur boxers when paired against foreign boxers. They almost always the smaller opponent.

Somebody has raised this issue in Philippine Daily Inquirer about this disparity and somebody has seemed not paying much attention to it.

Btw, Bernabe Conception looks almost bigger than his opponent. Is BC more discipline in diet and training than the rest of the packs?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:51 am 
Cruiserweight

rhad wrote:
DarkCloud wrote:
Another prospect tripped on the way to stardom. Banal, just like Boomboom, failed to live up to our expectations. They are good but only at the onset of the fight. The two actually share common weakness... They are good only when pressing the fight but once pressured they loose their composure.

Agree, I think that's what some ALA boys are lacking, defense.

defense?

Z got defense.. but lacks power..

STAMINA MAYBE..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:26 am 
Cruiserweight

spaceinvader wrote:
Gas is expensive, thats why they always ran out of it. tsk tsk tsk - we need a biodiesel champ like Melindo :lol: :lol: :lol:

DREAM!! BELIEVE!! AND!! MULTIPLY!! OH YEAH!! XD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:36 am 
Light Heavyweight

Being one dimensional.

Either we fight well from the inside, or from the inside, but only few could fight in and out.

Gerry Peñalosa
Manny Pacquaio
Luisito Espinosa
Dodie Boy Peñalosa
Nonito Donaire

The above champions doesn't only possess strong punches, but also have good techniques in fighting inside and outside.

Z Gorres, and AJ Banal fights mostly from the outside. AJ would be really hard to pressure if he has good inside fighting techniques.

Another thing is, kulang sa gulang.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:51 am 
Flyweight

cezar_d_great wrote:
It is actually the conditioning discipline that is lacking in these new boxers. When Manny Pacquiao trains, he figuratively kills himself by training hard as if there is no tomorrow, so he can maintain speed and power even at later rounds. By the way, Nonito Donaire is also one example of a hardworking Pinoy boxer who knows the importance of real hard training.

These new Pinoy boxers don't have that mindset and patience to work their guts out in the training. The result? They will never be successful because they fade in the later rounds.
Boxing champions (or any other sport's champions) are also SMART people. They KNOW what to do and what it takes to be a champion.

If you are physically strong to be a boxer, but are not SMART or don't have the brain, you won't become a champion. So, becoming a champion requires physical strength and brain..... Manny Pacquiao and Nonito Donaire have them.

In my opinion, the boxer's mindset and patience should have been set by the training prior to a fight. ALA's topnotch boxers are good but seem to run out of gas with topnotch boxers as well. I think the management should think now of ways to upgrade training regimen including better conditioning with their boxers based on the past results of the performance of their top boxers. It could be acquiring other topnotch trainers and conditioning coaches or get/upgrade training methods for their local trainers (like learning from Roach or other known trainers).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:39 am 
Middleweight

i still would like to blame the style rather than stamina.

Milan Melindo is an exemption--he has a different style (not of ALA's).
He should not change his style.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:31 pm 
Light Heavyweight

jowee wrote:
i still would like to blame the style rather than stamina.

Milan Melindo is an exemption--he has a different style (not of ALA's).
He should not change his style.

I also think it was the style of AJ that became his flaw during the fight with concepcion.

I just hope they teach him phone booth fighting while he is still young.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next