Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:58 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:20 am 
Heavyweight

Wong wrote:
HeHitsTheFloorAgain wrote:
He has no gas left i think. 8),exhausted i should say.
its a lesson learned for AJ, I hope that he will bounce back. :)

Yeah I think so. Funny, others claim he quit and is not a warrior. How can you continue boxing without stamina. It's like a car with an empty gas tank. How can you drive on.

Of course he quit. What would you call that aside from quitting? surrender would qualify also. gave up would also qualify.
He may have taken into account his body's battered condition that's why he quit but still, he quit. 8)

“I sympathize with those who would minimize economic entanglement between nations. Ideas, knowledge, art, hospitality, travel should of their nature be international. But let goods be homespun and finance be primarily national.”
-Keynes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:44 am 
Light Heavyweight

gudz511 wrote:
Wong wrote:

Yeah I think so. Funny, others claim he quit and is not a warrior. How can you continue boxing without stamina. It's like a car with an empty gas tank. How can you drive on.

Of course he quit. What would you call that aside from quitting? surrender would qualify also. gave up would also qualify.
He may have taken into account his body's battered condition that's why he quit but still, he quit. 8)

Yup, Banal quit... Cotto quit... Erik Morales quit... Duran quit... even Manny Pacquiao quit. So what else is new? Doesn't mean these fighters aren't warriors and don't have heart.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:11 am 
Welterweight

What's the point of this thread.

He lost. Tapos.

Let him lick his wounds and regroup with his team.

Hopefully he'll come back with better trainers and conditioners and showcase his true potentials.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:25 am 
Light Heavyweight

Randster wrote:
What's the point of this thread.

He lost. Tapos.

Let him lick his wounds and regroup with his team.

Hopefully he'll come back with better trainers and conditioners and showcase his true potentials.

I think it's to point out that by not standing up Banal has no heart and that had he tried to get up he would have had a chance to win.

Let's put this issue to rest and wait for AJ to bounce back having leaned from this debacle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:20 pm 
Welterweight

dencioPT101 wrote:
tenshio wrote:
I want to hear from those people saying AJ quit and doesn't have heart regarding this info from a recent article:

Quote:
The 19-year-old young rising star was brought to the Cebu Doctors Hospital, Saturday night, after he nearly fainted in the locker room after the war.

Banal was diagnosed to have suffered from extreme fatigue and had low electrolytes.

...According to Aldeguer, had Banal stood up and forced his body to fight, there would be a chance that he would have permanent damage because of the punishment.

http://sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/0 ... .down.html

he can only have low electrolytes from dehydration which makes me think: is he properly conditioned and/or had weight problems prior to this fight?

I Feel that in Banals part I know that He Had a Heart of a Fighter but for me its not Banal who Lost its His cornermen and Trainers who are not effective OUTSIDE the RING!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:17 pm 
Lightweight

LOLz!

Confusing question had the title of this thread!

:mr.blue:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:00 pm 
Welterweight

yes he Quit aj doesnt have it in him to be LEGIT CHAMPION he doesnt have A HEART OF A LION the kid is nothing but hype.he might win one of these PINAS TITLES BUT THATS ABOUT IT FOR MR BAZOOKA HE SHOULD GET A JOB AS A NURSE.......

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:39 pm 
Heavyweight

Yes i think he lost coz he surrendered in the 10th.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:39 am 
Light Heavyweight

AJ did not quit. His legs can no longer carry his body, hence a slight push can bring him down. Am sure he still wanted to put a fight that night, his heart was intact. But he could not because he no longer got the energy to continue. I know he was embarrassed and I hope he will come back as a champion in the very near future.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:32 am 
Welterweight

IN YOUR DREAMS PEDRO IN YOUR DREAMS HE QUIT THATS IT ........

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:04 am 
Featherweight

it's no question that banal was already loosing steam but the drive to continue just to survive 'til round 12 was not there. the way how he immediately get up and knelt down and be counted out did not show that he could no longer continue.

look at how ciso morales' on his last fight do the tricks by circling around the ring, clinching, hugging, etc. just to survive 'til round 12. look at how fana do his stuff just to survive the onslaught of suico and have lasted 12 rounds. same scenarios wherein they already built the lead on the early rounds, as well as that of banal.

he may be criticized later by how he managed to finished the 12 rounds but still it was much better than being criticized by lack of heart and quits.......

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:17 pm 
Welterweight

englishbritish wrote:
Gil P. Acosta wrote:
Englishbritish wrote: pustahan pa tayo, mas tough pa si Banal kaysa sa iyo or sige even against Ledwaba.

Do you even know Banal's age? 19 pa lng. In the boxing profession, batang-bata pa yan. Some boxers are special because i do agree with you some have either God-given stamina,toughness,durability,speed and power. Some may have both of any of the above.
When it comes to toughness, most don't possess that at the start. They don't learn that, they train their body to be tough. Training can only bring you so far, because that toughness has to be tested. Banal is still very young, so in terms of experience, his body isn't battle-tested enough as compared to much more experienced fighters mostly 21 yrs old and above.

I did not say that I am tough. I am not tough. That is why I chose an MD profession because I ain't tough. Yes, I agree with you that physical toughness can be acquired by training. If you read between the lines, you will notice that I was referring to mental toughness: MIND OVER MATTER, MIND OVER PAIN, THE WILL TO GO ON AGAINST ALL ADVERSITIES. Mental toughness cannot be acquired. It is God given. Either you have it or not. As the great Ali puts it: "He doesn't have it." Banal doesn't have it. I am a pure blooded Filipino. As a Filipino, I love my own. I adore Filipino boxers. I am an avid Pacman fan. As a Filipino, I was mad at Banal for quitting. IT LEAVES A BLACK MARK ON ALL FILIPINO BOXERS. AND SURELY AM I NOT HAPPY TO HEAR IN THE SPORT THAT I LOVE THAT FILIPINOS ARE QUITTERS. IF YOU ARE A FILIPINO, I AM SURE WE SHARE THE SAME SENTIMENTS, RIGHT?

okay2x i get the drift. minus the pepe smith part. Good for you that you are an MD by profession. Be it as it may that you meant mental toughness. For an MD how can you be mad for someon quitting because of the cheapshots he received on the side? For an MD you do know how painful that is for an untrained person, for a trained person they can take much more. For an MD you do know no matter how much you train a young body, 19 yrs old at that, won't be able to withstand that much as compared to say 21-22 yrs old body with much more experience.
If you love a fellow Filipino as your own you say, then how can you get mad at Banal for quitting. Do you know the pain he took all those 10 rounds? For an MD you know how dangerous it is for him to possibly have internal bleeding, organ damage by receiving those body punches no matter how muscular or well trained you are.
It's easy to get mad and disappointed when we are just watching and it's not our own life we are endangering. Cut them some slack, they never had the opportunities we or you have to even think about getting MD as their profession in life.
Mental toughness alone doesn't come from quitting. Do you even know how tough it is for him to quit in front of his home crowd? His spirit is willing but his body has been weakened.
Many will say kaya niya pang itayo yan because he doesn't look groggy. He doesn't look groggy because he didn't suffer from punches to the head. He suffered from bodypunches, and those don't reflect on the boxer's face as compared to punches to the head. Those pain from bodypunches only reflect on the way the boxer receives them. pag tumiklop siya,umatras yun na ibig sabihin nun nasaktan na siya sa body punches, but his face won't look groggy.
By getting up and finishing the fight, he could win on points or he could risk so much at a very young age. It's his life and body at risk, not yours not mine. Don't get angry at him for doing what he thinks is right for his own good. If you were to get angry, direct it at his corner for not being able to advise what to do against what the opponent does.

do i see double standard here? Banal's loss to Concepcion was entirely different to Boom2x's loss against Ponce De Leon but both lost title shots, arguably the most important fights in their young careers. In Banal's case, he lost because he quit, out of exhaustion, while Boom2x lost via a legit punch that sent him to dreamland. If we examine both fights, it is clear that Banal still had a chance to pull a victory but he had no heart to continue after absorbing punishment, which, incidentally is what you get with such a profession as prizefighting, while Boom2x was visibly outclassed and outmatched, and even if the fight continued, there was never any chance of him recovering to pull a victory that night. The glaring difference is that, while Banal had a chance to continue and could have continued if he chose, he simply quit. Bautista on the other hand, simply could not continue anymore, even if he made it clear that he wanted still to continue. In short, Boom2x showed more heart between them two. I can't understand however why Boom2x cannot seem to find enough justification for that loss the way Banal enjoys being defended now by some people. And, equally important is the fact that Boom2x suffered a defeat against a certified champ while Banal's opponent was untested commodity and Boom2x even had to go up in weight to face Ponce De Leon. By all indications, there seem to be a double standard in the way some people are treating our fighters after a heatrbreaking loss. Can somebody explain this?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:50 pm 
Heavyweight

gudz511 wrote:
Wong wrote:

Quitting is when you still can fight but did not continue.

Now tell me, on the Donaire-Darchinyan fight, did Darchinyan QUIT or NOT?

Darchinyan did not quit, he wanted to stand up but he is finished. No difference from Banal.
Now do you see the difference????

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:42 pm 
Featherweight

Wong wrote:
sweetpotato wrote:
AJ quit & cried.. not a warrior's attitude. a good fighter posseses speed, power, stamina, focus & heart during fights. w/c i may say i didnot noticed on AJ's side during his battle w/ torito.

Pano kung pakiramdam mong mamamatay ka na pag tinamaan ka pa ng isa, babangon ka pa ba? Pano kung bumangon nga (kunwari WARRIOR talaga) at hinimatay bigla, malamang sasabihin niyo, BUMANGON PA KASE, DAPAT HINDI NA, hehehe....

(Trans: The boxer knows best his body and feels better than the audience).

yes you are right. my point is he really quit. pacman lost twice by a knock out. even if he is being bombarded with punches by his opponent he never quit. a true warrior.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:22 pm 
Heavyweight

sweetpotato wrote:
Wong wrote:
sweetpotato wrote:
AJ quit & cried.. not a warrior's attitude. a good fighter posseses speed, power, stamina, focus & heart during fights. w/c i may say i didnot noticed on AJ's side during his battle w/ torito.

Pano kung pakiramdam mong mamamatay ka na pag tinamaan ka pa ng isa, babangon ka pa ba? Pano kung bumangon nga (kunwari WARRIOR talaga) at hinimatay bigla, malamang sasabihin niyo, BUMANGON PA KASE, DAPAT HINDI NA, hehehe....

(Trans: The boxer knows best his body and feels better than the audience).

yes you are right. my point is he really quit. pacman lost twice by a knock out. even if he is being bombarded with punches by his opponent he never quit. a true warrior.

Theres no difference from how AJ lost from that losses of Pac you said. Both were hit, both were stopped. Both were finished. What is quitting is refusing to continue even if you can (like Andrade vs. Boom-Boom) :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next