Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:59 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:51 am 
Light Heavyweight

JoeyInCali wrote:
Sad to say but it appears he did give up.
You just don't do that. That's called dogging. You do it once, you'll do it again.
Archie Moore was knocked down 5 times against Durelle. 3 times in one round and came back to win on a KO.
To be a world champion, you have to dig really deep. AJ did not dig enough imo.

....he tried to dig...but there's nothing he could find deep down inside him..he just don't have the heart... and that's very sad...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:56 am 
Welterweight

i couldnt agree more wth all the observations here..AJ BANAL LOST THE MENTAL BATTLE...aj may be more technically sound but he lacks plan B if ever things goes the other way around..and sad thing is..hes corner never did something on that EXTRA PUNCH TO AJ'S BODY EVERYTIME THEY CLICH...it definitley zapped AJ's stamina...very huge factor why he lost!Lesson learned for the young fighter and so i hope..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:07 am 
Flyweight

Banal has it takes to become a world champion. Watching from the ring side, all he needs was 20 seconds to survive the round and another 6 more minutes to win the title.

Kowing these guys (Z, Nietes and AJ) and how they trained, I think it's high time for ALA Gym to hire a good conditioning coach (foreign maybe) to ensure that these boxers won't loss the biggest opportunity of their lives just by being winded. They need somebody that could approach the conditioning of boxers more scientifically.

Mexicans trained in dillapidated and very hot gyms; some do it in high altitude. ALA boys trained in world-class gyms where their skills are harnessed but not their endurance.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:51 pm 
Featherweight

was banal burned out in training or he wasn't trained properly? i noticed he lacks power, speed & stamina during the fight plus his team chose AJ to counter punch rather than attack torito. wrong training & gameplan for ALA team? tsk tsk tsk.. poor Bazooka, nasasayang lang un talent nya. i suggest that roach should train AJ.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:41 pm 
Cruiserweight

DaBizz wrote:
I didn't see the fight, but according to news reports, he refused to get up...or didn't even try. Was it lack of heart? :(

AJ did the right thing by not getting up, a lot of damage may be inflicted to him. those body shots made him weak, typical ALA boys, poor conditioning.

He will definitely recover from that loss, charged to experience, he was careless, overconfident when he put concepcion into lot of trouble for several times early on the fight, that should be a good lesson to him.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:02 pm 
Welterweight

newbie_rookie wrote:
rhad wrote:
delpilar wrote:
nobody ever learned anything from an ala boxer's defeat.............

do we need to list them down?

I think this should be addressed directly to the ALA themselves .

they should be thankful for these inputs, esp from somebody who knew that aj would lose after the 1st round, when we casual boxing fans thought that concepcion was wrestling banal to survive that round after that nosebleed :wink:

Just a note... when Abe fought Juan Ruiz, he was totally exhausted because he didn't have time to adjust to Queretaro Mexico's high altitude, still he didn't quit even though Ruiz was employing bullying tactics. (Incidentally, Ruiz is now the NABF featherweight champ). I haven't had the opportunity to watch AJ fight, but if he did "gas out" he should learn to fight a "plan B" fight just like what Abe did... suck it up. And if like what posters here say that AJ quit, I'd rather see a fighter lose by KO than see a fighter give up on his own turf. I believe though that at 19, AJ can still come back.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:06 pm 
Featherweight

I think, one of the reason why AJ lost that bout because of being dismayed from the news recently that instead of the WBA bottle belt it was changed it to INTEREM...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:12 am 
Middleweight

I am saddened by what happened because Banal was winning in the scorecards. He had a terrific performance except for the fact that he did not capitalize on the moments when he hurt concepcion several times. He lacked determination and the killer instinct. I hope he will learn from this loss and move on to become a world champion.

One thing more he tired easily. I thought he trained hard for a long time. He has to build up stamina and learn the technique of regaining speed and power in the late rounds. Manny Pacquiao has mastered this skill.
He should also adapt to the dirty tactics of the likes of Concepcion. He should redeem himself by punishing Concepcion in the rematch.