Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:09 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you like watching Filipino Fighters fight on ABS-CBN sports?
YES 58%  58%  [ 22 ]
HELL NO! 42%  42%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 38
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:36 am 
Light Heavyweight

Mullato wrote:
caloy76 wrote:
It just an observed trend....it's not blaming.

Even the best people in the stock market look at trends and they usually do not go against the trend.

You can attribute the trend of string of losses to the network, if the latter has something to do w/ the boxers' training and conditioning which apparently you cannot attribute to. Let's stop finding scapegoats. Let's accept that their opponents are superior than our boys and let's move on and learn from this experience.

Are you saying that if Solar or GMA7 covered the bout, the results would be different? Give it a rest. You're making a fool of yourself.

I second the motion!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:39 am 
Middleweight

Mullato wrote:
caloy76 wrote:
Maybe...if they didn't mind to play 2nd fiddle to Pacman ;) ;) (I'm just keeping this thread alive....)

You know the definition of jinx right? hehehe

I don't believe in jinx.
Bernabe Concepcion is being touted by Roach as the next Pacman and he won.
How can you explain that? Is it because his fight was covered by Solar? And Solar is the lucky charm? Pag ganoon ang argumento mo, bro, huwag na lang magtraining ang mga boxers natin at magrely na lang tayo sa swerti o sa Solar? Taga Solar ka ba? :lol:

Solar "Siloso"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:50 am 
Light Heavyweight

Failed attempts at a world crown and foiled title defenses by Filipinos (or, ALA fighters, in particular) antedate the current relationship between ABS-CBN (with Dyan Castillejo) and Philippine boxing.

Just a handful of examples:

1. Gerry Penalosa lost twice to In Jo Choo and twice to Tokoyama in world title contests without Dyan and ABS anywhere near the picture then won his present crown with ABS and Dyan covering the fight (Mexico vs. the Philippines, World Cup).

2. Manny Pacquiao himself lost his flyweight crown in Thailand while totally out of range of ABS-CBN's cameras.

3. None of Luisito Espinosa's fights were covered by ABS; neither his victories nor his defeats.

4. When Malcolm Tunacao took the WBC Flyweight title from Singsurat, there was no ABS in attendance. When he lost that crown to Pongsaklek, ABS was not in sight either.

Thus, while ABS CBN may not be an amulet that helps Filipinos win or successfully defend world championships, it cannot be called a jinx, either. As for Ms. Castillejo...well, I'll take her over Mr. Sev Sarmenta. Anytime. A few inanities is a small price to pay for an eyeful. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:15 pm 
Flyweight

:shock: why blamed those guys who facilitated the event.we should not correlated events of the past to the present.Its the responsibility of the fighter and his team on how they prepare for the fight.Its a teamwork effort.With Banal's loss last fight.Its either the team gave instructions but Banal didnt listen to his team or no instructions were given at all to adjust for the fight.Peace to all. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:19 pm 
Light Heavyweight

YOU *****! LOKOHIN MONG LELANG MO....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:23 am 
Cruiserweight

grayfist wrote:
Failed attempts at a world crown and foiled title defenses by Filipinos (or, ALA fighters, in particular) antedate the current relationship between ABS-CBN (with Dyan Castillejo) and Philippine boxing.

1. Gerry Penalosa lost twice to In Jo Choo and twice to Tokoyama in world title contests without Dyan and ABS anywhere near the picture then won his present crown with ABS and Dyan covering the fight (Mexico vs. the Philippines, World Cup).

2. Manny Pacquiao himself lost his flyweight crown in Thailand while totally out of range of ABS-CBN's cameras.

3. None of Luisito Espinosa's fights were covered by ABS; neither his victories nor his defeats.

4. When Malcolm Tunacao took the WBC Flyweight title from Singsurat, there was no ABS in attendance. When he lost that crown to Pongsaklek, ABS was not in sight either.

Thus, while ABS CBN may not be an amulet that helps Filipinos win or successfully defend world championships, it cannot be called a jinx, either. As for Ms. Castillejo...well, I'll take her over Mr. Sev Sarmenta. Anytime. A few inanities is a small price to pay for an eyeful. :)

The jinx started when PACMAN moved to the other network. No Pinoy main-eventer won a world title ever since. ;)

Just like the Curse of Bambino...I call it the Curse of Pacman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:03 am 
Light Heavyweight

caloy76 wrote:
grayfist wrote:

The jinx started when PACMAN moved to the other network. No Pinoy main-eventer won a world title ever since. ;)

Just like the Curse of Bambino...I call it the Curse of Pacman
Whatever you say...

But, just a question: wasn't Pacquiao already out of ABS-CBN when Gerry Penalosa took the WBO Bantamweight title from Johnny Gonzalez? That Penalosa victory was in August 2007 and, if memory serves, the last time Pacquiao appeared on ABS-CBN was on the last of the Pacquiao-Morales trilogy which was in November 2006. The Pacquiao-Solis fight (April 2007) was aired over GMA or some four monts before the Golden Boy Promotions World Cup in which Penalosa stopped Gonzalez.

I recall it having been reported in a Philippine broadsheet back in early 2007 that the Solar Sports-GMA 7 partnership to air the Pacquiao-Solis fight came about as a result of the tandem's paying Pacquiao 20 Million Pesos for the Philippine rights and Arum a hefty 800 thousand dollars.

In short, Penalosa became world champion AFTER Pacquiao went from ABS to GMA.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:32 pm 
Cruiserweight

Who was the main event in that fight??

not gerry....

but your Boom-boom

we are talking about main events here....hehehhehe :shock: read properly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:48 pm 
Heavyweight

this happens to be the craziest poll i've ever seen. wow, but if you are a believer in voodo, then i guess this is true. but then again, free press.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:50 pm 
Light Heavyweight

caloy76 wrote:

not gerry....

but your Boom-boom

I should think you've heard of a double header and a triple header, aka, "double main event" or "triple main event" in boxing.

The Penalosa-Gonzalez fight was a world championship fight, one of two on the card, which was often referred to in the American media and even by GBP people themselves as "a twin bill" or, yes, "double header", whenever they got tired of using such words as "World Cup", "Mexico vs. Philippines", etc.

So that's exactly what we are talking about here. As you can see, I can read just fine. No cause for shock on your part, of course.

By the way, Rey Bautista has not been given to me by ALA so he could not possibly be MY Boom Boom. Thanks for the gesture just the same...

Last edited by grayfist on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:50 pm 
Cruiserweight

lyndon..you're very own red sox believed they were cursed after Babe Ruth left.....It took them almost 90 years to break it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:51 pm 
Cruiserweight

grayfist wrote:
caloy76 wrote:

not gerry....

but your Boom-boom

I should think you've heard of a double header and a triple header, aka, "double main event" or "triple main event" in boxing.

The Penalosa-Gonzalez fight was a world championship fight, one of two on the card, which was often referred to in the American media and even by GBP people themselves as "a twin bill" whenever get got tired of using such words as "World Cup", "Mexico vs. Philippines", etc.

So that's exactly what we are talking about here. As you can see, I can read just fine. No cause for shock on your part, of course.

since Manny left, the ABS promotions always lost the last fight when a Filipino is challenging for a title.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:53 pm 
Heavyweight

caloy76 wrote:
lyndon..you're very own red sox believed they were cursed after Babe Ruth left.....It took them almost 90 years to break it.

yah, even the yankees buried a sox jersey in their stadium. voodo is alive all over. maybe its in our blood already.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:54 pm 
Cruiserweight

llidolyndon wrote:
caloy76 wrote:

yah, even the yankees buried a sox jersey in their stadium. voodo is alive all over. maybe its in our blood already.

yep....there are a lot of funny things happening in sports and maybe we are witnesses of a new one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:02 pm 
Light Heavyweight

caloy76 wrote:
grayfist wrote:
caloy76 wrote:

not gerry....

but your Boom-boom

The Penalosa-Gonzalez fight was a world championship fight, one of two on the card, which was often referred to in the American media and even by GBP people themselves as "a twin bill" whenever get got tired of using such words as "World Cup", "Mexico vs. Philippines", etc.

since Manny left, the ABS promotions always lost the last fight when a Filipino is challenging for a title.
Now, that may be a more accurate way of putting it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next