Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:37 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:33 am 
Light Heavyweight

The opponent clinches, then holds banals one arm and he punches to banal's side with his other.
Instead of opting to block and take those cheap shots, banal should hold both those arms to stop him from doing that.
And i agree kelangan rin ng mga Pinoy boxers natin ng kunting gulang, masyadong mabait laging naiisahan.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:23 pm 
Light Heavyweight

englishbritish wrote:
The opponent clinches, then holds banals one arm and he punches to banal's side with his other.
Instead of opting to block and take those cheap shots, banal should hold both those arms to stop him from doing that.
And i agree kelangan rin ng mga Pinoy boxers natin ng kunting gulang, masyadong mabait laging naiisahan.

The best way to get around this is to punch out of it. He should have thrown punches whenever Concepcion tries to grab and hold. Concepcion would grab with his left arm and blast away with his right. Banal should make him pay whenever he reaches with that left arm by becoming active with his right hooks and right upper cuts. Banal should have started punching first before the opponent could. It should be that "me first" mentality. A body attack should hold better promise than head hunting. It wouldn't matter if the punches landed near or below the belt. The important thing was the referee shouldn't see such close to the belt punches whenever they were thrown. There was no need to dance around like what he did. The key was to stay inside and slug it out. There was a definite need to harness Banal's punching power as much as possible. The best way to do this was inside. Concepcion's punches were wider and telegraphed. Banal's punches were much shorter. He should have been able to land his punches earlier. Concepcion was not a counter puncher. He was a slugger. He couldn't do anything better. The corner could have applied vaseline or oil on Banal's body and arms. This should have made him more elusive to grab and hold. This vaseline and oil trick should work very well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:45 pm 
Welterweight

englishbritish wrote:

This is a Coach Job to find way to avoid that punch made my Concepcion while holding banal but i think they just neglect it, maybe the factor why banal slowing and slowing every round.

Just like Manny vs David, Diaz punch Manny while holding but Manny was able to avoid it by holding his two hands or by punching out Diaz to keep away from him.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:52 pm 
Light Heavyweight

PKT wrote:
englishbritish wrote:

This is a Coach Job to find way to avoid that punch made my Concepcion while holding banal but i think they just neglect it, maybe the factor why banal slowing and slowing every round.

Just like Manny vs David, Diaz punch Manny while holding but Manny was able to avoid it by holding his two hands or by punching out Diaz to keep away from him.

They clearly underestimated Concepcion. They didn't even bother to do anything about it. There were no adjustments on how to accommodate Concepcion's style. Banal came with the same style like before. It would be nice to keep the other camp guessing of what you would be like the time you come up the ring. I think this is the key of Pacquiao's camp. Each time he fights, at least something new is up his sleeve.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:46 pm 
Light Heavyweight

The fact that AJ was not able to punch out of the clinch is because of his tendency to fight from the outside most of the time. Wasn't this the weakness of Z Gorres also, the lack in a sufficient infighting technique tends to make it hard for them to fight durable fighters, specially dirty fighters.

Montiel and Darchinyan gored their way in pressuring Z, while Concepcion did the same way against AJ. Aside from the uppercut, which is thrown by AJ from long way down, he lacks short chopping punches that would help against pressure fighters.

AJ was also clearly frustrated with the tactics of Concepcion, and probably with the notion that he gave his best punches against the guy yet wasn't knocking him out the way others before have done so.

This could be a good learning experience for AJ, as long as he can bear in mind what went wrong in this fight.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:51 pm 
Light Heavyweight

PKT wrote:
englishbritish wrote:

"Just like Manny vs David, Diaz punch Manny while holding but Manny was able to avoid it by holding his two hands" - this should have remedied that, instead of opting to block it with his arm cos some of those cheapshots will really hit the side of the body.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:54 pm 
Light Heavyweight

i don't like and am not used to seeing Banal counterpunch.

Now at least he learns not to rely on power alone, as clearly seen by his frustration not being able to finish a guy who is very durable. Nang nakita niyang ayaw matulog sa mga powershots niya, wala nang ma idiskarteng ibang paraan cos as said he relied on power alone.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:15 pm 
Cruiserweight

clearly banal was so much distracted weakened by concepcion's body punches. and yes, the best way to win over a GULANG is to COUNTER-GULANG.... :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:17 pm 
Heavyweight

A balls sniping lesson from Bobby should do the trick. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:22 pm 
Heavyweight

mexifan wrote:
A balls sniping lesson from Bobby should do the trick. 8)

. . . "magulang" talaga si BobPac. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:12 pm 
Light Heavyweight

they also need to include kinda like "soccer acting", banal was hurt by the low blow & should have acted hurt for the referee to see so that he will be more strict with concepcion. Low blows in boxing, real or otherwise is not something referees will ignore when you are in pain. But instead Banal just went on immediately and didn't give himself time to recover to recover. He ignored the low-blow, so will the referee.

Not many would notice on round 10 because that was the round Banal was KOed, but there was one instance concepcion complained of a headbutt when it was clearly from a punch, there heads weren't even that near. He acted so that the referee will take notice and the referee did.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:26 pm 
Bantamweight

Stick the Jab and uppper cut. James Toney and Roy Jones exposed John Ruiz boxing style. John Ruiz is on a rolls winning fights with Grab, Punch and Grab so he won't be countered. Of course, posted a related topic of this, Gamitan ng Gulang. Ala Gym should also teach their boxers mangulang!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:30 pm 
Welterweight

jab and dance out of trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:49 pm 
Heavyweight

englishbritish wrote:

I believe those "gulang" in the ring cannot be taught instantly but can be learned thru experience.
Also notice that AJ doesn't know how to push Concepcion when clinching esp. those times that Concepcion was hurt.
Does his corner advice him to do pushing when Concepcion clinch?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:51 pm 
Heavyweight

ospelayo wrote:
clearly banal was so much distracted weakened by concepcion's body punches. and yes, the best way to win over a GULANG is to COUNTER-GULANG.... :)

Tagae ug burikat si referee caiz nga may *^#@!%, para ta maka balos niya. :lol: Siya maoy nakaingon napildi si Bai Banal.