Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:18 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: ALA - it's time!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:06 am 
Welterweight

Honestly, I am also hurting seeing AJ destroyed by Rafael. I also expected a lot from this kid. Although 19 years old, it seems he is already mature enough at this stage. However, we have to move on and fight another day
and
I just want to point out a couple of observations in that fight:

1) AJ was off. I noticed he can't deliver timely his counter punches. He had 3) so many missed shots.
2) He lost steam as early as the 5th round. The sting in his punches dramatically dropped at this point including his reflexes.
3) The ALA Coaching team could not address the fight plan of Rafael. El Torito fought smart, very smart, actually. He was moving, clinching, went in and out of Banal's way, and did some boxing tricks that obviously frustrated Banal.

All in all I just thought that AJ lost to a better COACH. Somehow, I have always been a staunch supporter of the ALA camp but this time I heed to some quarters in saying "You guys need a better conditioning coach". Z Gorres, AJ, and even Donnie Nietes are classic examples for world caliber talents with poor stamina at crunch time. With all due respect, Edito Villamor is a good trainer; what you need is complement him with an excellent conditioning coach.

Just my thoughts.

Post subject: Re: ALA - it's time!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:42 pm 
Middleweight

i totally agree with your assessment.
also, train our boxers to go for body shots as well.

if aj went for the body of his opponents too, concepcion would be slowing down as well.