Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:09 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:27 am 
Lightweight

musang114 wrote:
COACHES ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO ATHLETES. THEY ARE THE BLUE PRINT THAT GUIDE THE ATHLETES. AEV LOST TO A WORLD CLASS COACH OF CONCEPCION.

I am sorry to be disagree to you. Villamor is very good in how to technique in boxing. Only the bell to bell fighting is not in his vocabulary. Is it because Villamor and ALA stable are originated in the amateurs of boxing? Villamor teaching in boxing is world class for amateur boxing. Almost like a Cuban boxing coach. Look with your own eyes, how the Cuban boxing is fight in the ring. But in professional, Villamor is need to learn heartfully the Mexican fighting of Barrera and many others. Mexican boxing is not work in amateur boxing. But ALA boxing is working better for amateur. They don't running but always punching and approach their enemies all the time. Like they want to killing them. They is look like matansero looking for the butakal. Villamor is only need to improvement in few boxing styles. I am salute to the ability of technique of ALA fighters. But no salute to their bell to bell skills.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:42 am 
Light Heavyweight

musang114 wrote:
COACHES ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO ATHLETES. THEY ARE THE BLUE PRINT THAT GUIDE THE ATHLETES. AEV LOST TO A WORLD CLASS COACH OF CONCEPCION.

..partly right,... but whose fighting in the ring huh???... ohh right ... it's the boxers... so don't put the blame on these poor ALA TRAINERS... ALA lang... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:11 am 
Welterweight

Silverbullet wrote:
blackwater wrote:
I tell you guys, the boxers of ALA gym can never reach their goal if their present trainors will be the ones training them for the rest of their careers....Time for a cool change brothers.......

Change the owner?

You can't just change the owner easily.
You have to buy ALA gym from him, and if he sells it to you .. . rename it to "SILVER BULLET GYM" and Boom Boom and AJ will be in your mercy.
:twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:15 am 
Cruiserweight

They should move their gym in the mountains. Seclusion is important. It is better to train in the mountains for stamina and less distractions.

Boxers cannot escape and look for good food if the nearest Carenderia is 5 kms away. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:19 pm 
Bantamweight

Stop it :( ... Give them a break...! All they need is time & improvements.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:12 pm 
Lightweight

new king of boxing wrote:
musang114 wrote:

..partly right,... but whose fighting in the ring huh???... ohh right ... it's the boxers... so don't put the blame on these poor ALA TRAINERS... ALA lang... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AEV in my guessing is excellence of a trainer. But everybody is to improve. Espesyally in the boxing world. It is so competitiveness. If only AEV is my friend, I am advise to him to training his boxers in the bell to bell fighting also. Boxing and points win is not enough of all the time. Sometimes, if in your eyes you seeing a fighting enemy can not be beaten by boxing alone. Then fight of bell to bell should be try. And try and trying harder. Boxing is not easy,

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:31 pm 
Welterweight

lacks SCIENCE in training. u got to apply those scientific methods to have a good stamina.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:11 pm 
Featherweight

Randster wrote:
It doesn't matter how good your coaches are I don't think they can teach an athlete to have "heart".

AJ was tested last Saturday not his skill but his heart or willingness to win, and he failed.

Just my thoughts. 8)

amen to that

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:45 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao won WBC flyweight belt by beating Chatchai Sasakul...he is not yet with coach Roach 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:43 pm 
Featherweight

About The ALA Boxing Gym

Hi Brian, hope you can give your insights on this. I'm a Filipino particularly a Cebuano who happens to be the place of the famed world class "ALA" gym where top contenders are molded. I've just noticed their fighters fall short on world title shots like Rey "Boom Boom" Bautista KO'd by Daniel Ponce de Leon, Z "Dream" Gorres lost to Fernando Montiel and a draw with Vic Darchinyan and the recent KO loss to my favorite AJ "Bazooka" Banal by Rafael Concepcion.

I just thought Banal was too strong for Concepcion. If you've seen the fight, Banal pummeled Concepcion with strong punches that almost KO'd the Panamanian if he didn’t hold Banal for dear life. But in the later rounds Banal lost his pace and ran out of gas, then went the shocking KO. I even believe that it was not a strong punch that caught AJ, it's just that he was too tired that even a fancy jab would sent him on the canvas. Stamina was the main factor of the fight.

I have great respect for the trainer and owner of "ALA" stable but I don't think they're capable enough to bring out the best of their fighters. Sorry to say that if AJ Banal was trained by Roca or Roach he could pull the trigger and would have stamina to fight toe to toe even if it went twelve full rounds. But sad to say "ALA" boxers are great in terms of style and power punches but don’t have the stamina to go full rounds.

I hope you can answer these Brian:
1.) What does "ALA" gym lack? Do they need world class trainers or say experts on conditioning or weight management?
2.) If the "ALA" boys were trained here in the U.S with the experts can you say they would have won their world championship fights?
3.) In your own opinion what advice do you have for the boxers and the management of the "ALA" stable to bring out the best on their boxers and among them to compete with the world champions and the world class gyms or stables.

Thank you Brian and sorry if this is quite long but you need to shed light on these. Good luck!

-Soysiken

Soysiken,

The ALA gym and their trainers are very good and I respect what they do very much. They are old school in their teachings though. Most modern fighters (who have the money) also have a conditioning coach and a nutritionist in addition to their trainers.

In the case of Banal vs. Concepcion, yes AJ ran out of gas. Extra stamina would have come in handy but the problem may have been his strategy. He expended too much energy in the early rounds and Concepcion wisely employed a makeshift rope-a-dope strategy that wore out Banal. If Banal had been less tense, less nervous, and paced himself better perhaps the outcome would have been different. This kind of wisdom and ring intelligence comes with time and experience.

The trainers in the USA in general are not better than the ones at the ALA gym. I think that the overall ability of boxing trainers in the US as a whole has steadily declined over the years. There are only a few bright spots of elite trainers like Freddie Roach and Emanuel Steward among others.
Besides, a trainer can only take a fighter so far. He teaches him how to box and it is up to the fighter to show his championship mettle in the ring. I do not have much advice for the trainers at the ALA gym except that conditioning coaches could be helpful for some boxers with stamina problems.
http://www.ringsidereport.com/rsr/news.php

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=106748

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:04 pm 
Heavyweight

Best trainers?

Beristain: Mexican.
Roach: American.

Villamor ranked in the mid-field down. Style hop one-two is not enough for the elite level.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:38 pm 
Cruiserweight

Time to demote someone......

Bato Bato sa langit ang tamaan 'wag magalit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:29 am 
Middleweight

Saying that ALA trainers aren't world class is hogwash. Sure, there were chinks in the armor of ALA fighters, most notably stamina. But haven't you looked into their strengths? Their technique and boxing skills are WORLD CLASS. Compare Concepcion, the guy who beat AJ and AJ himself. Take a look at them closely, the way they fight, and who is generally better and tell me who looks MORE world class to you.
Edito "ALA" Villamor is a world class trainer, but there's always a room for improvement and its good to know that ALA recognized that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:41 am 
Middleweight

eric307812 wrote:
Randster wrote:
It doesn't matter how good your coaches are I don't think they can teach an athlete to have "heart".

AJ was tested last Saturday not his skill but his heart or willingness to win, and he failed.

Just my thoughts. 8)

amen to that

Right after the fight, I agreed with that statement. But after a while, reading all those news about what happened, I was thinking it wasn't about heart. I think AJs heart and mind was willing, but his body just gave out.

Anyway, a loss does not define a fighter, rather its the way he handles it. Just like what Gail Ilagan said... "Defeat, more than triumph, is a better measure of character"..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:47 am 
Light Heavyweight

Well, as far as skills go, the pinoy fighters have it... maybe demoting isn't the best answer, or a change in coaches... Like what the previous poster noted, a great conditioning coach should be brought in. Keep our trainers for now and see what happens when we surround them with better people.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next